post #361 of 411 Old 07-15-2014, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Quick off-topic question: Is Auro-3D an object-based audio format like Atmos?
It wasn't originally, but it recently added some object-oriented capabilities.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 411 Old 07-15-2014, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
I have, many times, and it's well worth getting excited about. I've also heard demos of the home system, and it's also very exciting.
I'm getting excited.

* I live North (Canada) - I don't think we have Dolby Atmos theaters here?
post #363 of 411 Old 07-16-2014, 03:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

Are you anxious to try Dolby Atmos at home? The good news is Blu-ray discs will feature the object-oriented surround-sound format starting this year.

-------

Today is definitely Dolby Atmos day in the news. TWICE.com reports that the object-based surround-sound format will be available on select Blu-ray released as early as this fall.

"Dolby said consumers likely won’t need a new Blu-ray player to play Atmos-encoded discs because “existing players that fully conform to the Blu-ray specification will be able to support Dolby Atmos content on a Blu-ray Disc,” - See more at TWICE.com

According to Dolby, the main requirement to enjoy Atmos at home is a compatible AVR. Fortunately, both Onkyo and Pioneer announced new Atmos-compatible receivers today. The format is compatible with HDMI 1.3 and above, as well as current-generation Blu-ray players. It looks like the future of home AV audio is finally here.

Are you planning to upgrade to Atmos?

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+

What kind of speaker setup do we need?

55" Panasonic VT50 (hopefully snag a 65" VT60 before they are history)
Denon 5308ci (want to upgrade to a model with 3d HDMI pass-through)
Oppo Blu-Ray Player
2 KEF iQ90 Floorstanding Speakers for L&R Channels
KEF iQ60c Center Channel
4 KEF iQ8ds Di-Pole Surrounds
KEF PSW2500 Sub
Xbox 360
Xbox One
post #364 of 411 Old 07-16-2014, 05:23 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Check out the other thread:
The official Dolby Atmos thread (home theater version)

Stewart Firehawk G3 92" screen
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 5030 UB
Denon AVR-4311CI - 7.1 surround sound setup
Denon AVR-X5200W
Blu-Ray: Panasonic DMP-BDT360, Oppo 93 & 103
Klipsch Speakers: RF-82, RC-62, RS-52, RB-61
post #365 of 411 Old 07-16-2014, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
I asking the following questions in the "Dolby Atmos Comes Home" thread in the AVS Forum Podcasts forum but didn't receive a response yet. Thought I would ask here too...

I have two questions:

1. If I were to use the top-firing speakers to emulate the ceiling speakers, do all the speakers (mains and surrounds) have to be at or around ear-level for the top-firing speakers to work?

2. Are the top-firing speakers specially designed for Atmos ceiling speaker emulation or can I use any other speaker and position it on top of the main and surround speakers and aim it towards the ceiling?
1. The up-firing drivers are angled and fairly directional. As such, the proper elevation of the speaker would depend on the distance from the main listening position to the speaker, the height of your ceiling, and the angle at which the driver is pitched. Andrew Jones could probably give more specific information regarding the angle at which the driver is pitched on the Pioneer speakers. I am assuming that they determined the proper angle under the assumption that the front facing CST would be at ear level, that your ceiling would be approx. 8 feet above finished floor, and that the speaker would be 8-10 feet away from the main listening position. Let's assume that the upward firing driver is roughly 4" higher than the front CST. If the ceiling is at 8 feet and typical ear level of an adult sitting on a couch is roughly 3'-8" above finish floor then the sound from the up-firing driver would need to travel approx. 4'-0" vertically to get from the driver to the ceiling. It would then travel another 4'-4" vertically to get back down to your ear level. At the same time it would have to travel approx. 8 feet horizontally. So, if my assumptions are correct, the angle at which the up-firing driver is pitched is likely close to 45 degrees. This would also work out pretty well for a 10 foot ceiling with 10-12 feet between the speaker and the main listening position. If the ratio of ceiling height to speaker distance differs greatly from 1 to 1 then you could compensate to an extent by adjusting speaker elevation and/or tilt the speaker in order to get the reflected sound to hit your main listening position at ear level. However, keep in mind that this can negatively impact your ability to hear high frequencies coming from the front CST or get proper directionality from the front drivers.

2. If you are mounting the speakers in or on the ceiling, you could use just about any good ceiling mounted satellite or in-ceiling speaker for the Top channels, though you probably want it to be as closely matched to your other speakers as possible. However, if you plan to bounce sound off of the ceiling, then you will need to go with a speaker that at least has directionality characteristics similar to an Atmos-enabled speaker, if not a speaker that was designed specifically for Atmos.
post #366 of 411 Old 07-16-2014, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Agreed, I believe most people with existing home theaters will simply install ceiling speakers or mount angled speakers at ceiling level. I don't believe the "Atmos enabled" speakers will be replacing many peoples fronts & centers. That would be a huge cost just to own Atmos enabled speakers. Many HT consist of very nice and hi-end speakers. I cannot imagine those people selling everything and starting over. We are only adding a new Atmos receiver and 2-4 more speakers and hoping movies will be release in Atmos.
Great conversation although were starting to ask the same questions over and over again.
post #367 of 411 Old 07-16-2014, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, i sold off my whole system and start over.
This was Meridian audio, so i guess high end.

They seem to move to 2 channel systems, so it was time to leave it behind.
post #368 of 411 Old 07-16-2014, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I feel like a big revolution right now; Dolby Atmos embedded on some upcoming Blu-ray movies! ...It's like a new dimension in my surrounding world, and right in the comfort of my own room @ home.
This causes for fragmentation of the space I live in. ...Object of celebration. ...Only a fraction of better things to come.

I am super excited, are you?
post #369 of 411 Old 07-17-2014, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I almost purchased a Meridian system. I decided instead to purchase McIntosh Amps and B&W 802D setup. Neither was Atmos ready.. I Still wonder if Atmos will be worth it in the beginning. Perhaps when they have a few thousand Atmos titles available, until then my 11 ch. dolby system works awesome. I still may add some ceiling channels for future Atmos expansion.
I really liked the methodology of Meridian, active speakers, phone cord for speaker wire (huge savings if your the type to purchase expensive wire and Inter connects). No need for external amplification since the speakers are active. (another savings) what I didn't like was the need for a Meridian only processor. Its seems like the good idea's where you could save money you for paying for it in the end when your forced to purchase a $8,000+ processor. I wasn't a huge fan of the sound either, especially when comparing other brands between $10-$20,000. Im sure you got sold your set for good money, you will have no problems purchasing an Atmos system.

Last edited by rlhaudio; 07-17-2014 at 09:28 PM.
post #370 of 411 Old 07-19-2014, 12:44 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Well 30-40% of new price in average, but some items were 10 years old (800v3 some dsp speakers over 6 years etc)

Perhaps genelec speakers this time, have the power leads already for every speaker position, did prepare for front heights during install in the hopes of prologic2z (which never was supported)
post #371 of 411 Old 07-19-2014, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
I'm getting excited.

* I live North (Canada) - I don't think we have Dolby Atmos theaters here?
You should be excited. I saw demos a few weeks ago at Dolby in Burbank and I was pleasently surprised at what I heard. My colleagues and myself all walked out saying I got to have that.

It looks like Dolby is available in about 30 screens in Canada, I suspect in the major cities. I live in the Los Angeles area and we only have a handful of screens here, so it may never come to the smaller cities. It all depends on if Dolby Atmos drives ticket sales. But at the very least the studios seem to be supporting the format and you will have the option to have it in your home.
post #372 of 411 Old 07-20-2014, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
I feel like a big revolution right now; Dolby Atmos embedded on some upcoming Blu-ray movies! ...It's like a new dimension in my surrounding world, and right in the comfort of my own room @ home.
This causes for fragmentation of the space I live in. ...Object of celebration. ...Only a fraction of better things to come.

I'm excited as well let's hope things move faster then past upgrades like blu-ray verses HD that went on for what seemed forever.....
Then came 3D I upgraded everything and jumped right in but 3D content was lacking and it seemed again forever before you could start buying maybe 3 New blue-ray discs a year...
Then 4K comes along I'm not jumping in there yet....
So I'm excited that Atmos is coming and Dolby Atmos discs are coming late this year but how menny will there be????? So these new Atmos receivers will they simulate high content ???? Till we have a big enough collection but I'm hoping that there will maybe be like a cloud that you'll be able to stream from. Forget broadcast getting on board look how long it took for them to broadcast in HD once alot of us had a HD TV which seemed for years and you know the rest of the story

My main setup
PN60E8000 Plus evolution 2013Kit + Directv genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 818 9.2 Bic F12 subs Onkyo M-5010 2-Channel Amplifier for wides.
MY 10' X 15' DEN
PN51F5500 + Directv Genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 737 5.2.2
post #373 of 411 Old 07-20-2014, 10:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post
So these new Atmos receivers will they simulate high content ????
I expect that bringing what DPL IIz does to overhead speakers will be a big improvement to ambient effects.

Noah
post #374 of 411 Old 07-20-2014, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I have some extra smaller bookshelf speakers so do you think if I place them on there backs on top of the front mains firing to the ceiling at a 45 degrees angle do you think that would work???

My main setup
PN60E8000 Plus evolution 2013Kit + Directv genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 818 9.2 Bic F12 subs Onkyo M-5010 2-Channel Amplifier for wides.
MY 10' X 15' DEN
post #375 of 411 Old 07-20-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
I have some extra smaller bookshelf speakers so do you think if I place them on there backs on top of the front mains firing to the ceiling at a 45 degrees angle do you think that would work???
They will produce sound. But should not work well, if at all, in reproducing the sound as intended. .

Dolby has strict guidelines for what constitutes an Atmos Elevation speaker in order to work as such.

It isn't just the speaker but also processing in the receiver to make them work.
post #376 of 411 Old 07-20-2014, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post
They will produce sound. But should not work well, if at all, in reproducing the sound as intended. .

Dolby has strict guidelines for what constitutes an Atmos Elevation speaker in order to work as such.

It isn't just the speaker but also processing in the receiver to make them work.
So can you clarify what type of speaker would you need what would be the differences between ceiling speakers firing down or a speaker firing up bouncing off the ceiling. Isn't a speaker a speaker. Thanks in advance for you answer.

My main setup
MY 10' X 15' DEN
post #377 of 411 Old 07-20-2014, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:

Yes, I am!!!!!

Nabs17
post #378 of 411 Old 07-20-2014, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I hope to have everything in place for the Extended edition of the Hobbit Trilogy with a Atmos soundtrack.

Nabs17
post #379 of 411 Old 07-20-2014, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
So can you clarify what type of speaker would you need what would be the differences between ceiling speakers firing down or a speaker firing up bouncing off the ceiling. Isn't a speaker a speaker. Thanks in advance for you answer.
http://twit.tv/show/home-theater-geeks/214

The OFFICIAL Pioneer Dolby Atmos Speaker Thread

More info than you'll ever want...
post #380 of 411 Old 07-20-2014, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post
Thanks very cool

My main setup
MY 10' X 15' DEN
post #381 of 411 Old 07-20-2014, 07:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
There's nothing I can see about the Atmos speakers that tries to get around the physics of speaker directivity, and all Andrew said in response to Scott's question about what prevents listeners from hearing the direct sound from the increasingly omnidirectional lower frequencies was that there's a "secret sauce" that NDA prohibited him from sharing.

My guess that this is processing yhe signal electronically with HRTF and/or the type of processing SRS and similar use to fool our ear/brains into hearing sounds come from directions other than where the speaker is.

If that's the case any speaker may work, but a coaxial would be best, the bigger the better to increase directivity down to lower freq.
IgorZep likes this.

Noah
post #382 of 411 Old 07-20-2014, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
There's nothing I can see about the Atmos speakers that tries to get around the physics of speaker directivity, and all Andrew said in response to Scott's question about what prevents listeners from hearing the direct sound from the increasingly omnidirectional lower frequencies was that there's a "secret sauce" that NDA prohibited him from sharing.

My guess that this is processing yhe signal electronically with HRTF and/or the type of processing SRS and similar use to fool our ear/brains into hearing sounds come from directions other than where the speaker is.

If that's the case any speaker may work, but a coaxial would be best, the bigger the better to increase directivity down to lower freq.
You have very good sense of the processing required. Here's how Dolby describes it in their patent application:
Quote:
In an embodiment, the adaptive audio system utilizes upward-firing drivers to provide the height element. In general, it has been shown that incorporating signal processing to introduce perceptual height cues into the audio signal being fed to the upward-firing drivers improves the positioning and perceived quality of the virtual height signal. For example, a parametric perceptual binaural hearing model has been developed to create a height cue filter, which when used to process audio being reproduced by an upward-firing driver, improves that perceived quality of the reproduction. In an embodiment, the height cue filter is derived from the both the physical speaker location (approximately level with the listener) and the reflected speaker location (above the listener). For the physical speaker location, a directional filter is determined based on a model of the outer ear (or pinna). An inverse of this filter is next determined and used to remove the height cues from the physical speaker. Next, for the reflected speaker location, a second directional filter is determined, using the same model of the outer ear. This filter is applied directly, essentially reproducing the cues the ear would receive if the sound were above the listener. In practice, these filters may be combined in a way that allows for a single filter that both (1) removes the height cue from the physical speaker location, and (2) inserts the height cue from the reflected speaker location.
Marc Wielage likes this.
post #383 of 411 Old 07-20-2014, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

post #384 of 411 Old 07-21-2014, 09:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks for that patent info, Roger, most interesting.

Do you know if there will be an option to select between real vs. reflecting top speakers?

Perhaps the height cue processing is narrow-band enough not to affect tonal balance/timbre matching; OTOH feeding a real top speaker the processed signal might make it too localizable.

Noah
post #385 of 411 Old 07-21-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Do you know if there will be an option to select between real vs. reflecting top speakers?

Perhaps the height cue processing is narrow-band enough not to affect tonal balance/timbre matching; OTOH feeding a real top speaker the processed signal might make it too localizable.
The HRTF processing must be able to be switched on and off.
post #386 of 411 Old 07-21-2014, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for that patent info, Roger, most interesting.

In the AVR's settings you must tell it whether you are using ceiling mounted or "Atmos-enabled" speakers (a.k.a. upfiring drivers on your front left/right and rear left/right surround speakers) for your "Top/Height" channels.

It's possible that even the ceiling mounted speakers will use some processing to hide their actual location in order to give you the impression that the sounds coming from them are further away or closer to you then the speakers themselves are.
post #387 of 411 Old 07-21-2014, 01:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
It's possible that even the ceiling mounted speakers will use some processing to hide their actual location in order to give you the impression that the sounds coming from them are further away or closer to you then the speakers themselves are.
I believe that would be the job of the soundtrack's recorded reverb and ambience info.

Noah
post #388 of 411 Old 07-21-2014, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I believe that would be the job of the soundtrack's recorded reverb and ambience info.
In a channel based system with set speaker locations, you would be correct.

With object based audio, that would ideally be processed on-the-fly, in order to accommodate your speakers being at different elevations and distances from the listener than another person's setup. An object that is 20 feet away from you should sound like it is 20 feet away from you whether the sound is played back on a speaker that is 4 feet from you or 10 feet from you. Same goes for an object that buzzes within inches of your head. Accomplishing that requires processing.
post #389 of 411 Old 07-21-2014, 05:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

OK, but is there any reason to believe Atmos does such distance processing?

This would seem to be relatively straightforward for the location at which the object is to be produced.

But what about echoes of an object, which would emanate from other directions and thus need to be sourced from some or all of the rest of the speakers? I think I've asked this but I don't remember the answer; gettin' old...

Noah

Last edited by noah katz; 07-21-2014 at 05:39 PM.
post #390 of 411 Old 07-21-2014, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
OK, but is there any reason to believe Atmos does such distance processing?

This would seem to be relatively straightforward for the location at which the object is to be produced.

But what about echoes of an object, which would emanate from other directions and thus need to be sourced from some or all of the rest of the speakers? I think I've asked this but I don't remember the answer; gettin' old...
It appears that the initial implementation of Atmos might not include much in the way or distance processing (beyond what your AVR already does as part of its room correction). It is hoped that this processing will make its way into future Atmos capable receivers. The soundtracks are certainly capable of storing the information that your AVR would need to do this processing as it can be derived from the XYZ coordinates used for determining which speakers should be used to reproduce object based sounds.

Since echo directionality is not as critical as the sound coming from the original source, I suspect that echos will likely be mixed into the channel bed rather than treated as additional objects.

Last edited by HockeyoAJB; 07-22-2014 at 05:03 AM.
Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
frontpage

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page