post #181 of 264 Old 07-02-2014, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
The 64" are only available from third party .
Not so. 64" F8500 Sold by US-Appliance and Fulfilled by Amazon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 264 Old 07-02-2014, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
I would use best buy as the gage for availability. Hhgregg has not really carried many plasmas for years. A few samsungs and that is it.
\

PN 64f8500's at Amazon 10 used new 0 total 10

PN 60f5300 at Amazon 3 new 1 used total 4

PN 51f5300 at Amazon 1 new 3 used total 4

Total Sammie PDP 4 used 4 new total = 18

Ofc these figures can change any time up or down and a reseller quantity may or may not have been missed
in which case I take the 5th ☺
Can't say if thats a good measure of availability not knowing their pending orders and shipments but the re sellers aren't showing many that's for sure but that is how it stands at Amazon at this moment.

"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-03-2014 at 12:37 AM.
post #183 of 264 Old 07-02-2014, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrich3 View Post
Not sure where you got the idea that front projection starts at $14K. For example, you can get a nice Optoma HD25-LV projector and a 120" diag. Elite Screens ER120WH1 for a combined price of around $1200. Certainly you can spend a lot more if you want to, but even JVC's flagship RS67 projector sells for significantly less than what you describe as being entry level for front projection.

If you care to research pj & screen options further, Mike Garrett at the AV Science store should be able to fix you up with something nice...
I might have to see what he has to say. I've been repeatedly assured that no traditional bulb projector can handle being run 10-14 hours a day and that if the projector is going to be the primary everyday device then I would need to go xenon (never happening), laser (for those that print their own money) or LED (apparently for those who can only print 5s and 10s). At $200+ for a new lamp every 10 months or so, plus the down-time and the cost of having the unit re-calibrated after every new bulb is installed, I imagine that even if I could find a projector that could handle the load, the cost would quickly match buying the LED projector to begin with.

I'll see if I can get in touch with Mr. Garrett and see what he think can be done.
tubetwister likes this.
post #184 of 264 Old 07-02-2014, 10:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryn Ravenlocke View Post
I might have to see what he has to say. I've been repeatedly assured that no traditional bulb projector can handle being run 10-14 hours a day and that if the projector is going to be the primary everyday device then I would need to go xenon (never happening), laser (for those that print their own money) or LED (apparently for those who can only print 5s and 10s). At $200+ for a new lamp every 10 months or so, plus the down-time and the cost of having the unit re-calibrated after every new bulb is installed, I imagine that even if I could find a projector that could handle the load, the cost would quickly match buying the LED projector to begin with.

I'll see if I can get in touch with Mr. Garrett and see what he think can be done.

I have a JVC X500 projector that I run everyday as my main tv and sometime computer monitor. The image is amazing, no way I could go back to TV now.
The cost of having to replace the bulb is well worth it when you consider not only the size but quality of the image. I actually got 2 replacement bulbs when I bought my projector so I am set for a few years. As for calibrating, I do my own and the results and over all experience is wonderful. I would put my setup against any tv, it is that impressive and has to be seen to believe. Put it this way, my Cousin with a VT60 comes to my house to watch movies. People are making a mistake when they over look front projection.

James Reid:D

Last edited by cardoski; 07-03-2014 at 09:30 AM.
post #185 of 264 Old 07-02-2014, 10:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryn Ravenlocke View Post
Given your exceptionally heavy usage, an LED-based pj would be ideal if you want to go front projection.

ViewSonic's Pro9000 is priced around $2K & it's LED/Laser hybrid lamp life is rated at 20,000+ hours:
http://www.viewsonic.com/us/pro9000.html

I'd recommend a good extended warranty with whatever display you decide to go with.
post #186 of 264 Old 07-02-2014, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post
Not so. 64" F8500 Sold by US-Appliance and Fulfilled by Amazon.

Those are third party fulfilled .

About Fulfilled by Amazon

Items "Fulfilled by Amazon" are offered by a third-party seller, but shipped from an Amazon Fulfillment Center to you.

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos system for rooms/
post #187 of 264 Old 07-02-2014, 11:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
\

PN 64f8500's at Amazon 10 used new 0 total 10

PN 60f5300 at Amazon 3 new 1 used total 4

PN 51f5300 at Amazon 1 new 3 used total 4

Total Sammie PDP 4 used 4 new total = 18

Ofc these figures can change any time up or down and a reseller quantity may or may not have been missed
in which case I take the 5th ☺
Can't say if thats a good measure of availability not knowing their pending orders and shipments but the re sellers aren't showing many that's for sure but that is how it stands at Amazon at this moment.

Thing to do is call up some cargo ship bill of lading and manifest entries and see what is in port what has arrived what is in transit and the destinations
and what is scheduled by part/sku # it's doable maybe I will poke around and see what's out there .
Simply not correct and irresponsible for your to post. Amazon has always had the 64" 8500 NEW, only sometimes not fulfilled by Amazon. The last couple days fulfilled by Amazon. Please get your facts straight and stop misleading the readers of this forum.
mhobart likes this.
post #188 of 264 Old 07-02-2014, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
Those are third party fulfilled .

Items "Fulfilled by Amazon" are offered by a third-party seller, but shipped from an Amazon Fulfillment Center to you.
Yes, but Amazon stands by and guarantees the product. It is a Prime product, meaning shipping in two days. Amazon is a reseller, not a manufacturer, just as Best Buy or Cleveland Plasma.

All Amazon.com standard shipping rates and policies apply to these items when shipped within the U.S., including free shipping on qualifying orders over $35 and Prime shipping. International shipping may not be available for all items.

After you place an order, the carrier, ship date, and estimated delivery date for your package will be listed in Your Account and can be found in your shipment confirmation e-mail. If you have a tracking or delivery confirmation number, you can track your package by clicking the Track packages link in Your Account.

Amazon also handles all customer service and product returns for "Fulfilled by Amazon" items. If you need assistance with anything, please visit our Help pages by clicking the word "Help" at the top of any page of our website.
post #189 of 264 Old 07-03-2014, 12:18 AM
AVS Special Member

igreg what its wrong with you? is 3:16 am not in the mood of arguing.

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos system for rooms/
post #190 of 264 Old 07-03-2014, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
I just bought the store demo from my Best Buy. Don't count on F8500s being in stores next year. I agree that the price gouging on the ZT60 is a sign of things to come for the F8500. The 64-inch version is already rare. Last week at CE Week in NYC a Samsung higher-up specifically told me the F8500 is starting to become hard to find.

Re/tunetwister
You made the Smooth move getting the big boy man toy f8500 when you did good and fortuitous timing as it turns out!

If some one can't find the Sammie PDP they want soon ,
Thing to do is call up some cargo ship bill of lading and manifest entries and see what is in port what has arrived what is in transit and the destinations
and what is scheduled for ship by part/sku # it's all on the web if you know how .maybe I will poke around and see what's out there tomorrow or fri .

ofc one would have to place an order at the right time at the right place ~ 2 weeks @ entering customs or offload maybe ? and get lucky they weren't spoken for never know ? Wouldn't mind a cargo ship container full of 65f8500's money in the bank! ☺

"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-03-2014 at 01:21 PM.
post #191 of 264 Old 07-03-2014, 02:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
I just bought the store demo from my Best Buy. Don't count on F8500s being in stores next year. I agree that the price gouging on the ZT60 is a sign of things to come for the F8500. The 64-inch version is already rare. Last week at CE Week in NYC a Samsung higher-up specifically told me the F8500 is starting to become hard to find.

Re/tunetwister
You made the Smooth move getting the big boy man toy f8500 when you did good and fortuitous timing as it turns out!

If some one can't find what they want soon ,
Thing to do is call up some cargo ship bill of lading and manifest entries and see what is in port what has arrived what is in transit and the destinations it's all on the web if you know how .
and what is scheduled for ship by part/sku # it's all on the web if you know how .maybe I will poke around and see what's out there tomorrow or fri .
ofc one would have to place an order at the right time at the right place ~ 2 weeks @ entering customs or offload maybe ? and get lucky they weren't spoken for never know ? Wouldn't mind a cargo ship container full of 65f8500's money in the bank! ☺
64inch version is not at all rare. Maybe in so few months.
post #192 of 264 Old 07-03-2014, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Simply not correct and irresponsible for your to post. Amazon has always had the 64" 8500 NEW, only sometimes not fulfilled by Amazon. The last couple days fulfilled by Amazon. Please get your facts straight and stop misleading the readers of this forum.
Maybe you should take your own advice. Amazon is not selling the 64" F8500. A 3rd party has put some of their inventory into Amazon's warehouse(s). You can buy those through the Amazon Marketplace. Yes, they are fulfilled by Amazon because the aforementioned 3rd party inventory in Amazon's warehouse(s).
losservatore and tubetwister like this.
post #193 of 264 Old 07-03-2014, 05:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Plasma today? Or 4k tomorrow?

First off I'd like to state my disappointment in yet another manufacturer getting out of the Plasma game. I had such a hard time preventing myself from buying a Panny when I heard the news they were pulling out, and I've been pretty bummed ever since. Now I'm facing the same issue again with Samsung.

The open question I ask is how close do is 4k adoption?

At this point I don't have a problem finding the funds for an F8500 if this is going to be my last chance at a quality display (for the foreseeable future), but if I'm going to bite the bullet on this I'd really like to know it isn't going to become obsolete in the next few years because 4K gets into full swing.

Does anyone else have this concern?

- Current TV is a Panasonic TH-50PZ700U.
post #194 of 264 Old 07-03-2014, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAdz View Post
First off I'd like to state my disappointment in yet another manufacturer getting out of the Plasma game. I had such a hard time preventing myself from buying a Panny when I heard the news they were pulling out, and I've been pretty bummed ever since. Now I'm facing the same issue again with Samsung.

At this point I don't have a problem finding the funds for an F8500 if this is going to be my last chance at a quality display (for the foreseeable future), but if I'm going to bite the bullet on this I'd really like to know it isn't going to become obsolete in the next few years because 4K gets into full swing.

My advise? Get the F8500 and then wait until OLED hits. Forget 4K.
post #195 of 264 Old 07-03-2014, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
My advise? Get the F8500 and then wait until OLED hits. Forget 4K.
LG and Samsung already have 1080p OLED displays for sale. LG will be releasing their 4K OLED later this year. I assume you meant "wait until OLED prices go down" or "wait until OLED has proven to have a lifespan of at least a few years" before buying one?
sage11x likes this.
post #196 of 264 Old 07-03-2014, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:

I wouldn't go so far as to say that the F8500 is your last shot at a quality display but it may be your last shot at a high quality plasma display (this will shock the members around here that have made me out to be the plasma homer). The fact is many of the best LCDs produce a very good picture-- just not quite as good as the best plasmas, IMO. The real issue is many of these picture quality enhancing technologies are being reserved for the top-tier 4k LCD sets which are not only overpriced but more than a little bleeding edge as many of the standards for 4k have yet to be finalized and content is... sparse, to say the least. Of course, the F8500 is quite expensive as well but if you can manage to score one on sale or open box (like our own Mark H. aka imagic) it's a great opportunity to get in on one of the best displays ever made.

Besides motion and viewing angles I would expect pretty much all of the better LCDs would best that PZ700 you're using now (contrast, black levels, color saturation, etc). Don't get me wrong: the PZ700 was a great display but technology marches on and both plasma and LCD have improved significantly in the years since you bought your set.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #197 of 264 Old 07-03-2014, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Maybe you should take your own advice. Amazon is not selling the 64" F8500. A 3rd party has put some of their inventory into Amazon's warehouse(s). You can buy those through the Amazon Marketplace. Yes, they are fulfilled by Amazon because the aforementioned 3rd party inventory in Amazon's warehouse(s).
Right. That is the way Amazon its products. Irrelevant with regard to indication of scarcity.
post #198 of 264 Old 07-03-2014, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Since I finally decided on a plasma to wait the maturation of 4K & OLED, I'm happy to have pulled the trigger on a F8500 (arriving in a couple weeks)! Sorry to see plasma dying off already, though.
tubetwister likes this.

Gamertag: HeartbreakRidge

Enjoy a quality XBOX Live Experience with the folks at Adult Gaming Enthusiasts !
post #199 of 264 Old 07-03-2014, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:

It's not an easy choice. I personally decided to just get a F8500. Time will tell if the choice was right, but I don't think I'll be disappointed in the next 5 years or more.

Here is what went through my head.

All LCD tv's and as such all suffer from LCD problems.
The resolution may be higher, which is nice but you still have lower contrast, motion blur, uniformity, and viewing angle drawbacks.
The one area LCD's beat plasma was brightness and bright room performance. The F8500 does not suffer from that drawback.

Full Array with several dimming zones is a step in the right direction and does offer improvements, but on a plasma you are able to dim every single pixel individually. Unless there is one led per pixel (which I don't see happening), then plasma will always have the advantage.

Content
I think it's going to be awhile before 4K content becomes main stream. 1080P content is not as mainstream after all this time as you would expect.
HD cable/satellite providers deliver 1080i
Redbox has more dvd's than blu-ray's
Netflix can stream in 1080p, but cannot deliver 1080p consistently. How do they expect to deliver 4K?
http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-th...etflix/#!7ON3l

4K will require faster internet connections or some really good compression.

I also believe hdmi 2.0 is just a patch. It's maxed out and meets the bare minimum requirements for 4K.
There is going to become a new connector standard in the future.

OLED is the only hope for a better picture, but prices are still too expensive and R&D is not as strong as I
would like. It seems like the only company taking it seriously is LG.
losservatore and tubetwister like this.
post #200 of 264 Old 07-03-2014, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbas5 View Post
but I don't think I'll be disappointed in the next 5 years or more.

4K will require faster internet connections or some really good compression.

I also believe hdmi 2.0 is just a patch. It's maxed out and meets the bare minimum requirements for 4K.
There is going to become a new connector standard in the future.

Spot on!!!! The whole post! But I want to emphasize the part above with this video.

For more info visit mark schubin website.
http://www.schubincafe.com/

post #201 of 264 Old 07-03-2014, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbas5 View Post
It's not an easy choice. I personally decided to just get a F8500. Time will tell if the choice was right, but I don't think I'll be disappointed in the next 5 years or more. [...]
I see we were thinking along the same lines, just that you spelled it all out! So obviously, I concur.

actually there's another small point to add: if you are into console gaming, for the foreseeable future it will be 1080P at best. I cannot even imagine the hordes of creators necessary to make 4K resolution assets!

Gamertag: HeartbreakRidge

Enjoy a quality XBOX Live Experience with the folks at Adult Gaming Enthusiasts !
post #202 of 264 Old 07-03-2014, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
LG will be dropping plasma also "in the near future," according to the Yonhap News Agency. One of its PDP plants has already been converted to making solar batteries.

Before I saw this, I was thinking that LG would probably quit plasma next year. That thought may be right; we'll see.
post #203 of 264 Old 07-03-2014, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
64inch version is not at all rare. Maybe in so few months.
+1 Maybe just rare at Amazon yesterday and that might only be temporary that's not unusual at Amazon on some products
I'm sure some people will be relived to know there are 64's are out there at least for now good to know that will save me some shipment hunting it can get time consuming you usually have to do it by port of entry.

post #204 of 264 Old 07-03-2014, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
LG will be dropping plasma also "in the near future," according to the Yonhap News Agency. One of its PDP plants has already been converted to making solar batteries.

Before I saw this, I was thinking that LG would probably quit plasma next year. That thought may be right; we'll see.

re /tubetwister
Not surprising LG's always been thrifty on some things and TBH I'm surprised they stayed in it so long considering their lackluster PDP's.

Would have been nice to see them stay in the game and give their PDP's a proper and much needed tune up though !

OTOH There is some easy money to be made for them in Solar batteries with government subsidies and all it's free money for them ! I wonder how much $$ they will swindle out of US DOE either directly or indirectly ?

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-03-2014 at 02:48 PM.
post #205 of 264 Old 07-03-2014, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangEmHi View Post
I see we were thinking along the same lines, just that you spelled it all out! So obviously, I concur.

actually there's another small point to add: if you are into console gaming, for the foreseeable future it will be 1080P at best. I cannot even imagine the hordes of creators necessary to make 4K resolution assets!
Maybe PS8 and Xbone 9 will be 4k
Chris5028 likes this.

post #206 of 264 Old 07-03-2014, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
re /tubetwister
Not surprising LG's always been thrifty on some things and TBH I'm surprised they stayed in it so long considering their lackluster PDP's.

Would have been nice to see them stay in the game and give their PDP's a proper and much needed tune up though !

There is some easy money to be made for them in Solar batteries with government subsidies and all it's free money for them !
Having seen them at several Value Electronics shoot-outs, my impression of LG plasma was always great color, poor blacks. Samsung struck me as the same but with better blacks, thogh still not up to Panasonic or Pioneer levels. The 8500 made great strides with its light output, though.

I don't think I should worry about any of this until I actually need a new TV.
post #207 of 264 Old 07-03-2014, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
Having seen them at several Value Electronics shoot-outs, my impression of LG plasma was always great color, poor blacks. Samsung struck me as the same but with better blacks, though still not up to Panasonic or Pioneer levels. The 8500 made great strides with its light output, though.

I don't think I should worry about any of this until I actually need a new TV.
For now I think the f8500 Sammie is pretty stonking especially when compared to almost all of the LCD's
especially now that the VT/ZT pannies are gone I always liked the superior brightness of the f8500 not really such a bad trade off all in all IMO. I'm half tempted to get one while I still can although my 60f5300 is less than a year old
and is actually pretty good once you get it set not VT/ZT/f8500 good but still good and it can give plenty of the LCD's
including mine a proper spanking!

+1 I can see with that Pioneer Pro you shouldn't be needing a new panel for a good while and boards can still be had
here and there should you ever need one . Stonking system you have there btw congrats !

The LG PDP's I saw were not quite up to the Pannies or Sammies but on their own probably still an acceptable alternative to a lot of LCD

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-03-2014 at 03:03 PM.
post #208 of 264 Old 07-03-2014, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Ive got to step up my plans to buy a Sammy 51F5300.

Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Sega Genesis / Nintendo SNES / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
post #209 of 264 Old 07-03-2014, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I know this is conspiracy talk but I always thought that Samsung was targeting Panasonic by producing the Plasma TVs they made.

Now that Panny is out they are pulling the plug on plasma and the consumer has nowhere to turn.

Plasma is dead.

I can only hope that OLED is the new plasma.
post #210 of 264 Old 07-03-2014, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post
You know a display doesn't use it's maximum wattage right? My 60" kuro uses 524 watts total. But with normal content playing it stays below 300 watts. The average I noticed is about 250 watts. The lowest about 140 in low contrast scenes.

This right here is one of the reasons plasma is now gone; misinformation.
Plasma being a self emitting display, power draw in completely dependent on the material being displayed. With that, average power draw will vary from user to user. My point is that for some people, it will be drawing every bit of those 600 watts on a normal basis. My plasmas use their peak power rating almost constantly when gaming. They use much less when watching a movie (especially ones with black bars), but still my point is that it has the potential to use all that power.
Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
frontpage

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page