UHD/4K Quandary: To Buy or Not to Buy - Page 45 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 541Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1321 of 1808 Old 08-11-2014, 12:57 PM
Member
 
sarahb75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Talking A Quick Correction To My Last Post

At the end of my last post I stated that I could barely see the pixels of a 55-inch 1080p display at 5.5 to 6 feet. I gave that range because it's hard to tell exactly when they disappear.

BUT, the real goof I made, in my hurry to finish the post, was to take the distance measurement, by just stretching the
measuring tape from the screen of my friend's 55-inch TV to the front edge of the couch I was sitting on. When we went back and closely measured the actual distance from the screen to my eyes, with the way I sit on this steep backed couch, with my head resting on the back of it, we came up with a distance of 7 feet 1 inch, where pixels seemed to have just become impossible to see.
sarahb75 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1322 of 1808 Old 08-11-2014, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
losservatore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,319
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 336
UHD is great as a computer monitor it does really impress me when my eyes are right in front of those pixels but once I back up step by step ,well try that for your self and you will see.


I always see BB costumers standing really close to a UHD , I mean too close and saying (wow that's impressive ),but is a distance that doesn't make any sense to place a sofa.

Last edited by losservatore; 08-11-2014 at 01:36 PM.
losservatore is online now  
post #1323 of 1808 Old 08-11-2014, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jogiba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,046
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Best Buy To Launch $3,499 LG OLED TV

Quote:
A little over a year after launching the first curved-screen 55-inch OLED TV through a limited number of Best Buy locations at a $14,999 introductory price, LG Electronics is using the big box chain and other regional CE chains to launch a second generation version ringing in at an astounding $3,499. This time, LG and Best Buy said the 55-inch curved-screen FullHD LG OLED TV, model 55EC9300, will be available through over 1,000 Best Buy locations starting August 24th, along with other leading regional chains and A/V dealers.
http://www.twice.com/news/tv/best-bu...-oled-tv/49822

I think UHD and OLED prices will drop like a rock in the next few months and OLED UHD TVs will be in big demand from people who want the best display.
jogiba is offline  
post #1324 of 1808 Old 08-11-2014, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mrorange303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,760
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
UHD is great as a computer monitor it does really impress me when my eyes are right in front of those pixels but once I back up step by step ,well try that for your self.
Nice. What 4k montior do you own? Or 4k set?

I never thought you would buy 4k anything. Since you believe its impossible to see 4k detail unless your face is pressed against the screen.
Mrorange303 is online now  
post #1325 of 1808 Old 08-11-2014, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brighton, MI
Posts: 2,555
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post
Often LCd folks become very negative about Plasma because they were insulted by a Plasma owner who told them in a crude way that LCd tech sucks. Happens a lot here on AVS..

Apart from those there are only a few LCd owners that are very negative about Plasma.
It is a bit late for that since Plasma is death (and because of that lots of Plasma owners are switching to LCd).

Like i said there is no need for fixing anything. Decent TV, pro-calibration, decent source, propper viewing distance, propper light conditions.

I tried it all. Motion Interpolation, Black Frame Insertion, turning all motion smoothing off, a few months this a few months that. Did You? Turning it all off works fine AFAIK
No it doesn't. Turning it all off drops your moving resolution to around 300 lines (the LCD standard). To my eyes this is all but unwatchable for fast action material such as sports or video games. Maybe you don't notice it or, more likely, you've just become accustomed to it but that doesn't mean it "works fine". The only argument I need is the millions of dollars the LCD manufacturers have spent on R&D to try and solve the issue as proof that the issue exists.

Also, the decision by samsung and panasonic to not sell plasma has no bearing on it's relevance for current owners. My friend owns a lotus Elise, possibly the best 'pure' sports car on the planet. Lotus isn't sold here any longer-- does that mean he has to sell his car and buy an alpha 4c? Do you feel sorry for the owner of the Elise or sorry for the new buyer that doesn't get the option to experience the Elise?
sage11x is offline  
post #1326 of 1808 Old 08-11-2014, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mrorange303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,760
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahb75 View Post
At the end of my last post I stated that I could barely see the pixels of a 55-inch 1080p display at 5.5 to 6 feet. I gave that range because it's hard to tell exactly when they disappear.

BUT, the real goof I made, in my hurry to finish the post, was to take the distance measurement, by just stretching the
measuring tape from the screen of my friend's 55-inch TV to the front edge of the couch I was sitting on. When we went back and closely measured the actual distance from the screen to my eyes, with the way I sit on this steep backed couch, with my head resting on the back of it, we came up with a distance of 7 feet 1 inch, where pixels seemed to have just become impossible to see.
You also keep thinking the argument was about pixels. It was could the 4k screen be identified compred to a 1080p screen from 9"
Never once did i say the tests was about pixels from 9'.

They article even says they cant determine the reason so many peolle could tell because they didnt ask that info.but to them images appeared slightly sharper.

I said i csn see the pixels. Thats true. I can pixels on my 1080p set from 9'.

Its not impossible. 10 to 11 maybe not unless its a heavy scene of pixalation.

But i never talked about that.

The test is simply could they tell the 4k 55" screen from 9'.

So yeah.
Mrorange303 is online now  
post #1327 of 1808 Old 08-11-2014, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mrorange303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,760
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
No it doesn't. Turning it all off drops your moving resolution to around 300 lines (the LCD standard). To my eyes this is all but unwatchable for fast action material such as sports or video games. Maybe you don't notice it or, more likely, you've just become accustomed to it but that doesn't mean it "works fine". The only argument I need is the millions of dollars the LCD manufacturers have spent on R&D to try and solve the issue as proof that the issue exists.

Also, the decision by samsung and panasonic to not sell plasma has no bearing on it's relevance for current owners. My friend owns a lotus Elise, possibly the best 'pure' sports car on the planet. Lotus isn't sold here any longer-- does that mean he has to sell his car and buy an alpha 4c? Do you feel sorry for the owner of the Elise or sorry for the new buyer that doesn't get the option to experience the Elise?
I disagree. I think the fact that plasma is no longer supported is a major factor when buying a tv today.

For many people.
Mrorange303 is online now  
post #1328 of 1808 Old 08-11-2014, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
losservatore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,319
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 336
I'm giving my opinion please stop quoting me for every post is just annoying.
losservatore is online now  
post #1329 of 1808 Old 08-11-2014, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mrorange303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,760
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
UHD is great as a computer monitor it does really impress me when my eyes are right in front of those pixels but once I back up step by step ,well try that for your self and you will see.
Just sounded to me like you have a 4k monitor.

Which would of given way more credit when you keep posting about your 4k expiriences.

Seems misleading to the thread topic. Thats all.
Mrorange303 is online now  
post #1330 of 1808 Old 08-11-2014, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brighton, MI
Posts: 2,555
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrorange303 View Post
I disagree. I think the fact that plasma is no longer supported is a major factor when buying a tv today.

For many people.
Of course it is if you can't buy one! Lol!

There are still a few decent budget models from LG and Samsung and, of course, there is still stock available of the mighty F8500. But choice is slim compared to what is available in LCD (to say the least). Still, I feel sorry for todays shopper-- at one time I remember trying to decide between LCD flat screen, LCD RPTV, plasma, DLP or even CRT RPTV! Somehow we have all these members celebrating less choice in the marketplace like that has ever benefited the consumer. Whatever, I'm not shopping so why do I care? Lol! Wake me up when OLED is affordable and they've sorted out the longevity and motion issues.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
sage11x is offline  
post #1331 of 1808 Old 08-11-2014, 01:57 PM
Member
 
sarahb75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Smile Correcting GregLee's Misunderstanding Of My Post

Hi, Greg. I specifically DID NOT say that one must be able to see the pixels of a UHD 4k display to appreciate the advantage of 4k.

If you'll kindly go back and reread that post, you'll see that I stated that if you cannot see the pixels of a 1080p display at a certain distance, then a same size 4k display, at that same distance, will give you no advantage, because the small details of a 4k display that make it superior to 1080p, are even smaller than the 1080p pixels that you can't even see. And please understand Greg, when I watch 1080p programs or movies I'm not looking to see the display's pixels. I sit past the point where they are visible, so that a smooth, coherent picture results.

You know what I originally said is certainly not rocket science, but is based on solid logic. You're a smart guy Greg, so you must have just quickly skimmed through my post and that's why you misconstrued what I said. That happens to most of us, I guess. I often get a wrong, or even an opposite impression, when I speed read through an article or an editorial, and then I'm really surprised when giving it a second look.

Anyhow, you have yourself a great day. (Hopefully better than the rain we've got here)
sarahb75 is offline  
post #1332 of 1808 Old 08-11-2014, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
GregLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waimanalo HI
Posts: 3,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahb75 View Post
If you'll kindly go back and reread that post, you'll see that I stated that if you cannot see the pixels of a 1080p display at a certain distance, then a same size 4k display, at that same distance, will give you no advantage, because the small details of a 4k display that make it superior to 1080p, are even smaller than the 1080p pixels that you can't even see.
No, it is not based on "solid logic". It's based on a logical error, which is apparent in what I've just quoted. You say the 4k display "will give you no advantage" because of the small size of the 4k pixels, or the smallness of the details they can display. See if you can explain, slowly and carefully, why the fact that small details are not visible implies there is "no advantage". (I've argued in other postings that, actually, 64 times as many colors can be shown in 4k, which is obviously "an advantage", though it has nothing to do with the display of detail.)

Maybe you mean that at a distance from which small details are not visible on a 4k display, we cannot see those small details. Now, that is logical, though also of course trivial. Assuming you can't see the details, then you can't see the details.

Greg Lee
GregLee is offline  
post #1333 of 1808 Old 08-11-2014, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
Z-Mad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 660
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrorange303 View Post
Let me get this right. Now your posting an article from not sony or thx. It's from cr.

Ok. That says you need to be 2 feet from a 4k screen to tell the difference.

THATS ALMOST AS DUMB AS THE PICTURES LOSSERTORIE IS POSTING!!
See I can do caps too.

But it's legitimate. Ok so since you just now found this let me point again to why they conducted the original test in question.


You literally just copied a post from pages ago.

"US publications CNet and Consumer Reports. The Richer Sounds event is inspired by these precedents,******** with a slight twist thrown into the mix to let the public see for themselves if 4K Ultra HD resolution leads to any visible improvement in picture quality.******"

So the 50 people test was in response to your article.

Thanks but I'll take my test with masking of the set and high quality computer feed any day.

The best part? 50 real people who didn't care what you and I think. They just seen 2 sets from 9 feet away. They told like it was.

Your gonna have to learn to live with that.

I'm done with you. Stop copying old post. If you don't want to take the time to read then don't get into the conversation like you have.

Rediculious.
LOL, you are being clearly ridiculous and childish at best... You are not making any sense at all anymore, lol.
Adding additional links and test results still leads only to you making childish arguments and ignoring every other fact. Observations of other people than you, pictures and evidence that support exactly how fine the detail difference is and well exhibits how close one would need to get to see that level of detail, etc., all ignored and countered with an anecdotal test that offers no data or info on any of these details and was clearly an anecdotal test at best. You are clearly not familiar with science, testing procedures, etc., which is why you'll take that amateur test any time over every other fact and professionally done test/review, but you are forgetting and ignoring that there are people in this forum who are a lot more intimately involved with TV testing, calibration, etc.
Your dismissiveness and disrespect of well recognized and reputable names in TV industry alone (like everyone but the 50 random mall people) just shows the level of your ignorance that is not deserving any further attention in this forum. You can't let it go but get the last word, but this is something you'll have to live with: your word counts for nothing to any true enthusiast or educated person in the world of TV's and imaging science, let alone to people who have tested this themselves and seen results with their own eyes... There are people out there who don't have much knowledge and understanding of the imaging science (and that's ok, no bad reflection on anyone who's not a pro; I calibrate TV's and have educated myself a lot on the subject, but I can always learn more too), but most of those people know to recognize where they lack expertise (including myself) and seek good advice from those who have more knowledge, education, and experience to offer on the subject. That's one great thing about the AVS forum - clearly not for you... (you should probably start a Mrorange forum someplace that accepts only Mrorange's opinion without acknowledging any other facts, and where any science or expertise are not allowed).

I can live without convincing you of anything (which is impossible probably on any subject or any situation) - I truly don't care what ignorant people of this world think or believe, but you'll have to live with the fact that your opinion counts for noting to me and enthusiast who have a lot more understanding of things one can't possibly describe or explain to you... Definitely the last answer I'll ever post to any of your comments - you can be as much of a child as you want, no point of any further comment on anything you say... Enjoy your ignorance, which is so high that it only goes to discredit everything you say at this point, making it difficult to even give you any benefit of the doubt anymore...
Z-Mad is online now  
post #1334 of 1808 Old 08-11-2014, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
Z-Mad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 660
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahb75 View Post
At the end of my last post I stated that I could barely see the pixels of a 55-inch 1080p display at 5.5 to 6 feet. I gave that range because it's hard to tell exactly when they disappear.

BUT, the real goof I made, in my hurry to finish the post, was to take the distance measurement, by just stretching the
measuring tape from the screen of my friend's 55-inch TV to the front edge of the couch I was sitting on. When we went back and closely measured the actual distance from the screen to my eyes, with the way I sit on this steep backed couch, with my head resting on the back of it, we came up with a distance of 7 feet 1 inch, where pixels seemed to have just become impossible to see.
Your observation seems similar to what I have seen too - I had to step away a couple of feet more, but it was in front of a 65" screen...
You may have a hard time getting your experience acknowledged by some here, who seem to know better what you have seen with your own eyes than yourself, lol

Anyway, thanks for sharing...
Z-Mad is online now  
post #1335 of 1808 Old 08-11-2014, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mrorange303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,760
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Mad View Post
LOL, you are being clearly ridiculous and childish at best... You are not making any sense at all anymore, lol.
Adding additional links and test results still leads only to you making childish arguments and ignoring every other fact. Observations of other people than you, pictures and evidence that support exactly how fine the detail difference is and well exhibits how close one would need to get to see that level of detail, etc., all ignored and countered with an anecdotal test that offers no data or info on any of these details and was clearly an anecdotal test at best. You are clearly not familiar with science, testing procedures, etc., which is why you'll take that amateur test any time over every other fact and professionally done test/review, but you are forgetting and ignoring that there are people in this forum who are a lot more intimately involved with TV testing, calibration, etc.
Your dismissiveness and disrespect of well recognized and reputable names in TV industry alone (like everyone but the 50 random mall people) just shows the level of your ignorance that is not deserving any further attention in this forum. You can't let it go but get the last word, but this is something you'll have to live with: your word counts for nothing to any true enthusiast or educated person in the world of TV's and imaging science, let alone to people who have tested this themselves and seen results with their own eyes... There are people out there who don't have much knowledge and understanding of the imaging science (and that's ok, no bad reflection on anyone who's not a pro; I calibrate TV's and have educated myself a lot on the subject, but I can always learn more too), but most of those people know to recognize where they lack expertise (including myself) and seek good advice from those who have more knowledge, education, and experience to offer on the subject. That's one great thing about the AVS forum - clearly not for you... (you should probably start a Mrorange forum someplace that accepts only Mrorange's opinion without acknowledging any other facts, and where any science or expertise are not allowed).

I can live without convincing you of anything (which is impossible probably on any subject or any situation) - I truly don't care what ignorant people of this world think or believe, but you'll have to live with the fact that your opinion counts for noting to me and enthusiast who have a lot more understanding of things one can't possibly describe or explain to you... Definitely the last answer I'll ever post to any of your comments - you can be as much of a child as you want, no point of any further comment on anything you say... Enjoy your ignorance, which is so high that it only goes to discredit everything you say at this point, making it difficult to even give you any benefit of the doubt anymore...
Actually I'm sure im right. You dont read and respond.

Nice rant about education though.

"Your dismissiveness and disrespect of well recognized and reputable names in TV industry alone"

I work on evidence. Names are titles for humans. Humans have flaw. We all do.

"You are clearly not familiar with science, testing procedures, etc."

It is you who does not understand science.

Also doesnt read.
Mrorange303 is online now  
post #1336 of 1808 Old 08-11-2014, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mrorange303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,760
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Of course it is if you can't buy one! Lol!

There are still a few decent budget models from LG and Samsung and, of course, there is still stock available of the mighty F8500. But choice is slim compared to what is available in LCD (to say the least). Still, I feel sorry for todays shopper-- at one time I remember trying to decide between LCD flat screen, LCD RPTV, plasma, DLP or even CRT RPTV! Somehow we have all these members celebrating less choice in the marketplace like that has ever benefited the consumer. Whatever, I'm not shopping so why do I care? Lol! Wake me up when OLED is affordable and they've sorted out the longevity and motion issues.
Id be happy with a f8500. But those days are coming to an end.

I just jumped in a little early thats all.

But the waters fine.
Mrorange303 is online now  
post #1337 of 1808 Old 08-11-2014, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
8mile13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,206
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
No it doesn't. Turning it all off drops your moving resolution to around 300 lines (the LCD standard).
300/400 lines moving resolution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saga11x
Maybe you don't notice it or, more likely, you've just become accustomed to it but that doesn't mean it "works fine".
I do not really see a problem here. Many reviewers, including Katzmeier will tell you to turn all motion smoothing off. They will tell you that the LCd motion is good enough that way..

Shure 300/400 lines is not 1080 lines.. In this C|NET article one guy felt that the Pioneer 5020HD had 900 lines, another guy was pretty shure it were 1200 lines. So there is a 300 lines discrepancy here. And that is when you are counting lines. What does that tell you about motion resolution when you are not counting lines, just watching TV? With all kind of stuff masking the picture (dark room, viewing distance, pro-calibration)? 400, 500, 600? + 300/400 In the end, in real world viewing condition it is not that big of a deal. Shure, you can clearly see that PDP has better motion resolution than LCd. Good for you

ttp://www.cnet.com/news/counting-blurry-lines-should-cnet-test-for-motion-resolution-on-hdtvs/
8mile13 is offline  
post #1338 of 1808 Old 08-11-2014, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
losservatore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,319
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Sir you just don't get it ,nobody hates 4k the problem is that uhd and hd side by side at a normal seating distance is nothing impressive. Our eyes start to lost focus every time we move and move back from the display.




I was at best buy today and people just stare at uhd at a distance that nobody seat.
losservatore is online now  
post #1339 of 1808 Old 08-11-2014, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
mightyhuhn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 745
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 125
2008 wow thanks for this.
mightyhuhn is offline  
post #1340 of 1808 Old 08-11-2014, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
vddobrev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 812
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 39
This thread is not about plasma vs lcd. All plasma fans, should read the thread subject again and again.

Now having said that I am sick and tired of people telling me that I cannot see the diff between my 1080p and UHD lcd set.

Who are you, and what gives you the right to have an opinion, without owning a 4k set, to tell me what I see with my own eyes? Or better yet what I should not be able to see by bringing up some charts?

Wtf is wrong with you people? If you have a plasma and are perfectly happy, why bother posting against an UHD lcd?

I have been away a few days, enjoying my TV and what do I find this thread is thru the roof with so much BS it is unbelievable.

But guess what, I have been enjoying my TV during this time, while you were posting BS, get a life.

@imagic and others who are so easily disqualifying the test done by hdtvtest uk - what on earth makes you more credible than a reputable UK reviewer? I will be happy when you report of a more scientific test to your standards.

@imagic - I am eagerly awaiting your review of the Panasonic UHD you have, just curious to see what you come up with, because that TV came at the bottom of the 2014 UHD TVs when I was buying, especially in upscaling it was the worst.

In addition, conspiring that the largest online tv reviewer in the UK is publishing inacurate information with a fake test is simply wrong, and one can be led to believe that there is more going on between hdtvtest uk and certain members of AVS, especially ones that are ISF certified senior writers.

Last edited by vddobrev; 08-11-2014 at 04:50 PM.
vddobrev is offline  
post #1341 of 1808 Old 08-11-2014, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
vddobrev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 812
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
Sir you just don't get it ,nobody hates 4k the problem is that uhd and hd side by side at a normal seating distance is nothing impressive. Our eyes start to lost focus every time we move and move back from the display.




I was at best buy today and people just stare at uhd at a distance that nobody seat.
And you have how many UHD sets? Can you speak for yourself in singular please!
vddobrev is offline  
post #1342 of 1808 Old 08-11-2014, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
mightyhuhn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 745
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by vddobrev View Post
This thread is not about plasma vs lcd. All plasma fans, should read the thread subject again and again.

Now having said that I am sick and tired of people telling me that I cannot see the diff between my 1080p and UHD lcd set.

Who are you, and what gives you the right to have an opinion, without owning a 4k set, to tell me what I see with my own eyes? Or better yet what I should not be able to see by bringing up some charts?

Wtf is wrong with you people? If you have a plasma and are perfectly happy, why bother posting against an UHD lcd?

I have been away a few days, enjoying my TV and what do I find this thread is thru the roof with so much BS it is unbelievable.

But guess what, I have been enjoying my TV during this time, while you were posting BS, get a life.

@imagic and others who are so easily disqualifying the test done by hdtvtest uk - what on earth makes you more credible than a reputable UK reviewer? I will be happy when you report of a more scientific test to your standards.

@imagic - I am eagerly awaiting your review of the Panasonic UHD you have, just curious to see what you come up with, because that TV came at the bottom of the 2014 UHD TVs when I was buying, especially in upscaling it was the worst.

In addition, conspiring that the largest online tv reviewer in the UK is publishing inacurate information with a fake test is simply wrong, and one can be led to believe that there is more going on between hdtvtest uk and certain members of AVS, especially ones that are ISF cerified senior writers.
in the uktvtest side-by-side comparison the AX800 was the best UHD not best screen of cause. think about that.

the screen you think is the worst.
mightyhuhn is offline  
post #1343 of 1808 Old 08-11-2014, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
vddobrev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 812
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty1020 View Post
This thread might be the most useless thread on avs. If you don't have 4k TV then you shouldn't have a definitive opinion one way or another. Only way to know for sure is by forming your own opinion over time.
Agree 100%.
vddobrev is offline  
post #1344 of 1808 Old 08-11-2014, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
vddobrev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 812
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyhuhn View Post
so a thread about buying a UHD should only be use by people who have a UHD? I see a problem with this.
Where was it stated that the thread should be for owners only? It was expressed that a definitive opinion can be made by owners only over time.

Last edited by vddobrev; 08-11-2014 at 05:12 PM.
vddobrev is offline  
post #1345 of 1808 Old 08-11-2014, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mrorange303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,760
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyhuhn View Post
in the uktvtest side-by-side comparison the AX800 was the best UHD not best screen of cause. think about that.

the screen you think is the worst.
We 4k owners all consider the panasonic the lower end performer. It doesnt scale as good. Im sorry but on that point i agree. But ive said that before.


It does not upscale in the same quality as the sony or samsung.

It also doesnt play the netflix content. So your missing the only real source of uhd for now.

Besides YT and personal video.

So the upscale should be the best in the industry.

But its not.

This is common fodder in the 4k forums.

The set does however do many, many things well and still has one kick butt picture overall.
Mrorange303 is online now  
post #1346 of 1808 Old 08-11-2014, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
vddobrev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 812
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
There certainly are people participating in this thread who have UHDTVs. And, actually having a UHDTV does not automatically make you an expert on the topic.
Absolutely right, you may not become an ISF certified professional. But hands on experience is very often greater appreciated when giving advise in buying a TV, compared to how much knowledge you show in AV science, especially when the advise you give is by quoting other experts in the field.
vddobrev is offline  
post #1347 of 1808 Old 08-11-2014, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
vddobrev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 812
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyhuhn View Post
in the uktvtest side-by-side comparison the AX800 was the best UHD not best screen of cause. think about that.

the screen you think is the worst.
Link? What sets was it compared to?
vddobrev is offline  
post #1348 of 1808 Old 08-11-2014, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
mightyhuhn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 745
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by vddobrev View Post
Link? What sets was it compared to?
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/result-201406013793.htm

try google next time very easy to find.
Quote:
  • Samsung UE65HU8500 curved ultra high-definition (UHD) TV
  • Panasonic TX-65AX802B 4K television
  • Sony KD-65X9005B 4K Ultra HD TV
  • Samsung UE65HU7500 UHD television
  • LG 55EA980V curved OLED TV
  • Panasonic TX-P60ZT65B plasma display panel (PDP)
it won vs the u8500 even with the bad scaling strange...
mightyhuhn is offline  
post #1349 of 1808 Old 08-11-2014, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
mightyhuhn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 745
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrorange303 View Post
We 4k owners all consider the panasonic the lower end performer. It doesnt scale as good. Im sorry but on that point i agree. But ive said that before.


It does not upscale in the same quality as the sony or samsung.

It also doesnt play the netflix content. So your missing the only real source of uhd for now.

Besides YT and personal video.

So the upscale should be the best in the industry.

But its not.

This is common fodder in the 4k forums.

The set does however do many, many things well and still has one kick butt picture overall.
you can put a devise on HDMI or DP like a PC so there are ways to fix this...
you need a BD player for BD too.
mightyhuhn is offline  
post #1350 of 1808 Old 08-11-2014, 05:30 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 6,529
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1849 Post(s)
Liked: 3152
Quote:
Originally Posted by vddobrev View Post
This thread is not about plasma vs lcd. All plasma fans, should read the thread subject again and again.

Now having said that I am sick and tired of people telling me that I cannot see the diff between my 1080p and UHD lcd set.

Who are you, and what gives you the right to have an opinion, without owning a 4k set, to tell me what I see with my own eyes? Or better yet what I should not be able to see by bringing up some charts?

Wtf is wrong with you people? If you have a plasma and are perfectly happy, why bother posting against an UHD lcd?

I have been away a few days, enjoying my TV and what do I find this thread is thru the roof with so much BS it is unbelievable.

But guess what, I have been enjoying my TV during this time, while you were posting BS, get a life.

@imagic and others who are so easily disqualifying the test done by hdtvtest uk - what on earth makes you more credible than a reputable UK reviewer? I will be happy when you report of a more scientific test to your standards.

@imagic - I am eagerly awaiting your review of the Panasonic UHD you have, just curious to see what you come up with, because that TV came at the bottom of the 2014 UHD TVs when I was buying, especially in upscaling it was the worst.

In addition, conspiring that the largest online tv reviewer in the UK is publishing inacurate information with a fake test is simply wrong, and one can be led to believe that there is more going on between hdtvtest uk and certain members of AVS, especially ones that are ISF certified senior writers.
HDTVtest is more credible than CNET and Consumer Reports, both of which it purports to debunk with the test? I think not. All of them are plenty credible. I also never suggested that there was anything at all wrong with the writing at HDTVtest, which fully acknowledged the limitations of that test.

No conspiracy, BTW. No politics. I'd appreciate it if you didn't insinuate that there is. I'm just offering my opinions and insights, you are totally welcome to disagree with me.

Mark Henninger

Last edited by imagic; 08-11-2014 at 05:39 PM.
imagic is online now  
Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
frontpage

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off