post #271 of 515 Old 08-22-2014, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
You haven't heard Atmos for the home yet have you? I have so I feel more qualified than you, at this time, to offer a valid opinion.
You are, but that does not mean that opinions posted by other attendees, which differed from your are not also valid.
What is invalid, is the attempt to make this about me and not about the suitability and value for others. I think we know where you stand and you do not really know where I stand, although, you think you do

Quote:
You haven't heard Atmos for the home yet have you? I have so I feel more qualified than you, at this time, to offer a valid opinion.
What is the purpose of you continually repeating that people can detect differences between Atmos speakers and ceiling speakers?
Simple, to help others who may be attempting to determine the efficacy of one solution over the other.
If you attend a demo where you could not tell the difference, one might infer that that is the case for them.
However, if other attendees easily could tell a difference, then the choice for an individual is less clear.
That is where we are right now.

Quote:
You have no personal experience of it so all you have to go on is what others have to say. I can tell you that I too can distinguish between Atmos speakers and ceiling speakers. So what? Both give a very good presentation of the benefits of Atmos. You'd know this if you had heard it.

I would know that it could do in a demo presented by Dolby in their venue. I would not know it all

Quote:
I can also distinguish the difference between chocolate ice cream and strawberry ice cream. If I prefer chocolate, does that somehow invalidate the entire concept of strawberry ice cream?
It depends, am I having pie with that

Quote:
Many have expressed a preference for Atmos speakers. As you can't express a preference unless you can discern a difference, then the ability to discern a difference seems blindingly obvious, and not worth repeating time after time.
At the time of your first demo, you made a point that the attendees at the London demo could not tell the difference.
Times change.

Quote:
I'd respectfully suggest that you try to get a demo and then you will have a much clearer understanding.
When the opportunities present itself, I will.

Perhaps you should create a thread for those who have attended the demos, where it would be more appropriate to limit discussion.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 515 Old 08-22-2014, 09:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2138 Post(s)
Liked: 2079
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

I would know that it could do in a demo presented by Dolby in their venue. I would not know it all
Does this come back to your formerly expressed belief that Dolby are trying to "fool us"? The Dolby demo was in a room very similar to many dedicated rooms I have seen, both in size and wrt to treatments etc. The gear used was, at the first demo, all Onkyo, and at the second other typical HT gear. Throughout I, and others, have been impressed at the transparency and honesty of Dolby staff. So I have no reason to believe that what I heard on both demos was anything different to what I would hear in my own HT. And, of course, you haven't heard it anywhere.

Quote:
At the time of your first demo, you made a point that the attendees at the London demo could not tell the difference.
Times change.
Baloney. I said that one member of the audience could hear no difference. The report is here if you want to verify what I said:

Quote:
When the opportunities present itself, I will.

Perhaps you should create a thread for those who have attended the demos, where it would be more appropriate to limit discussion.

- Rich
No attempt to limit discussion. If I was trying to limit discussion I'd hardly be replying to you. The point is, you seem to have very strong opinions, but they are based on zero personal experience of Atmos for the home. I prefer to take on board the opinions of those who have at least heard it, as opposed to the opinions of those who haven't. That just makes sense to me.
post #273 of 515 Old 08-22-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Does this come back to your formerly expressed belief that Dolby are trying to "fool us"? The Dolby demo was in a room very similar to many dedicated rooms I have seen, both in size and wrt to treatments etc. The gear used was, at the first demo, all Onkyo, and at the second other typical HT gear. Throughout I, and others, have been impressed at the transparency and honesty of Dolby staff. So I have no reason to believe that what I heard on both demos was anything different to what I would hear in my own HT. And, of course, you haven't heard it anywhere.

"Fool" is not my word. It was in the Attendees post, which of course, you know already.
I expect Dolby to be enthusiastic about their new technology. Nothing wrong with that.
So enthusiastic, that during there demo they expected hands to be raised.

Quote:
Baloney. I said that one member of the audience could hear no difference. The report is here if you want to verify what I said:

From this thread:

Quote:
Yep. Everyone I spoke to in London was impressed. And the preference in London was for the Atmos speakers.

Sounds like you had a convincing Demo.

From the first post:

Quote:
When I got home, I watched the same scene from Star Trek on my system, while my memory was still fresh. The next day, I received a PM from Jwhip, who played the clip on his system when he got home. He said, "In my system, the music opening to the film was silky smooth, much better than anything we heard yesterday." Regarding the surround effects, Jwhip mentioned, "I have my surround speakers above ear level, pointed down at the coach, and agree with Ralph on that point. In fact, the flying arrows at the beginning of the film were as convincing as they were in the Atmos."
Since were not there, you cannot have an opinion on these results in NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Henninger's impressions from the New York demo
My 7.1 setup, featuring Dolby PL IIz with front-height channels, immersed me in the Blu-ray's Dolby TrueHD soundtrack just fine. There was precious little to differentiate it from what I heard in the Atmos mix. I can only conclude that proper setup and calibration trumps new formats when it comes to the overall surround-sound experience. That is why it's vitally important that Atmos demos take place on properly set up and calibrated systems—it's not a blunt tool. Without a proper demo, I predict that most enthusiasts will not feel a strong urge to upgrade an existing 7.1 system just for Atmos—the format needs to up the suspension-of-disbelief ante. Achieving that requires a seamless soundfield, and I look forward to an Atmos demo that convincingly pulls it off.
Some demos are convincing others are not.
Different rooms, different attendees.
The only logical conclusion: YMMV. Do you disagree?

There is no reason to believe those issues could also occur in users homes.
Therefore, tempered enthusiasm is sensible.

Quote:
No attempt to limit discussion. If I was trying to limit discussion I'd hardly be replying to you. The point is, you seem to have very strong opinions, but they are based on zero personal experience of Atmos for the home. I prefer to take on board the opinions of those who have at least heard it, as opposed to the opinions of those who haven't. That just makes sense to me.
Sure, but when I quote the opinions from this thread, they are grafted onto me.
It works like this:

Step 1: Ignore quotes posts from attendees. For example, the term "fooled" comes from an attendee, not me.
Step 2: Question my motives in doing so.
Step 3: Point out that I was not there. Most often by asking me if I were, as if you did not know already.

Using your analogy, the NY demo was not all peaches and ice cream.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #274 of 515 Old 08-22-2014, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
"Fool" is not my word. It was in the Attendees post, which of course, you know already.
I expect Dolby to be enthusiastic about their new technology. Nothing wrong with that.
So enthusiastic, that during there demo they expected hands to be raised.

From this thread:

Sounds like you had a convincing Demo.

From the first post:

Since were not there, you cannot have an opinion on these results in NY.

Different rooms, different attendees.
The only logical conclusion: YMMV. Do you disagree?

There is no reason to believe those issues could also occur in users homes.
Therefore, tempered enthusiasm is sensible.

Sure, but when I quote the opinions from this thread, they are grafted onto me.
It works like this:

Step 1: Ignore quotes posts from attendees. For example, the term "fooled" comes from an attendee, not me.
Step 2: Question my motives in doing so.
Step 3: Point out that I was not there. Most often by asking me if I were, as if you did not know already.

Using your analogy, the NY demo was not all peaches and ice cream.

- Rich
I'm going to bow out now - it's a pointless discussion. Nobody is disagreeing with you that Atmos speakers and ceiling speakers can be distinguished one from the other, by many, or even most, people. And nobody, other than you, seems to care. Feel free to have the last word, but I won’t be replying.
nucky likes this.
post #275 of 515 Old 08-22-2014, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm going to bow out now - it's a pointless discussion. Nobody is disagreeing with you that Atmos speakers and ceiling speakers can be distinguished one from the other, by many, or even most, people. And nobody, other than you, seems to care. Feel free to have the last word, but I won’t be replying.
Reminds me of the Saab ad: "most people who test drive a Saab buy a Saab"

Those considering Atmos, weighing the benefits, and trying to select the appropriate may care.
This asking if ceiling speakers or Atmos speakers are work best for their installation may care.
Folks concerned with the quality as well as quantity of sound may care (full range verses restricted range).
There is a chance that this may include others beside me.

Some demos were convincing others less so.
My commends, nor the impressions in the first post are limited to Atmos speakers, it was the entire Atmos demonstration, so that is a red herring.

IMO, technical discussions should refrain from suppositions into a persons beliefs or personal feelings.
For example, the term "nobody" is immediately identifiable as inaccurate.

Thank you.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

post #276 of 515 Old 08-22-2014, 10:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked: 999
Quote:
Quote:
Some demos were convincing others less so.
Convincing of what? Sounds being heard above the listeners?

Sanjay
post #277 of 515 Old 08-22-2014, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
With proper DSP, one can add diffusion to direct radiating speakers. Reducing diffusion of the bounce, not so much.

This is clearly strictly true "globally" if we only examine the question of entropy in an audio-as-information context . . . but that does not foreclose the question of whether a less diffuse perception might not be obtained "locally" at the MLP. I believe it might be possible--at least theoretically--to add "corrective content" to several of the other Height and|or Main layer speakers in order to do this using algorithms similar to those which allow Yamaha and Pioneer to create Virtual Height speakers (using only Main layer speakers). The obvious drawbacks would seem to be higher DSP computational load and|or larger time interval granularity updating the sound field, and perhaps most importantly a smaller sweet spot.
_

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

Last edited by SoundChex; 08-22-2014 at 11:00 AM.
post #278 of 515 Old 08-22-2014, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Point/Counterpoint

Come on guys, don't hold back. Tell us what you really think...

Point-Counterpoint

I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me.

avsforum Members Atmos Configuration Spreadsheet
post #279 of 515 Old 08-22-2014, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 19
This whole thing Atmos is just snake medicine for suckers. To me mono has always been king. That is the way sound is in true life. All you need is just one good speaker in front and let the room bounce the sound around as in real life. People love tp spend money though. I guess it keeps the economy going.
post #280 of 515 Old 08-22-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
Convincing of what? Sounds being heard above the listeners?
For complete context, read the first post of this thread:

Dolby Demos Atmos for Cinema and Home

Especially, the last paragraph.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

post #281 of 515 Old 08-22-2014, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
It's going to depend on the intent of the producer. Some music soundtracks are mixed as if you were sitting in an audience listening to performers on a stage. Some place the listener among the musicians. Others are even more elaborate artistic productions, with varying musical effects in all available channels.

One Atmos + Auro audio BD title already has been announced. MAGNIFICAT is to be released in October by 2L.

See Dolby Demos Atmos for Cinema and Home

which links to a preview at
http://www.audiophile.no/music/recor...uro-3d-from-2l

The title is listed on 2L's site on the page
http://www.2l.no/pages/preview.html
Selden I listened to the UTube of MAGNIFICAT on my office two channel system. I'll bet listening to that ensemble in that venue would have been special. If Atmos can bring the best out of a live recording, this would probably be a great start.

I'm thinking about two great live performances I've been to that I happen to have on Blu-Ray. The first is probably the best concert I've ever been to, the Eagles Farewell 1 Tour, outdoors in the mountains of California. I had no idea music could sound that good outdoors.

Chris Botti in Clearwater was excellent in a theater that was very good acoustically.

Also I have Boz Scaggs' Greatest hits live from the Great American Music Hall in San Francisco. This was recorded in 2004 with the brand new Hi Def cameras of HD Net. It's in DTS on DVD. This is a recording where everything is perfect.

I get nothing but raves about these three in my 9.1 system.

So technically what would I be getting additionally if they were recorded in Atmos and I had a good Atmos setup?

The Eagles was outdoors and I think recorded outdoors in Melbourne. So no ceiling.

The second two were in acoustically great venues.

Am I missing reflected sounds off of the ceiling that an Atmos recording can provide? I'm guessing outdoor recording benefits of Atmos would be dubious.

Patrick
post #282 of 515 Old 08-22-2014, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 466
"Of course" Atmos would provide the overhead reflections!

Surely outside recordings would include the sounds of hawks overhead (if they aren't scared off by all the racket)

More seriously, what you wind up hearing will depend on where the microphones were placed and what the people mixing the audio decide to include.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #283 of 515 Old 08-22-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
For complete context, read the first post of this thread:

Dolby Demos Atmos for Cinema and Home

Especially, the last paragraph.
Why won't you answer my question in your own words? What was "not" convincing or "less so" convincing in the demos? Why can't you articulate that?

Sanjay
post #284 of 515 Old 08-22-2014, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I admit I haven't read through this entire thread, but I had a question about ceiling height and diminishing returns.

Ceiling height seems to vary greatly from one HT to the next. Personally, I wired my HT for (4) Atmos overhead speakers...before knowing all that much about Atmos. My ceiling height is about 7'-10". I am planning on using speakers with as wide a dispersion as possible, but I am still concerned about the lower than ideal ceiling height.

Did any questions come up about ceiling height? Or Audyessy correction?

-
My Theater Build

Equipment List: Denon X5200, Epson 6030, 120" Carada cinemascope screen, Panamorph U480, Oppo-103, Emotiva XPA-5, SVS PB12-NSD, LSA Statement LCR & surround speakers, Def Tech ProCinema 1000 rears & front wides, DefTech DI5.5R Atmos overheads, Grafik Eye 3106
post #285 of 515 Old 08-22-2014, 12:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Collins View Post
This is a recording where everything is perfect.

I get nothing but raves about these three in my 9.1 system.

So technically what would I be getting additionally if they were recorded in Atmos and I had a good Atmos setup?

The Eagles was outdoors and I think recorded outdoors in Melbourne. So no ceiling.
If you start from the premise that a recording was already perfect, then there is nothing Atmos can add (not possible to improve on perfection). Likewise, an outdoor performance where nothing was heard above the listener plane, there is not much Atmos can add (except better rendering, but even then, not on 1st gen gear).

If you're looking for specific titles where Atmos would have been of little to no benefit, then that's not hard to find. The same can be done for surround sound in general, by pointing to recent Best Picture Oscar winner 'The Artist'.

Sanjay
post #286 of 515 Old 08-22-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Why won't you answer my question in your own words? What was "not" convincing or "less so" convincing in the demos? Why can't you articulate that?
I could but even when I quote attendees, I get "Have you heard an Atmos demo" usually from folks that are well aware that I have not.
If you would like to know what I found interesting, I will bold them for you:

Quote:
The end of the home theater demo involved the "Leaf" trailer. Dolby did not tell the audience if the clip utilized the ceiling speakers or reflected sound. When it finished playing, the presenter asked for a show of hands if we thought the clip used ceiling speakers—nobody raised their hand. Evidently, the difference between overhead and reflected Atmos overhead channels was too obvious to fool anyone. [Editor's note: the same thing happened with the group in LA—no one thought the overhead speakers were being used.]

I chatted with Ralph Potts about the experience, especially since he gave the Blu-ray version of Star Trek: Into Darkness a perfect score of 100 for audio. Ralph mentioned that in many dedicated home theaters, the side and rear surrounds are above ear level, unlike in Dolby's home-theater demo. That somewhat diminished the advantage offered by the dedicated overhead channels. On the other hand, Ralph mentioned that he sees a lot more potential in Atmos than the Dolby demo was able to convey, and I agree. We need a better demonstration, in a dedicated home theater, to understand what Atmos can do.

As soon as the Dolby event ended, we headed over to Theo Kalomirakis' new home theater, the Roxy 2.0. Unfortunately, Ralph could not make it, but Chris Boylan, the editor of BigPictureBigSound.com came along. Chris was part of the group we were in during the demos at Dolby, so he had the same experience we did. We watched the scene from Star Trek on Blu-ray with the Dolby TrueHD 7.1 soundtrack. I thought Theo's system sounded better than the theatrical Atmos presentation at Dolby's screening room, and quite superior to Dolby's home theater presentation. Even so, I do think that Theo's theater could benefit from Atmos, as long as it improves upon an already excellent presentation.

When I got home, I watched the same scene from Star Trek on my system, while my memory was still fresh. The next day, I received a PM from Jwhip, who played the clip on his system when he got home. He said, "In my system, the music opening to the film was silky smooth, much better than anything we heard yesterday." Regarding the surround effects, Jwhip mentioned, "I have my surround speakers above ear level, pointed down at the coach, and agree with Ralph on that point. In fact, the flying arrows at the beginning of the film were as convincing as they were in the Atmos."

My 7.1 setup, featuring Dolby PL IIz with front-height channels, immersed me in the Blu-ray's Dolby TrueHD soundtrack just fine. There was precious little to differentiate it from what I heard in the Atmos mix. I can only conclude that proper setup and calibration trumps new formats when it comes to the overall surround-sound experience. That is why it's vitally important that Atmos demos take place on properly set up and calibrated systems—it's not a blunt tool. Without a proper demo, I predict that most enthusiasts will not feel a strong urge to upgrade an existing 7.1 system just for Atmos—the format needs to up the suspension-of-disbelief ante. Achieving that requires a seamless soundfield, and I look forward to an Atmos demo that convincingly pulls it off.
- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

post #287 of 515 Old 08-22-2014, 12:18 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
The mix is to blame.

Also it should be mentioned that 7.1 is perfectly capable of producing quite an excellent soundstage. Atmos with overhead speakers can only improve upon this further and it does.

Time to move on.
kbarnes701 likes this.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Last edited by Scott Simonian; 08-22-2014 at 12:21 PM.
post #288 of 515 Old 08-22-2014, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

<snip>

If you're looking for specific titles where Atmos would have been of little to no benefit, then that's not hard to find. The same can be done for surround sound in general, by pointing to recent Best Picture Oscar winner 'The Artist'.
Funny!
asarose247 likes this.

I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me.

avsforum Members Atmos Configuration Spreadsheet
post #289 of 515 Old 08-22-2014, 12:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I didn't ask you what you found interesting, instead I asked: What was "not" convincing or "less so" convincing in the demos?

This is the third time I've asked. Why won't you simply say what wasn't convincing?

Sanjay
post #290 of 515 Old 08-22-2014, 12:23 PM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
I didn't ask you what you found interesting, instead I asked: What was "not" convincing or "less so" convincing in the demos?

This is the third time I've asked. Why won't you simply say what wasn't convincing?
Quoted this because now I really want to know too.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

post #291 of 515 Old 08-22-2014, 12:34 PM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Collins View Post
outdoors in the mountains of California. I had no idea music could sound that good outdoors.
Dude, everything is better in the mountains of California.
post #292 of 515 Old 08-22-2014, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
I could but even when I quote attendees, I get "Have you heard an Atmos demo" usually from folks that are well aware that I have not.

Quote:
The end of the home theater demo involved the "Leaf" trailer. Dolby did not tell the audience if the clip utilized the ceiling speakers or reflected sound. When it finished playing, the presenter asked for a show of hands if we thought the clip used ceiling speakers—nobody raised their hand. Evidently, the difference between overhead and reflected Atmos overhead channels was too obvious to fool anyone. [Editor's note: the same thing happened with the group in LA—no one thought the overhead speakers were being used.]

Quote:
Atmos speakers from the diagram you posted are described as: "Reflected Sound Simulated Height Speakers".
This demonstration indicates that the simulation height speakers were easily distinguished from the ceiling speakers.
If the purpose was to demonstrate the inability to perceive the difference, that was not a good demonstration.

Quote:
I chatted with Ralph Potts about the experience, especially since he gave the Blu-ray version of Star Trek: Into Darkness a perfect score of 100 for audio. Ralph mentioned that in many dedicated home theaters, the side and rear surrounds are above ear level, unlike in Dolby's home-theater demo. That somewhat diminished the advantage offered by the dedicated overhead channels. On the other hand, Ralph mentioned that he sees a lot more potential in Atmos than the Dolby demo was able to convey, and I agree. We need a better demonstration, in a dedicated home theater, to understand what Atmos can do.
Atmos additions to systems with surrounds above ear level, may benefit less from Atmos than those at ear level.

Quote:

The efficacy of Atmos is not universal, some theaters achieved were as convincing as the Atmos demonstration.
I read into the mind of the author, but if the demonstration of Atmos was not superior to a home setup, that may factor into upgrade decisions.

Quote:
My take away, in a well laid out system, especially one with the surround channels about ear level, there was precious little benefit from Atmos demonstration.
That demonstration did not provide evidence to this attendee of that benefit.

The first release of Atmos benefits systems with ceiling channels. Atmos speakers may work but not in all installations.

3 inch paper cones add-ons may not tonally match all systems, a simple statement that RC can fix that is not convincing. RC cannot fix frequency response issues with speakers.

Top-mounted drivers with 180hz cutoff still have wide dispersion and direct sound will be presented to the user, so they will be localized to some extent.
Direct sound will also interact with the mains. Psycho-acoustics do not trump acoustics.
It can be pleasing, but if you want the overhead sound from overhead, then you know where your speaker should be.

Surround context is not limited to 180hz and above, so if mix has it above you, some may want it coming from up there.
Some will say, well you can't tell where it is coming from, so why the hell did the mixer put it there in the first place

I hope this helps advance the discussion and is not all about picking Rich apart.
To that end, I respectfully ask responses remain technical.

- Rich
mike_carton likes this.

Oppo Beta Group

Last edited by RichB; 08-22-2014 at 03:37 PM.
post #293 of 515 Old 08-22-2014, 01:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestoneman View Post
I admit I haven't read through this entire thread, but I had a question about ceiling height and diminishing returns.

Ceiling height seems to vary greatly from one HT to the next. Personally, I wired my HT for (4) Atmos overhead speakers...before knowing all that much about Atmos. My ceiling height is about 7'-10". I am planning on using speakers with as wide a dispersion as possible, but I am still concerned about the lower than ideal ceiling height.

Did any questions come up about ceiling height? Or Audyessy correction?
Ceiling height on the demos I attended was about 8 feet. I would think you are OK. Wide dispersion is good. Audyssey will work the way it has always worked - it's long since been able to EQ 11 speakers.
thestoneman likes this.
post #294 of 515 Old 08-22-2014, 03:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I could but...
Then do it and stop making excuses. What wasn't "convincing" at the demos? If you believe the impression of sound above the listener wasn't convincing, then just say so. Whatever it was you think wasn't convincing, say it.
Quote:
I hope this helps advance the discussion and is not all about picking Rich apart.
Asking you to support one claim isn't picking you apart.

The rest of your post barely makes sense.

Sanjay
post #295 of 515 Old 08-22-2014, 03:18 PM
Bass Enabler

One guy says, "it wasn't that much better than what I can do at home with convention 7.1 audio" is pretty much what I'm getting from all that.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #296 of 515 Old 08-22-2014, 03:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestoneman View Post
My ceiling height is about 7'-10". I am planning on using speakers with as wide a dispersion as possible, but I am still concerned about the lower than ideal ceiling height.
Your ceiling is within 2 inches of the typical 8-foot residential ceiling. Considering that's typical, Dolby would have taken that into account when adapting Atmos for home. So don't worry, your ceiling height will not be a problem.
thestoneman likes this.

Sanjay
post #297 of 515 Old 08-22-2014, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Then do it and stop making excuses. What wasn't "convincing" at the demos? If you believe the impression of sound above the listener wasn't convincing, then just say so. Whatever it was you think wasn't convincing, say it. Asking you to support one claim isn't picking you apart.

Three is a post that starts this thread where the poster states after hearing a Dolby Atmos demo, that they would like the hear a convincing demo.
Then you badger me about what that means. If you don't understand the OP, contact him.

Quote:
The rest of your post barely makes sense.

to you, which is not entirely my responsibility.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

post #298 of 515 Old 08-22-2014, 03:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
One guy says, "it wasn't that much better than what I can do at home with convention 7.1 audio" is pretty much what I'm getting from all that.
Right, it's the old tautology: I have speakers are above ear level so I already get sounds coming from above ear level, so Atmos isn't going to give me something I don't already have. Of course that leaves out the fact that it is surround information coming from above, not height information. By that logic, I could mount my centre speaker on the ceiling and have dialogue come from above, and then say that the Atmos version of Gravity isn't going to give me anything I don't already have.
Scott Simonian and kbarnes701 like this.

Sanjay
post #299 of 515 Old 08-22-2014, 03:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Then you badger me about what that means.
You kept repeating it without knowing what it means. If you did, then you would be able to answer a simple question: what wasn't "convincing" at the demo? Why can't you just name it?

Sanjay
post #300 of 515 Old 08-22-2014, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You kept repeating it without knowing what it means. If you did, then you would be able to answer a simple question: what wasn't "convincing" at the demo? Why can't you just name it?
I am convinced that the author of the article was not convinced that Atmos provided a significant benefit over his 7.1 system.
That may in part be due to quality of his system and the fact that the surround channels are already mounted above ear level.

Quote:
Without a proper demo, I predict that most enthusiasts will not feel a strong urge to upgrade an existing 7.1 system just for Atmos—the format needs to up the suspension-of-disbelief ante. Achieving that requires a seamless soundfield, and I look forward to an Atmos demo that convincingly pulls it off.
Based on this, Atmos did not provide a "seamless sound field", which the author finds important.

What do you think the author is saying?

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
frontpage

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page