149Likes

post #211 of 275 Old 07-03-2014, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post
Plasma being a self emitting display, power draw in completely dependent on the material being displayed. With that, average power draw will vary from user to user. My point is that for some people, it will be drawing every bit of those 600 watts on a normal basis. My plasmas use their peak power rating almost constantly when gaming. They use much less when watching a movie (especially ones with black bars), but still my point is that it has the potential to use all that power.
In the grand scheme of things it's very insignificant. You are talking about $10-15/year extra compared to a LCD. And with LCD's adding more LED's and dimming zones they are becoming less "GREEN".

You probably have a bigger impact on the environment doing a beer run or going to pick up a movie from redbox than you do getting a plasma over a lcd and staying home to watch it.
Johnla and saprano like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 275 Old 07-03-2014, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
Those are third party fulfilled .

About Fulfilled by Amazon

Items "Fulfilled by Amazon" are offered by a third-party seller, but shipped from an Amazon Fulfillment Center to you.
I'm sorry, but the argument about a TV sold by Amazon or merely shipped by Amazon on behalf of another party strikes me as rather petty bickering. The thread is about the decline of Plasma TVs, not about who is shipping them. Just my $0.02 worth.
post #213 of 275 Old 07-04-2014, 02:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Maybe you should take your own advice. Amazon is not selling the 64" F8500. A 3rd party has put some of their inventory into Amazon's warehouse(s). You can buy those through the Amazon Marketplace. Yes, they are fulfilled by Amazon because the aforementioned 3rd party inventory in Amazon's warehouse(s).

Is it the your opinion that the f8500 series is already becoming scarce? Do you believe the Amazon fulfilled is one sign? If you believe this, how long can the consumer wait until prices rise as availability no longer exists from traditional sources? I respect your opinion. Thank you.

Last edited by igreg; 07-04-2014 at 02:20 AM.
post #214 of 275 Old 07-04-2014, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 143
I guess the panasonics sold out fast in the US? Because the 65ZT60 has been sold by shop.ca for a while, they just got in more new stock this week. Their sale price last week was 3699 and with ebates you got 15% cash back. They raised it $100 this week and ebates is only 7%, but you get 60,000 airmiles with it now. Amazon.ca still sells it through a 3rd party as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #215 of 275 Old 07-04-2014, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassment View Post
I guess the panasonics sold out fast in the US? Because the 65ZT60 has been sold by shop.ca for a while, they just got in more new stock this week. Their sale price last week was 3699 and with ebates you got 15% cash back. They raised it $100 this week and ebates is only 7%, but you get 60,000 airmiles with it now. Amazon.ca still sells it through a 3rd party as well.
You can get them but for about $2500 more than they initially sold for. That is what the main discussion is. How long until these are over priced.
post #216 of 275 Old 07-04-2014, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
You can get them but for about $2500 more than they initially sold for. That is what the main discussion is. How long until these are over priced.
I know, it's just strange as they are still available in Canada - and for a large discount off MSRP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #217 of 275 Old 07-04-2014, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked: 2271
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post

Is it the your opinion that the f8500 series is already becoming scarce? Do you believe the Amazon fulfilled is one sign? If you believe this, how long can the consumer wait until prices rise as availability no longer exists from traditional sources? I respect your opinion. Thank you.
Just to interject, when I made a comment about the PN64F8500 becoming scarce, the context was a post where the member thought they would be able to pick one up as an open-box/store demo sometime next year. I don't see that happening.

In the US, what few 65-inch ZT60s you can find are marked way up, usually around $6000 or $7000. I don't know what exactly will happen to the F8500, but the one thing that seems certain is Samsung will stop making them. Using Best Buy as a measure, most stores don't have one on location, or on display (any more). The switch just happened. At some point this year the supply of F8500s will amount to what's left in warehouses. Who knows if the price will go up, down, or stay the same.

That shop.ca price on a ZT60 is a rare deal these days.
Edllguy, mhobart and tubetwister like this.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at
post #218 of 275 Old 07-04-2014, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCCaniac View Post
Sigh. Looks like plasma is becoming the Betamax / HD-DVD of the TV world. Glad I got a Panasonic P60ST60 last fall. Hope it lasts a long time.
Yeah, me too!! Got my 60ST60 in late December 2013.
post #219 of 275 Old 07-04-2014, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I've read reviews saying that LG plasmas have black levels that don't even live up to good LCD TVs. So unless LG can come up with improvements, they SHOULD pull the plug on plasma production. At least I got my Samsung PN43F4500 when I did back in January. I knew this was going to happen. I hate being wrong when I don't want to be wrong. Likewise, I hate being right when I don't want to be right!
post #220 of 275 Old 07-04-2014, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Samsung and Panasonic should give all their plasma research and production info to LG
ToadB and Weboh like this.

post #221 of 275 Old 07-04-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have two LG plasmas, 50" and 60" and my son has two 50" Panasonic plasmas, none are top of the line models. Although I consider Panasonic better, I am happy with LG plasma, 2011 models and hope both last for a number of years when I can move on to something else.

This announcement can't be a surprise to anybody although I thought maybe Samsung had figured out a way to make and sell plasma HDTVs profitably and would do so for a few more years.

As far as when LG will bow out, probably immediately.
post #222 of 275 Old 07-04-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassment View Post
Samsung and Panasonic should give all their plasma research and production info to LG
Having seen product lines discontinued by manufacturers before, they usually try to maximize the possible return from the discontinued product. This often does not include much consideration of the consumer and, to put it bluntly, may involve so much delay that it does not end up in the best interest of the manufacturer whose product was discontinued.

Your suggestion might be a good one for the consumer, but don't hold out much hope that it would happen.
post #223 of 275 Old 07-04-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
No LCD panel types (IPS, TN, and VA) or LED backlighting/dimming method (edge-lit and FALD) will be able to do what CRTs, plasmas, OLED, laser pixels, or other emissive technologies can do without artifacts. Instead of wasting manufacturing money trying to do the impossible, why doesn't everyone just start cutting costs for LCD manufacturing so that companies can afford developing emissive panel types? Maybe better TVs would become more afordible to the consumers, and companies would be able to aford selling things to consumers at lower prices if companies weren't wasting their money on banging their heads against the wall all the time. In fact, I like this post of mine so much that I just started a new thread for emissive panel types. We have this Samsung thread to mourn the loss of another great line of TVs. However, I created a thread to discuss a possible successful future in the world of TV panel production.

Last edited by Big C; 07-04-2014 at 10:30 AM.
post #224 of 275 Old 07-04-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post
I really think there is a bigger story going on here. One that us diehards are failing to grasp and accept. It looks to me like there is an unannounced consensus between HDTV/Display producers that has been reached. The consensus is that they will all abandon the esoteric high end market. They have packed so much generic quality into the middle and low end markets, that they see no reason for a "High End" to exist. This actually started years ago IMO. Companies like Mitsubishi, Pioneer Kuro and others bailed early on large screen, CRT centric technologies. Retailers abandoned the high end after companies like "Best Buy & Circuit City" had run all of the boutiques out of business. Now it's plasma's turn to join the march to extinction with the dinosaurs. And it looks like all of the OLED eggs Plasma birthed runs the risk of never really being hatched.

Maybe those companies like Samsung are telling us more about ourselves than what many of us want to recognize. And that is pursuit of an acceptable "Best" for all seasons Display tech has already been achieved. And the pursuit of a "Better" just doesn't matter to enough of us anymore. Especially if "Big Screen Experiences" trend to cheaper micro displays in the future with devices like Oculus Rift and Sony Morpheus. If those OLED eggs are going to find a permanent home. It is there and in the mobile world IMO. And who knows? That segment may become the "High End" for the youth of tomorrow.

R.I.P plasma. Your post CRT reign was way too short for us people of today.
I couldn't agree more. I have been thinking the same thing.
barrelbelly likes this.
post #225 of 275 Old 07-04-2014, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
That bit of optimism is history, along with Samsung's OLED offering. Evidently going all-in on oversized, curved, edgelit, UHD LCDs is the power move. Family TVs for the living room drive the market, and having the biggest curved screens for the lowest price looks like the chosen path.

It's a bit mind-blowing, considering how incredible the UN64F8500 is, I did not expect it to calibrate so perfectly, and look so good. Soon, I'm going to sound like those Kuro-heads that people in the LCD forums make fun of.
Welcome to the world of high end plasma! Nothing else will do now.
Djoel and xvfx like this.
post #226 of 275 Old 07-04-2014, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post
Yeah, me too!! Got my 60ST60 in late December 2013.
I am one of many around here (60 ST60) hoping their plasma lasts.

It is a strange time for display technology.
cajieboy, barrelbelly and dnoonie like this.
post #227 of 275 Old 07-04-2014, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 14
dolby vision ougt to replace everything
post #228 of 275 Old 07-04-2014, 03:48 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post
I am one of many around here (60 ST60) hoping their plasma lasts.

It is a strange time for display technology.
+1. My 60E7000 needs to last at least another 3 years. By then hopefully everyone's OLED dreams will be coming to fruition.

Samsung PN60E7000
Sony HT-CT770
Custom HTPC - 3.2GHz/8TB/8GB/HD5670
post #229 of 275 Old 07-04-2014, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDust View Post
Mine carried the full Panasonic line up until the end.
same here....sans the ZT

I dont ever recall seeing that set there

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Pioneer SC37 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009/906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
post #230 of 275 Old 07-04-2014, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
I have two LG plasmas, 50" and 60" and my son has two 50" Panasonic plasmas, none are top of the line models. Although I consider Panasonic better, I am happy with LG plasma, 2011 models and hope both last for a number of years when I can move on to something else.

This announcement can't be a surprise to anybody although I thought maybe Samsung had figured out a way to make and sell plasma HDTVs profitably and would do so for a few more years.

As far as when LG will bow out, probably immediately.
I agree with your points
I am not sure why everyone is surprised when these manufacturers pull the plug on technology

Panasonic especially...they went at least a year longer than I speculated they would considering their financials. I bet some financial consultants were telling them to pull the plug on plasma 2-3 years ago

LG makes a very good value plasma...I have some close relatives that have one from 2011
I found it at a sears clearance at 75% off as a display...its a 60"..PK750
For the price.or even double its price..it a great TV

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
post #231 of 275 Old 07-04-2014, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhobart View Post
I'm sorry, but the argument about a TV sold by Amazon or merely shipped by Amazon on behalf of another party strikes me as rather petty bickering. The thread is about the decline of Plasma TVs, not about who is shipping them. Just my $0.02 worth.

I don't know if you have been following this thread, but I mentioned Amazon because (Amazon) not third party stores .... Amazon keeps the prices low,if Amazon no longer have them,don't expect any blowout sale from those third party stores, usually the prices stay at msrp or even higher than msrp.So better hurry ,,,before amazon run out of stock

The thread is about Samsung stopping production on their plasmas.

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Revel Surrounds/Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos play:1 for bedrooms,kitchen,bathroom/Master bedroom Sonos sound bar/Sonos sub and Sonos play 1 surrounds.

Last edited by losservatore; 07-05-2014 at 12:01 AM.
post #232 of 275 Old 07-05-2014, 12:21 AM

Quote:
I don't know if you have been following this thread, but I mentioned Amazon because (Amazon) not third party stores .... Amazon keeps the prices low,if Amazon no longer have them,don't expect any blowout sale from those third party stores, usually the prices stay at msrp or even higher than msrp.So better hurry ,,,before amazon run out of stock

Understood. Last fall I had considered getting a Panasonic plasma when I thought that my existing HDTV was having a hardware problem, but I discovered I had an HDMI cable problem instead. I recently got a 2013 model Vizio while they were still available as they offered 3D (which I wished to test out) while the 2014 Vizio models dropped that feature. I recognize that the plasmas from other manufacturers offered better performance than LED sets but at this time finances played a factor.
post #233 of 275 Old 07-05-2014, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

yes...and then the prices will start to rise
At least the asking prices anyway...like they have on the Panasonics

I "guess" there might be a buyer out there who will pay over MSRP

I laugh at some of the prices on Amazon ( third party) for discontinued TV's
I saw a used Sharp Elite for $7500..no warranty
You could have bought a display unit at BB a year ago for like $2600( or less) with the 2 year manufacturer warranty

But hey...who am I to guess. Maybe there are actual buyers for some of these overpriced discontinued units

Warren

post #234 of 275 Old 07-05-2014, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I should get one while I still have the chance , but they're so damn expensive. What're they positioning as the next big bad, OLED?
post #235 of 275 Old 07-05-2014, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 View Post
I should get one while I still have the chance , but they're so damn expensive. What're they positioning as the next big bad, OLED?
LG is the only one making OLED. They have a 4k one coming soon
post #236 of 275 Old 07-05-2014, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Well this made my mind up for me, off the fence and a 60F8500 arriving on Tuesday
imagic and losservatore like this.
post #237 of 275 Old 07-05-2014, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewaves View Post
Well this made my mind up for me, off the fence and a 60F8500 arriving on Tuesday
awesome

If i didnt go out and grab a VT60 last year when panasonic left the market i would be doing the same thing now

post #238 of 275 Old 07-05-2014, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 117
...as long as there's water.....cool, cool water!

Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Sega Genesis / Nintendo SNES / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
post #239 of 275 Old 07-05-2014, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post
No, I don't think it's a sign. Amazon hasn't had any for months. It does seem that most stores don't have them in inventory in the stores, but this also has been this way for months. They seem to be mostly in the central warehouses. I don't know if that's a sign of scarcity or just slow sales. I'd think they could vanish pretty quickly though given the centralization of inventory. It's not like every Best Buy has 20 of them and if you can't get one from one BB, another probably still has 'em.
post #240 of 275 Old 07-06-2014, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Been waiting... And Waiting

Well, I have a 70" Sony XBR that has the usual problems. I have been Waiting for, what it seems like forever for the next great display to emerge. We all know how that has gone. Never wanted to down size, only get larger and better. Panasonic left the picture and now the 8500. Promises, Promises that the next great display is coming out. Especially something in the 80" category. All ideas would be appreciated. Do I downsize and get a quality set now and watch and wait or what? This unit will disappear as the Panny did and while the 8500 would be smaller, ugh it would be far better than my failing display. ///

Thanks gentlemen

Mrfixit
Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
frontpage

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page