post #691 of 1798 Old 07-30-2014, 05:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by abates17 View Post
I’ll try to post some pictures tonight, for comparison.
Why bother? If the results don't show what they want to see they'll simply revert back to their claim that you can't use pictures on the internet to compare TVs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 1798 Old 07-30-2014, 07:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1545 Post(s)
Liked: 1645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Buy early, and buy often! The bleeding edge is a great place to be. Everyone should buy a new UHD set every year to support the constantly moving goal posts. The CE makers need our money. Please think of the poor, starving, unable to make a profit multinational corporations! They're counting on us.
Ironically many of those CE companies ARE doing very poorly and some have or will be exiting the TV business. They're not making the money some think they are.
post #693 of 1798 Old 07-30-2014, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Why would he? Everyone has already agreed that pics are worthless, well other than MrOrange's.
We could always just use words and never use any kind of proof at all and just give anyone who tries a bunch of bull until they finally agree with you. But that's stereodude.
post #694 of 1798 Old 07-30-2014, 07:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1545 Post(s)
Liked: 1645
What makes me think this thread has outlived its usefulness?
post #695 of 1798 Old 07-30-2014, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Lol. I may stop soon.
post #696 of 1798 Old 07-30-2014, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrorange303 View Post
Lol. I may stop soon.

I'm not holding my breath.
post #697 of 1798 Old 07-30-2014, 07:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
You read past the first few pages of this thread?
post #698 of 1798 Old 07-30-2014, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abates17 View Post
I'm not holding my breath.
We all wish you would. Would be so much better. I'd give up 4k in a heart beat to see that.
post #699 of 1798 Old 07-30-2014, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 731 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by vddobrev View Post
Very bright and sunny, it is circular shape with windows around. Oposite of the TV there is a glass entrance door, and a window on top of it.
the circular shape of room would almost make me think it would be harder to sit directly in front of the TV...therefore there would seating positions subject to off angle viewing

EVERY LED I have ever seen has color and brightness changes as you move off angle

The best I have ever seen was the Sharp Elite LED...and if watched carefully it was still there

I was looking at a Sony 65" X900 the other day at Best Buy and I moved right and left while watching

honestly...I could have no use for that type of TV unless I could view it from directly in front at all times

I have a TV mounted over my fireplace with multiple seating positions at angles around the room

There is no way I could stand that color and brightness change in my room
I had to go plasma with a good glare filter

Warren
losservatore likes this.

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Marantz 8801 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
post #700 of 1798 Old 07-30-2014, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post
the circular shape of room would almost make me think it would be harder to sit directly in front of the TV...therefore there would seating positions subject to off angle viewing

EVERY LED I have ever seen has color and brightness changes as you move off angle

The best I have ever seen was the Sharp Elite LED...and if watched carefully it was still there

I was looking at a Sony 65" X900 the other day at Best Buy and I moved right and left while watching

honestly...I could have no use for that type of TV unless I could view it from directly in front at all times

I have a TV mounted over my fireplace with multiple seating positions at angles around the room

There is no way I could stand that color and brightness change in my room
I had to go plasma with a good glare filter

Warren
so you got the newer models that are brighter? This were damn good sets. That's why people are buying them like crazy.

The Sony does have a mean glare.

But it's also so bright you have to be way to the side to see it.

F8500 is a beast.

The led sets work for me. Not too bad.
post #701 of 1798 Old 07-30-2014, 08:02 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1844 Post(s)
Liked: 3148
Quote:
Yea, you can make fun as much as you like. Most non standard "architectural" houses with lots of glass are poor for tv watching. Such is my living space and I love it, I like bright and sunny. I made a choice.

If you like dark living space optimized for plasma, this would be your preference.
It's more of a preference for watching movies in a darkened room, and what TVs are best at dealing with that challenging environment. I would not go to a movie theater that leaves the house lights on during the show—dark rooms and movies go together.

Mark Henninger
post #702 of 1798 Old 07-30-2014, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 731 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Very bright and sunny, it is circular shape with windows around. Oposite of the TV there is a glass entrance door, and a window on top of it.
Quote:
so you got the newer models that are brighter? This were damn good sets. That's why people are buying them like crazy.

The Sony does have a mean glare.

But it's also so bright you have to be way to the side to see it.

F8500 is a beast.

The led sets work for me. Not too bad.
the F8500 is in a media room
I have an older C8000 plasma that is above the fireplace. It is just in a room that is open to kitchen and its a casual news/sitcom watching type of deal for that area
There is seating at some wide angles around the fireplace though
hence my reason for saying the angle thing with an LED is a HUGE minus

I came very close to buying a Sharp Elite 60" to replace the Samsung C8000 plasma over the fire place
It had a great picture...but the HUGE plus was that is did nt have that huge off angle color change when I walked back and forth looking at it in the showroom, as any other LED I have watched has

I have been surprised that as technology advances that they have not been able to better address that in LED panels

One would think they could best an LED that was released in 2011...but they haven't

I have older full array led with local dimming in my master bedroom...LG LE8500
Its only watched from head on though

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Marantz 8801 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
post #703 of 1798 Old 07-30-2014, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
It's more of a preference for watching movies in a darkened room, and what TVs are best at dealing with that challenging environment. I would not go to a movie theater that leaves the house lights on during the show—dark rooms and movies go together.
Depends. I mean theaters also use curved screens. Well the good ones. Yet your not about that.

So to me a plasma in the wrong situation doesn't provide a vibrant picture like an LCD led may.

In the same state of mind it is clearly an advantage to plasma to be in a dark room and able to show in all it's glory.

4K uhd is another type of viewing. The content also should be viewed in best conditions. Mostly until FALD uhd sets come out night time viewing can be good and bad.

You can not get plasma blacks on most 4k sets.

Sony is not the same. They get black.

Now you can't get the depth and clarity on plasma. I have only seen this type of depth on 2 manufacturers 4k sets.
Sony and Samsung.

I think LG and Panasonic have issues with the type of depth the other 2 provide. All sets are not the same. For any platform.

With so many variable considerations how can the members possibly ALL have sets and conditions that are better than 4k unless they have actually tried a 4k set in their home?

Yet they sound like they are EXPERTS. YOU I understand. You actually have a 4k set. Not my top 3 But it's decent.

All those others.........yeah. they have never spent any quality time with a uhd set. You know it. And because of the responses I do too.
post #704 of 1798 Old 07-30-2014, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post
the F8500 is in a media room
I have an older C8000 plasma that is above the fireplace. It is just in a room that is open to kitchen and its a casual news/sitcom watching type of deal for that area
There is seating at some wide angles around the fireplace though
hence my reason for saying the angle thing with an LED is a HUGE minus

I came very close to buying a Sharp Elite 60" to replace the Samsung C8000 plasma over the fire place
It had a great picture...but the HUGE plus was that is did nt have that huge off angle color change when I walked back and forth looking at it in the showroom, as any other LED I have watched has

I have been surprised that as technology advances that they have not been able to better address that in LED panels

One would think they could best an LED that was released in 2011...but they haven't

I have older full array led with local dimming in my master bedroom...LG LE8500
Its only watched from head on though

Warren
yeah my set does that still. It's great head on. Even many other side angles. But you can't be moving.

The color and blacks change for sure. I live in CO. Very bright. More yearly sunshine than San Diego.

Very high altitude. So it is not common to find more plasma owners here than LCD.

You see deteriation of the picture pretty early in a sets life.

So in my case uhd was a logical next step.

Still the F8500 looks to be like the KURO. The standard for reviewed for years. Well the VT60. As well. But take care of that puppy.

I think when uhd is more saturated people will look back and feel silly they was so against such an awesome thing.

the debates will be old news and we will all be well into a new era of television.

I have a F8000 and it's still very beautiful. It's in my room and I still love the set.
post #705 of 1798 Old 07-30-2014, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
I think when uhd is more saturated people will look back and feel silly they was so against such an awesome thing.
I think you've managed to miss something, in 20 pages of posts.

EVERY person here is looking forward to 4K hitting it's stride. EVERY person here wants it to succeed.

The only difference is you are satisfied with the state of 4K TODAY. Most others in this thread are not. A couple of years from now, when more of the kinks are worked out, OBVIOUSLY it will be a very different story.

I can't wait for 4K to get a little more established, and suspect I will be GIDDY when my first 4K set goes up on my wall. But TODAY, at TODAY's prices, and KNOWING how much better things are likely to be in just a couple short years? That means that 4K is not ripe yet... for ME.

We're all happy that you're happy with your TV. But that doesn't mean that WE would feel the same way, had we been forced to write the check that you did.
post #706 of 1798 Old 07-30-2014, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post

EVERY person here is looking forward to 4K hitting it's stride. EVERY person here wants it to succeed.

The only difference is you are satisfied with the state of 4K TODAY. Most others in this thread are not. A couple of years from now, when more of the kinks are worked out, OBVIOUSLY it will be a very different story.

I can't wait for 4K to get a little more established, and suspect I will be GIDDY when my first 4K set goes up on my wall. But TODAY, at TODAY's prices, and KNOWING how much better things are likely to be in just a couple short years? That means that 4K is not ripe yet... for ME.

We're all happy that you're happy with your TV. But that doesn't mean that WE would feel the same way, had we been forced to write the check that you did.

in a few years the 4K will be the 720P off yesteryear once 8K comes out.
post #707 of 1798 Old 07-30-2014, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post
Dear god I hope not.

But I highly doubt it.
post #708 of 1798 Old 07-30-2014, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post

Go read how many post in 20 pages are like yours. Please do.

There is But a handful who is actually impartial.

Most took my post very personal. Like I said they were outdated.

I said to them and the turned it around. If you think my 4k set is already outdated and you know 4k is the inevitable future. How is my 4k set more outdated then a 1080p set?

Someone took that and bullied it into I was the aggressive one saying you guys are outdated.

I have only supported your decision for your sets.

It's me defending why it's OK to buy a 4k set now If you want. That's a choice. Not saying it's wrong to buy a plasma or top line led.

It's hard to see what's going on from the back of a crowd with torches and pitch forks.

Last edited by Mrorange303; 07-30-2014 at 10:53 PM.
post #709 of 1798 Old 07-30-2014, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post
But 8k on larger sets is a good thing. TVs sets continue to get larger and as they do the resolution should go up to maintain visual fidelity to the human eye.

It only makes sense.

That's why my 65" 4k set makes sense now.

Its the visual fidelity is maintained from 30 ft back right up to the screen. No pixels.

Imagine at one point an entire wall in your living room will be pixels.

Watch a game from any seat in the stadium at home. A new type of Tv
Where you walk up to the wall and choose your TVs size with your fingers.

Make it 55". 120".
It's like a picture on an iPhone. Pinch to zoom. It will also replace all lamps in your home allowing you to illuminate sections of the wall and it acts like a low lit led light source.

Samsung already has this TV set.

IT is literally real.

Not viable in the near future.

But 8k? I think that is the eventuality of it.

Just as the seed will one day become the oak.
post #710 of 1798 Old 07-30-2014, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Maybe MrOrange can post some pictures of his UHD set displaying this image.
Sorry it was easy to lose this request. Amazing I am doing this again just to be ridiculed and no one to ever return the favor and post shots of comparable scenes. Movies, anything. But here you go. Rip me apart.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	189474  
post #711 of 1798 Old 07-30-2014, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

It is standard camera issues. The pic is clean as can get on my set. The pic is what has the impurities.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	28
Size:	225.9 KB
ID:	189482  
post #712 of 1798 Old 07-30-2014, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

This is a YouTube video I'm capturing.

I'm done. No more pics. No more request.

This is very common viewing on the set. It's what I choose to invest in. I'm sure it's not unique.

But it is consistent.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	32
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	189490  
post #713 of 1798 Old 07-30-2014, 11:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 296
4k reminds me a lot of the new generation of gaming systems that just came out(xbox1)
Fresh new hardware with little to play on it, I can have more fun with my 360 as there is a larger library
I should have waited until it has been out awhile, probably could have bought the system for cheaper and there would be more to play on it
There's no doubt 4k is coming, but there's not a lot of content and we don't know when it will start pouring in, might wait until prices comes down and content goes up
Only difference between the 4k and xbox1 is that 4k is backwards compatible via up-conversion, but that's not true 4k
post #714 of 1798 Old 07-31-2014, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
4k reminds me a lot of the new generation of gaming systems that just came out(xbox1)
Fresh new hardware with little to play on it, I can have more fun with my 360 as there is a larger library
I should have waited until it has been out awhile, probably could have bought the system for cheaper and there would be more to play on it
There's no doubt 4k is coming, but there's not a lot of content and we don't know when it will start pouring in, might wait until prices comes down and content goes up
Only difference between the 4k and xbox1 is that 4k is backwards compatible via up-conversion, but that's not true 4k
The panel does full uhd right now. That won't be different in the future.

Content is scarce. I still love watching my entire collection again. It does seem new.
post #715 of 1798 Old 07-31-2014, 12:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 335
post #716 of 1798 Old 07-31-2014, 01:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 335
^^^^did you notice that your panel have some uniformity issues or is just the picture quality?^^^^

I would like to see some some solid colors on your TV.
post #717 of 1798 Old 07-31-2014, 03:03 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
We all wish you would. Would be so much better. I'd give up 4k in a heart beat to see that.

Classy as always.
post #718 of 1798 Old 07-31-2014, 04:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
That is what I said, its a preference. I don't like watching TV in a dark room, but others may like it.
post #719 of 1798 Old 07-31-2014, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Why was the resolution the test card pic the 4K TV was shot at lower than the resolution the 1080p TV was shot at? The picture of the 1080p test chart on the 4K TV isn't high enough resolution (only 1920x1080 but not taking up anywhere near the full picture frame) to show that the 4K TV actually resolves 1080p never mind 4K, so how are we supposed to know a 4K TV is best for viewing 1080p if the picture doesn't show it resolve 1080p? Also, the number one issue with the pic to me is the amount of picture distortion visible, that 99% of 1080p TVs won't have. So how can a TV with so much picture distortion be better for viewing 1080p than most 1080p TVs (which don't distort the picture so much)?
Stereodude and losservatore like this.

Last edited by Joe Bloggs; 07-31-2014 at 05:27 AM.
post #720 of 1798 Old 07-31-2014, 05:30 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1844 Post(s)
Liked: 3148
Quote:
That is what I said, its a preference. I don't like watching TV in a dark room, but others may like it.
I find that watching TV and watching movies are two different experiences. If the goal is to buy a screen that's optimum for watching TV in a bright room, LED-lit LCD is the way to go.

Mark Henninger
Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
frontpage

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page