post #271 of 557 Old 05-28-2014, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by degobah77 View Post

The only reason Redbox failed for me was because there was always a line and some dolt flipping through every single title available over and over again. Half the titles being out of stock didn't help either.

That's all I care about. I don't do lines. I don't wait. Either I have it now or you just lost a customer. The world revolves around me and streaming supports that.

Bingo, we have a winner! I totally agree, but still not a huge fan of streaming, especially if we ever get 4K content. biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 557 Old 05-28-2014, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 339
slojin wrote,
Quote:
(partial quote see post # 258 for the rest )
BTW, find documentaries on Wurlitzer and NCR and other great industries on puplic domain sites like those below, as well as the Ubiquitous YouTube. As long as we can trust the google snoids not to "filter" our history. Be sure and catch the time travel down S.F. Market street, circa 1905. I used to operate a trolley car on Market Street - and they even paid me to do it!
https://archive.org/details/feature_films
http://www.publicdomainflicks.com/

yea I do some of that as well I Saw the Wurlitzer propaganda film meh it was OK just barley though lots of better real documentry stuff to watch.
I like good documentries.

lots of bookmarks and You Tube playlists here .
probably 350 items in my Netlix watch list another 150 or so at Amazon Prime.

Pellinger archive has lot of interesting stiff so does PBS,jim handy.org and You Tube if you look .

I'm subscribed to over 100 channels on Y.T. and over 100 channels on Roku and over 200 channels on Dish . Plenty to watch just deciding what to watch is the challenge even at that Fox news,CNN,ESPN and the business channels get a lot of time here.

I'm not too keen on CGI films as a rule there are some very good exceptions though
Star Trek into Darkness , Gravity and some of the stuff in the Gladiator come to mind some others are around also. I always liked the Star Wars Pod Races they were cool!

Red Box doesn't have a lot of choices but they do rotate them and you don't have to wade through a lot of stuff to see whats there ying and yang if you will .They are what they are and at the price I'm a satisfied customer. Same for Netflix and Amazon steaming .
I like watching movies from my hdd server that's convenience also.
They have made good films and crappy films since film began they still do ,no news there .

As far as the Pre-Maoist Chinese film, or Wartime Japanese titles? you can keep them watch all you want.
Most history ,film or written (including the scriptures ) is revisionist in one way or another just how it is revised depends on who is documenting it .
History is often half propaganda . Think Christopher Columbus and J.Edgar Hoover just to name 2 .History was my minor in college .

I'm not a movie critic and don't like to rant about what I watch other than to say I like it or not in the appropriate thread much less what I think others should watch on a public forum . You watch what you want and I'll watch what I want and we will all get along just fine .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #273 of 557 Old 05-28-2014, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofAZ1 View Post

tubetwister for me its more convenience than anything else. I also like that my movies can be instantly shared with my whole family without the whole family having to buy the same movies over and over. i also like the fact that some titles on Vudu arent even out on Bluray but are available now in HDX (True Lies for example). granted there is a slight and I do mean slight inferior PQ but you have to get into the 72" and larger screens before its even noticed and not many have screens this size (present company on specialty A/V sites excluded mind you.The largest TV in my shared accounts is 65" so streaming is a non issue and although the audio is lossy its still not much of an issue. Id rather save my money and then buy a Bluray for movies that really call for Bluray and lossless audio (Avengers for example).

slojin, you should really look into Vudu disc search they have tons of really old movies that you just cant find in stores or rentals anymore and in HDX quality. I love the Audrey Hepburn classic "Wait Until Dark" you wont find that on Bluray or in Best Buy stores but I have it in HDX on Vudu.

Cool Vudu might be the thing for lot's of folks it looks interesting I might try it . TBH I use Netflix and Amazon Prime streaming more than Red Box but *for me *Red Box is fine when they have something I want to see and the price is at least half of a digital rental .
Convenience for me is spinning up a movie on my hdd server that's easier than Roku on their player or the PS3 or loading a disk !

For the R.B. price you have to expect some compromises like limited choice you can only stuff so many disks into a Kiosk after all and commercial real estate goes by the S.Q.and or a percentage of sales revenue whether you rent or lease . They probably have to cut some other corners with specific content delivery to meet their business model price structure that's just business.

I look R.B. like Wall Mart ,convenient and cheap for picking up something quick and cheap , but usually (almost always in the case with Wall Mart )not as good as something I would expect to find at someplace more expensive like Macy's or Nordstroms that's where a lot of folks are loosing the perspective here it's all about the business plan very simple luckily most of the DVD's and BD's are *as good ,or almost *as good but otherwise fine for the price. The Levis you buy at Macy's are not the same Levis they sell at Wall Mart for half the money ,even though I already knew that I got it straight from a Levi exec . Same for Target . Just RB like rental Discs are made for them.

I can see where Netflix and Amazon digital streaming might be a problem on larger screens
it looks bad enough on my 40",42" LED/LCD's and 60" plasma up close sometimes but for the most part OK at a normal view distance (most of the time)

I'm not all about 4K either nothing against it either some of it looks pretty darn good even playing 720p/ 1080i/p . All the better sets are going to be 4K now anyway .
No since bitching about it .............long as they keep the rest of the P.Q and upscaling up to snuff . I bought 3 1080p sets .In 2014 ,
a Sammie plasma ,LG and Sony LED/LCD's if I was buying next year I probably wouldn't be able to find a Sony 1080p set .
thats where they are going.

I can see where where high bit rate actual Blue Ray or high bit rate digital downloads would be an advantage especially on a big (over 60" ) screen so I get it when the big screen projector folks talk about it. OTOH even upscaled DVD's can look pretty good on a 40-60" screen with a decent set. .

I can also see that a BD disk has the advantage at all screen sizes . I'm glad we have choices . When I grew up it was 3 OTA networks and one independent and PBS we had 4 channels maybe 5 sometimes (mostly B/W programming until about 1966 when I was a teenanger ) in the bay area that was it period. I was in college when I saw my first VTR at school it was a huge expensive professional RTR rig IIRC it was 2" Quadruplex tape .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
post #274 of 557 Old 05-28-2014, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post

Here's an FCC link for you.

Wow, that government has a page out there that hasn't been updated to reflect the definition of broadband. This shouldn't be surprising to anyone. rolleyes.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post

Frankly I would love to see Rental shops pop up again, we have one remaining hold out, and I hope they stay in business. (Family Video) Redbox was a good concept, but at times you were waiting in line outside in the cold or heat for a person in front of you to make a decision so you could return your movie or pick another one up. I for one would like to see physical media survive for a while longer, seems to employ more people. If we keep on automating stuff we are going to end up like the people on Wall-E.

You can't fight technological change, you have to adapt. Thomas L. Friedman would have a field day with a statement like that.

In terms of the market, Redbox is doing well only because they are in a shrinking market that hasn't fully shrunk yet, and their overhead is so low that they have a good business model for a few years to come. However, the rental stores can't survive with high overhead. Now they not only have cable VOD (which is probably the single biggest thing that killed them) to compete with, but iTunes, Amazon, VUDU, AND Redbox, which does the physical discs for far less.

Also, there are some Redbox clones out there, there's one (not sure exactly what it is) at my local gas station mart thing. Never really paid much attention to it, since I rent through mostly through VUDU HDX and through iTunes or Amazon if it's not available on VUDU or cheaper on Amazon.
Quote:

Wow, lots of "I" this and "I" that.
Dude, we know what you would do.

I clearly delineated fact from my opinion and the consensus opinion of America.
Quote:
\Why are you so dense into thinking I or anyone else should do as you also? You keep forgetting that I don't "stream HD videos" /vudo for very excellent reasons (i.e. cost AND AV quality vs Redbox blu ray). Many here posted the same. Are they all angry old men too? Or perhaps you're just a spoiled child who's always right?

Wow. You really like to argue. You apparently didn't bother reading most of my posts, as I clearly explained why, even absent movie streaming, modern internet users really need a lot more than 2mbps (although probably not 100mbps). And then of course, there might be a movie that you can't get from your local Redbox, even if you wanted to. So there's a place where you would have to stream it, or else you wouldn't be able to get it. I suppose you could do cable VOD, but the quality of that looks NOTHING like Blu-ray, whereas HDX, whether or not it looks exactly like a blu-ray on a large screen is, in any case, darn close.
Quote:
Again, you never answer my direct questions, try if you can grasshopper>
#1 What am I gonna get by going for the next tier level broadband? Specifically what? I can watch a 1080p youtube (when avail---only about 10-20% of the time that option is there for the youtubes I've watched) on my small computer screen w/o buffering instead of 480p? BFD, I don't CARE. But if you do, I would love you to send me the monthly $$$ difference into my paypal account and I will Gladly upgrade!

Otherwise you've convinced me of nothing regarding upgrading----more importantly, paying for an upgrade. I mentioned that I downloaded the biggest file ever in a few years, a whole 107mb that took 7 mins, so I watched a few minutes of recorded DVR. So, I upgrade to the next level and now it only takes 2 minutes or so? For what? At what cost? For downloading something like that once or year or so?
Says the ignorant one who's never watched Vudu HDX in a bigger and better HT theater.

Wait... WHAT? I was going to make another comment about you sounding like an old curmudgeon until I saw the 107MB file remark, and I almost fell out of my chair. Apparently you don't really use a computer, or the internet other than posting on AVSForum, and you haven't bought any computer hardware that requires drivers in a decade or something if the biggest thing you've downloaded is 107MB. That's a relatively small file in today's world. 1-2GB is common, and 5GB isn't that unusual.

People who actually use their computers, or just do basic maintenance on their computers will download files far larger than 107MB. And, for the record, that file would take me all of 8 seconds to download.
Quote:
There's many posters in this thread that agree with me. Debate with them.
Thanks Bieber, your insight is deep.
See, this is what you don't get. That's just fine. You happen to get your media off the internet, I get it through TWC HD DVR. For the 'Cinematic', I drop my electric projection screen to pop in a blu ray. Even you appear to agree with that.

What's the big deal?
You might find it funnier that there are people here laughing too....but just not 'with you'. Well, my guess is you wouldn't find that funny....

Although the whackos always come out of the woodwork on forums, you are going to find very few people who by choice have sub-broadband internet connections on a forum like AVS, where most of the users are technologically competent, and have well above standard levels of technology, like fast broadband, powerful smartphones, and HTPCs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris5028 View Post

In retrospect, had I bought my main display at Walmart I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between HDX and Blu Ray either...

Really? I bought mine at BJs, and that has nothing to do with anything. My display is a top of the line, Sharp 8470 (847 with a different SKU for BJs/Sams/Cosco) 3D LED Smart TV.
Quote:

Disc to digital is just looking for the actual disc for verification. So by putting the library copy in my disc drive at the library it confirms verification and I'm good to go. Don't see how that's illegal. They set up the system. As for the buying codes online. The owner of the physical Bluray's has the right to sell his property (the UV insert card) to whomever he/she wants and so sells them to various sites who then in turn sell them to me at a discounted cost. Nowhere is it stated on the insert card that the card cant be sold or traded. (Ebay itself has a hundred or so for sale right now). Sure its a loophole but one I'm going to take advantage of.

You have to remember that Vudu is still making money off of every Disc to digital I load into my account. I'm loading movies I normally would never load (for my family members because its so cheap) so Wal Mart still makes more money off of me than they ever would had I not figured out the library trick.

Ugh... That's messy. At that point, why not just torrent it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post

Vudu is set up so you can share with 5 people. There is actually an area once logged in to enter 5 emails to share your collection with.

That's actually kind of cool, and gives a purpose to Ultraviolet. Then it's just a matter of getting people on VUDU to use it!
post #275 of 557 Old 05-28-2014, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

Bingo, we have a winner! I totally agree, but still not a huge fan of streaming, especially if we ever get 4K content. biggrin.gif

Especially? The idea of streaming 4k is amazing! And the first 4k content, is, in fact, streaming.
post #276 of 557 Old 05-28-2014, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 50
BiggAW I don't like to torrent and this may sound strange coming from me but the studios don't get paid by torrenting. Where as with me I do get my movies from the library I feel somewhat better that I pay for the digital rights and the studio and Vudu both make some money from me. That and as mentioned my main reason for Vudu is sharing with my family and with torrents I can't do that (well I could but my father would take issue with that). It took me forever that copying my CD's to mp3's and giving to my mom wasn't a crime.
post #277 of 557 Old 05-28-2014, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post

People who actually use their computers, or just do basic maintenance on their computers will download files far larger than 107MB. And, for the record, that file would take me all of 8 seconds to download.

I don't game.
I don't torrent.
I don't really mp3 (listen to superior audio quality CD's)
I of course don't stream HD video.
I already told you my Windows 7 has updated automatically over the course of 3 years and I've never noticed anything odd regarding the download of the files/updating.
I use my computer for emailing, browsing, and various other things. None of which taxes my broadband speed. If it did, I would upgrade. Get it?? No you don't, 'cos you just love to argue.

Again, you STILL haven't told me what I have to gain. What 'basic maintenance' am I not doing--specifically? Why can't you answer this?

I'm guessing you probably game.
You probably torrent---a LOT.
Of course you do HD video streaming.
And apparently have a lot devices that required large file software updates, often. Gawd, I'm kinda glad I don't have to do that.

'You' brought up the 'FCC', so apparently that's not good enough for you now. What a surprise. Move the goalposts. Talk about 'liking to argue'.

Guess what? 2mbps has been working fine for me. I know that's a complete shock to you, and that you think one must be living in a cave to get by on just that. And yet for that 'cinematic experience', you're setup, with all the broadband that you have, still can't compare to my set up.

Now that's shocking.
post #278 of 557 Old 05-28-2014, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 255
BiggAW you don't understand or respect that he doesn't want any higher speed internet?

Edit : he doesn't need any higher speed internet biggrin.gif

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos system for rooms/
post #279 of 557 Old 05-28-2014, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post

You don't understand or respect that he doesn't want any higher speed internet?

It's not a 'doesn't want' situation.
It's a 'I don't need' situation.

He can't comprehend that I don't need higher bandwidth, yet has yet to give me a specific example of why 'I' need higher bandwidth.
post #280 of 557 Old 05-28-2014, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post

You don't understand or respect that he doesn't want any higher speed internet?

It's not a 'doesn't want' situation.
It's a 'I don't need' situation.

He can't comprehend that I don't need higher bandwidth, yet has yet to give me an example of why 'I' need higher bandwidth.

Ok lol biggrin.gif... he doesn't need higher speed internet !!!!...wink.gif

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos system for rooms/
post #281 of 557 Old 05-28-2014, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Physical media is a completely outdated model. I would much rather pay more for the VUDU HDX rental, because if I decide that I want to see it that moment, I don't have to get in my car, burn gas up going somewhere, have them maybe not have the movie, bring it back, and then have to worry about returning it. With VUDU HDX, I get blu-ray quality in probably 10-20 seconds. I don't buy streaming, because I hate the platform lock-in, so if I buy, I'll buy it via Amazon Prime, but I just rent most stuff, as most I won't watch over again anyways.

Posts like this scare me!

I've seen plenty of movies a ton of times.

Just because you don't, doesn't make it outdated.

I wouldn't mind paying $30 or even $40 / disc if it was a perfect disc.

TK Doom

Unreal Tournament Forever
Project Gotham Racing too!

post #282 of 557 Old 05-28-2014, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Especially? The idea of streaming 4k is amazing! And the first 4k content, is, in fact, streaming.

BiggAW: That all depends, sorry to burst your bubble but I love technology and I usually embrace it, especially if I like it. And sure I have adapted to many changes, I work in the medical field and some times they are pushed on you when they are not needed. If you have Fiber Optic lines, I don't think 4K streaming will be an issue, but that is going to be a lot of infrastructure change and who is going to pay for it, "The Consumer". Right now I still use DirecTV, but most of my real movie time watching is done by renting via Redbox Blu-Rays or just buying them if I really like the movie or TV series. Just remember there will be more lost jobs than new ones created if we all adopt, just push a button technology. I mean we could go on and debate this, and just because some one has a difference of opinion doesn't mean they have to adapt or die. You talk a lot about Facts, and one thing I know on the good old net, "Facts" are not what they use to be! LOL biggrin.gif I do agree with you on cable on demand, DirecTV/iTunes and Amazon has killed the physical media markets which is sad, as it is costing jobs left and right, again the good people high up the food chain that want to automate everything are creating a monster in the long run, as not everyone will be able to afford things down the road because they will be jobless replaced by technology that cost them their job. Look at the Magazine industry, Newspaper etc.. etc.. But that is a whole different debate.

I am basically on technology overload! I have new Camera, a Nikon DSLRs that shoots 1080p/60 and Mirror-less cameras as well, and current computer technology Apple iMac Quad Core processor with dual 27" screens more receivers that you can shake a stick at and speakers coming out of my ass! biggrin.gif Along with 2 PS3 a Xbox 360 and a PS4... Too many tablets to speak of etc...... So I am a techno geek, now I got that out of the way, I think we are missing the simple things in life, and I think we are creating technology overload and dimwitted people that are so stuck to their Smart phones they don't know how to verbally communicate anymore! wink.gif

TK Doom: I am with you, anytime some one is over pushing a concept or a semi adopted idea, they start using "outdated" model etc.. Guess what, I like getting off my ass and going to return a movie, like I said before in a previous post we will all end up like the Fat people on the spaceship in Wall-E because we just push a button to order some thing, without getting out of our seat for hours on end.

Speaking of simpler things, time to go read a book and shut this computer down, as I see in my post I am repeating myself! eek.gif
post #283 of 557 Old 05-28-2014, 10:19 PM
Advanced Member

I can see things from both sides. I love the PQ and AQ from Bluray (it can't be beat and that's a given). I guess I like the idea of Vudu HDX because after Bluray came out I started re purchasing a lot of my DVDs to Bluray then selling the DVDs for pennies. Then after I bought a few hundred Blurays I got into Vudu then discovered that I could add my parents, sisters and nephews. After comparing the PQ of Vudu to Bluray and noticing very little difference and then figuring I can buy movies from 1.00 - 5.00 (for new releases) in HDX and to share it was a no brainer.

Now say 4K becomes the norm in a few years I would be pissed that I once again paid full retail price 15.00 - 25.00 per title again just to have to upgrade again for the 4K versions when they come out. For now if I lose out on 1.00 - 5.00 per title then that's an acceptable loss. I'm just tired that I paid a fortune for videotapes, then DVDs and got a pretty good start on Blurays before I realized I can live with the very slight inferior PQ (and I do mean very slight) if I can save a bunch of money. Because as it stands I'm currently getting 10 HDX movies for the cost of one Bluray and to be able to instantly share my entire collection and they with me than its worth it.

Now if I had a projector and big arse screen than yeah I would be more critical of streaming but since I don't and I can't see hardly any difference in streaming vs Bluray I'll save my money. Tonight I watched "Lone Survivor" and not only was the PQ outstanding a nice sharp crisp and detailed picture (running at almost 13 Mbps) but the audio was first rate also and tons of surround sound activity. It was so worth the 5.00 I paid for the HDX version. For those that paid 20.00 for their copy I hope you enjoyed paying four times as much as I did. But I'm just tired of paying full price for new releases now that I have alternatives.
post #284 of 557 Old 05-28-2014, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

UofAZ1: Who says we are paying 4 times as much. You can't rent it yet according to VUDU so you must have bought it for $14.99 via HDX version? I can rent it on Blu-Ray for much less at a RedBox. But I will most likely buy that one. wink.gif

http://www.vudu.com/movies/#!content/497068/Lone-Survivor Seems to me to be $14.99 for the HDX version if you want to buy it, only right now. iTunes does this as well and so does DirecTV, frankly it should be released on the same day on all formats, physical or downloads.

I am using a 100" screen with a Sony HD projector, and when it comes to movies on VUDU/iTunes and Amazon I do notice a difference in PQ.
post #285 of 557 Old 05-28-2014, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Pretty good Post there Garman in fact a very good post I've got 5 newer HDTV's here , 2 Roku's ,PS3,Dish TV .Netflix,Amazon Prime and Pandora, 3 PCs. and a LAN server . Each PC has it's own 24"monitor and a 40" HDTV connected to it a Digital Audio Workstation in a treated studio here , outboard gear ,nearfield and midfield studio monitor speakers,2 subs ,a pair of monster 3 way vintage EV sentry III's with a 15" and 2 horns in each one , phones ,compressors,amps ,preamps ,interfaces ,takes a dedicated i5 PC to run the s#!!t and and some other stuff in there. and some seldom used decent vintage gear also. Sounds better than many 20 30k home set ups I've heard with music anyway it's not an HT set up .

I have a modest Sony ES AVR ,PS3 ,a wheel ,shifter and pedals and a game chair for driving sims , some decent floorstanders and 3 way 8" surrounds and center and a 15" sub. for the movies nothing extravagant there though .

Sometimes it seems like a full time job to keep it all running although on the PC's I've got the maintenance and update schedules automated for overnight tasking .

All this crap isn't half as fun as climbing and catching some gravity on a Mt. Bike not even remotely close . I still have 2 decent hardtail Mt. bikes ( one of the last Homegrowns and a Trek all Shimano XL/XT,decent brakes ,wheels and tires shocks ,seats ,Stems and bars ) and all the other stuff that goes with the hobby. I can't ride anymore since a by pass surgery or a little before it also .

I'd loose all this stuff in a minute ,go back to CRT's ,60 something channel Comcast TV ,
,DVD's s#!!t even VCR's if I had to ! , a P4 17" CRT screen or 19" LCD and 760k dsl, a dumb feature phone without smarts , all this stuff to ride the bikes !
Nothing like a 30 + mile x country mt bike ride or a group blood ride with some gravity in the middle and a cold one when you are done!

You are right simple is better ,we are raising a generation of Tech Tards and becoming tech tards as well, nothing more ,nothing less at ours and their peril and at the same time enriching the tech investors ,Wall st and V cap's it's phone tard and pad tard madness !
Garman likes this.

post #286 of 557 Old 05-28-2014, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

tubetwister: A thumbs up from me, fellow rider here! I use to race MTB bikes and still Ski Race from time to time. Still riding a Klein! My kids do not have Smart Phones yet, my oldest 14 did but he abused the privilege so we took it away. We have a timer on computer, and we don't allow any tech time up at the Lake House, unless the weather is bad. Kayaking, Swimming, fishing and boating and any physical activity to keep them from becoming Jellyfish! LOL I like the Tech Tard slaying, so I am going to use that on my kids from now on! biggrin.gif
post #287 of 557 Old 05-28-2014, 11:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

UofAZ1: Who says we are paying 4 times as much. You can't rent it yet according to VUDU so you must have bought it for $14.99 via HDX version? I can rent it on Blu-Ray for much less at a RedBox. But I will most likely buy that one. wink.gif

http://www.vudu.com/movies/#!content/497068/Lone-Survivor Seems to me to be $14.99 for the HDX version if you want to buy it, only right now. iTunes does this as well and so does DirecTV, frankly it should be released on the same day on all formats, physical or downloads.

I am using a 100" screen with a Sony HD projector, and when it comes to movies on VUDU/iTunes and Amazon I do notice a difference in PQ.

Garman paid 5.00 for the HDX version of Lone Survivor from a third party vendor. You don't have to buy movies direct from Vudu. Plenty of new movies available for cheap. Just type UV Codes for sale in your search engine and viola movies for cheap.

Also I don't rent movies all my movies are bought and owned for less than 5.00 I wouldn't pay anymore.
post #288 of 557 Old 05-28-2014, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Garmin wrote,

tubetwister: A thumbs up from me, fellow rider here! I use to race MTB bikes and still Ski Race from time to time. Still riding a Klein! My kids do not have Smart Phones yet, my oldest 14 did but he abused the privilege so we took it away. We have a timer on computer, and we don't allow any tech time up at the Lake House, unless the weather is bad. Kayaking, Swimming, fishing and boating and any physical activity to keep them from becoming Jellyfish! LOL I like the Tech Tard slaying, so I am going to use that on my kids from now on! biggrin.gif

Way to go sounds like you have it figured out ! I had a riding buddy with a Kline suspension bike thing was wicked fast I couldn't keep up with him on the rough stuff or down hill he was better rider also and 10 yrs younger . We had some good rides though!

post #289 of 557 Old 05-28-2014, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

removed

post #290 of 557 Old 05-28-2014, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Ah, fellow mt bikers. A Klein....that's dating yourself! Going for a long ride with the guys tomorrow on the Middle Fork of the Willamette Trail. Only hardtail I've got is my Trek Carbon Pro, now a singlespeed, altho my Moots YBB is almost a hardtail, still prefer to pick one of my several Santa Cruz full suspension bikes in my old age for comfort. I've spent as much on a single bike as my living room setup costs....does that make me a cyclophile? smile.gif

post #291 of 557 Old 05-28-2014, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Ah, fellow mt bikers. A Klein....that's dating yourself! Going for a long ride with the guys tomorrow on the Middle Fork of the Willamette Trail. Only hardtail I've got is my Trek Carbon Pro, now a singlespeed, altho my Moots YBB is almost a hardtail, still prefer to pick one of my several Santa Cruz full suspension bikes in my old age for comfort. I've spent as much on a single bike as my living room setup costs....does that make me a cyclophile? smile.gif

Yea but the bikes are more fun at least they used to be ! nice bikes there ! enjoy the ride!
I was in my 50's healthy or so I thought so did the Dr. s all the usual tests including stress tests were fine I do thirty miles on the bike x country 3 times a week and not even think about it . I was riding 70-90 miles a week in the spring and summer .

I started slowing down a bit didn't think much about it to a point then I started to get tired doing normal stuff very uncharacteristic went to see the dr. he sent me to a cardiologist they did and ultrasound and he said I 'd like to admit you to the hospital for a by pass . I said when .. he said right now .

I said you're kidding he said no right now today! I went home packed a bag made some phone calls , I was there and admitted about 3 hrs after I left the dr. couple of days later after a 12 hour surgery and 28 days in the hospital and $ 985,000 in hospital and dr. bills I got out ~ 28 lbs lighter, lost a ton of muscle mass .

Glad I wasn't under the new "affordable health care" or worse on a VA a wait list although I could have been ! I had blue cross and used that like always ,there was no resistance from them I have to say there was no hesitation on their part co pays were expensive though . I walk every day ..not far though not the same as a bike ride .

post #292 of 557 Old 05-28-2014, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Garman paid 5.00 for the HDX version of Lone Survivor from a third party vendor. You don't have to buy movies direct from Vudu. Plenty of new movies available for cheap. Just type UV Codes for sale in your search engine and viola movies for cheap.

Also I don't rent movies all my movies are bought and owned for less than 5.00 I wouldn't pay anymore.

Got it, 3rd party vendor, like the concept but I wonder how long that is going to last before the Hollywood Lawyers catch on. wink.gif Legal now, just hope it stays that way. I was just going off of VUDU, but how in the hell did you get a HDX version already for 5 bucks? Some one had to buy the move for $14.99 then sell it for 5 bucks? Doesn't make sense unless they are selling the codes many times over.

lovinthehd: Well it's a Klein Mantra, climbs like a Mountain Goat, but needed work on the fast downhill runs, I had to re-tweek it so it worked better. Riding Trek Caron stuff now and a Fuji Tahoe for trails only. Franky its a POS. wink.gif but fun to beat on.

I did take my friends Santa Cruz Tallboy 2 out Carbon XX1 ENVE, that was a sweet (|) ride but I have 3 kids too feed! Almost 10k for that puppy!
post #293 of 557 Old 05-28-2014, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

For purchased blu's it's pretty much all 'used' here. Probably 90% of my 200+ blu ray collection are used discs in the $4-$8ea range.

If I have to see a new release, a $1.5 redbox rental will satisfy. And if it's a keeper (willing to watch it again), I'll just buy it used a few months later for $6 or so.

At those prices (rental and purchase), it doesn't make sense for me to stream.
post #294 of 557 Old 05-28-2014, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

My friend tweaked his Kline quite a bit he was having downhill problems as well and breaking things . Strangely enough he made it work with some parts off of a Marin suspension bike ! The bike was 2 different colors with the Marin parts being one color and the Kline parts another but it worked and was wicked fast downhill climbed good also ! I remember when I thought I wanted a Specialized Brain anybody remember those ? I like d the Santa Cruz suspension bikes also . Trek Carbons were more than I had in my pocket plus I'd be afraid of dinging it and not knowing anything about a Carbon bike .
I was used to light Aluminum hard tails The Schwinn homegrown was a real decent hard tail .

post #295 of 557 Old 05-28-2014, 11:57 PM
Advanced Member

Garman people buy the Bluray then sell the HDX code for say 2.00 to a vender. The vender then lists the code for sale on his site for 5.00 I buy it then use the one time code and it's mine and the code is no longer valid. Video stores buy tons of Blurays then sell the UV codes to third party vendors to recoup their money.
post #296 of 557 Old 05-29-2014, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 741
tubetwister--sorry to hear about the ticker. I've slowed down last few years due to a desk job and commute time reducing riding but getting out more frequently now that I got rid of the job smile.gif. Ya never know when the ol' body will throw a monkey wrench into the works. I got some good rides in over the weekend, tho and tomorrow's should be good....gotta get in shape, am scheduled to guide at a couple local events this summer. Many Kleins had issues, they were more than anything light (and great paint jobs)....like the old Keith Bontrager rule (another mtb pioneer who eventually sold out to Trek)....pick any two: cheap, light or strong. I remember the Brain shocks...

garman---my buddy who visited over the weekend brought his fairly new carbon Tallboy 2 with him, man is that thing light. He was telling me a buddy of his just got one of Special Ed's latest and greatest 29ers that weighs 21 lbs....apparently cost well north of 10k. Gettin' pricey!

post #297 of 557 Old 05-29-2014, 02:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

tubetwister--sorry to hear about the ticker. I've slowed down last few years due to a desk job and commute time reducing riding but getting out more frequently now that I got rid of the job smile.gif. Ya never know when the ol' body will throw a monkey wrench into the works. I got some good rides in over the weekend, tho and tomorrow's should be good....gotta get in shape, am scheduled to guide at a couple local events this summer. Many Kleins had issues, they were more than anything light (and great paint jobs)....like the old Keith Bontrager rule (another mtb pioneer who eventually sold out to Trek)....pick any two: cheap, light or strong. I remember the Brain shocks...

garman---my buddy who visited over the weekend brought his fairly new carbon Tallboy 2 with him, man is that thing light. He was telling me a buddy of his just got one of Special Ed's latest and greatest 29ers that weighs 21 lbs....apparently cost well north of 10k. Gettin' pricey!

Cool have a good ride you know what they say "If you aren't bleeding, you aren't riding hard enough." biggrin.gif

21lbs for a 29er is light should climb like a scalded dog my 2000 26" homegrown is about 22- 23 lbs gvw.
I have Bontrager wheels on the homegrown . I remember when he sold out to Trek I'm surprised they didn't buy Schwinn now Pacific cycle a dept store bike maker (Target/Wall Mart /Costco vendor mfr. ) in Asia owns them along with GT and maybe Mongoose ?.

post #298 of 557 Old 05-29-2014, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Garman people buy the Bluray then sell the HDX code for say 2.00 to a vender. The vender then lists the code for sale on his site for 5.00 I buy it then use the one time code and it's mine and the code is no longer valid. Video stores buy tons of Blurays then sell the UV codes to third party vendors to recoup their money.

Thanks good to know, I googled it and their are apparently a ton of places that have them. wink.gif
post #299 of 557 Old 05-29-2014, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess I should look into this---as in, selling codes to a Vender. But, since much of my blu ray collection is used (either ex-rentals or previously owned), how would I know that the codes haven't already been sold off? This could be an issue since many of my BD are indistinguishable between a BD I bought new and a previously owned or rental (some rentals I took the rental sticker off due to it weeping sticky residue).

And who/what would be a good place/site to sell to?

And, are the DVD's that come with some of the blu's worth anything?
post #300 of 557 Old 05-29-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

fleaman: I am with you on Blu-Ray rentals and buying them, some one has too keep people employed. wink.gif The ex-rentals or previously owned Blu-Rays might have a flyer left behind that has a digital download code, if it is missing most likely the person used it or rental or used shop sold it off. Some of them have expiration dates on them which is BS, if you bought it you own it. Hollywood is not coming up with any new ideas when it comes to movie making so, they will find more ways to ding us down the road, get everyone use to some thing then start charging them more, remember when ATMs were free! biggrin.gif
Closed Thread Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page