Theo Kalomirakis Debuts His Personal Home Theater - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes
post #1 of 67 Old 07-24-2014, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2122 Post(s)
Liked: 3447
Theo Kalomirakis Debuts His Personal Home Theater

At a party held in his Brooklyn loft on July 17, 2014, the world-renowned theater designer christens his own cinema sanctuary, the Roxy 2.0

-------

A couple of months ago, I had the great fortune of previewing Theo Kalomirakis' Roxy 2.0 theater in his Brooklyn loft. At the time, it was still a work in progress, albeit with most of the parts already in place. Now, it's a fully operational home theater. To celebrate the grand opening of the Roxy 2.0, Theo threw a party, and I was there to see its official debut on July 17, 2014.

An overview of the party and Theo's spectacular Brookly loft, home of the Roxy 2.0.

Eight years in the making, Theo's latest theater is starkly different from the multi-million-dollar themed extravaganzas he's designed for the super-rich. The Roxy 2.0 is meant to serve as a showcase for a more pragmatic approach to home-theater design and construction, while still preserving the trademark elements of a Theo Kalomirakis home theater—an environment that lets you get lost in the experience.

At the event, I spent some time talking about the future of home theater with a number of guests, including Angelica Stalman, Vice President of Marketing at Kaleidescape. The Roxy 2.0 uses a Kaleidescape Cinema One as one of its primary sources, and that includes Blu-ray-quality downloads from the Kaleidescape store. As Angelica explained it, Kaleidescape is positioning itself as the primary provider of the highest-quality movie downloads available—actual Blu-ray quality. In fact, the company recently settled a longstanding legal battle with numerous studios over ripping DVDs, which will allow Kaleidescape to significantly increase the size of its catalog of Blu-ray quality titles. For AV enthusiasts who want the convenience of the connected home theater along with the quality of disc-based content, Kaleidescape's solution is uniquely compelling.

"Theo's new home theater provides that perfect platform to showcase how far home-theater technologies have come in delivering an immersive movie-watching experience, bringing together both quality and convenience. It simply doesn't get any better than this." - Cheena Srinivasan, founder and CEO of Kaleidescape

Another view of the party and Theo's loft.

In the world of home theater, expensive and high-end are always relative concepts. To many movie lovers, the prices of the components in Theo's relatively modest home theater are still in the high-end category—just take a look at Theo's partners in building the Roxy 2.0: Kaleidescape, Digital Projection, Stewart Filmscreen, California Audio Technologies, SH Acoustics, Crestron, and Prima Cinema. That is a very different price bracket compared to a system based on a premium AVR and an Epson projector. Even so, a significant element of Theo's approach to the Roxy 2.0 was keeping the cost of the room itself down, while still providing an optimum environment for home theater.

The Roxy 2.0 with the lights dimmed.

The Roxy 2.0 with the lights on.

Theo readily admits that the AV gear in his theater is out of most people's price range, including his own. Fortunately, that's one of the perks that comes from inventing the concept of home theater—in exchange for hosting an occasional demo for his partners' clients, Theo gets to have top-notch equipment in his rack. However, the room he designed provides the same overall benefits—a dedicated space that isolates the viewer from distraction—regardless of the equipment used within it.

Theo's rack, front and back.

According to Theo, the epicenter of enthusiasm for extravagant home theaters is no longer located in the USA. Instead, he says places like China, India, and Dubai are among the new hotspots. That doesn't mean home theater is dead in the US, but it has evolved. It's almost as if home theaters are following the same evolutionary path as commercial theaters—as movies themselves become more immersive, the need to wow the audience with architecture decreases. Instead, technical considerations form the foundation for the latest home-theater designs.

Furthermore, even at the ultra-high end, costs are dropping. For example, IMAX, in partnership with TCL, will be offering a private IMAX package in China for about $400,000—and that's for a complete system including, audio gear, video-processing gear, 4K projection, and a giant screen. In the US, the current cost of a private IMAX is in the millions.

Six years ago, during the real-estate bubble, home theaters were standard features in new luxury homes. Today, the trend seems to be more toward casual viewing on a large flat-panel TV. Theo wants to help people reclaim the magic of cinema by promoting the idea of dedicated home-theater environments—a concept that he pioneered.

"With more and more people viewing movies on laptops, video tablets, and cell phones, and in rooms filled with distractions, most of the qualities that make a film great are compromised in exchange for quick access and convenience," says Kalomirakis. "Consumers today are on the verge of losing the majestic experience that happens only when they devote their full attention to a movie, in a room designed to put them right in the middle of the action."

In my own experience writing about home theater, I've run into a number of AVS members who have achieved remarkable results in their basements, on very tight budgets. In light of that experience, and having experienced home theaters designed by Keith Yates and Theo Kalomirakis, I have to ask: In this modern era of inexpensive 1080p projectors, ubiquitous 1080p streaming, cheap Blu-ray players, and websites like Monoprice, Parts Express, and Amazon—are designer home theaters worth the investment? Of course, there are many small details that go into a proper home theater, and not everyone is willing or able to expend the effort to design and build their own space. Besides, Theo's minimalist theater design also looks a lot nicer than most DIY spaces I've visited, especially the way it hides all those speakers and subs.

It will be interesting to see if the Roxy 2.0 can spark interest in relatively affordable yet high-end home theaters. One thing is for sure—the enthusiasm at Theo's event was infectious. I hope the Roxy 2.0 inspires people to take a greater interest in their AV viewing and listening environment.

Theo, at the party, in his Brooklyn loft's garden.

Since the event was really about the theater itself, here is a list of the equipment that went into Theo's Roxy 2.0:

Contributors to the theater's construction

Chris Wylie of Seal Solutions—AV Integrator
Jakub Paszynin of Teknamat—Theater Builder
Marc Cote and Steve Haas of SH Acoustics—Theater Acoustician and Audio Calibrator

Sources

Prima Cinema movie server
Kaleidescape Cinema One movie server
Oppo BDP-103D Blu-ray player
Panasonic DMP-BD60 region-free Blu-ray player
Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD player

Projector

Digital Projection M-Vision Cine LED 1000 projector
Panamorph anamorphic lens

Screen

10-foot (diagonal) Stewart Filmscreen Studiotek 130 CineCurve 2.35:1, acoustically transparent with variable masking

AV Electronics

Crestron Procise preamp
CAT power amps (2)
CAT DSP
Symetrix SumNet DSP

Speakers

CAT CMBX8.7 Trinity 2005 architectural speakers (7)
CAT CMBXS4 Miramar 2005 architectural subwoofers (12)

Automation & Control

Crestron DM-MD8X8 8x8 4K multi-source switcher (1)
Crestron DM-MD32X32 4K multi-source AV switcher
Crestron DMC-HD-DSP HDMI input card w/downmixing for DM switchers (4)
Crestron DMC-VID-RCA-D RCA analog-video input card w/SPDIF audio for DM switchers (2)
Crestron DMC-VID-RCA-A RCA analog-video input card w/analog audio for DM switchers (2)
Crestron DMCO-23 output card for DM-MD8X8 & DM-MD32X32, provides 2 DM CAT5 w/1 HDMI & 2 receivers (1)
Crestron DM-RMC-100 digital media CAT5 receiver & room controller (2)
Crestron TPMC-3X wireless remote controls (2)
Crestron TPS-6XNL-Black wireless remote control (1)
Crestron CEN-HPRFGW wireless gateway for TPS-6XNL-Black remote (1)
Crestron CEN-WAP-ABG-POE-PWE wall mount wireless access point for TPMC-3x remotes (1)
Crestron CNXRMC CAT5 video receiver for kitchen and master bedroom control (2)

Cabling

Monster 25ft HDMI (2)
Monster 12-2 speaker wire
Monster CAT6a
Crestron Cresnet cable

Seating

Cinematech Valentino series

Mark Henninger

Last edited by imagic; 07-31-2014 at 12:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 Old 07-24-2014, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Now thats what i call cable management!

post #3 of 67 Old 07-24-2014, 05:10 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked: 1263
Clean and slick. I like it!

Snazzy place too. I'd have to buy some nice clothes before I step into a place like that.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #4 of 67 Old 07-24-2014, 06:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 61
nice
post #5 of 67 Old 07-24-2014, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 125
I see discussion about the philosophy but nothing about the performance.
Did he fire the thing up?
Dark Matter and peschiNL like this.

post #6 of 67 Old 07-24-2014, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Really nice cable management! I wanna know, where are all the subs?
post #7 of 67 Old 07-24-2014, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
In fact, the company recently settled a longstanding legal battle with numerous studios over ripping DVDs, which will allow Kaleidescape to significantly to increase the size of its catalog of Blu-ray quality titles.
Gee, not much of a settlement in their favor:

As a result of the agreement, Kaleidescape systems sold after November 14, 2014, will no longer import CSS-protected DVDs.

I do agree, Mr. Kalomirakis' theater is very impressive. Though I'm surprised for a system this costly he'd settle for a $10,000 projector. (The Prima server is $35K, last time I checked.)

Last edited by Marc Wielage; 07-24-2014 at 08:56 PM.
post #8 of 67 Old 07-24-2014, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3258 Post(s)
Liked: 1112
Theo is a big movie buff; his DVD and Blu-ray movie collection is one of the largest I've ever heard of.
He's big time into Special Editions, and has several copies/versions of the same flick.

He seems to be a really down-to-earth kind of guy, and cinema history runs deep in his blood; good for the brain, for the knowledge, for the intellectual food, for the entertainment, for the balance, for the emotional satisfaction, for mankind, for its evolution/understanding, ... for the equilibrium/stability/freedom of the senses.
post #9 of 67 Old 07-25-2014, 02:08 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post
I have a special visit planned in a few weeks, to see what it can really do. There were some demos at the party, but I did not partake. I saw/heard it in action during my previous visit, it's slick.

Mark Henninger
post #10 of 67 Old 07-25-2014, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
Gee, not much of a settlement in their favor:

As a result of the agreement, Kaleidescape systems sold after November 14, 2014, will no longer import CSS-protected DVDs.

I do agree, Mr. Kalomirakis' theater is very impressive. Though I'm surprised for a system this costly he'd settle for a $10,000 projector. (The Prima server is $35K, last time I checked.)
Kaleidescape clearly thought the right move was to give up the lawsuit pertaining to DVD ripping right,s in order to gain download rights for Blu-ray and DVD quality content from more studios (currently it's only WB and Lions Gate). In the long run, that's going to be the right move. Most HT aficionados are interested in Blu-ray quality, and the DVD battle was limiting the selection of online-delivered Blu-ray quality content.

As for the projector... as I understand it, it is potentially the item that gets upgraded the soonest. After all, at some point soon, ubiquitous UHD/4K is coming to a home theater near you.

Mark Henninger

Last edited by imagic; 07-25-2014 at 02:14 AM.
post #11 of 67 Old 07-25-2014, 03:04 AM

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Kaleidescape clearly thought the right move was to give up the lawsuit pertaining to DVD ripping right,s in order to gain download rights for Blu-ray and DVD quality content from more studios (currently it's only WB and Lions Gate).
Yikes, that's not a good selection. I agree, if the studios would provide true Blu-ray quality downloads, lots of people would pay for it and it'd satisfy everybody: the fans, the dealers, and the studios. They can argue about piracy, but jesus, at least Kaleidescape was trying to be upfront and honest about it.

Quote:
As for the projector... as I understand it, it is potentially the item that gets upgraded the soonest. After all, at some point soon, ubiquitous UHD/4K is coming to a home theater near you.
That's true, but I'm just surprised a theater that looks like it cost $500K has got a $10K projector. I would've expected something a lot more spiffy.
post #12 of 67 Old 07-25-2014, 05:57 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Fantastic and I agree amazing cable management

Frank 👍

Frank
post #13 of 67 Old 07-25-2014, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would be interested to know about lighting, especially where the blue glow comes from, as I cannot see the led anywhere.
post #14 of 67 Old 07-25-2014, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I'm lost for words.
post #15 of 67 Old 07-25-2014, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by manuetdeo View Post
Now thats what i call cable management!

Yea, but it looks like a nightmare to replace a bad cable.
Marc Wielage likes this.
post #16 of 67 Old 07-25-2014, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Smile

Whoever did the lighting for the loft and the home theater is a genius.
post #17 of 67 Old 07-25-2014, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:

Eight years in the making, Theo's latest theater is starkly different from the multi-million-dollar themed extravaganzas he's designed for the super-rich. The Roxy 2.0 is meant to serve as a showcase for a more pragmatic approach to home-theater design and construction, while still preserving the trademark elements of a Theo Kalomirakis home theater—an environment that lets you get lost in the experience.

and the disclaimer

Theo readily admits that the AV gear in his theater is out of most people's price range, including his own.

and then the reality

Six years ago, during the real-estate bubble, home theaters were standard features in new luxury homes. Today, the trend seems to be more toward casual viewing on a large flat-panel TV. Theo wants to help people reclaim the magic of cinema by promoting the idea of dedicated home-theater environments—a concept that he pioneered.

No wonder the tide has turned to latest trend (AKA back to the norm). Kind of hard to swim against the tide.
Marc Wielage likes this.
post #18 of 67 Old 07-25-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Nice report, beautiful home and a very slick looking home theater.

One vital statistic missing from the equipment list: how big an image is Theo watching? What's the screen size?

As for the relevance of fancy dedicated home theaters, I'm not plugged into the industry but it certainly seems like they have lost momentum.

Aside from the rise of flat-panels (and tablets etc) perhaps it is partially due to, as Chris points out, the easier, cheaper availability of lots of the equipment like projectors. Someone can pay very little for a projector and screen, throw it up and most people go "wow" and are very happy.
No one thinks you have to go pay a professional to do all this. Though if you are rich, then you DO pay people to do this, because that's what you do when you are rich!

Just from personal experience, I like being social and so I don't like the 'isolation' feel of a dedicated home theater. But my other side is utterly dedicated to achieving high performance in audio and video, so my own home theater build was a project in satisfying those two criteria.

Someone like Theo could do just the same for people. Even if someone doesn't want a separate, dedicated fancy home theater, a pro like Theo could
produce a more social room with high performance. Though it seems that Theo is preferring to promote the isolated, dedicated theater room, just less fancy and more performance oriented. I also see great value there, in terms of the focus and single-minded intent of viewing a movie in such conditions.

It does seem weird that it took home theater so long to take off (I'm thinking projection especially) it finally became relevant, and now it's slipped back to "Hey guys, remember home theaters? Remember???"
post #19 of 67 Old 07-25-2014, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderstorm77 View Post
I would be interested to know about lighting, especially where the blue glow comes from, as I cannot see the led anywhere.
It appears to be cove lighting to me. There is a gap between the edge of the ceiling and the walls, where the walls extend up at least another 6-12" past the main ceiling. The lights are typically installed in a pocket above the ceiling, so that you can't see the direct source of light, and the light is directed down towards the walls.

In some cases, people will use crown molding to conceal the lights, rather than building a cove around the perimeter of the ceiling. It's easier as it doesn't require a two-tier ceiling approach. The ceiling would run wall to wall like it normally does. Then, instead of installing the crown molding tight to the ceiling, you attach it to the wall, leaving a gap of a few inches between the molding and the ceiling. The lights are installed on the wall, behind the molding, and the light is directed up towards the ceiling.

Last edited by HockeyoAJB; 07-25-2014 at 11:40 AM.
post #20 of 67 Old 07-25-2014, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 1447
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
Nice report, beautiful home and a very slick looking home theater.

One vital statistic missing from the equipment list: how big an image is Theo watching? What's the screen size?
In fact, it is in the equipment list: 130 inches, 2.35:1 with masking.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #21 of 67 Old 07-25-2014, 11:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
In fact, it is in the equipment list: 130 inches, 2.35:1 with masking.
Oh right, sorry. I realise I saw "Studiotek 130" and the second "130" didn't compute in my tiny brain.

Is this diagonal?

It's always tough to know, especially when someone is using a 2:35:1 screen, whether they are measuring the width vs diagonal. Personally for 2:35:1 I prefer a width measurement.
post #22 of 67 Old 07-25-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 24
So Theo no longer has Laserdisc?

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
post #23 of 67 Old 07-25-2014, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
... I do agree, Mr. Kalomirakis' theater is very impressive. Though I'm surprised for a system this costly he'd settle for a $10,000 projector. (The Prima server is $35K, last time I checked.)

He has some comment on his blog regarding the projector; DPI M-Vision Cine 1000 LED.

http://theosroundtable.com/theo-blog...in-my-theater/
post #24 of 67 Old 07-25-2014, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Some questions for Mr. Kalomirakis, if he doesn't mind...

1) Do you keep a staff of full-time designers that work with you or do you do every bit of the design work, yourself?

2) When you do a job for a client, do you typically work directly for the owner or are you a consultant/subcontractor for the architect? I'm guessing it varies from project to project? When you design screening rooms for high-end apartment buildings, do you (or your employees) typically do all of the drawings and generation of the B.O.M. or do you just do a walkthru and some phone calls to give the architect input on what should be done and then leave it to them to make the final decisions and manage the construction?

3) Have you ever considered doing a home improvement type reality show, focused specifically on home theater builds? I know I'd watch it and with the amount time my wife watches Property Brothers, I could probably get her hooked. Then, instead of seeing kitchens, living rooms, and bathrooms redone and telling me we need to redo ours, she might catch the "home theater" bug. It would be a great service to men and their WAF, everywhere!
Goalline and dabotsonline like this.
post #25 of 67 Old 07-25-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Not familiar with CAT. Was curious about the amplifiers, but there was not much info there.

Seems like it's California Audio Technology. Their web site seems to be all fluff and no content sadly

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #26 of 67 Old 07-25-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
It appears to be cove lighting to me. There is a gap between the edge of the ceiling and the walls, where the walls extend up at least another 6-12" past the main ceiling. The lights are typically installed in a pocket above the ceiling, so that you can't see the direct source of light, and the light is directed down towards the walls.

In some cases, people will use crown molding to conceal the lights, rather than building a cove around the perimeter of the ceiling. It's easier as it doesn't require a two-tier ceiling approach. The ceiling would run wall to wall like it normally does. Then, instead of installing the crown molding tight to the ceiling, you attach it to the wall, leaving a gap of a few inches between the molding and the ceiling. The lights are installed on the wall, behind the molding, and the light is directed up towards the ceiling.
Yep, it is cove style lighting. You can check out an image of the LED strip mounted just above the lower ceiling in the slideshow coverage by ElectronicHouse Magazine. Looks pretty slick.

http://www.electronichouse.com/artic...r_in_new_york/

Also, I to noticed no mention of LD or any LD players in the equipment list. In Theo's DVD/BD storage rack room before the theater, there is an entire wall of mirrors that were actually doors covering his LD collection in the past. I wonder if he has replaced all the LD's with BD's now or given up.

Phil
post #27 of 67 Old 07-25-2014, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post
Not familiar with CAT. Was curious about the amplifiers, but there was not much info there.

Seems like it's California Audio Technology. Their web site seems to be all fluff and no content sadly
I'm puzzled by this as well. From what I can see from searching for images, many of their designs have some rather regrettable features such as no tweeter directivity control and horizontal MTM arrangements.

Theater room: Sony VPL HW30ES, DIY 100" screen with Seymour Centerstage XD, 5 Revel M105, 2 JBL Studio 210, 4 SVS SB12-NSD, Anthem MRX-300
Living room: Panasonic TC-P60VT60, 3 KEF LS50, Pioneer SW-8, Marantz NR1603
post #28 of 67 Old 07-25-2014, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

CAT amplifiers are designed by Morris Kessler and built by ATI.

CAT builds their own drivers. CAT is more of a bespoke, custom installer/supplier.
post #29 of 67 Old 07-25-2014, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3258 Post(s)
Liked: 1112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan View Post
So Theo no longer has Laserdisc?
So many great Blu-ray movies so little time...

* http://theosroundtable.com/theo-blog...t-first-sight/

** http://johnsciacca.webs.com/apps/blo...er-legend-pt-2

Last edited by NorthSky; 07-25-2014 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Pic & links
post #30 of 67 Old 07-25-2014, 05:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

LED Lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderstorm77 View Post
Thanks for noticing Thunderstorm The LED lighting was from Numinus. We provided the LED strips and SD16 controllers which interface with the Crestron system.
Sorry we could not make the open house! Looks awesome!!

Lisa Lynn
Star Girl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
frontpage