Old 07-01-2014, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
I've never owned a plasma display, and now that their demise is here I likely never will.
I own one LCD. Hopefully it will be the last I buy. So glad I picked up a ZT in January. OLED will be my future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2014, 01:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Yeah, now that I'm looking around, I'm seeing a few new PN64F8500s out there for $2,200-$2,300. I'm not sure I have the energy to go through yet another exchange, the one I got calibrated perfectly. I'm going to check the hours on the panel and make a decision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post
PM me as to where please
It's from the sort of places you don't buy a TV from. Not only that, you can't actually get a TV from them at those prices. Sure, you can place an order, but you won't get it unless they upsell you a few hundred dollars worth of crap, like faster "white glove" delivery for $200, or an extended warranty for a few hundred dollars. If you refuse all their attempts at upselling your order will be backordered indefinitely and never filled.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by msantti View Post
I got a 60E7000 right at 2 years ago. I hear no buzz.

I must have gotten a bad set.
Mine must be defective too...

Samsung PN60E7000
Sony HT-CT770
Custom HTPC - 3.2GHz/8TB/8GB/HD5670
Old 07-01-2014, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post
OLED will be my future.
You mean you/we hope? What if this becomes the new standard that quality is going out the door…
Old 07-01-2014, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Red face

Quote:
That bit of optimism is history, along with Samsung's OLED offering. Evidently going all-in on oversized, curved, edgelit, UHD LCDs is the power move. Family TVs for the living room drive the market, and having the biggest curved screens for the lowest price looks like the chosen path.

It's a bit mind-blowing, considering how incredible the UN64F8500 is, I did not expect it to calibrate so perfectly, and look so good. Soon, I'm going to sound like those Kuro-heads that people in the LCD forums make fun of.
Glad to hear you got a deal on the plasma and are enjoying your set!

It's a shame they are going away and I'm sure LG will soon make the exit out. Have a friend who would have never bought a plasma till he seen the PQ of last years models and heard Panasonic was going to stop production. He went out and got a 60st60 and now says how much better it is to his old lcd. To bad more people did not see it that way. Now the wait is on to see if OLED will be the new standard for PQ.

The new curved screens do not appeal to the wife or I, so what ever tech makes it to market in the next few years I hope it's flat.

Living Room
Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony PS3, Marantz SR5008, Center PC2000, Front & Surround's PM1000, Sub SVS PB-2000, Harmony Smart Remote

Bedroom
Panasonic TC-P46S1, Panasonic HTIB SA-BT200
Old 07-01-2014, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1738 Post(s)
Liked: 3072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
It's from the sort of places you don't buy a TV from. Not only that, you can't actually get a TV from them at those prices. Sure, you can place an order, but you won't get it unless they upsell you a few hundred dollars worth of crap, like faster "white glove" delivery for $200, or an extended warranty for a few hundred dollars. If you refuse all their attempts at upselling your order will be backordered indefinitely and never filled.
Ah, yes, I see that retailer does have that reputation. Cool. I am happy with what I got.
ToadB likes this.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
Old 07-01-2014, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCCaniac View Post
Sigh. Looks like plasma is becoming the Betamax / HD-DVD of the TV world. Glad I got a Panasonic P60ST60 last fall. Hope it lasts a long time.
Not quite the right analogy. You can use your Plasma TV until it dies. Betamax / HD-DVD & 8-tracks are just bricks since nothing new will ever be released for them again.

Why is there NO perfect equipment, only compromises?
Old 07-01-2014, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 84
It's a real shame manufacturers created a Dynamic mode that most seem to be accustomed to. I don't ever recall CRT's having any blue mode. The only modes I remember on some CRT's was, Low, Standard and High Contrast but it never created blue whites or crushed the details.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevon27 View Post
I think CRT's should make a comeback... I LIKE BIG BUTTS AND I CANNOT LIE..

I know you said this tongue in cheek. But I actually agree. CRT, now freed from mass market restrictions could really be the esoteric Videophile tech of choice if pursued properly. It could adapt new innovative componentized assembly techniques to hurl at the premium price market. Like:
  1. CRT Rear Projection base unit that is more compact and only holds critical video circuits and electronics. But can be Scalable from a resolution standpoint from 480p-8k with everything in between. No speakers...no other extraneous clutter in the base unit. Just I/O interfaces for outboard units...HDMI...Display port...SVGA...DVI...VGA...USB...Component...etc. Everything except the Light path and core functions for it should be handled by external components in a high end A/V system.
  2. A Light weight, totally blacked out, collapsible & expandable (on multiple axes) Polaroid type screen which can scale to image sizes of 55-80 inches.
  3. Laser generated calibration program in the outboard processor unit for tweaking color...image structure...and all of the usual visual functions. Add built in Darbee processing as an option in the unit.
That would be a cool direction IMO. And if a dedicated small company of experts, like the guys who founded PRYSM LPD got behind it. They could have a very lucrative niche market IMO. Especially if they could bring in a price range of $5000-$20,000 (size of CRT guns & etc). I know I'll get blasted for even suggesting this. But you opened the can of worms. I can dream can't I?

Edit:
Actually PRYSM could do this on their own without CRT...and have a vastly superior system with the LPD tech. Because LPD is an energy miser. But delivers OLED/CRT/Plasma grade PQ without any burn-in. Why they have not done this or partnered with a company like Mitsubishi to do it is a puzzle to me. See prysm.com.

Last edited by barrelbelly; 07-01-2014 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I bought my PRO-111FD in 2008 and it still gives an excellent picture, even better since it was re-calibrated in November (the first was 11/08). Given that and my living situation, I won't be in the market for another TV until my 111 dies or goes away (for whatever reason). Then, I will plan to get the best TV I can afford that fits my circumstances.
rcapprotti and dnoonie like this.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 174
Every great thing must come to an end, and plasma is no exception. While plasma does offer unparalleled picture quality, it comes with its own downfalls. The biggest being the hungry power consumption with the F8500 being the worst offender. The 64" model draws over 600 watts of power at full tilt. That alone has driven me to find a more economical alternative.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 327
I have many friends and family members that have their TV in vivid mode ,they don't know anything about calibration and accurate colors.Not too long ago I was watching a movie with a friend at my house and I was switching the picture mode and he instantly said now looks better when the picture was in vivid mode, I tried to explain him about accurate colors but he was lost, his response was ,it looks better that way.

Edit: Also the lights were off during the movie.

I also visit him and his TV picture mode was in vivid mode.
Djoel likes this.

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /2 PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Revel Surrounds/Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos for bedrooms,kitchen,bathroom/Master bedroom Sonos sound bar/Sonos sub and Sonos surrounds.

Last edited by losservatore; 07-01-2014 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post
Every great thing must come to an end, and plasma is no exception. While plasma does offer unparalleled picture quality, it comes with its own downfalls. The biggest being the hungry power consumption with the F8500 being the worst offender. The 64" model draws over 600 watts of power at full tilt. That alone has driven me to find a more economical alternative.
First, I'd wager no real content has it drawing anything of the sort. Second, unless you live off the grid, if your electric bill controls your TV purchases (via power consumption) perhaps you are overextended financially.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
I have many friends and family members that have their TV in vivid mode ,they don't know anything about calibration and accurate colors.Not too long ago I was watching a movie with a friend at my house and I was switching the picture mode and he instantly said now looks better when the picture was in vivid mode, I tried to explain him about accurate colors but he was lost, his response was ,it looks better that way.

Edit: Also the lights were off during the movie.
And he has a soundbar too right?

PSN ID: Jlpowell84
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
My Setup Thread
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...4-s-setup.html
Old 07-01-2014, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1738 Post(s)
Liked: 3072
Quote:
Once calibrated a 64-inch F8500 burns 250-400 watts, not 600. An LCD of similar size, with similar light output, is about half that—generously, we could say 1/3 that of a F8500. Those 200 extra watts it takes to run the F8500 instead of an LCD could add an extra $2 or $3 per month to an electric bill, if you are a 5+ hour per day watcher. It's safe to say that HVAC consumes far more power than anything else in a home, that's where it pays to conserve.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
Old 07-01-2014, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

Lol yes he have a Vizio sound bar.

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /2 PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Revel Surrounds/Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos for bedrooms,kitchen,bathroom/Master bedroom Sonos sound bar/Sonos sub and Sonos surrounds.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
First, I'd wager no real content has it drawing anything of the sort. Second, unless you live off the grid, if your electric bill controls your TV purchases (via power consumption) perhaps you are overextended financially.
It is not about the cost (although that is something to consider), it is about being green. I have hooked up a watt meter to my plasmas, and they will draw their maximum rated power during certain scenes in movies.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Once calibrated a 64-inch F8500 burns 250-400 watts, not 600. An LCD of similar size, with similar light output, is about half that—generously, we could say 1/3 that of a F8500. Those 200 extra watts it takes to run the F8500 instead of an LCD could add an extra $2 or $3 per month to an electric bill, if you are a 5+ hour per day watcher. It's safe to say that HVAC consumes far more power than anything else in a home, that's where it pays to conserve.
It all adds up. Even twice the power consumption is a lot. I am sure most people have their f8500 in torch mode though, considering even then it can not get as bright as an LCD.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
Hey now...not every environment/circumstance lends itself to a full home theater audio setup. That does not mean one can not appreciate an accurate picture.

Samsung PN60E7000
Sony HT-CT770
Old 07-01-2014, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

*UFO* I'm pretty sure that anyone with a F8500 know about the best picture mode for the F8500.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

TahoeDust I understand jlpowell84 comment about the sound bar please don't take it that way. The point is that the majority of consumers don't care if they need large or small speakers in their living room he likes my setup but he thinks that it sounds the same to him.

Edit:he knows that my setup can go louder but he doesn't know how distinguish the sound quality between my HT setup and his Vizio S4251w-B4.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	384759-vizio-s4251w-b4.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	144058  

Last edited by losservatore; 07-01-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 27
And to think super audio 8 track tape could have been. All down hill from there.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
TahoeDust I understand jlpowell84 comment about the sound bar please don't take it that way. The point is that the majority of consumers don't care if they need large or small speakers in their living room he likes my setup but he thinks that it sounds the same to him.
I knew it was tongue in cheek...just poking a little fun.

All this f8500 talk has me a little jealous. I thought about moving to a F8500, but am just not sure it would be worth the $$$ from my E7000, which I am very happy with. No buzzing and great picture. Now knowing that there will not be another "next great plasma" has me rethinking.

Samsung PN60E7000
Sony HT-CT770
Old 07-01-2014, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Glad I grabbed a PN60F5500 when I did. May not be the best PDP ever made, but it is a really nice, maybe even excellent PDP considering I only paid $1000 for it.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Hey, I wouldn't be surprisec if some of the plasma/oled supporters were part of the "is it the end for high end audio equipment" AVS seemed to think high end audio is a waste of time? This is what is happening with plasma/oled 'high end video'. There is a convenience of today's consumer to have the ability to load their shopping trolley with a lightweight 42inch lcd and carry it home with one hand. The broadcast industry also have preference for lcd, as they are lightweight, rugged and produce low heat output. However, the broadcast industry also adopt the oled displays for the same reasons as lcd, with the benefit of a crt refernce image. If 4k comes to light, the oled will suffer if they cannot provide the broadcast industry with small oled monitors cabable of 4k.
The modern consumer has always demanded the most important thing about tv is image brightness. Example being the early delta tube crts cabable of broadcast colour standards and resolution. By public demand the resolution was reduced non-standard phosphors used to ensure brighter image
Old 07-01-2014, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Quote:
It all adds up. Even twice the power consumption is a lot. I am sure most people have their f8500 in torch mode though, considering even then it can not get as bright as an LCD.
But the cheapness of its energy requirements are related to its small viewing angle.
imagic and StinDaWg like this.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm expecting mine to be delivered tomorrow.

Upgrayedd. Which he spells thusly, with two D's, as he says, "for a double dose of this pimping".
Old 07-01-2014, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcfish19 View Post
I'm expecting mine to be delivered tomorrow.
While this news is not surprising, it's still a bummer to see plasma coming to an end. Had I not grabbed a ZT60 earlier this year before they were gone I would definitely be making plans to grab 64F8500 in the very near future.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Didn't I predict this like a week ago? I guess when I make enough predictions, I'm right once in a while. It's about time they killed off this obsolete old technology and focused on 4K. Right now is a bad time to buy a TV anyways, unless you have the big ca$h to drop on a 4K TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post
Plasma didn't lose a "format war" with an equal. it had a product lifespan and is being replaced by newer (albeit not necessarily better) technology.

Think of the decline of vinyl and cassette/8 track

Beta and HD DVD lost out to a perceived "equal".
It's a little different in those two cases, since Betamax was technically superior and lost, whereas Blu-ray was technically superior and won.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip View Post
One of the previous posted said it perfectly. In today's TV market, quality no longer matters. Whatever can be made the cheapest will win out. The CE companies are simply desperate at this point. They will do whatever they can to cut costs. They have only themselves to blame. They oversaturated the TV market with flat panels of all varieties and drove the prices into the ground. Now everyone who wants a flat panel has one and they have no one to sell too. Hence the drive to first 3D which no one was clamoring for, then 4K and the curved sets.
It's called a free market and commoditization. Once there's no differentiation, things become commoditized. PCs did at one point, with the exception of Macs and a few laptops with specific feature sets and designs, TVs have become commoditized, and eventually smartphones will be as well (at least on the Android side).

Quote:
HOLY ****. That's insane.

Quote:
It is not about the cost (although that is something to consider), it is about being green. I have hooked up a watt meter to my plasmas, and they will draw their maximum rated power during certain scenes in movies.
Agreed. 600W is just ridiculous. I thought that they had their power consumption under control, but apparently not. Plus, in the summer, 600W means another 150W to A/C that heat out.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 77
For a second i thought it said Samsung pulls out of US market. I see that is a dream.

Tags
frontpage