UHD/4K Quandary: To Buy or Not to Buy - Page 51 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 551Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1501 of 1811 Old 08-16-2014, 02:10 AM
Advanced Member
 
Z-Mad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 661
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
The reviews I've read on the LG OLED's have been very good. So far they kind of deserve a little credit for not bailing on plasma YET. I've never been a LG fan but they seem to have hit a home run with OLED. Maybe we should buy their stock.
Yeah, I probably shouldn't discredit them entirely, particularly with OLED's. I have indeed seen the LG OLED, and the picture did look...well...as one would expect from OLED But if they didn't change the user interface for example, man, I'd be so turned off by it, lol. I think their OLED's are simply benefiting from inherent advantages of OLED, as any other manufacturer would too. So there would probably still be enough room to compare between brands and find points of differentiation... But sure, they deserve credit for their efforts with OLED, I agree...
Z-Mad is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1502 of 1811 Old 08-16-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
NetworkTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: CT
Posts: 15,646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
LG certainly seems to be in the cat bird seat when it comes to OLED. Not sure about what's going on in the PRC but with the right patent rights LG could actually put a strangle hold on future OLED development. New printinhg methods may lead to OLED becoming so inexpensive to manufacture that profit margins will be unattractive to the name manufactures we are familiar with.
On the other hand, sometimes leading the charge into the wrong battle means you're more likely to end up dead...
NetworkTV is offline  
post #1503 of 1811 Old 08-16-2014, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
Z-Mad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 661
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonlui View Post
i was in a similar boat a few months ago. i had to decide between a 65" UHDTV or 75" HDTV.
I knew I wanted a Samsung and so my research began.
I just find this statement a bit funny; if you were about to start your research, how did you know ahead of time you wanted a Samsung? Wouldn't you start with researching everything there is to know about the TV's out there first and find the one that gives you best performance for your budget? If it ends up being a Samsung, so be it (I have nothing against Samsung), but there are some sets out there that outperform Samsung in certain price ranges or offer a better value... Anyway, just couldn't help but notice a bit of a paradox in that sentence
Z-Mad is offline  
post #1504 of 1811 Old 08-16-2014, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mrorange303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,777
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Mad View Post
I just find this statement a bit funny; if you were about to start your research, how did you know ahead of time you wanted a Samsung? Wouldn't you start with researching everything there is to know about the TV's out there first and find the one that gives you best performance for your budget? If it ends up being a Samsung, so be it (I have nothing against Samsung), but there are some sets out there that outperform Samsung in certain price ranges or offer a better value... Anyway, just couldn't help but notice a bit of a paradox in that sentence
Why does this even matter?
Mrorange303 is offline  
post #1505 of 1811 Old 08-16-2014, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
Z-Mad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 661
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrorange303 View Post
Why does this even matter?
Like I said, I just noticed a paradox in the statement of knowing what one wants and then starting the research on it. Similarly how some may "know" they want 4K before they considered all aspects of a TV... see there is an underlining meaning, if one gives it some thought. You can certainly ignore the comment if you find it irrelevant to you... It's a general comment, not sure what your quarrel is with it...
losservatore likes this.
Z-Mad is offline  
post #1506 of 1811 Old 08-16-2014, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
losservatore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,333
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Guys there is no other place to hangout?




Value Electronics 2014 Flat-Panel Shootout Live Stream

Last edited by losservatore; 08-16-2014 at 03:04 PM.
losservatore is online now  
post #1507 of 1811 Old 08-16-2014, 03:06 PM
Newbie
 
jacksonlui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Mad View Post
I just find this statement a bit funny; if you were about to start your research, how did you know ahead of time you wanted a Samsung? Wouldn't you start with researching everything there is to know about the TV's out there first and find the one that gives you best performance for your budget? If it ends up being a Samsung, so be it (I have nothing against Samsung), but there are some sets out there that outperform Samsung in certain price ranges or offer a better value... Anyway, just couldn't help but notice a bit of a paradox in that sentence
I have a Samsung smart phone and I've known about all the features I can take advantage of. I've own LG washers and now a Samsung. I just like the user interface and feature set. I'm sure there are others that have better pq but that's wasn't my only criteria
jacksonlui is offline  
post #1508 of 1811 Old 08-16-2014, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mrorange303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,777
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
Guys there is no other place to hangout?




Value Electronics 2014 Flat-Panel Shootout Live Stream
We are all aware of the shoot out. Informing us again of new information.
Mrorange303 is offline  
post #1509 of 1811 Old 08-16-2014, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
losservatore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,333
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrorange303 View Post
We are all aware of the shoot out. Informing us again of new information.


Beside the Samsung uh9000 thread it seems like this is the only thread that you found good to hangout .


Have fun.
losservatore is online now  
post #1510 of 1811 Old 08-16-2014, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mrorange303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,777
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
Beside the Samsung uh9000 thread it seems like this is the only thread that you found good to hangout ,have fun.

I just havent had nothing to add to the thread.

Most of the time i just read threads. As you can see i dont post in a lot of them.

I own the hu9000. Of course i post in that thread.
Mrorange303 is offline  
post #1511 of 1811 Old 08-16-2014, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
Z-Mad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 661
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonlui View Post
I have a Samsung smart phone and I've known about all the features I can take advantage of. I've own LG washers and now a Samsung. I just like the user interface and feature set. I'm sure there are others that have better pq but that's wasn't my only criteria
Sure, I get it... Brand loyalty it is... Like I said, not that there is anything wrong with choosing a Samsung if it provides the features you want. Was just wondering
Z-Mad is offline  
post #1512 of 1811 Old 08-17-2014, 03:21 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So do no other early LG 4k adopters feel like they've been abandoned and sold an out of date turkey?
addyeddy is offline  
post #1513 of 1811 Old 08-17-2014, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 3,330
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrorange303 View Post
Ok. SO I ignore the charts? Really people.

Ok your chart means little when they take 50 people and apply your chart test and it fails.

It failed.

It was wrong.

As many people have pointed out apparently no one took into account eye sight with your graph. Chart, etc.


Perhaps you all should know theory is just theory until supported by evidence. The evidence has proven this theory is not correct.

In fact the difference on a 1080p vs 4k can be seen on a 55" screen 9' away.

I don't want charts. I want evidence. Like this website that actually tested it.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/4k-re...1312153517.htm

The next person to say I'm wrong and post just some chart better use some supporting evidence because this is getting old. I agree.

Pro 4k provides extensive evidence. Hands on testing and against 4k post charts and gather to agree with each others post so they look more legit. Ignoring my facts posted like they don't exist. If the facts are ignored and you keep posting charts that's wrong and was just based off some dudes guesses then you must be right. Right?

Wrong. Read the test conducted.

People have different qualitys of eye sight.

Re/ linked article here http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/4k-re...1312153517.htm
Quote:
While we’d like to claim that we’ve provided the definitive answer to the great 4K vs 1080p debate, there are a number of caveats. First, the 4K videos we served from a media PC were high quality, which included a demo clip from Chimei Innolux, as well as the Blender Foundation’s excellent open-source movie projects Tears Of Steel and Sintel. Critics may argue that this is unrealistic, since the native 4K material that may become available in streaming format will probably be compressed to a heavier degree. However, our intention was to demonstrate the difference – if any – between the best of 4K versus the best of 1080p. After all, if you wanted to show off your HDTV to your friends, you would use the most pristine Blu-ray movies, instead of softer HD content or (gasp) Netflix, wouldn’t yo
While we’d like to claim that we’ve provided the definitive answer to the great 4K vs 1080p debate, there are a number of caveats.

Take away here e.g, above = arguably superior than average consumer 4K content quality may provide false positives and author admitted to wit ,

Quote:
"While we’d like to claim that we’ve provided the definitive answer to the great 4K vs 1080p debate, there are a number of caveats."
Author admits the likely hood of false positives or at least invalid results

Were the viewers qualified coached or trained or just picked at random ?




Quote:
Second, we had some difficulty matching the displays such that resolution was the only difference, even with full calibration. We opted to use the Samsung UE55F9000 and UE55F8000 for the 4K vs 1080p comparison because of their excellent onboard SPVA LCD panels which we had hoped would be similar, but then we discovered that the retail units supplied by Richer Sounds featured slightly different black level and gamma response between each other, which is
understandable given that one’s a 4K panel and the other one isn’t.

Quote:
Second, we had some difficulty matching the displays such that resolution was the only difference, then we discovered that the retail units supplied by Richer Sounds featured slightly different black level and gamma response between each other
While an attempt was made to level the differences the author admitted it was unsuccessful .

Take away , The panels other image qualities (other than resolution )were not level matched for image quality properties e.g, different black level and gamma response.
Said differences may have provided "a tell" or expectation bias preference .



Expectation bias and arguably the 4K panels differences other than resolution likely resulted in false positives not to mention the sampling was far too small nor were the test conditions exacting enough to conclude a reliable statistically valid result.



Quote:
Armed with our trusty Klein K10-A meter and CalMAN 5 video calibration software, we managed to dial out most of the discrepancies, but when you’re comparing two displays side-by-side specifically looking for a difference (which is the whole point of the exercise), even the slightest discrepancy gets magnified. Whether or not this made it easier for attendees to spot a difference between the TVs remains unknown, but at least the result was consistent, with more than 97% of participants correctly pinpointing the 4K television.
Quote:
looking for a difference (which is the whole point of the exercise), even the slightest discrepancy gets magnified.
Take away , again differences other than resolution could have resulted in bias expectation preference or "a tell" resulting in false positives. Again author admits at least twice in this article the results may be invalid e,g, once with the qualifier ,
"Whether or not this made it easier for attendees to spot a difference between the TVs remains unknown "



Quote:
Third, although most attendees succeeded in identifying the 4K Ultra HD TV, we have no idea of how they arrived at their conclusion. For all we know, it could have just been a fleeting shot which looked marginally sharper that clued them in, out of 30-odd minutes of video playback time per loop. For what it’s worth, to our eyes the native 4K content on the Samsung F9000 consistently presented more detail, particularly on faraway objects in a long shot. The difference was not night and day, but we could tell even from 9 feet away. Major disclaimer: we were not blinded, and knew which television was the 4K one from the outset.
Quote:
Third, although most attendees succeeded in identifying the 4K Ultra HD TV, we have no idea of how they arrived at their conclusion. For all we know, it could have just been a fleeting shot which looked marginally sharper that clued them in, out of 30-odd minutes of video playback
Take away , Refer to above take away's and this,

Quote:
"While we’d like to claim that we've provided the definitive answer to the great 4K vs 1080p debate, there are a number of caveats."
The author admits to the likelihood of invalid results/conclusions from all this.




Quote:
Last but not least, resolution is only one of the many attributes of picture quality, and not the most important one. Amongst the swarm of 4K televisions on exhibit, it was actually a full HD 1080p set – the LG 55EA980W OLED TV – that hogged the attention of those attending the event, largely due to its ability to render true 0 cd/m2 blacks, contributing to an unrivalled contrast performance (which most video enthusiasts agree is the principal determinant of image quality). Ok, its
unfathomably slim panel and subtly curved design probably turned more than a few heads too.
Quote:
Last but not least, resolution is only one of the many attributes of picture quality
Again see above re/ false positives and level matching .



Quote:
So there you have it: the superior resolution of 4K over 1080p is visible on a 55″ screen from 9 feet away, provided the content is up to par. The difference is not big unless you move closer – only you can decide if this is worth the higher prices currently commanded by Ultra HD 4K TVs.
likely an unqualified opinion rather than proof for many of the reasons stated above

Arguably the author goes on to contradict himself here,
Quote:
"While we’d like to claim that we’ve provided the definitive answer to the great 4K vs 1080p debate, there are a number of caveats."
and here
Quote:
Third, although most attendees succeeded in identifying the 4K Ultra HD TV, we have no idea of how they arrived at their conclusion. For all we know, it could have just been a fleeting shot which looked marginally sharper that clued them in, out of 30-odd minutes of video playback
Take away from all this , If one were to be kind, nothing much beyond some arguably false positives from the many reasons listed above have resulted from all this and scientifically unqualified opinions were stated in the article , certainly not statistically valid results .

One could also argue quite successfully that making general statements based partly on arguably false positives cited in this case does not support an argument and has no verifiable scientific merit beyond an opinion .☺☺

I would like to add that IMO hdtv test uk is very good website and I frequently use it but I just had some minor exceptions with this one article as used in the context of this discussion ☺☺☺
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/
CruelInventions likes this.

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-17-2014 at 08:22 AM.
tubetwister is online now  
post #1514 of 1811 Old 08-17-2014, 06:37 AM
Newbie
 
Otium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Oz
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So what do you think? Is Ken right that 4K TV does not need native 4K content? Is it unwise to get a UHD/4K TV now, or do the benefits outweigh the transitional nature of today's models?

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+
[/quote]



I am not interested in 4K TVs. When 4K resolution comes in the form of 21:9 native front projector I will be interested and I'll buy one (providing I'd be able to afford one). However, it may never happen. In that case future upgrades of my HT will come to an end.

When I'm in my HT, I'm not even in my home.

Last edited by Otium; 08-17-2014 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Size
Otium is offline  
post #1515 of 1811 Old 08-17-2014, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 3,330
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
LG certainly seems to be in the cat bird seat when it comes to OLED. Not sure about what's going on in the PRC but with the right patent rights LG could actually put a strangle hold on future OLED development. New printinhg methods may lead to OLED becoming so inexpensive to manufacture that profit margins will be unattractive to the name manufactures we are familiar with.
If the P.R.C Aviation companies can basically engineer/ reverse engineer a Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor with an arguably comparable air frame (Chengdu J-20 )the inevitability of the same thing happening with an OLED TV panel should they choose to do so should not even be a question

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-17-2014 at 08:55 AM.
tubetwister is online now  
post #1516 of 1811 Old 08-17-2014, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 3,330
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otium View Post
So what do you think? Is Ken right that 4K TV does not need native 4K content? Is it unwise to get a UHD/4K TV now, or do the benefits outweigh the transitional nature of today's models?
If the 4K set has a good premium panel and scaler + on board video processing it can enhance 1080p
possibly for reasons other than a 4K panel . OTOH close up ( a few ft depending on screen size ) the display will show Less or no pixelation ofc a 70-80"+ set will likely benefit more from 4K than say a 50-55" at usual view distances.

Most of the premium sets with premium benefits and features are moving to 4K but plenty of decent 2K (1080p )sets are still around some are IMO the Sony 8x and 8.5x the Samsung 7x 8x ,LG 6.8, 7x and LG 1080p OLED and ofc the Samsung f5xxx and f8500 Plasmas

I think Scott's comments and opinions in post 1 are very valid,relevant and reflect current conditions.
LINK = UHD/4K Quandary: To Buy or Not to Buy
CruelInventions likes this.

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-17-2014 at 08:48 AM.
tubetwister is online now  
post #1517 of 1811 Old 08-17-2014, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mrorange303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,777
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 231
The people make their own choices. Be some adults and understand that. Now i swore they said stop talking about that topic or they would be banning yet here you are when we all have been told to move on. Hmm..
Mrorange303 is offline  
post #1518 of 1811 Old 08-17-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mrorange303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,777
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otium View Post
So what do you think? Is Ken right that 4K TV does not need native 4K content? Is it unwise to get a UHD/4K TV now, or do the benefits outweigh the transitional nature of today's models?

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+


I am not interested in 4K TVs. When 4K resolution comes in the form of 21:9 native front projector I will be interested and I'll buy one (providing I'd be able to afford one). However, it may never happen. In that case future upgrades of my HT will come to an end. [/QUOTE]
Get a hold of yourself. Your end of the world senario is amusing but the knowledgeable understand where we are in viewing.

Not far from OLED being the leading tech. Panasonic, Sony, LG, and Samsung continue to move oled forward.

Projectors continue to rise in quality and if you ever went with a projector you had to invest into your HT.
Mrorange303 is offline  
post #1519 of 1811 Old 08-17-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 3,330
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrorange303 View Post
The people make their own choices. Be some adults and understand that. Now i swore they said stop talking about that topic or they would be banning yet here you are when we all have been told to move on. Hmm..
Again I think Scott's comments and opinions in post 1 are very valid,relevant and reflect current conditions.
LINK = UHD/4K Quandary: To Buy or Not to Buy

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
tubetwister is online now  
post #1520 of 1811 Old 08-17-2014, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mrorange303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,777
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
If the 4K set has a good premium panel and scaler + on board video processing it can enhance 1080p
possibly for reasons other than a 4K panel . OTOH close up ( a few ft depending on screen size ) the display will show Less or no pixelation ofc a 70-80"+ set will likely benefit more from 4K than say a 50-55" at usual view distances.

Most of the premium sets with premium benefits and features are moving to 4K but plenty of decent 2K (1080p )sets are still around some are IMO the Sony 8x and 8.5x the Samsung 7x 8x ,LG 6.8, 7x and LG 1080p OLED and ofc the Samsung f5xxx and f8500 Plasmas

I think Scott's comments and opinions in post 1 are very valid,relevant and reflect current conditions.
LINK = UHD/4K Quandary: To Buy or Not to Buy
Screen size, viewing distance, viewing conditions, eye sight, color perception, motion perception all matters when it comes to ones choice on a tv.

We are all different in these areas. I would think i speak for myself. You speak as if i dont get a benefit from my 4k set.

So perhaps the answer is you have to go see one for yourself and choose if there is a brand and set that matches your needs.

Are you prepared to wait for more content?

Some sets are more future ready than others. All sets will be outdated once the standards are set but will still function and may still show additional benefits from those same 4k standards many are waiting for.

It maynot be your best option to be an early adopter in 4k. There may be technology you prefer as a viewer or or waiting for technology that evolves in the areas you treasure most watching content.

But this is not your bash 4k and argue its benefit. There are plenty of pages in here on that and every member posting now has finally cleaned up this thread.

Perhaps you could read the 10 to 15 pages and not try to return this thread to those type of discussions.

If you dont agree you join many in this thread. Not all.

Again please dont return this thread to what it was. It makes it useless to a buyer.
Mrorange303 is offline  
post #1521 of 1811 Old 08-17-2014, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mrorange303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,777
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
Again I think Scott's comments and opinions in post 1 are very valid,relevant and reflect current conditions.
LINK = UHD/4K Quandary: To Buy or Not to Buy
Well he has good points. The following pages go through some spirited discussion to argue some points.

Some from owners of 4k sets. Some from owners of 1080p sets. Some from potential owners of both. But we choose to have a discussion on his topic. Thats what is going on in here. The discussion of his topic.

After the shootout it evolves more for many people. Some will now wait.

Some find it more intriguing now that some sets can perform better.

Some will now wait for oled.

But thats why discussion is good.
Mrorange303 is offline  
post #1522 of 1811 Old 08-17-2014, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 3,330
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrorange303 View Post
Screen size, viewing distance, viewing conditions, eye sight, color perception, motion perception all matters when it comes to ones choice on a tv.

We are all different in these areas. I would think i speak for myself. You speak as if i dont get a benefit from my 4k set.

So perhaps the answer is you have to go see one for yourself and choose if there is a brand and set that matches your needs.

Are you prepared to wait for more content?

Some sets are more future ready than others. All sets will be outdated once the standards are set but will still function and may still show additional benefits from those same 4k standards many are waiting for.

It maynot be your best option to be an early adopter in 4k. There may be technology you prefer as a viewer or or waiting for technology that evolves in the areas you treasure most watching content.

But this is not your bash 4k and argue its benefit. There are plenty of pages in here on that and every member posting now has finally cleaned up this thread.

Perhaps you could read the 10 to 15 pages and not try to return this thread to those type of discussions.

If you dont agree you join many in this thread. Not all.

Again please dont return this thread to what it was. It makes it useless to a buyer.
I was discussing my exceptions with the statements made by the author of the linked article at HDTV test uk you quoted above in the context of this discussion not bashing 4K as wrongly interpreted . OTOH if you choose to ignore widely accepted scientific knowledge that is your choice It doesn't however alter the facts . .

And yes you might benefit from a 4K set depending on viewing habits,viewing distance content ,or any number of reasons ( e.g, rec 2020 color gamut with appropriate content ) aside from and possibly including pixel count .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-17-2014 at 09:20 AM.
tubetwister is online now  
post #1523 of 1811 Old 08-17-2014, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 3,330
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by addyeddy View Post
So do no other early LG 4k adopters feel like they've been abandoned and sold an out of date turkey?
Maybe the LG 4k sets have better panels and processing than 2K LG sets (not unlikely ) additionally there is the wider rec 2020 color gamut with 4K content to consider everything has + and - even OLED . I wouldn't discourage anyone from buying 4K ........ or 2K right now as things currently stand . I think Scott has a good handle on the debate in post 1 of this discussion .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
tubetwister is online now  
post #1524 of 1811 Old 08-17-2014, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mrorange303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,777
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
I was discussing my exceptions with the statements made by the author of the linked article at HDTV test uk you quoted above in the context of this discussion not bashing 4K as wrongly interpreted . OTOH if you choose to ignore widely accepted scientific knowledge that is your choice It doesn't however alter the facts . .

And yes you might benefit from a 4K set depending on viewing habits,viewing distance content ,or any number of reasons ( e.g, rec 2020 color gamut with appropriate content ) aside from and possibly including pixel count .
Why do you continue to discuss that topic? Im not ignoring it. We were told by the mods you will be banned. What dont you get?

There are plenty arguments you can revisit to fet not only my point of view but many others.

I believe you have no idea what the final standarfs will be so even the ones your trying to push like rec 2020 may never even happen.

If you trying to discuss is 4k worth it today you need tk leave the test out of it. Its been discussed.

And pixel count helps both resolution and color. So that also benefits a picture. And allows you tonsit closer if you choose to and still not see pixels. So all good things. No negatives from having more pixels in my mind.
Mrorange303 is offline  
post #1525 of 1811 Old 08-17-2014, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 3,330
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
I believe this UHD thing needs to be a slow and evolutionary change...


that is, when my TV's EVENTUALLY need to be replaced, due to wear, moving, wanting a bigger size, etc. then opting for a UHD tv over an HDTV, assuming the UHD tv is actually better, and not just higher resolution, then i'll view it the same way I look at 720p vs 1080p today. why the heck wouldn't I buy it? I always want to buy the best I can for my needs, so it only makes sense to get the higher resolution, if all else is equal.


but there is NOTHING about what I've seen from UHD tv that makes me want to upgrade my current TV's. in MANY ways, the UHD TV's would be massive downgrades from what I have and how I use them currently. I am a believer than no scaling is better than upscaling, so as long as I'm viewing 1080p content (at best), there's no point in UHD TV for me. To me, owning a UHD TV right now is like owning a Ferrari in winter. it's awesome, probably, but how would I ever know, I don't get to use it...
Paragraph sentences in blue perfectly aligns with my sentiments I have a Samsung plasma here (my real TV ☺)
and 4 other Sony ,Toshiba and LG LED with the oldest one being late 2012 so no hurry here hopefully anyway .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
tubetwister is online now  
post #1526 of 1811 Old 08-17-2014, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 3,330
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrorange303 View Post
Why do you continue to discuss that topic? Im not ignoring it. We were told by the mods you will be banned. What dont you get?
Nobody told me anything I've posted in this thread is outside of topic or forum rules your opinion not withstanding.
I think you are possibly ignoring an argument you can not support as related to the specific article you quoted earlier .


Quote:
I believe you have no idea what the final standarfs will be so even the ones your trying to push like rec 2020 may never even happen.

I'm not pushing rec 2020 it's already been adapted by the ITU and is included in current UHD TV standards in your 4K TV look it up sometime facts are always more enlightening than unqualified opinions .

I believe *maybe * some UHD R/F transmission and maybe digital re transmission standards are yet to be finalized although near future UHD satellite re transmission has already been announced by Direct TV recently.

Recc 2020 AKA ITU-R Recommendation BT.2020, including the included UHD 10 /12 bit color has already been ratified by the ITU and are current UHD TV standards. I belive the only standards being discussed for permanent adoption now are HDMI transmission standards and broadcast standards relating to 2160i/30 and 2060p/60 (3840 × 2160) as it stands now . HDMI 2.0 2160p/60 is the most recent adoption of the the CEA-861-F HDMI UHD standards. ofc rec 2020 could evolve also . They are discussing a 4.2.0 HDMI compression standard HDMI 2.0 is falling behind .

Quote:
ITU-R Recommendation BT.2020, more commonly known by the abbreviations Rec. 2020 or BT.2020, was posted on the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) website on August 23, 2012. Rec. 2020 defines various aspects of ultra high definition television (UHDTV) such as display resolution, frame rate, chroma subsampling, bit depth, and color space.[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rec._2020

Quote:
And pixel count helps both resolution and color. So that also benefits a picture. And allows you tonsit closer if you choose to and still not see pixels. So all good things. No negatives from having more pixels in my mind.
I don't believe anyone said there were negatives to more pixels ( I did not ) providing the content matched or any up scaling was done transparently without any degradation those are issues some seem to ignore now and then .
Negatives and lacking a positive result solely on it's own merits e.g, more pixels at a given distance in *some conditions * are two different things . Again feel free to ignore the science there .

I don't have any problems with 4K in general but like any technology it has it's own issues e,g, R/F broadcast , re transmission and ip bandwidth and sometimes poorly implemented up scaling and some as yet to be finalized standards .

Is 4K worth buying now ? Perhaps for some ? ................ I will defer to Scott's thread starter posting in this thread .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-17-2014 at 11:11 AM.
tubetwister is online now  
post #1527 of 1811 Old 08-17-2014, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mrorange303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,777
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
Nobody told me anything I've posted in this thread is outside of topic or forum rules your opinion not withstanding.
I think you are possibly ignoring an argument you can not support as related to the specific article you quoted earlier .





I'm not pushing rec 2020 it's already been adapted by the ITU and is included in current UHD TV standards in your 4K TV look it up sometime facts are always more enlightening than unqualified opinions .

I believe *maybe * some UHD R/F transmission and maybe digital re transmission standards are yet to be finalized although near future UHD satellite re transmission has already been announced by Direct TV recently.

Recc 2020 AKA ITU-R Recommendation BT.2020, including the included UHD 10 /12 bit color has already been ratified by the ITU and are current UHD TV standards. I belive the only standards being discussed for permanent adoption now are HDMI transmission standards and broadcast standards relating to 2160i/30 and 2060p/60 (3840 × 2160) as it stands now . HDMI 2.0 2160p/60 is the most recent adoption of the the CEA-861-F HDMI UHD standards. ofc rec 2020 could evolve also . They are discussing a 4.2.0 HDMI compression standard HDMI 2.0 is falling behind .






I don't believe anyone said there were negatives to more pixels ( I did not ) providing the content matched or any up scaling was done transparently without any degradation those are issues some seem to ignore now and then .
Negatives and lacking a positive result solely on it's own merits e.g, more pixels at a given distance in *some conditions * are two different things . Again feel free to ignore the science there .

I don't have any problems with 4K in general but like any technology it has it's own issues e,g, R/F broadcast , re transmission and ip bandwidth and sometimes poorly implemented up scaling and some as yet to be finalized standards .
Nobody has to tell you to go read this thread. Your level of comprehension and the inability to adequately absorb perfectly logical and explanable data has no effect on me. You continue to accuse me of avoiding a topic ive told you was modded in this thread.

You should read on that before you continue posting. I dont have to hold your hand in order for you to be able to locate it. Its all over this thread.

Any perception of a lack of understanding must be of your own. I have none.

You figure it out.
Mrorange303 is offline  
post #1528 of 1811 Old 08-17-2014, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 3,330
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrorange303 View Post
Nobody has to tell you to go read this thread. Your level of comprehension and the inability to adequately absorb perfectly logical and explanable data has no effect on me. You continue to accuse me of avoiding a topic ive told you was modded in this thread.

You should read on that before you continue posting. I dont have to hold your hand in order for you to be able to locate it. Its all over this thread.

Any perception of a lack of understanding must be of your own. I have none.

You figure it out.

Quote:
You continue to accuse me of avoiding a topic ive told you was modded in this thread.
You brought the article into the thread not I ................. perhaps in hindsight it was a mistake no?

Quote:
Any perception of a lack of understanding must be of your own. I have none.
As they say we are all entitled to our opinions or suppositions whether factual or not .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
tubetwister is online now  
post #1529 of 1811 Old 08-17-2014, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mrorange303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,777
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 231
I seen your post about scott. Nice you deided to delete it before i could respond.
Mrorange303 is offline  
post #1530 of 1811 Old 08-17-2014, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mrorange303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,777
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Again i prompt anyone who is considering a 4k or 1080p set to go see them for yourself.

The experts do not represent the genral public and only your eyes can tell you what you see.

Not a person in this thread can force your eyes to be wrong.

So as you read these post that continue to say your wrong and your eyes dont work just remember its your hard earned money.

Your eyes and your taste are all that matter. If you see a benefit to 4k like most do and that is to your liking buy one if you can.

If its not to your liking there are numerouse awesome 1080p sets to look at.

Either way dont let some one with a vedetta agaist me ( glad you erased that comment things were about to get personal) decide your next tv purchase.

Get out there and see these sets in person. Its the only way you should ever spend your money on one.
Mrorange303 is offline  
Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
frontpage



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off