AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrorange303 View Post
I seen your post about scott. Nice you deided to delete it before i could respond.
55" 1080p Samsung doesn't have FALD like you said ....... you know that now right , just like Scott says ?. I wasn't even looking for anything I was just reading back posts and found that one somewhat amusing ...................... nothing personal btw. l

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 1817 Old 08-17-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
55" 1080p Samsung doesn't have FALD like you said ....... you know that now right , just like Scott says ?. I wasn't even looking for anything I was just reading back posts and found that one somewhat amusing ...................... nothing personal btw. l
Sorry I forgot to add it was the set in my kids room. That's why I wasn't up to snuff on it. No excuse to be wrong. But again I admitted I was wrong.

Again the kids tv.
post #1533 of 1817 Old 08-17-2014, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

After the shootout the plasma still have the best blacks and motion for an affordable set. Owning a 4k I do have a benefit from resolution.

That being said I can say I think my 4k set is the better over my room a f8000.

I can say dynamic mode on the Hu9000 is ridiculous. But colors are super saturated but don't have leakage. So it handles color really well. I don't use dynamic mode. I was just saying it looks crazy.

I would skip a 1080p LCD.

At least you could argue resolution for an LCD. But you won't beat a plasma for picture at the price.

Too bad it's ghost.

Just gotta use your eyes. That's really the best indicator of what's right for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	216345  
post #1534 of 1817 Old 08-17-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

FWIW Interestingly the Sony factory rep at the Value Electronics shoot out told the audience towards the end of the event that "sitting 9 ft away from an 84" screen and you might as well have 1080p ! " ......... his words not mine ! it can be seen toward the end of the video.

What I took away from the event was that until the standards get finalized and the content falls in line (including 4K blueRay ) as one of the Sony or Samsung presenters said " with 4K what we have now for the most part is HD + " again his words not mine .....

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-17-2014 at 02:01 PM.
post #1535 of 1817 Old 08-17-2014, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
FWIW Interestingly the Sony factory rep at the Value Electronics shoot out told the audience towards the end of the event that sitting
8 ft away from an 84" screen and you might as well have 1080p .......... his words not mine ! it can be seen toward the end of the video
I admit that i heard a lot of negative things on the sets during that broadcast.

However they are very fond of a plasma picture. They also may not feel its better for them .honestly it may not be.

However i would also point out that one day 4k material will make a difference on larger sets one way or another.

There is just no way to avoid it on larger sets.
post #1536 of 1817 Old 08-17-2014, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I admit that i heard a lot of negative things on the sets during that broadcast.

However they are very fond of a plasma picture. They also may not feel its better for them .honestly it may not be.

However i would also point out that one day 4k material will make a difference on larger sets one way or another.

There is just no way to avoid it on larger sets.
I wouldn't say they were being negative but just pointing out the current state of things . one of the presenters
mentioned that the additional color space would be the biggest benefit rather than the additional pixels .

That being said some of the new Sony and Samsung 4K sets I've seen briefly at BB/Magnolia look great and the LG 1080p WOLED is amazing also .

ofc nothing beats the colors of the good Psychedelics we had in the 60's and early 70's no TV can touch that bro !

post #1537 of 1817 Old 08-17-2014, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I wouldn't say they were being negative but just pointing out the current state of things . one of the presenters
mentioned that the additional color space would be the biggest benefit rather than the additional pixels .

That being said some of the new Sony and Samsung 4K sets I've seen briefly at BB/Magnolia look great and the LG 1080p WOLED is amazing also .

ofc nothing beats the colors of the good Psychedelics we had in the 60's and early 70's no TV can touch that bro !
Funny thing is I was just thinking about some damn movie and those exact colors. Scott pilgrim I think. Looked pretty good. But I agree the color needs to be better. But it's better than my 1080p sets.
post #1538 of 1817 Old 08-17-2014, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Funny thing is I was just thinking about some damn movie and those exact colors. Scott pilgrim I think. Looked pretty good. But I agree the color needs to be better. But it's better than my 1080p sets.
It will get there Samsung can do colors well no problem there . My Plasma is a 2013 Samsung and the best LED
( of 5 ) in the house here is a 2013 Sony with a wicked Samsung SPVA panel with a wicked picture to match since I tuned it to rec .709 .

ofc that's in my bedroom along with a rodded PC using the Sony for a second screen + a Roku and Dish box
The Sammie Plasma gets the PS3 connected to the LAN here Plasmas are good gamers with an effective refresh rate of 600mHz . Driving Sims are cool on the Sammie plasma with the Logitec G27 Wheel w/ pedals and gaming chair COD is alright too ! .

I don't hate 4K LED , I don't hate Plasma (obviously ) I don't hate 1080p LED either they can all be good in their own ways and each has their own issues also .

When I bring up any technical or use issues it's not about hating it's just geek technical discussion for me that's all
I'm not a fan boy of any particular technology they can all be interesting in a screen geek way .

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-17-2014 at 03:10 PM.
post #1539 of 1817 Old 08-17-2014, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It will get there Samsung can do colors well no problem there . My Plasma is a 2013 Samsung and the best LED
( of 5 ) in the house here is a 2013 Sony with a wicked Samsung SPVA panel with a wicked picture to match since I tuned it to rec .709 .

ofc that's in my bedroom along with a rodded PC using the Sony for a second screen + a Roku and Dish box
The Sammie Plasma gets the PS3 connected to the LAN here Plasmas are good gamers with an effective refresh rate of 600mHz . Driving Sims are cool on the Sammie plasma with the Logitec G27 Wheel w/ pedals and gaming chair COD is alright too ! .

I don't hate 4K LED , I don't hate Plasma (obviously ) I don't hate 1080p LED either they can all be good in their own ways and each has their own issues also .

When I bring up any technical or use issues it's not about hating it's just geek technical discussion for me that's all
I'm not a fan boy of any particular technology they can all be interesting in a screen geek way .
Some sets perform better than others so the expirience varies. I agree though its good to discuss the technical aspects.
post #1540 of 1817 Old 08-17-2014, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh yea I was suprised to see so much vaience between the sets at VE shotout that didn't cost new car or
what used to be small bungalow money !

I wouldfent buy a set sight unseen if given a choice that's a fact too much varience like you say .

Don't trust any air I cant see either

post #1541 of 1817 Old 08-17-2014, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Oh yea I was suprised to see so much vaience between the sets at VE shotout that didn't cost new car or
what used to be small bungalow money !

I wouldfent buy a set sight unseen if given a choice that's a fact too much varience like you say .

Don't trust any air I cant see either
I agree. The sony looked to be freaking out. I wonder how it looked in person.

I guess we need the results to see. But we could clearly see a need for improvement.
post #1542 of 1817 Old 08-17-2014, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

One of Sonys wasn't looking that good must have been an LGD IPS or CMO VA panel the 84" has a CMO panel . I like the smaller (65 and under ) Sony 8x and 8.5 and W600,W700 or the 70" 8.5x with a Samsung panel .
or any Sony with Samsung or AUO panel I like some of the Samsungs as well.
I have 3 LCD with Samsung SPVA panels inside all have real decent pictures .
Samsung makes good panels IMO .

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-17-2014 at 05:15 PM.
post #1543 of 1817 Old 08-18-2014, 08:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
I was hoping for a more evolved read. I think it would be ill advised to take a 1080p set knowing its just a matter of time for that resolution.
Any 1080p content usually looks better on a 4k set. Why buy a new outdated tv?
I think this also goes toe and toe with most 4k sets. Samsung has removed the brains making the line up upgradable at a fairly low cost and also leaves a much larger window for a set that complys with 4k standards.

The samsungs have spectacular 3d. Active 3d provides a bright, crisp 3d picture that is greater bluray when it comes to immersion.

No 1080p set makes 3d close to the same quality.

Netflix has already begun to release content.

The sets that support it really shine. The future won't be les and less 4k. It will be less and less 1080p content. Why not at least have a set that comes with a nice new viewing experience if it is available at an affordable price?

Those people who all ran out and bought 720 plasmas and eArly LCDs quickly had 1080 sets shortly after because of one thing resolution.

If we were talking anything else I would understand but resolution jumps are important and should be the first thing we consider now that 4k sets are available. Sorry but it's true. That will change once the saturation demands it. Oled vs LCD will be the new plasma vs LCD battle.

Plasma would still be alive if 1080p was all we had to worry about. You could buy a plasma today and know the tech was best.

What killed it? 4k. Because 4k plasmas was not realistic. If 1080p was still the standard plasma would still be alive.

All these things point to one thing.

Buy a 4k set.
Stupid to buy now! Remember when Blu Ray came out... expensive and very little Blu Ray movies at the time... stupid to buy then too.

I will consider it in two years when the 4K content is more available and and when the price is a LOT less.
tubetwister likes this.
post #1544 of 1817 Old 08-18-2014, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 130
4K NOT EXPECTED TO BECOME MAINSTREAM UNTIL 2019

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/4k-ma...1408183883.htm
tubetwister likes this.
post #1545 of 1817 Old 08-18-2014, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post

It really depends on two things, assuming a continued lack of 4k material, price and the ability of the 4k set to improve the PQ of the current broadcast signal.
tubetwister likes this.
post #1546 of 1817 Old 08-18-2014, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post

That soon?

How long has bluray been out? Do we even consider that 'mainstream'?
tubetwister likes this.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #1547 of 1817 Old 08-18-2014, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Remember, NHK plan to start broadcasting 8K OTA in Japan in time for the 2020 Olympics!
tubetwister likes this.

I, dabotsonline / Nicholas Polydor, am part of Panasonic UK's 'VIERA VIP Club': a group of six bloggers and forum posters receiving special access to information and events for the TV product range. Costs for activities are covered by Panasonic (no cash is involved). However, I can assure that this will never compromise my integrity or objectivity as an ethical conscience is something I have always and will forever hold very dear to my heart.
post #1548 of 1817 Old 08-18-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Sony mfr rep stated ~ at V.E. shootout yesterday that 4K was good for 84" screens ( @ a few ft ) close up but at 8-9 ft might as well be 1080p and not much use below that size at given distance . Samsung factory rep stated biggest benefit of 4K will eventually be more colors someday when they finalize the standard and that increased resolution by itself was not that important and not very useful under~ 85". That's from the folks who make the sets take it for what it's worth .

V.E. flat panel Shootout video can be seen here above discussion is somewhere in the last ~ 25% of the video .
http://new.livestream.com/accounts/6...events/3297676

It's still there for viewing after the fact . PC Just requires a free live stream acct only or instead the free Roku channel .
on PC just click on the link put in your E mail and make up a password for free Live steam acct done and done .

The very first post in this thread by Scott (a prominent industry professional about sums it up real well ! ) not much to add beyond that . UHD/4K Quandary: To Buy or Not to Buy

I bought two sets in 2013 and one in 2014 A 1080p Samsung plasma, and 1080p Sony LED and an LG 1080p LED ,haven't lost a moments sleep due to buyers remorse not buying 4K UHD .due to buyers remorse not buying 4K UHD .
plenty of very capable 1080p sets out there still . despite what the 4K fans and marketers will have you believe .

. The opposite was quite the case on 2001 when I bought an HD FD 1080p Sony Wega Trinitron and there was very little or no HD to watch for many years afterward .

4:3 on a 16x9 tube wasn't the greatest thing since sliced bread despite all the not too bad scaling options and line doubling features Sony offered at the time in the XBR . It still holds true today The best scaling option is none at all just ask anyone in the business they will tell you the same thing .

4K sets make nice PC monitors close up (for home ) if you have a PC or PC w/ aftermarket Video card with the stones to put out 2160P ( 3840×2160 (8.3 megapixels in the 16:9 aspect ratio) most don't out of the box .

I'm using 2560x 1440 x 27" PC monitor on the daily driver here it's decent in the sound studio I have 2 1680x 1050 24" monitors and a 40" 1080P TV re purposed as a monitor .

I don't hate 4K LED , I don't hate Plasma, I don't hate 1080p LED either they can all be good in their own ways and each has their own issues also .

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-18-2014 at 12:44 PM.
post #1549 of 1817 Old 08-18-2014, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack54 View Post
Stupid to buy now! Remember when Blu Ray came out... expensive and very little Blu Ray movies at the time... stupid to buy then too.

I will consider it in two years when the 4K content is more available and and when the price is a LOT less.
Actually I enjoy my current bluray movies much more on my current uhd 4k set. Why is it dumb?

Even if 4k never works out I have a super 1080p set. It literally upscales bluray to near 4k. All of them.

The 3d is better. It literally is as good as any 3d ever created. Literally.

So I would have a super nice set that makes current content look better. And that's stupid to you? Ok well thank goodness not everyone thinks like you. In that case why buy a retina iphone when it came out all the apps were for non retina. Or why buy a 4g cell phone when all the towers were 3G but a small amount. Why buy DVD when there was VHS. Why VHS when we had beta max. It made no sense to buy a ps3. There were ps2 everywhere. Why do we ever buy technology if there is something already in place that millions of people have.

Because it's the next step in televisions is uhd. People have always jumped on the wagon at different times. That didn't make those bluray owners stupid. Plenty of viable blurays going around.

I actually find it more a joke you would spend money on a 1080p over a quality uhd set.

But that's it. We don't think the same. If you got the $. Get the uhd as big as you can.
post #1550 of 1817 Old 08-18-2014, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
SoNy mfr rep stated ~ at V.E. shootout that 4K was good for 84" screens (few ) close up but at 8-9 ft might as well be 1080p
the very first post in this thread by Scott (a prominent industry professional about sums it up real well ! ) not much to add beyond that .

I bought 2 sets in 2013 and one in 2013 A 1080p Samsung plasma, and 1080p Sony LED and an LG 1080p LED ,haven't lost a moments sleep
due to buyers remorse not buying 4K UHD . The opposite was quite the case on 2001 when I bought an HD FD 1080p Sony Wega Trinitron
and there was very little or no HD to watch for many years after that 4:3 on a 16x9 tube wasn't the greatest thing since sliced bread despite
all the not to bad scaling options Sony offered at the time .
I would also point to THX who says the benefit of 4k start at 55" at 6' and up.

"Your eyesight, quality of the display itself and various other factors influence the point at which a person can distinguish individual pixels on a display of a given size. Nonetheless, for the overwhelming majority of consumers with a home television viewing distance of six feet or greater, the benefits of increased screen resolution will be recognized when viewing 4K content on a display 55 inches or larger."

http://www.thx.com/test-bench-blog/when-does-4k-matter/

Please note the famous chart was is from carltonbale.com. Hardly the rep of thx.

http://carltonbale.com/does-4k-resolution-matter/

When it comes to Sony They had to determine the numbers due to sony wanting to calculate the relation to distance and quality of regular movie theaters vs 4k theaters.

The calculation was then shrunken to fit the "most common" HT and there for involves variables.

If you had read this thread like you said you could have easily found it posted several times during the rants.

Now perhaps you could also tell all those 4k owners why they see the benefit over their plasmas. LCD led and even oled sets in some areas.

I literally sit 8' from 65" set and believe me my 8 yr old comments on the clarity difference. Every person to ever see my set has told me they are so jelly.

So jelly.

I truly hope you don't pick up a 4k set anytime soon. That you spend your hard earned cash on a set that makes you happy. That's what it's all about.

But you clearly got it twisted.

Last edited by Mrorange303; 08-18-2014 at 12:31 PM.
post #1551 of 1817 Old 08-18-2014, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

http://referencehometheater.com/2013...4k-calculator/

Screen Size (Inches) 65

Screen Distance - 8'

Vision 20/15

Update Data
4K vs 1080p Improvement: 150%
Ideal Resolution: 3016 x 1716

I think you should rethink your approach by using the calculator. Changing distance etc. then change the eye sight. Then you know what this thread knew pages ago.

Again what THX was saying.

"Your eyesight, quality of the display itself and various other factors influence the point at which a person can distinguish individual pixels on a display of a given size. Nonetheless, for the overwhelming majority of consumers with a home television viewing distance of six feet or greater, the benefits of increased screen resolution will be recognized when viewing 4K content on a display 55 inches or larger."
post #1552 of 1817 Old 08-18-2014, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabotsonline View Post
Remember, NHK plan to start broadcasting 8K OTA in Japan in time for the 2020
Olympics!
I want one .............. then I can get a more rodded PC than I already have to feed it (7680x4320) Yousa ,and put a 50" 8K on my desk (note : will hafta get bigger desk and maybe a Google 1GB fiber plan with no bandwidth caps ) and wonder why I bought the damn thing when you can't even (for the most part) get decent 1080P in the US yet

post #1553 of 1817 Old 08-18-2014, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
http://referencehometheater.com/2013...4k-calculator/

Screen Size (Inches) 65

Screen Distance - 8'

Vision 20/15

Update Data
4K vs 1080p Improvement: 150%
Ideal Resolution: 3016 x 1716

I think you should rethink your approach by using the calculator. Changing distance etc. then change the eye sight. Then you know what this thread knew pages ago.

Again what THX was saying.

Who me ? ...........Nothing personal but I got straight from the horses mouth in the VE video .....................From the folks that make the 4K sets! (Sony and Samsung no less ! ) doesn't get any better than that bro
later

FWIW ...............here is my take on the video :
Audience consisted of many very prominent industry and media professionals and mfr. reps. and well heeled very knowledgeable expert enthusiasts not to mention the inventor of flat panel TV ! Keeping that in mind and considering the audience I think the Sony and Samsung guys wisely chose to tell it like it is !

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-18-2014 at 01:11 PM.
post #1554 of 1817 Old 08-18-2014, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
After watching all of both days of VE Shootout. Hearing the comments from both Robert and DeWayne. It reconfirmed my decision that I made the right choice to go for the 60F8500. It was a tough choice between the 4K Samsung and 4KSony (both great sets) and the F 8500. When I do go 4K, in a few years, it will be OLED. Thank to all who have contributed to this thread.
tubetwister likes this.

Last edited by MegaByte; 08-18-2014 at 01:23 PM.
post #1555 of 1817 Old 08-18-2014, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaByte View Post
After watching all of both days of VE Shootout. Hearing the comments from both Robert and DeWayne. It reconfirmed my decision that I made the right choice to go for the 60F8500. It was a tough choice between the 4K Samsung and 4KSony (both great sets) and the F 8500. When I do go 4K, in a few years, it will be OLED. Thank to all who have contributed to this thread.

Nothing wrong with a Sammy f8500 nice set it was holding it's own and then some I thought at the shootout
I've got the 2013 60f5300 it's decent , it even spanks my new Sony LED and the other 4 LED other around here !

One thing cool about the f8500 ...........it doesn't have that stupid looking Samsung Chicken foot stand like the 5300's

post #1556 of 1817 Old 08-18-2014, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Who me ? ...........Nothing personal but I got straight from the horses mouth in the VE video .....................From the folks that make the 4K sets! (Sony and Samsung no less ! ) doesn't get any better than that bro
later

FWIW ...............here is my take on the video :
Audience consisted of many very prominent industry and media professionals and mfr. reps. and well heeled very knowledgeable expert enthusiasts not to mention the inventor of flat panel TV ! Keeping that in mind and considering the audience I think the Sony and Samsung guys wisely chose to tell it like it is !
Ahh gotcha now the shoutout video is the gospel. Yeah ok. So what happened to all of the stuff before the video? That's right it doesn't fit your proving this thread wrong so you ignore it even though those same people at the shootout are from the places we speak about.

So yeah the shootout is always gospel. Cool story "bro"
post #1557 of 1817 Old 08-18-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaByte View Post
The only 1080p I'd buy today. Great choice man. Enjoy that bad boy. I have found 4k uhd YouTube clips still looks amazing on the f8500.

See you on the dark side

I imagine as 4k oled owners one day.
post #1558 of 1817 Old 08-18-2014, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ahh gotcha now the shoutout video is the gospel. Yeah ok. So what happened to all of the stuff before the video? That's right it doesn't fit your proving this thread wrong so you ignore it even though those same people at the shootout are from the places we speak about.

So yeah the shootout is always gospel. Cool story "bro"
Nothing personal ,I belive THX is *sometimes more about marketing than science so do many others even many in the business . e.g, use existing conventional science ,alter it ever so slightly without real innovation and put your altered science marketing spin on it !

IMO THX seems to like to create their own science and standards for marketing purposes rather than acknowledge existing widely accepted proven conventional science.

Lot's of companies do these things all the time not an original business /marketing strategy by any means
they did that for over 100 years and still do that with over the counter patent medicines and placebos

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-18-2014 at 02:09 PM.
post #1559 of 1817 Old 08-18-2014, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Nothing wrong with a Sammy f8500 nice set it was holding it's own and then some I thought at the shootout
I've got the 2013 60f5300 it's decent , it even spanks my new Sony LED and the other 4 LED other around here !

One thing cool about the f8500 ...........it doesn't have that stupid looking Samsung Chicken foot stand like the 5300's
I hear ya on the chicken legs,,,,, I really like the stand on the F8500. The only downside to it is no way to swivel it. Hopefully it will ship sometime this week. Your 60F5300 is an great set. I'm retiring my Pioneer 5080 to the bedroom. It's going to be interesting to compare the Sammy to
the Pio.
post #1560 of 1817 Old 08-18-2014, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Smile

That statement made by the Sony rep at the Value Electronics event, concerning the supposed lack of a perceived difference in detail between 84-inch 1080p and UHD TVs at 8 to 9 feet, is actually at odds with other statements that his company has made.

As we all know 4k in commercial theaters has a little more resolution than so called 4k TVs. And 2k in those theaters does not have much more resolution than a properly mastered 1080p Blu-ray.

Sony has stated that with 4k theatrical presentations, as well as with UHD TVs at home, a viewing distance equal to 1.5 X the screen height will be optimal for most people. BUT, in discussing visible differences in the theatrical environment, while promoting its SXRD 4k projectors, Sony stated that most people will not notice a difference between 4k and 2k, if they are as far back as 3 screen heights. Modern stadium seating movie theaters are usually designed with the back row of seats placing people at a 3 screen height distance.

Since Sony maintains that 1.5 screen heights is optimum for both theatrical 4k and UHD TV, I would think that the 3 screen height statement that I've seen them make regarding the theater venue, should be very close to being equally valid for UHD TVs.

Now to arrive at the screen height for any 16X9 aspect ratio TV, you simply multiply its diagonal measurement by .49. For an 84" UHD TV this gives us a screen height of 41.16 inches. Multiply that figure by 3 and have 123.48 inches. So basically we are looking at about a 10 foot 3 and a half inch distance where "most" people would no longer notice a difference in resolution between 1080p and a UHD TV.

Well, I really enjoy the AVS forums, so I won't mind if some fellow AVS members want to come forward and rip my logic to shreds. Anyway, seems to me that the Sony rep was trying to make the situation seem worse than it actually is.
Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
frontpage