510Likes

post #301 of 1678 Old 07-23-2014, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Doubt it. Take a look here:

Samsung 85HU8550 is FALD according to HD Guru. Can that be True?

Doesn't seem likely that they'd produce a larger version of their non-flagship 4K set with a more advanced backlighting and then slap an MSRP of just $10K on it. Most likely edge-lit, but manufacturers nowadays have such convoluted marketing terminology that it's hard for anybody to tell what's what.

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Sony KDL-32W650A, Sony BDP-S1000ES, Marantz PM8004, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Sennheiser HD598
lr Panasonic 50" ST60, Sony BDP-S5100, Apple TV
pc Energy CB-5, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 1678 Old 07-23-2014, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post
Doubt it. Take a look here:

Samsung 85HU8550 is FALD according to HD Guru. Can that be True?

Doesn't seem likely that they'd produce a larger version of their non-flagship 4K set with a more advanced backlighting and then slap an MSRP of just $10K on it. Most likely edge-lit, but manufacturers nowadays have such convoluted marketing terminology that it's hard for anybody to tell what's what.
Well thats says it may be. I dont know.
post #303 of 1678 Old 07-24-2014, 02:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Where did you find that info about the Samsungs being 10 bit panels? I've read that they are 8-bit but I can't find anything definitive.
that's not easy. you can sell a 8 bit panel as 10 bit just by using a+FRC.
here is an example: http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/p.../LU28D590DS/EN
this is an TN 8 bit panel with a+FRC.
i can't find any infos if this UHD display uses a+FRC or if it is native 10 bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post
That's correct, bit depth and chroma sub sampling not related. You can have 4:2:0 at 10 bits and 4:4:4 at 8 bits.
you can send 12 bit RGB/YCbCr 4:4:4 over HDMI and most TV accept that signal. even my old CCFL LED can handle 12 bit RGB HDMI input. i just say this to make clear that a high deep input signal means panel.
and DP supports RGB 10 bit for UHD.
HDMI 2.0 is just a joke... they should switch to DP but no they don't for what ever reason...
post #304 of 1678 Old 07-24-2014, 06:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked: 1080
Quote:
UHD/4K today is exactly where 3D was when it first rolled out—it's immature tech that drives up costs, and there's almost nothing to watch that takes advantage of it.
Of course we could have said that about HD not all that long ago.
marcuslaw likes this.
post #305 of 1678 Old 07-24-2014, 06:47 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked: 2246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Of course we could have said that about HD not all that long ago.
I totally agree, but Blu-ray and the PS3 were a bit of a phenomenon of the time, the HD-DVD vs. Blu-ray war actually brought HD to the public's attention via the press, and I remember how Netflix launched 1080p on the PS3 as well. I honestly thought the PS4 would offer streaming/downloadable UHD/4K movies by now. I'm waiting for something to show up—Vudu UHDX? iTuned UHD? 4K Blu-ray? Even a Sony branded 4K would work, as long as you can at least play it the movies on any UHDTV.

Bottom line: UHD/4K needs a cross-platform, popular device and service to support it.
Mrorange303 likes this.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #306 of 1678 Old 07-24-2014, 06:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcarcas View Post
What I don't get is when people say that watching 4K content on a 2K TV over 2K content it actually looks better................
Where is the extra information coming from to make it a better picture? Or is it just placebo?
The tighter pixel structure of 4K makes for a smoother picture. You won't see more detail, but the detail you do see will simply be smoother. Remember Apple's comments regarding the "Retina Display"?
DaveC56 and Mrorange303 like this.
post #307 of 1678 Old 07-24-2014, 06:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Bottom line: UHD/4K needs a cross-platform, popular device and service to support it.
Build it and they shall come.
post #308 of 1678 Old 07-24-2014, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The tighter pixel structure of 4K makes for a smoother picture. You won't see more detail, but the detail you do see will simply be smoother. Remember Apple's comments regarding the "Retina Display"?
Colors look better as well. New lighting tech for2014 seems to concentrate on a bright picture. I like that. I live in a very sunny place. Sun all the time.
post #309 of 1678 Old 07-24-2014, 07:03 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcarcas View Post
What I don't get is when people say that watching 4K content on a 2K TV over 2K content it actually looks better................
Where is the extra information coming from to make it a better picture? Or is it just placebo?
When you downscale 2160p 4:2:0 video to 1080p properly, you wind up with 4:4:4 (edited) video. So it's possible that there's more chroma information that's accounting for the difference.

Graphic from wikipedia.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chroma.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	178090  
Mrorange303 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by imagic; 07-24-2014 at 09:31 AM.
post #310 of 1678 Old 07-24-2014, 07:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmReverie View Post
Plasma's are the leaders in color accuracy when it is lcd vs plasma.
That is simply, 100%, false. There is absolutely nothing inherent in LCD or plasma that makes one tech more color accurate than the other. It's amazing how these things still persist.

I'm sorry, but I'm a bit late to this thread. The observation I have among some of the posters is that the '4K vs 1080p' debate is really, under the surface, the old plasma vs LCD debate. I see the posters, I know their preferences, and their arguments regarding 4K vs 1080p fall precisely in line with their preference for one tech over the other.

I've got a Sharp Elite LED in the bedroom and the Samsung F8500 plasma in the den. 4K? Bring it on and the sooner the better! Yes, I'm in the market, big time! I am a bit biased in that I have a 4K camcorder, so content is less of an issue for me than some, but I still want broadcaster content.

As for the argument that current UHD TVs will become 'instantly obsolete', I again say nonsense. Yes, in several years they won't be able to produce the extended color gamut or ultra high contrast (if this stuff even happens over the next several years), but they'll still be able to produce a beautiful picture. I think some think that once we go to a Rec2020, all current TVs will produce a B&W picture...or no picture at all. In fact, there's a chance that even Rec709 displays will improve a bit with the implementation of Rec2020. We've seen this kind of thing before where a new standard or methodology actually improves an older piece of equipment even though it's theoretically incompatible with the new standard. Will you get the same level of performance of a display that is compatible with all of the new standards? No. Will the display become obsolete. NO! Will the disparity in the level of performance be great? Who knows and I contend that anyone that sits here saying "Oh, the differences will be huge", is whistling in the dark. We simply don't know how these things will pan out once they actually arrive...whenever that is.

As for the 10 bit vs 8 bit panel argument, I mentioned this in another thread. Do we 'really' know what the actual perceived difference will be? Assuming we have the content that takes advantage of this, how much of a difference will there 'really' be? Has anyone seen it? I certainly haven't. Far too many times I've seen (or heard) promises that the next big thing will just blow whatever is out there out of the water. Unfortunately, more often than not, those statements turn out to be hyperbole.

Let's put it this way. How many of you with great ISF'd displays, go to the movies and say "Wow, the color is just so much better at the theater than when I get home". Or, regarding movie theater black levels (that are really poor by home theater standards), how many of you come out of a movie saying "Damn, that experience was really ruined by those lousy black levels!!". I've never heard it.

So I'm more than dubious about the dire warning "Don't buy today, it will be obsolete tomorrow".
post #311 of 1678 Old 07-24-2014, 07:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
When you downscale 2160p 4:2:0 video to 1080p properly, you wind up with 4:4:0 video. So it's possible that there's more chroma information that's accounting for the difference.

And this is a big 'bingo'! I can tell you with 100% certainty that viewing 4K content on a 2K TV DOES improve the video...dramatically so.

Since most of you guys don't tend to visit the camcorder section of AVS, you wouldn't know how many camcorders some of us go through. I have had some of the best 2K camcorders that produced really nice video. However my current 4K camcorder simply blows every 2K camcorder out of the water when viewed on my 2K TV.

I have seen people explaining it exactly as Mark has above. It's probably part of it, but I think it goes beyond that. It goes back to resolution. What I think is really happening is that at least at the consumer level, 2K cameras were not producing full HD resolution anywhere near what the HD standard's potential is. Since 4K is so far beyond 2K, what we're actually seeing in 4K>2K, is full HD resolution...for the first time. In fact 4K camera owners often tell people that don't own UHD displays, that they will unquestionably see a huge benefit from 4K cameras immediately. Of course the PQ will be even greater when viewed on a 4K monitor or UHD TV. Viewing my videos in 4K is an entirely different experience, but it doesn't detract from the massive improvement in viewing in 2K.
post #312 of 1678 Old 07-24-2014, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh they don't need the science, more pixels means nothing it has zero effect but more pixels. It's the theme here. Again I say if your in the market and you don't go 4k then you are on an even smaller time clock for being obsolete. The material is actually ahead of us. We need to get the sets out there to encourage company's to take the financial hit of transitioning into the uhd world for us.

The studios have plenty of uhd material. But we don't have the saturation to support a full commitment from them yet. With threads like this we won't see that for a couple more years.

The magic connection is us and educating members of the true benefit of these technological upgrades for us all. But old tactics always rear their ugly heads and we have to fight just to get back to a common sense approach.

So it takes way more time than it should. Love what we had. Appreciate it. Embrace what is coming for it is already upon us.
post #313 of 1678 Old 07-24-2014, 08:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 1390
UHD/4K Quandary: To Buy or Not to Buy

Quote:
I totally agree, but Blu-ray and the PS3 were a bit of a phenomenon of the time, the HD-DVD vs. Blu-ray war actually brought HD to the public's attention via the press, and I remember how Netflix launched 1080p on the PS3 as well. I honestly thought the PS4 would offer streaming/downloadable UHD/4K movies by now. I'm waiting for something to show up—Vudu UHDX? iTuned UHD? 4K Blu-ray? Even a Sony branded 4K would work, as long as you can at least play it the movies on any UHDTV.

They don't even support 3D bluray yet, so UHD support may be a long way off.

Either way, it's questionable whether the PS4 will ever be capable of decoding HEVC at the kind of bitrates we'd want for high quality 4K (50mbit or so). They might be limited to relatively low quality 10-15mbit streams, the kind you'd get out of Netflix.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #314 of 1678 Old 07-24-2014, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
They don't even support 3D bluray yet, so UHD support may be a long way off.

Either way, it's questionable whether the PS4 will ever be capable of decoding HEVC at the kind of bitrates we'd want for high quality 4K (50mbit or so). They might be limited to relatively low quality 10-15mbit streams, the kind you'd get out of Netflix.
Good news is ps4 does 3d bluray next week.

I'll tell you how it compares to my Panasonic bdt360 which has a beastly 3d picture thats clean.
post #315 of 1678 Old 07-24-2014, 08:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
As I've noted before, I have a calibrated 65-inch UHDTV right next to my calibrated 1080p F8500. I'm about as perfectly set up to compare reference-quality 1080p to UHD/4K as anyone I know. Is there a dramatic difference in detail? Only for still images viewed close-up. Once things start moving, motion resolution becomes a factor and LCDs limitations come into play. UHDTVs are really great at showing off the kind of eye-candy, slow camera movement, super-saturated UHD footage used at shows and in showrooms. Add fast motion and plasma looks better, unless you are a fan of soap opera effect.
A study conducted by CBS in the early days of HD to determine if CBS should go 1080i or 720p, showed that over 90% of what we see on TV is static or nearly static in nature. So that means that motion resolution issues come in to play approximately 10% of the time or less. The other 90% we'll see that dramatic difference in detail and that great 'eye candy'.
post #316 of 1678 Old 07-24-2014, 08:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrorange303 View Post
Again I say if your in the market and you don't go 4k then you are on an even smaller time clock for being obsolete.
And I think this is 100% true. I find it almost amusing that some of those warning UHD buyers that their sets will soon be obsolete, have no issues either buying or recommending buying a 2K TV. Hmm, which will be obsolete sooner?
bruceames and fatuglyguy like this.
post #317 of 1678 Old 07-24-2014, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
When you downscale 2160p 4:2:0 video to 1080p properly, you wind up with 4:4:0 video. So it's possible that there's more chroma information that's accounting for the difference.

i will not use ":" for chroma patters in this post

this is not true and not really wrong you can theoretically scale to 440.

first off all a UHD yua 420 is 3840x2160 Y and both chroma channel have 1920x1080p.

so you can scale the Y to 1920x1080 and get 444 not 440 at least with proper scaling. most scaler will not change the subsampling at all and stay at 420.

for 440 you need to scale the chroma channel too. for 1920x1080 it is Y channel with 1920x1080 chroma channels with 1920x540 i may mix that up with 422 both have the same bit per pixel and both have a chroma with halve the size of luma. 440 is so very very unusual i don't even know the name for it yua format...

in the end nearly all picture processors in current TV turn any input to 422 so you don't get 444 at all.
post #318 of 1678 Old 07-24-2014, 08:24 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
A study conducted by CBS in the early days of HD to determine if CBS should go 1080i or 720p, showed that over 90% of what we see on TV is static or nearly static in nature. So that means that motion resolution issues come in to play approximately 10% of the time or less. The other 90% we'll see that dramatic difference in detail and that great 'eye candy'.
Perhaps the difference in eye candy-related priorities is accounted for by the content I prefer, versus what CBS might have been studying. I don't watch serialized TV shows at all, and when it comes to movies I am biased towards kinetic, action-oriented entertainment.

post #319 of 1678 Old 07-24-2014, 08:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Given that real 4K content is still a distant hope, it would be nice if TV reviewers objectively measured the effectivenes of a displays upscaling rather than falling back on useless subjective descriptions. There are indeed ways to do this, yet I've never seen it done.
Because there's no standard for this, evaluations on upscaling will always be subjective. You can place a 'perfect' 1080p panel next to the UHD display being evaluated and feed them the same 2K signal. Even there, it will be a subjective evaluation.

Contrary to what some think, I see nothing wrong with subjective evaluations as long as you have some idea of the person doing that subjective evaluation. As an example, I've always liked Tom Norton's reviews because I think he's an objective reviewer and I've almost always agreed with his evaluations. So if he sees things one way, there's a pretty good chance I'd see it the same way.

Always great to have charts & curves for objective measurements, but there's also room for subjective evaluation. Unfortunately, some on AVS don't seem to think there's any room for subjectivity. We don't have standards for everything.
post #320 of 1678 Old 07-24-2014, 08:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Let me boil this down for you: your 4k that you just bought may never do any of that other **** they were talking about.
Sigh. Why is it that some take delight in making others feel badly? I'll never understand this. Never.
David Susilo likes this.
post #321 of 1678 Old 07-24-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Too many of this kind of posters in the past year or so. Too bad moderators don't do anything about them.
Ken Ross likes this.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

post #322 of 1678 Old 07-24-2014, 08:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Exactly. I don't have a downer on LCD it's just I've never enjoyed the 'look' of large screen LCD for tv/movies. I think this really comes down to how LCD produces motion vs plasma and, of course, vs DLP-- which is another fantastic 'outmoded' tech!
So again, this is a generalization that in some cases apply and in some cases does not apply. All LCDs are not created equal.

Far too many of these generalizations in this thread, but why should this thread be any different than any other?
post #323 of 1678 Old 07-24-2014, 09:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Perhaps the difference in eye candy-related priorities is accounted for by the content I prefer, versus what CBS might have been studying. I don't watch serialized TV shows at all, and when it comes to movies I am biased towards kinetic, action-oriented entertainment.
Mark, the content they studies was across the board. I spoke with Dave Ross who was (is?) the chief engineer at CBS back in the early days of HD. They looked at movies, sports, dramas, the whole enchilada in making that determination. When you watch TV and keep that in mind, you'll see how accurate that assessment is.

My viewing is across the board, so I know I'll see more eye candy than not.
post #324 of 1678 Old 07-24-2014, 09:06 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

I'm just waiting for a (relatively) affordable 2160p projector—preferably featuring a LED light source. Unlike many of the UHDTV demos I've seen, 4K projection is notably amazing-looking from normal viewing distances—a true leap forward in image fidelity versus everything that precedes it. But that's partly because decent projectors don't suffer from LCD flat panel issues, plasma issues, OLED issues... you know the deal, front projection rocks for home cinema. So, that's another reason I'm willing to wait and chill for a while with a 1080p TV—there's gotta be an affordable UHD projector in the R&D pipeline, that's what I really want to save my money for.
cardoski likes this.

post #325 of 1678 Old 07-24-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Uh... You end up with 4:4:4, not 4:4:0. UHD (3840x2160) 4:2:0 has 1920x1080 chroma planes. Effectively you would only scale the luma plane, leave the chroma planes alone, and up with with 1080p 4:4:4.
post #326 of 1678 Old 07-24-2014, 09:29 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Uh... You end up with 4:4:4, not 4:4:0. UHD (3840x2160) 4:2:0 has 1920x1080 chroma planes. Effectively you would only scale the luma plane, leave the chroma planes alone, and up with with 1080p 4:4:4.
Cool, thank you for that. In that case, it's even more likely there is a visible benefit to 1080p video derived from 4:2:0 2160p with proper downscaling, versus native 4:2:0 1080p.

Last edited by imagic; 07-24-2014 at 09:33 AM.
post #327 of 1678 Old 07-24-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 1390
Quote:
Because there's no standard for this, evaluations on upscaling will always be subjective. You can place a 'perfect' 1080p panel next to the UHD display being evaluated and feed them the same 2K signal. Even there, it will be a subjective evaluation.

Contrary to what some think, I see nothing wrong with subjective evaluations as long as you have some idea of the person doing that subjective evaluation. As an example, I've always liked Tom Norton's reviews because I think he's an objective reviewer and I've almost always agreed with his evaluations. So if he sees things one way, there's a pretty good chance I'd see it the same way.

Always great to have charts & curves for objective measurements, but there's also room for subjective evaluation. Unfortunately, some on AVS don't seem to think there's any room for subjectivity. We don't have standards for everything.

I think there's room for subjectivity, but I'd prefer that be in the form of two images side by side that I can judge for myself. The descriptive language of an subjective opinion is like a second order of subjectivity, and thats considerably less valuable IMO.

As far as an objective test goes, the method I believe works well is to take a 4K frame, downsample it to 1080p, then let it upscale to 4K. Then subtract the upscaled image from the original 4K frame, and mathematically calculate the difference. It's a straightforward and direct way of testing how close the upscaler comes to recreating 4K from 1080p.

Here's a great example:

http://jeanbruenn.info/2011/10/30/up...n-of-resizers/

And you can see how well the objective measures correlate to the subjective image quality.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #328 of 1678 Old 07-24-2014, 10:19 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
I think there's room for subjectivity, but I'd prefer that be in the form of two images side by side that I can judge for myself. The descriptive language of an subjective opinion is like a second order of subjectivity, and thats considerably less valuable IMO.

As far as an objective test goes, the method I believe works well is to take a 4K frame, downsample it to 1080p, then let it upscale to 4K. Then subtract the upscaled image from the original 4K frame, and mathematically calculate the difference. It's a straightforward and direct way of testing how close the upscaler comes to recreating 4K from 1080p.

Here's a great example:

http://jeanbruenn.info/2011/10/30/up...n-of-resizers/

And you can see how well the objective measures correlate to the subjective image quality.
It was some time ago that I went through all the upscaling algorithms out there, but that was usually for printing still photography, much less often video. Some resizing algorithms are definitely better (and usually more computationally intensive) than others, and after resizing it's definitely possible to apply sharpening to the end result, to increase the apparent contrast of sudden transitions (i.e. lines). That does tend to make an image look crispy, and can help create the illusion of additional detail—but it's still not a substitute for native resolution. In essence, all these tricks are old tricks.

I wish there was a way to compare what the TV actually does, using the workflow you describe. However, there's no real way to directly capture what's on the screen when content is being upscaled by the TV itself.

post #329 of 1678 Old 07-24-2014, 10:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I'm just waiting for a (relatively) affordable 2160p projector—preferably featuring a LED light source. Unlike many of the UHDTV demos I've seen, 4K projection is notably amazing-looking from normal viewing distances—a true leap forward in image fidelity versus everything that precedes it. But that's partly because decent projectors don't suffer from LCD flat panel issues, plasma issues, OLED issues... you know the deal, front projection rocks for home cinema. So, that's another reason I'm willing to wait and chill for a while with a 1080p TV—there's gotta be an affordable UHD projector in the R&D pipeline, that's what I really want to save my money for.
Well, FP is not without its issues. As with all the other techs, pluses and minuses.
post #330 of 1678 Old 07-24-2014, 10:55 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Well, FP is not without its issues. As with all the other techs, pluses and minuses.
When it comes to theatrical presentation of high-resolution content, i.e. true home theater, I can't think of anything that beats FP. More pluses than minuses IMO, as long as you accept the need for a dedicated, optimized space.
kimg1453 and cardoski like this.

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
frontpage

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page