post #241 of 411 Old 06-27-2014, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
I have a question about the new Pioneer speakers. It seems that they have built in drivers, or even add on modules that are on top of or placed on your front speakers to radiate the sound up to give the ATMOS effect right? They seem to rely on reflecting off of the ceiling surface. What happens if there are room treatments on the ceiling or someone insulated their ceiling to be one big bass trap. Won't that take away the advantage of using that particular method of getting ATMOS into the room leaving the more conventional way of just putting more speakers in the room. I mean, wouldn't the treatments on the ceiling absorb the very sound you are getting from those top firing speakers? If I am wrong, please correct me.
Correct. If you have acoustic treatments on your ceiling that prevent it from properly reflecting the sound from the "Atmos enabled" speakers then you would have to either install speakers in the ceiling or remove the acoustic treatment from the areas where the sound should be reflecting off of the ceiling. The question is, how large of an area on the ceiling does each speaker need in order for full sound to reflect like it is supposed to? I imagine that it will vary based on the distance from the speaker to the ceiling. The larger the distance, the greater the area, due to dispersion. So, short of spending a good deal of time on the old trial and error method, you are probably better off just installing the speakers in the ceiling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 411 Old 06-27-2014, 01:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
Objects which lie in a direction where there happens no speaker available require panning now, and they will still require panning with home-Atmos.
If the consumer expands their layout later on, that particular sound might end up in a speaker, which can't be done if the sound was wedded to a pair of channels. So, for example, adding wide speakers in the future can change the way the same object-based soundtrack is rendered.

Sounds that would have phantom imaged exactly between the fronts & sides will now go to the wide speakers. Sounds that phantom imaged closer to the fronts or sides can now use the wide speakers to better stabilize the imaging. That's possible when sounds have independent coordinates but not when they are married to the front & side channels.

The ability for objects to remain independent during playback is also useful when mapping to a small number of speakers. When rendering to a soundbar, sounds mixed to the front soundstage can be played back normally. Sounds mixed outside and above the front soundstage can be processed using a virtualizer, clearly separating them from sounds anchored to the display.
Quote:
And that is what home-Atmos appears to me to be, in effect. It's a way to smuggle in source height channels. All the stuff about being "object oriented" is just window dressing.
First generation home Atmos appears that way to me too, since it doesn't take speaker locations into account when rendering, instead asking the consumer to stick to the same placements currently used. That inflexibility gives the impression of a channel-based soundtrack that is upmixed or downmixed based on the number of speakers.

But that's a limitation of initial hardware.

The original soundtracks contain objects and so will the home versions, which will give them the ability to adapt to future hardware that has more outputs and additional features (e.g., playing back only the music stem, if encoded as a separate object). For now, the limitations are disappointing (for me). But this is just the start.

Sanjay
post #243 of 411 Old 06-27-2014, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I'm going to see the new transformer4 movies what sound format that's going to be on, the movie theater has 22 speakers with 4k Sony projector.
post #244 of 411 Old 06-27-2014, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chise View Post
I'm going to see the new transformer4 movies what sound format that's going to be on, the movie theater has 22 speakers with 4k Sony projector.
It's coming out in Dolby Atmos. The number of speakers may indicated it's a pretty small auditorium.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #245 of 411 Old 06-27-2014, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 33
A 5.1 or 7.1 auditorium could still have 22 speakers, depending on the size of the theater.

Transformers: Age of Extinction has both Dolby Atmos and Auro-3D mixes, as well as a conventional 5.1 or 7.1 (I'm actually not sure which) mix.

It is usually easy to tell if an auditorium is equipped with Atmos or Auro-3D though: Atmos will have 2 bands of overhead speakers, parallel to the side walls, running the length of the auditorium. Auro-3D will have overhead speakers and also height speakers for the surrounds (and screen heights as well, but those are typically hidden behind the screen).
post #246 of 411 Old 06-27-2014, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschulz View Post
A 5.1 or 7.1 auditorium could still have 22 speakers, depending on the size of the theater.

Transformers: Age of Extinction has both Dolby Atmos and Auro-3D mixes, as well as a conventional 5.1 or 7.1 (I'm actually not sure which) mix.

It is usually easy to tell if an auditorium is equipped with Atmos or Auro-3D though: Atmos will have 2 bands of overhead speakers, parallel to the side walls, running the length of the auditorium. Auro-3D will have overhead speakers and also height speakers for the surrounds (and screen heights as well, but those are typically hidden behind the screen).
I'm going to see it tomorrow, I'm tired looking at same movies at home August can't get here fast enough.
post #247 of 411 Old 06-27-2014, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chise View Post
I'm going to see it tomorrow, I'm tired looking at same movies at home August can't get here fast enough.
Look at the theater's website. It should state if the auditorium is equipped with Atmos or not. That format is kind of a big deal. Or, look to see where other Atmos equipped theaters are in your area on Dolby's site.

post #248 of 411 Old 06-27-2014, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
Sounds that would have phantom imaged exactly between the fronts & sides will now go to the wide speakers. Sounds that phantom imaged closer to the fronts or sides can now use the wide speakers to better stabilize the imaging. That's possible when sounds have independent coordinates but not when they are married to the front & side channels.
I don't think that's right. A sound that is deduced to be a wide sound because it turns up in both front and side channels can be used in the same way as a sound which is designated in the source to be a wide sound. They're both just sounds. But mixing with a real wide would presumably be more accurate than with a virtual wide.

Greg Lee
post #249 of 411 Old 06-27-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
A sound that is deduced to be a wide sound because it turns up in both front and side channels can be used in the same way as a sound which is designated in the source to be a wide sound.
If you added wide speakers to a 7.1 set-up, how would you get a sound mixed in the front and side channels to that new speaker? With objects it is easy: upon detecting a speaker at that location, that particular piece of sound is routed to that speaker.

Sanjay
post #250 of 411 Old 06-27-2014, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Okay, folks!

Brett Crockett of Dolby has just replied to some of our concerns. Current consumer Atmos can accommodate 24 front and surround speakers plus 10 on-ceiling speakers. There are products planned that will output the full array of speaker locations.

http://blog.dolby.com/2014/06/dolby-...ions-answered/

post #251 of 411 Old 06-27-2014, 04:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 150
"Any sound heard in a movie scene — a child yelling, a helicopter taking off, a car horn blaring – is an audio object."

Can't remember if I asked this before; if the object is in a reflective environment like a cave, how are the object's reflected sounds handled, as they may come from all directions and not have a discrete location like the object itself?

Are the reflections part of the object or generated separately?

Noah
post #252 of 411 Old 06-27-2014, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If you added wide speakers to a 7.1 set-up, how would you get a sound mixed in the front and side channels to that new speaker?
I doubt that I understand your question. Suppose I'm an AVR. To find the right wide signal, I find what is in common between the right front and right side signals. Then I remove that common part from the right front and right side signals and send it to the new right wide speaker, instead.
In fact, since I have front wide speakers and my AVR does send them stuff when I play 5.1 sound, I suppose it must be doing a (presumably more) sophisticated version of this to derive the wide signals.

Greg Lee
post #253 of 411 Old 06-27-2014, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
"Any sound heard in a movie scene — a child yelling, a helicopter taking off, a car horn blaring – is an audio object."

Can't remember if I asked this before; if the object is in a reflective environment like a cave, how are the object's reflected sounds handled, as they may come from all directions and not have a discrete location like the object itself?

Are the reflections part of the object or generated separately?
More than likely the dry, panned sound is processed as the object (as defined by the mixer on the dubbing stage), the reverb is contained in the channel beds.

post #254 of 411 Old 06-27-2014, 04:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I remove that common part from the right front and right side signals and send it to the new right wide speaker, instead.
Remove it how? Using matrix extraction and logic steering, like Neo:X does?

Sanjay
post #255 of 411 Old 06-27-2014, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Remove it how? Using matrix extraction and logic steering, like Neo:X does?
Yes. Well, along the lines of what Dolby does, anyway, to the extent I understand it.

Greg Lee
post #256 of 411 Old 06-27-2014, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
A link to the Dolby blog with the updated Atmos information:

post #257 of 411 Old 06-27-2014, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJoy View Post
A link to the Dolby blog with the updated Atmos information:

Got it covered, but thanks! See above ^^^

post #258 of 411 Old 06-27-2014, 07:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Yes. Well, along the lines of what Dolby does, anyway, to the extent I understand it.
You can never perfectly unscramble an egg. As good as the current state of matrix surround processing is, it can't match discrete content, especially on complicated material. It's the difference between a discrete 7.1 track and a 2-channel downmix of that track played back using PLIIx.

In order to do what Atmos does as speakers are added, matrix surround processing would have to keep extracting more and more sounds that had already been combined with other sounds. It would be a matter of time before steering artifacts became distracting.

Object-based audio avoids that by mixing actual sounds during playback, based on the number and locations of your speakers. The recording engineer encodes all the mix coefficients, but the actual combining of the sound happens during playback.
AaronMK likes this.

Sanjay
post #259 of 411 Old 06-27-2014, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You can never perfectly unscramble an egg.
Too true. I noted above, "But mixing with a real wide would presumably be more accurate than with a virtual wide." And I wasn't just yolking.

Greg Lee
post #260 of 411 Old 06-27-2014, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Atmos requiring fixed speaker locations (vs conforming to whatever speaker locations you want to add) defeats the whole purpose of atmos.

I'll have gray hair by the time the finally get the "real deal" at home...
post #261 of 411 Old 06-27-2014, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post
Atmos requiring fixed speaker locations (vs conforming to whatever speaker locations you want to add) defeats the whole purpose of atmos.

I'll have gray hair by the time the finally get the "real deal" at home...
For right now, it may be that you'll have to buy one of those premium, full output decoders like Dolby was talking about in the blog above to get everything you want.

post #262 of 411 Old 06-27-2014, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 18
This will definitely be a niche market. Atmos will not be mainstream simply because of the logistics of multiple cabling and an array of speakers that will not be widely accepted in most homes. Think of a standard 7.1 system as a luxury sedan that many can save and afford and Atmos-based style of system as an exotic car. This is for the hobbyist who would want to excel in the quantity of the multi-dimensional audio.

As for quality of performance that will still depend on your multi-channel AVR or better yet a mulit-channel power amp, quality of the main 5 to 7 speakers, quality and might of your subwoofer, quality of your blu-ray player, tv set or projector system, power conditioning or filtration etc.

If DTS can make it work as they say with the later video I posted in the Pioneer Atmos thread. My 7.1 system with an upcoming Oppo 105 will be my eventual future. I won't be buying into added speakers.

Atmos's success will be with what meta engine it may adopt to work in the mainstream, Netflix home theater Joe and Jane watcher. That is where the multi-millions lie, not with us at AVS forum or the other fanboy forums.

Enter all at the strait gate and walk the narrow way.
"I am the way the truth and the life, no one enters the Fathers' Kingdom except through me."

Jesus is the strait gate.
post #263 of 411 Old 06-27-2014, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass excavator View Post
This will definitely be a niche market. Atmos will not be mainstream simply because of the logistics of multiple cabling and an array of speakers that will not be widely accepted in most homes. Think of a standard 7.1 system as a luxury sedan that many can save and afford and Atmos-based style of system as an exotic car. This is for the hobbyist who would want to excel in the quantity of the multi-dimensional audio.

As for quality of performance that will still depend on your multi-channel AVR or better yet a mulit-channel power amp, quality of the main 5 to 7 speakers, quality and might of your subwoofer, quality of your blu-ray player, tv set or projector system, power conditioning or filtration etc.

If DTS can make it work as they say with the later video I posted in the Pioneer Atmos thread. My 7.1 system with an upcoming Oppo 105 will be my eventual future. I won't be buying into added speakers.

Atmos's success will be with what meta engine it may adopt to work in the mainstream, Netflix home theater Joe and Jane watcher. That is where the multi-millions lie, not with us at AVS forum or the other fanboy forums.
For you to get any added benefit from Atmos or DTS's version of "hyper" surround, you'll need at least height/overhead speakers to go with your 7.1 setup or you won't get any 3D aspect to any of it and you might was well just stick with what you have already.

post #264 of 411 Old 06-28-2014, 12:25 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

While you could always be right, I don't know if I completely agree with you here. I think that is part of the beauty of the new 'Atmos enabled' speakers that are being announced. First you have Pioneer out the gate with the atmos speaker built in and you have Onkyo's HTIB's and you have the speaker add-ons just announced by Definitive Technology. I see many more announcements coming around the corner. Pioneer's Chris Walker just posted this over at Audioholics:

"Hi Everyone,

I totally get the that you may be hesitant about the top firing driver. But please wait until you hear it before you decide it does not work.

Both Andrew and myself are true audio enthusiasts just like you. We were also a little hesitant about the upward firing drivers when Dolby first told us about them over a year ago, however after we got a demo and were able to compare both this option compared to in-ceiling speakers we were sold. It works very well. It is not like a speaker bar trying to create a surround sound effect.

Andrew is a smart guy, and I like to think that I know what I am doing (most of the time). We both had a choice to make when creating this line of Elite Speakers, either create in-ceiling speakers as a part of the package or build Dolby Enabled speakers. I honestly believe we made the right choice. Of course the market will decide...

Also, we are considering building versions of these speakers without the Atmos drivers for those folks who want a music only speaker or non-atmos speaker. There are only three of us that create these products so we can't do too many projects at once.

At lastly these speakers are not replacements for the entry level products. Those are next in line...

Chris Walker
Pioneer Electronics"

Also over at Sound & Vision, Rob Sabin just posted his initial impressions of the demoes from CE Week, and while he does have a couple reservations, he pretty much liked what he heard and was surprisingly impressed with the Andrew Jones design.

Ultimately, yes, the consumer will decide if this is a keeper or not, but it is sounding very promising I think. Time will tell.

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato
post #265 of 411 Old 06-28-2014, 01:59 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 97
I guess this will be a niche market and certainly out of reach for many of us.

As for me, while always curious and excited about new technologies, I have come to realize it too most likely will fall prey to being inconsistent thanks to no real standards for transfers and mix of audio by the studios. We already see a large range of great to really sucks movie transfers to DVD and Blue Ray. Next we'll get to see various 4K video offerings that vary in quality and now this interesting audio technology.

We can only hope for the best with this object based audio.
post #266 of 411 Old 06-28-2014, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:

Immersive audio (Atmos, Auro-3D, DTS-UHD) first rendered to the AVR's max capability (N.n) and then reproduced by an over-and-under pair of soundbars using wave front synthesis...

There seems also to have been some thought at one time about placing a third soundbar behind the listening area to anchor rear sounds...???
_
Attached Images
File Type: bmp ETRI-LG SoundWindow (3) - T2_S4_2_MPEG-H_3D_Audio - ETRI_.bmp (678.8 KB, 257 views)

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #267 of 411 Old 06-28-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Are there going to be recommended room sizes for the home version of atmos? I have a 21x12.5 and just wonder if I would get anything out of it. I could easily go with 2 or 4 in ceiling speakers, but if it's not going to add much I don't know if I want to cut the holes in the ceiling.

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #268 of 411 Old 06-28-2014, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post
Are there going to be recommended room sizes for the home version of atmos? I have a 21x12.5 and just wonder if I would get anything out of it. I could easily go with 2 or 4 in ceiling speakers, but if it's not going to add much I don't know if I want to cut the holes in the ceiling.
I think you could do four ceiling. It can render up to 10 (with a more advanced and capable decoder), but I think that would be way overkill for your room. You need to timbre match and there are supposedly going to be specs. released for ceiling speakers that help create better overhead effects.

You probably should consider wiring for the front wide surrounds as well.

The press coming out of CE Week seemed, for the most part, quite impressed with their first-hand experience from material like Atmos cinema trailers and scenes from Life of Pi (for the aggressive mix demo) and Star Trek: Into Darkness (more subtle demo due to the jungle clip shown... they didn't use the famous Enterprise destruction scene, which is too bad). Those setups had only four sources for overhead effects, since they were Onkyo and Pioneer gear.

post #269 of 411 Old 06-28-2014, 09:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post
I have a 21x12.5 and just wonder if I would get anything out of it.
I don't see how the length & width of a room will prevent you from hearing sounds overhead. If you put speakers above you, you'll hear sounds above you, irrespective of room size.

Sanjay
post #270 of 411 Old 06-28-2014, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quick off-topic question: Is Auro-3D an object-based audio format like Atmos?
Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
frontpage

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page