89Likes

post #391 of 412 Old 07-21-2014, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post

Since echo directionality is not as critical as the sound coming from the original source, I suspect that echos will likely be mixed into the channel bed rather than treated as additional objects.

It would make sense, however, to treat reflective surfaces as objects in the mix for purposes of creating the sound field. Imagine the sound from a passing car reflected off of a wall positioned 5' from your head vs. the reflection from a large building across the street. Given the relatively high numeric limit on the number of sound objects in an Atmos mix, I suspect recording engineers will quickly appreciate both the sonic improvements and increased simplicity of assigning major reflective surfaces as objects in the mix. This will be especially true in digitally created content where exact positions are known and object metadata could be readily transferred into the mix during the rendering process. The creation of James Cameron's "Avatar" comes to mind.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 412 Old 07-21-2014, 07:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
It is hoped that this processing will make its way into future Atmos capable receivers.
Are you only going on hope or has Dolby given some indication that this is a possible feature of Atmos?

Not sure why they'd need it, as distance cues can be created with the sound of the reflections, since that's how our ears/brains determine distance.

Noah
post #393 of 412 Old 07-22-2014, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
The HRTF processing must be able to be switched on and off.
Lets keep our fingers crossed the receiver-makers realize that too...

Under construction:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #394 of 412 Old 07-26-2014, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I cannot wait to see what I will be able to play with in settings once my new Yamaha is upgraded to support Atmos via a firmware update I read about
post #395 of 412 Old 07-26-2014, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked: 432

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #396 of 412 Old 07-27-2014, 03:58 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Ha ha, that Dolby Atmos YouTube trailer is mono. LOL.
post #397 of 412 Old 07-27-2014, 05:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Mecak View Post
Ha ha, that Dolby Atmos YouTube trailer is mono. LOL.
No, it is not mono. It is a demo of a single object located at the 0,0,0 xyz coordinates (in the middle of the head)
Craig Mecak likes this.
post #398 of 412 Old 07-27-2014, 10:32 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgorZep View Post
No, it is not mono. It is a demo of a single object located at the 0,0,0 xyz coordinates (in the middle of the head)
LMAO at every single ATMOS coordinate!!!

(LMAOAEAC)
post #399 of 412 Old 07-28-2014, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

post #400 of 412 Old 08-12-2014, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Is anyone concerned that new AVRs with atmos processing will be outdated soon when DTS releases its object based algorithm? Or is DTS going to be minor player in this arena since it is late to the party?
post #401 of 412 Old 08-12-2014, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 400
You forgot to include the possibility that the manufacturers might have included enough memory in their 2014 models that they can provide firmware updates to support the DTS format. It might be an extra-cost option, though, if there are additional license fees.

At any rate, getting all upset about it now is just a waste of energy. Hopefully we'll find out more during CEDIA.

Selden
post #402 of 412 Old 08-12-2014, 08:17 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlanzy View Post
Is anyone concerned that new AVRs with atmos processing will be outdated soon when DTS releases its object based algorithm? Or is DTS going to be minor player in this arena since it is late to the party?
At this point all DTS has is DTS-MA and Neo:X. There is nothing new yet but they are working on something.

If this is of concern to you then yes, you should wait it out.

Hope you are a patient individual.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #403 of 412 Old 08-12-2014, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

DTS-UHD Decoder | Demonstration

Next Generation Audio | Ultra High-Definition Surround Sound

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

post #404 of 412 Old 08-13-2014, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Depends HOW late and how may manufacturers will allow you speaker locations be defined from the 24.1.10. One have to assumen the make it out to the 2nd round of AVRs at least...

Under construction:
post #405 of 412 Old 08-13-2014, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thanks, good comparative information. I already have a 11.2 set up and process all audio into the DTS-Neo, albeit with matrixed sound to the wides , heights,and backs. My heights though are positioned as dolby atmos front heights rather the Neo suggested position, just made more sense in my set up and it works nicely. I could easily add the atmos rear heights, but the auro array seems too congested, at least for my 19x14x8 theater room. It will be interesting to see which of these formats leads the home theater viewing/listening realm in the months/years to come, especially considering few will be able or willing to go beyond a 5.1 set up.
post #406 of 412 Old 08-13-2014, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Thanks, good comparative information. I already have a 11.2 set up and process all audio into the DTS-Neo, albeit with matrixed sound to the wides , heights,and backs. My heights though are positioned as dolby atmos front heights rather the Neo suggested position, just made more sense in my set up and it works nicely. I could easily add the atmos rear heights, but the auro array seems too congested, at least for my 19x14x8 theater room. It will be interesting to see which of these formats leads the home theater viewing/listening realm in the months/years to come, especially considering few will be able or willing to go beyond a 5.1 set up.
I think I'm going to say either Atmos or DTS-UHD. Auro3D, at least the version they're thinking of putting in high end consumer gear, is not object based.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #407 of 412 Old 08-14-2014, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 22
http://www.denon.co.uk/uk/product/pa...ctid=avrx5200w
the AVR-X5200W is a powerful 9 channel amplifier with 11.2 channel processing and 13.2 preout.
I realize I havn't had much sleep lately but I am counting 11 speaker connections on the rear of the Denon X5200. I thought it was a standard 9ch. receiver requiring the use of an external amp for the last 2 channels, making it 11ch. in total?
My other confusion is concerning the 13 ch? Does the amp allow for zone 2 or zone 3 to operated with an external 2 channel amp. (which makes is 13 channels) Yes, that would make sense for 13 channel power.

QSC 2150 for HT
DIY Tempest
DIY Ultimax Sub's
post #408 of 412 Old 08-14-2014, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhaudio View Post
http://www.denon.co.uk/uk/product/pa...ctid=avrx5200w
the AVR-X5200W is a powerful 9 channel amplifier with 11.2 channel processing and 13.2 preout.
I realize I havn't had much sleep lately but I am counting 11 speaker connections on the rear of the Denon X5200. I thought it was a standard 9ch. receiver requiring the use of an external amp for the last 2 channels, making it 11ch. in total?
My other confusion is concerning the 13 ch? Does the amp allow for zone 2 or zone 3 to operated with an external 2 channel amp. (which makes is 13 channels) Yes, that would make sense for 13 channel power.
It has 9 amps. Pre-amps for the rest. It can only do 11.2 processing at once... the extra two outputs are silent at least during Atmos processing. The 13.2 are there for ease of one additional set of speakers in a different location (maybe for DTS Neo:X or other legacy post processing).

post #409 of 412 Old 08-28-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Will Atmos be the 3D of the audio world in a sense that it is a great idea but most consumers will not care about it?

Kipp
Are you boozen & cruisin the AVS? Join us here --->
good times!

post #410 of 412 Old 08-28-2014, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipp Jones View Post
Will Atmos be the 3D of the audio world in a sense that it is a great idea but most consumers will not care about it?
Who knows? However, the industry is embracing object audio because it simplifies soundtrack engineering. One master mix for all formats and channel counts. It could become as ubiquitous as DTS Master Audio compression of multi-channel PCM masters is now.

post #411 of 412 Old 08-29-2014, 01:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipp Jones View Post
Unfortunately, or fortunately, some of us will become addicted to it; that is for sure, and with all the consequences that come with it.

...Same thing that is happening with 3D HDTV and 3D UHD TV and Blu-ray 3D movies.

* Curved TVs? ...I don't think so. ...But some will; there are always some who will ...

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

post #412 of 412 Old Yesterday, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 12
We need to get people posting all the blu ray Atmos releases coming out/ that have been released so far. Any new ones except for... TMNT? And... the Hercules / dancathon musical movie? C'mon... give us some Hobbit, Gravity, Brave, Star Trek, etc ,etc! If not the best then at least stuff that's not garbage.
Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
frontpage

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page