Old 08-06-2014, 06:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
Dithering and color depth concern color resolution. They have nothing to do with color space or wide gamut, nor did I ever imply there was any relationship.
Too bad color "resolution" has nothing to do with the extra potential spatial resolution offered by current UHD TVs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2014, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahb75 View Post
However, (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) it is my understanding that to utilize Dolby Vision, the program material has to have been processed with that system. That requirement could basically render
Dolby Vision into being pretty useless for folks like me whose film collections are heavily weighted toward releases from the 70s, 80s, and 90s. I seriously doubt that Hollywood would expend the resources to reprocess more than a few of these films in Dolby Vision. Yet, a UHD OLED would not only upconvert the 360+ Blu-rays already in our collection, but also provide a better black level and superior color saturation,
without the need to duplicate movies in this collection by having to buy expensive Dolby Vision reprocessed versions. (if the studios would even choose to make such versions available)
Never underestimate a studio's willingness to doubledip yet again, making still more money off a back catalog that is pure profit, by spending a minimal amount of money to reencode their films to a new standard and sell them to you yet again.

As with Blu Ray, only the most popular back catalog films will actually be remastered using newer tech. The rest will be upconverted as cheaply as possible, once the more popular titles are already converted. Same process by which you see B movies from the early 80s on blu ray, in the rack by the cash register for under $10. I guarantee you those weren't remastered from the originals and digitally cleaned up like they do for the better-selling titles that they charge new release prices for.

So yes, you're quite sure to end up buying that John Hughes box set YET AGAIN someday, so you can get the 4K DolbyVision version, so it can rest of your shelf next to the VHS, DVD and Blu-ray versions.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 124
@Stereodude

i tried it already but for them 4 pixel on a UHD screen are a new super pixel that is worth 10 bit. don't forget with SD these are 12 bit ultra pixel!
the theory is very simple. you have now 4 pixel in 8 bit that show 1 pixel so they can now be a little bit different to give 4 times more pixel states.
but if you resize you get float point informations for every pixel because you need a lot more bit deep to show a resized pixel with as little error as possible. so a resized picture needs more bit deep then the original picture counts for down scaling too.
now let's take a step back and feed 10 bit 1080p in a UHD screen.
if this gets up scaled by point resize and this gets dithered on a 4 pixel 8 bit basic then we may use the super pixel idea. a lot of "if" and a different source and still not as good as true 10 bit (no dither needed).

UHD has more pixel to spread the dither error but on the other hand it needs to spread more error. not a easy topic... and who said that they even dither and how good is the dithering? can be totally different from screen to screen.

@GregLee
Quote:
At least, that is my inexpert idea of what goes on. It's not a 2k picture with 8 bit color -- it's a 4k picture with 8 bit color. If the resolution were reduced to 2k, that 2 bits of color information would be lost. If the original content were 2k at 8 bit color depth, the extra 2 bits per pixel of color information wouldn't be there at all.
so each time we down scale by factor 2 and lose 3/4 of all pxel we lose 2 bit of color information? we try to put 96 bit of color information (24 per channel) in 24 bit (8 per channel). it is just me or did we lose more than 2 bit per pixel?
Old 08-06-2014, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Uh, what?

The color space defines the amount of color information that can be conveyed. The resolution of the image has nothing to do with the color space. There currently is no consumer UHD spec or format that uses a wider color space than Rec.709. Bit depth also has no bearing on the color space. ...
This has no bearing on anything I said.

Greg Lee
Old 08-06-2014, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked: 296
whats stopping them from producing 8k or 16k now? It seems like they would have the upscaling technology and I dont expect a plethora of 4k content, so 80% of the content will be upscaled
Old 08-06-2014, 08:01 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1826 Post(s)
Liked: 3136
Quote:
It's so difficult to be clear. The extra colors are there in a 4K signal (I'm assuming), and the color information is carried by the extra pixels. That is, a video camera which can sense 10-bit color information uses dithering over the 4X as many pixels to, in effect, move the color information into local pixel areas by dithering, so that the color depth per pixel can be reduced to 8 bits. At least, that is my inexpert idea of what goes on. It's not a 2k picture with 8 bit color -- it's a 4k picture with 8 bit color. If the resolution were reduced to 2k, that 2 bits of color information would be lost. If the original content were 2k at 8 bit color depth, the extra 2 bits per pixel of color information wouldn't be there at all.
My suggestion is that you read up on Bayer filters and chroma subsampling.

Mark Henninger
Old 08-06-2014, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyhuhn View Post
@GregLee
so each time we down scale by factor 2 and lose 3/4 of all pxel we lose 2 bit of color information? we try to put 96 bit of color information (24 per channel) in 24 bit (8 per channel). it is just me or did we lose more than 2 bit per pixel?
I can't follow your example, but I did not intend to state any general rule about the relationship of color depth and resolution. I stated a relationship relative to a single pixel area at 2k just because that was convenient for the comparison of 2k and 4k, both at 8 bit color depth, which is what I was interested in.

Greg Lee
Old 08-06-2014, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
My suggestion is that you read up on Bayer filters and chroma subsampling.
to bad they don't have the chroma position in it too.
ok they have this:
  • In MPEG-2, Cb and Cr are cosited horizontally. Cb and Cr are sited between pixels in the vertical direction (sited interstitially).
but here http://www.mir.com/DMG/chroma.html

BD uses mpeg2 chroma position. makes things even more complicated.
still missing YCbCr -> RGB but that's just a lot of float point Math
Old 08-06-2014, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 812 Post(s)
Liked: 221
I own a 4k curved 65" beastly TV.

The details that look better to me are over all smoothness to lines and reduction of Pixelation in every movie I have watched on the set.

In addition clothing shows textures I am unable to see on my f8000 55" led.

Something like Pacific rim, or cat n the hat with Mike Meyers are just brutally beautiful.

Again 3d is something to be hold.

I enjoy watching every movie again. The all look better than I've ever seen.

The only other TV I would want is the f8500.

For me long story short the UHD was a better option.

The 4k sets are now very comparable in price and I encourage anyone who is in the market to view one in person for yourself.

Either way it's a super 1080p TV. Or a step above as it can view 4k content.

If your not buying the f8500 then what's the point.

Get a 4k.

If you prefer led LCD over plasma or just feel it's not a good fit for your viewing needs then I highly encourage you to look at a 4k set.

Again if your a 3d lover or just want the best damn 3d ever IMO then you want 4k.

These are my reasons and observations after 60 days with a 4k top line set.

Get one.
Ken Ross likes this.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

@Mrorange303

so UHD is better because you compared a 1.2k euro FHD screen with a 4k euro UHD both without calibration?

don't you think that's a little bit unprofessional to say it friendly?

i would call that a terrible TV if a newer 4k euro screen can't beat a 1.2 k euro screen...
Old 08-06-2014, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyhuhn View Post
@Mrorange303

so UHD is better because you compared a 1.2k euro FHD screen with a 4k euro UHD both without calibration?

don't you think that's a little bit unprofessional to say it friendly?

i would call that a terrible TV if a newer 4k euro screen can't beat a 1.2 k euro screen...
I don't think you have the right to impose your opinion on anyone.

Your opinion doesn't over ride my own on my set with my eyes.

People don't need the opinion sheriff trolling every comment pro 4k.

We get it.

Mightyhuhn hates 4k.....

Now maybe if you don't mind. You do you. I'll do me.

Let these people formulate their own opinion.

You can't tell me my opinion. It's ridiculous you keep trying to do it. Get over yourself.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:33 PM
Advanced Member

that's your answer to that. ok i see.

so it is totally fine when you say like AX800 is tier 2 as a fact (you used that word a lot).
now you talk about opinions? by the way you are the person that doesn't let people have an opinion on this topic with your facts.
so know when i put your comparison in question you can only defend it with that's my opinion?

so let's put it together:
for mrornage a 4k euro UHD is better as a 1.2 k euro FHD.

thanks for your discovery
Old 08-06-2014, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

tier
ti(ə)r/

a level or grade within the hierarchy of an organization or system.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrorange303 View Post
I asked if you knew the algorithms used by any manufacterer to handle any of the floating points with additional pixels and you said it's not fixable.
did i? and did you ask me. do you now what you talking about "of the floating points" so i mean this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floating_point
Quote:
It's impossible to get a good picture from a 4k set because you said so.
i said that?

Quote:
See why I don't care. You should. You don't even have a clue what I mean when I say tier.
that's true with AX802 i can't follow you so yes i lied a top sorry.

Last edited by mightyhuhn; 08-06-2014 at 10:36 PM. Reason: fixed quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 572
Quote:
I own a 4k curved 65" beastly TV.

The details that look better to me are over all smoothness to lines and reduction of Pixelation in every movie I have watched on the set.

In addition clothing shows textures I am unable to see on my f8000 55" led.

Something like Pacific rim, or cat n the hat with Mike Meyers are just brutally beautiful.

Again 3d is something to be hold.

I enjoy watching every movie again. The all look better than I've ever seen.

The only other TV I would want is the f8500.

For me long story short the UHD was a better option.

The 4k sets are now very comparable in price and I encourage anyone who is in the market to view one in person for yourself.

Either way it's a super 1080p TV. Or a step above as it can view 4k content.

If your not buying the f8500 then what's the point.

Get a 4k.

If you prefer led LCD over plasma or just feel it's not a good fit for your viewing needs then I highly encourage you to look at a 4k set.

Again if your a 3d lover or just want the best damn 3d ever IMO then you want 4k.

These are my reasons and observations after 60 days with a 4k top line set.

Get one.
This is the most sensible thing you've said in this thread.

And I actually agree with this. If you're in the market for a new tv right now and plasma doesn't fit the bill you should definitely consider a 4k tv and decide for yourself if the extra resolution is a good value for your needs and budget. Nuff said.
imagic and bobby2478 like this.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Uh, what?

The color space defines the amount of color information that can be conveyed. The resolution of the image has nothing to do with the color space. There currently is no consumer UHD spec or format that uses a wider color space than Rec.709. Bit depth also has no bearing on the color space. It defines the number of shades you can get between black and full color. 10-bit color can give you smoother gradations. However, again there is no consumer UHD spec or format that uses more than 8-bit color. So, at this time UHD has no advantage over HD in color space or bit depth.

A new UHD format could be defined with 10-bit color and a wider color space, but the UHD sets you're buying today won't support it any more than the HD sets you buy today.
I agree 100%. There is no current standard in use that carries more color bit depth for UHD. There are digital cinema standards that do but these are not UHD. UHD will use standard REC 709 for its debut this fall.

The idea presented in previous posts is wrought with technical errors.
imagic and bakerwi like this.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

Old 08-06-2014, 11:25 PM
Advanced Member

even if there is no 10 bit source.
native 10 bit helps to reduce noise without changing the creators intend.
never forget we can't display the 8 bit input as it is!
Old 08-06-2014, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Spent a whole day in the showroom of a high end AV dealer. Without genuine 4K content, the new UHDTVs are just glorified 1080p TVs. PERIOD. There is a whole lot of wishful thinking going on about the benefits of UHDTVs when it comes to 1080p upscaling.

Now OLED is another story... Even 1080p OLED looks fantastic.
Is this the VE showroom you speak of?
Old 08-07-2014, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
But in what sounds like a more scientifically controlled British experiment, 48 out of 49 successfully picked the UHD TV.

As I said, one side will not convince the other.

See the merit in 4K? Buy. Don't see the merit? Keep your HDTV. Easy business. I'm really not sure what more can be added to this thread.

+1. This thread has out lived its useful life.

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

Old 08-07-2014, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
No sir I won't support members who clearly use false information. Read sages entry. Then read how Greg Lee politely for the 5th time corrected his statement AGAIN.

Yet for a buyer to get fair and accurate information I have to be a bad guy by pointing out that the 4k benefits are consistently dismissed by the non 4k members.

If you want honesty be honest. Have integrity.

Don't make huge response as to why 4k is the wrong choice now.

Only to follow it up with whoops I missed that part.

I'm not mean. I'm simply pointing out what's going on in here.

I have not been rude. The information is not accurate and potential buyers should know.

It's their right not to read the inaccurate and misleading information given against 4k sets.
It is nice to be an enthusiastic owner and I respect that, but what are the verifiable Pros and Cons of 4K?
bobby2478 likes this.

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

Old 08-07-2014, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
But in what sounds like a more scientifically controlled British experiment, 48 out of 49 successfully picked the UHD TV.

As I said, one side will not convince the other.

See the merit in 4K? Buy. Don't see the merit? Keep your HDTV. Easy business. I'm really not sure what more can be added to this thread.
I don't think it's as simple as that. It's also when would it be best for a person buy 4K/UHD if it's something they want.

1) Now, when there's practically zero 4K/UHD content to watch on it and the only thing changed is number of pixels and not the other things they're very likely to change soon, or
2) later when there will be better 4K/UHD (higher frame rates, higher dynamic range, better colour etc.) and/or more/a lot more UHD content to watch on it, and where you will get a better UHD TV for the price/or a similar UHDTV for cheaper, or
3) Buy now and also when the better 4K/UHD and content is out and spend a lot more and get a lot less value out of your purchase of the current 4K/UHD TV.

Last edited by Joe Bloggs; 08-07-2014 at 05:59 AM.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:48 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Blu-ray upscaled to 4k via BDP-105?

I've looked through this entire thread and can't find any comments at all about what a high-quality Blu-ray might look like upscaled via an Oppo BDP-105 and viewed on a 4k TV.

I have a friend that says the picture quality is 'great' in his opinion, but can't define what he means by 'great'. He's using a new Samsung UN55HU8550 55-Inch 4k TV. Anybody looked at this via an Oppo BDP-105 and a 4k TV, who can describe what picture quality improvements can be realized via such a configuration?

I have a BDP-105 and am considering upgrading my older Samsung 40-inch to a 55-inch to better support my actual viewing distance.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
This has no bearing on anything I said.
It has everything to do with what you're claiming. The fact that you think it doesn't shows just how little you understand the topic you're attempting to soapbox the rest of us over.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post
+1. This thread has out lived its useful life.
I'm not so sure about that. The more people who read it, the more people who will discover the ignore feature of the forum.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:16 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1826 Post(s)
Liked: 3136
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Is this the VE showroom you speak of?
Actually no. I was at World Wide Stereo in Montgomeryville, PA. Those guys are seriously quality obsessed; they are the ones who hooked me up with Keith Yates, who works with them on the high-end stuff (private IMAX and all that).

Mark Henninger
Old 08-07-2014, 08:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1522 Post(s)
Liked: 1631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post
I agree 100%. There is no current standard in use that carries more color bit depth for UHD. There are digital cinema standards that do but these are not UHD. UHD will use standard REC 709 for its debut this fall.

The idea presented in previous posts is wrought with technical errors.
Glimmie, what are you referencing when you say 'debut this fall'? Is that Directv's upcoming 4K?
Old 08-07-2014, 08:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1522 Post(s)
Liked: 1631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bloggs View Post
I don't think it's as simple as that. It's also when would it be best for a person buy 4K/UHD if it's something they want.

1) Now, when there's practically zero 4K/UHD content to watch on it and the only thing changed is number of pixels and not the other things they're very likely to change soon, or
2) later when there will be better 4K/UHD (higher frame rates, higher dynamic range, better colour etc.) and/or more/a lot more UHD content to watch on it, and where you will get a better UHD TV for the price/or a similar UHDTV for cheaper, or
3) Buy now and also when the better 4K/UHD and content is out and spend a lot more and get a lot less value out of your purchase of the current 4K/UHD TV.
"1" operates under the assumption that you can't/don't produce your own 4K content. The Camcorder section of AVS has many 4K camera owners. For them, your '1' is not valid.

I'm not saying this is a common scenario, but it does exist. I'm also not sure how 'soon' the other aspects of 4K are likely to change. It could be a long wait for all of the potential elements to fall in to place. If you're OK with waiting, great, but some are fine making the jump now.

And guess what? There's nothing wrong with either approach.
bakerwi likes this.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodpaine View Post
I've looked through this entire thread and can't find any comments at all about what a high-quality Blu-ray might look like upscaled via an Oppo BDP-105 and viewed on a 4k TV.

I have a friend that says the picture quality is 'great' in his opinion, but can't define what he means by 'great'. He's using a new Samsung UN55HU8550 55-Inch 4k TV. Anybody looked at this via an Oppo BDP-105 and a 4k TV, who can describe what picture quality improvements can be realized via such a configuration?

I have a BDP-105 and am considering upgrading my older Samsung 40-inch to a 55-inch to better support my actual viewing distance.
If you haven't already, you might try the Oppo thread in the BD player forum.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
Old 08-07-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

The 4k sets do everything the 1080p sets can do. Fact.
The 1080p sets can't do everything the 4k sets can do. Fact.

Prices are very close now.

Cons of 4k? A slightly higher price for a 4k set.

That's it.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The 4k sets do everything the 1080p sets can do. Fact.
That is not a fact. 4K sets are LCD-LED and have inferior black levels and viewing angles to available 2K sets.

Greg Lee

Tags
frontpage