post #1591 of 1679 Old 08-19-2014, 05:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
You don't want to believe me fine but I can do without the smart ass remarks like I must read the paper from 18ft.
It's a perfectly valid question for someone claiming superhuman vision. Can you easily read a newspaper from 18'?
Z-Mad likes this.

Last edited by Stereodude; 08-19-2014 at 05:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 1679 Old 08-19-2014, 05:33 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked: 2478
Quote:
We are sitting here watching an episode from Shark Week from a distance of 18 feet on a Sony 70x850b which just replaced a Sony 70w850b. Both sets are set up exactly the same. The 4k set is much sharper with better detail and contrast. The difference is easily evident.Blu-rays and 3d is also noticeably better.
The claim is you can see the difference UHD makes when upscaling 1080i on a 70-incher from 18 feet away? I find that very hard to believe.
Stereodude and Z-Mad like this.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1593 of 1679 Old 08-19-2014, 06:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 37
well it looks like I am holding onto my LED a little longer. I just measured from the screen to my seating position......16 feet.

Correct me if I am wrong but even with an 85 inch 4k I will not be able to see any difference at that difference between 4k and 1080p correct?
post #1594 of 1679 Old 08-19-2014, 09:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
The claim is you can see the difference UHD makes when upscaling 1080i on a 70-incher from 18 feet away? I find that very hard to believe.
He's able to leap tall buildings in a single bound too!
post #1595 of 1679 Old 08-19-2014, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 188
You make 18 feet sound like a long way off. You sit 20 feet from an eye chart and here we're talking about looking at a lighted a screen that's 5 feet wide and 3 feet high from 2 feet closer than an eye chart with the chairs reclined. My room has two recliners at 18 feet center cut, a couch at 12 feet and a chair at 9 feet both at about a 20 degree angle. This isn't a home theater where being immersed in the picture is a requirement. We also read the paper, use our tablets etc. As it is my rear speakers are a good 6 feet behind the chairs. TV looks better than a similar 1080p set. Come on over, I live in Arizona. Check it out for your self. Depending on where you live I generaly recommend January.
post #1596 of 1679 Old 08-19-2014, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
You make 18 feet sound like a long way off. You sit 20 feet from an eye chart and here we're talking about looking at a lighted a screen that's 5 feet wide and 3 feet high from 2 feet closer than an eye chart with the chairs reclined. My room has two recliners at 18 feet center cut, a couch at 12 feet and a chair at 9 feet both at about a 20 degree angle. This isn't a home theater where being immersed in the picture is a requirement. We also read the paper, use our tablets etc. As it is my rear speakers are a good 6 feet behind the chairs. TV looks better than a similar 1080p set. Come on over, I live in Arizona. Check it out for your self. Depending on where you live I generaly recommend January.
It is useless to explain, these people live with their charts, and not a single one owns a UHD TV, except Mark who has one for review.

What bothers me the most, is that it is widely accepted here on this forum that you must a have a plasma and a dedicated dark room to watch TV. Dang, so 95% of the hoseholds who have a bright living room without dedicated dark room and watch TV during the day don't appreciate watching their sets?

I am with you on this, my UHD 65HU8500 looks way better than my 1080p set from similar distance. Like you I have very large living room, multiple couches at various distances. Any one who goes by the chart is welcome to come and visit, I currently live in Bulgaria.
post #1597 of 1679 Old 08-19-2014, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Oh, one more thing - finally with UHD set I don't see the pixel structure of the display, something that has bothered me along the way of 768 and 1080 set.
post #1598 of 1679 Old 08-19-2014, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 295
vddobrev so you are inviting me to Bulgaria to see a 2160p TV

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Revel Surrounds/Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos play:1 for bedrooms,kitchen,bathroom/Master bedroom Sonos sound bar/Sonos sub and Sonos play 1 surrounds.

Last edited by losservatore; 08-19-2014 at 01:25 PM.
post #1599 of 1679 Old 08-19-2014, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
vddobrev so you are inviting me to Bulgaria to see a 2160p TV
Yea, welcome to visit . I spent 15 years in San Francisco bay area, but am now relocated
post #1600 of 1679 Old 08-19-2014, 01:19 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked: 2478
Quote:
Originally Posted by vddobrev View Post
Oh, one more thing - finally with UHD set I don't see the pixel structure of the display, something that has bothered me along the way of 768 and 1080 set.
Have you had your eyesight checked lately? Based on your statements, it would appear that you have better than 20/10 vision.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1601 of 1679 Old 08-19-2014, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

vddobrev try this ,look at a flower outside and look very close to that flower, right! you can see the texture of that flower? ,now move 18' away from that flower, if you see the texture of that flower you have eagle eyes my friend.

Do this with whatever you want large or small or even your wall.

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Revel Surrounds/Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos play:1 for bedrooms,kitchen,bathroom/Master bedroom Sonos sound bar/Sonos sub and Sonos play 1 surrounds.
post #1602 of 1679 Old 08-19-2014, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Yep, maybe I should get myself a measuring tape and check again. I've only been around here since 2005 with over 3,000 posts so maybe I don't know how to measure distance from my seat to a screen. Who sits 18 feet from a screen? I do because my room is 20x30 so 18 feet suits us just fine. As I mentioned, both sets are calibrated exactly the same and I'm 67 years old and have been around TV's since before Sony made plasma's. You don't want to believe me fine but I can do without the smart ass remarks like I must read the paper from 18ft.
Mr. Sullivan, with all due respect, the number of comments or amount of time you have been on the AVS forum hardly explain how good your distance perception is, or how well you have estimated the distance you sit from the TV. People can easily overestimate or underestimate distance, and it can happen to anyone, me included. It was a sincere suggestion which is hardly inappropriate given the claim you are making. You do understand that the pixels are in micrometer size range, and the amount of detail 4K pixels offer is literally impossible to discern at distances that big. It is a simple matter of physiology and the limitation of the human eye, which has a finite resolution.
That being said, it is quite possible that you are seeing a different image quality between the sets, but that can be a result of a number of things, including sharpness setting, type and performance of the panel itself (even if you dial in the same number does not mean it is the same setting as panels do vary), different contrast ratio and dynamic range, etc, etc. which are all things that at a level of 1080p and above are more important for picture quality that resolution alone. So while it is quite possible that your newer 4K set "shines" better and simply is better than your other set, that does not necessarily mean that you are seeing the 4K detail from 18ft away. I know a thing or two about these things as well, as I do calibrations and have calibrated a number of sets... My reference to reading the newspaper is a good example (and not a smarta$$ comment), which was intended to give you a perspective on what you are claiming. If you see the 4K detail from 18ft, logic suggests that you should indeed be able to easily read a paper at that distance... If you indeed have eagle vision, then good for you sir...
tubetwister likes this.
post #1603 of 1679 Old 08-19-2014, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Have you had your eyesight checked lately? Based on your statements, it would appear that you have better than 20/10 vision.
Yes, every six months. I wear prescription. Usually when driving, I see signs clearly a bit earlier than companions.

Have YOU checked your eyesight?

"It is possible to have vision superior to 20/20: the maximum acuity of the human eye without visual aids (such as binoculars) is generally thought to be around 20/10 however, recent test subjects have exceeded 20/8 vision. Recent developments in optometry have resulted in corrective lenses conferring upon the wearer a vision of up to 20/10. Some birds, such as hawks, are believed to have an acuity of around 20/2; in this respect, their vision is much better than human eyesight."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_acuity

That in itself is science, my friend!
post #1604 of 1679 Old 08-19-2014, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Mad View Post
Mr. Sullivan, with all due respect, the number of comments or amount of time you have been on the AVS forum hardly explain how good your distance perception is, or how well you have estimated the distance you sit from the TV. People can easily overestimate or underestimate distance, and it can happen to anyone, me included. It was a sincere suggestion which is hardly inappropriate given the claim you are making. You do understand that the pixels are in micrometer size range, and the amount of detail 4K pixels offer is literally impossible to discern at distances that big. It is a simple matter of physiology and the limitation of the human eye, which has a finite resolution.
That being said, it is quite possible that you are seeing a different image quality between the sets, but that can be a result of a number of things, including sharpness setting, type and performance of the panel itself (even if you dial in the same number does not mean it is the same setting as panels do vary), different contrast ratio and dynamic range, etc, etc. which are all things that at a level of 1080p and above are more important for picture quality that resolution alone. So while it is quite possible that your newer 4K set "shines" better and simply is better than your other set, that does not necessarily mean that you are seeing the 4K detail from 18ft away. I know a thing or two about these things as well, as I do calibrations and have calibrated a number of sets... My reference to reading the newspaper is a good example (and not a smarta$$ comment), which was intended to give you a perspective on what you are claiming. If you see the 4K detail from 18ft, logic suggests that you should indeed be able to easily read a paper at that distance... If you indeed have eagle vision, then good for you sir...
Honest Z, Mr Sullivan is not necessary, Andy will do fine. I've never seen anyone mention a correlation between being able to read a newspaper from 18 feet and decerning a visable advantage of 4k over 2k from 18 feet, especially since this logic you mention says the task would be easy. It must be a study I missed. Of course my length of time on this forum or a specific amount of posts offer no degree of expertise but it might at least indicate that I would not sit in my chair and estimate the the viewing distance. Honest, I really used a tape measure. As you may have read earlier, I am not alone in my thinking that 4k at a distance delivers better PQ than 2k. Of course I agree with you that several other factors other than 4k alone can contribute to the increases observed. ISP Panel vs S-PVA Panel could be a huge factor on it's own. Better vidio processor also. Since I'm comparing a Sony 70w850b to a Sony 70x850b the correlation is more relevant at least from the standpoint that they are both 2014 models and both use the X-Reality Pro feature while only the X uses the TRILUMINUCE color filter. I promise that like most people my age I have nothing close to eagle eyes, not even with Lasik. I watch re-runs of Castle every day on TNT. At this moment the X blows away the W. Not even close.
post #1605 of 1679 Old 08-19-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by vddobrev View Post
Well I think that's more an issue with large LCD than it is an issue with 1080p. Because the cells are self illuminating, plasma tends to not show that sharp grid structure. Similarly our 82" DLP is absolutely smooth as silk even when you sit right up close to the screen. Probably the best is our CRT HD RPTV-- 1080i has never looked as sharp as it does on that set.

I agree that large LCD (70-80") looks horrendous up close but again I see that as more a weakness of the tech than an endorsement for 4k.
post #1606 of 1679 Old 08-19-2014, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Well I think that's more an issue with large LCD than it is an issue with 1080p. Because the cells are self illuminating, plasma tends to not show that sharp grid structure. Similarly our 82" DLP is absolutely smooth as silk even when you sit right up close to the screen. Probably the best is our CRT HD RPTV-- 1080i has never looked as sharp as it does on that set.

I agree that large LCD (70-80") looks horrendous up close but again I see that as more a weakness of the tech than an endorsement for 4k.
I think you are right about that, my "HD" CRT that I had long time ago never bothered me in this regard, so yes it must be an issue with large LCD.
post #1607 of 1679 Old 08-19-2014, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I am not alone in my thinking that 4k at a distance delivers better PQ than 2k.
So distance is what determine PQ ?

post #1608 of 1679 Old 08-19-2014, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
So distance is what determine PQ ?
Depends on the set some of the older Wega FD Trinitron SD CRT's looked better when you couldn't see the scan lines
but by that time picture was to small

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-19-2014 at 05:45 PM.
post #1609 of 1679 Old 08-19-2014, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
Depends on the set some of the older Wega FD Trinitron SD CRT's looked better when you couldn't see the scan lines
but by that time picture was to small

I'll probably agree if he said that it looks sharper at a optimal seating distance but he is saying that it have better PQ at 18' ,that's totally the opposite and against the advantage of UHD.

A 70" 2160p tv doesn't have any advantage over a 70" 1080p at 18 feet.

post #1610 of 1679 Old 08-19-2014, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'll probably agree if he said that it looks sharper at a optimal seating distance but he is saying that it have better PQ at 18' ,that's totally the opposite and against the advantage of UHD.

A 70" 2160p tv doesn't have any advantage over a 70" 1080p at 18 feet.
Mine does.
post #1611 of 1679 Old 08-19-2014, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Sir something you are seeing that is totally not related to pixels.
tubetwister likes this.

Last edited by losservatore; 08-19-2014 at 05:25 PM.
post #1612 of 1679 Old 08-19-2014, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm out this 70" TV comparison at 18 feet is a waist of time.

Like I said something you see that its not related to pixels.
tubetwister likes this.

Last edited by losservatore; 08-19-2014 at 05:34 PM.
post #1613 of 1679 Old 08-19-2014, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Mine does.
It ain't the pixel count at 18ft just a better (much more expensive set and better panel ) than the last set l bro

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #1614 of 1679 Old 08-19-2014, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
According to the reference home theatre calculator there is a 29% improvement in resolution going from 1080p to 4k with a 70" screen at 18', IF your vision is 20/10.

With 20/20 vision, the resolution improvement would be 0%.

http://referencehometheater.com/2013...4k-calculator/
post #1615 of 1679 Old 08-19-2014, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

This gentleman is 67 years old and wear glasses to drive ,if he is not diabetic or haven't suffered any eye trauma, he probably have myopia, astigmatism or any type of vision problem.

I still think that at 18' he is seeing something that its not related to pixels.

post #1616 of 1679 Old 08-19-2014, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
This gentleman is 67 years old and wear glasses to drive ,if he is not diabetic or haven't suffered any eye trauma, he probably have myopia, astigmatism or any type of vision problem.

I still think that at 18' he is seeing something that its not related to pixels.
I thought you were out. Can't help yourself huh? By the way Elmer. My sight is perfect without glasses.
post #1617 of 1679 Old 08-19-2014, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I thought you were out. Can't help yourself huh? By the way Elmer. My sight is perfect without glasses.

Why you need glasses to drive?
tubetwister likes this.

post #1618 of 1679 Old 08-20-2014, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi, long-time reader, first-time poster.
I just finished renovating my basement. So I am starting from scratch and need a new 55-60" TV, AV receiver and blu-ray player. My budget is around $3000 total for everything. What do I do?
post #1619 of 1679 Old 08-20-2014, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Not enough information regarding what you want for a TV. Smart, 3D, UHD, etc. That price will dictate what you might allow for a sound system and Blu-ray player. If you want 3d then Smart will most likely be included. If you want UHD then everything will be included, except for the blu-ray player of course. Examples, UHD 55" $1999 (Sony). No Smart and no 3D 60" for as little as $879 (LG). Smart + 3d 60" as little as $999 (LG). FYI both LG's are highly reviewed on Amazon. HTIB (Home Theater in a Box) have become quite good over the years and offer a big range in price and quality.
post #1620 of 1679 Old 08-20-2014, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Lightbulb Super Keen Eyesight Can Be A Disadvantage With Home Theater

THX recommends a seating distance of 1.33 X screen diagonal to give a pretty immersive 36 degrees of the viewers field of view taken up by the picture on the screen.

BTW, this still corresponds to sitting near the back of a commercial movie theater because that 1.33 X a 16X9 screens diagonal is equal to 2.72 X that same screen's
height, and the back row of a modern stadium seating movie theater is usually 3.0 screen heights back.

Now, some fellow AVS members have mentioned that they can see the pixels of a 55" 1080p TV from 9 feet. I'm really glad my vision is not that good, because for
average people, THX recommends a distance of 73.15 inches to give a nice wide 36
degree field of view, but some of my extremely sharp eyed, fellow AVS members can still see pixels on that size screen all the way up to 108 inches. This means that with 1080p, these eagle eyed folks are cheated out of enjoying the kind of immersive effect that movie addicts like me crave, unless maybe they might turn down the sharpness to an extent where they no longer notice pixels at that kind of immersive distance.

A review of a 73-inch Mitsubishi DLP RPTV mentioned how cinematic the set was when viewed from 8 feet. So when my buddy and I watched the Blu-ray of Apocalypse Now, I had moved the front seats so that our eyes were about an 8 ft distance from my 73-inch Mits, rather than the usual 9 feet 3 inches. This, combined with the great DTS-Master surround sound, made for a really impressive
experience. Since my friend had never seen the film, it was nice to be able to view it in the best manner that my set-up was capable of.

Can't wait til 85" OLED UHD TVs become available in 3 or 4 years, so that an even wider field of view will be possible withot seeing pixels. My sharp eyed AVS compatriots, really need UHD now, if they want to get a really good immersive experience without having to compromise sharpness to avoid seeing pixels.
Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
frontpage

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page