Old 08-18-2014, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post
The Dolby screening room in Burbank is tuned in accordance to industry standards..

Personally I do find the room to be a little bright, but that's not unusual for a room that size with the speakers they use..

However, it is used for many events, and even for print/track checks.....

It is also a complete mixing stage where they have done several Atmos up mixes..

The demo's they used were as I've experienced them in other venues, including the ones I work in.

Star Trek is a loud mix from the get go.. while it might not be the best choice for a demo, it reproduced as intended.. this is the third actual theater I've heard the film in..

The trailers and Red Bull demo sounded fantastic...

Just my .02...
The room in NYC was painfully loud during the ST demo and annoyingly loud with the others. It may be industry standard but too loud nonetheless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2014, 03:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2129 Post(s)
Liked: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
Agreed,

- 2015 DTS-UHD

- 2016 AURO 3D

- 2017 Audyssey XT64.... yes technology changes every year!
Audyssey MultEQ XT64; that's a good one. ...Should work real nicely with both DTS-UHD and Auro-3D.

...More processing power from stronger and smaller chips for a true 3D escalation/exhilaration.

Now, with Dolby Atmos, can we use our own speaker modules to put atop our front mains and back surrounds?
Or do we have to purchase the ones they want us to buy?

Because I got tons of speakers already that I can easily modified to match the required angle when firing up to the ceiling. The Dolby Atmos receiver is the one that produces the DSP effect right?

The overhead speakers we can use any speakers of our liking, even those car coaxial ones we still have in our garages. ...And just get some nice enclosures for them from our own hands. I already have some of those.

* How to build an affordable Dolby Atmos home theater system without losing what's coming up next.
That would be the start of a future thread of mine. ...Next year, when DTS-UHD is in.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2313 Post(s)
Liked: 2154
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post
The ability to setup the individual receiver specifically to the location of a person's existing speakers is CRUCIAL for a proper setup. If they have not included this in the Atmos receiver, I would suggest everyone skip this nonsense and DO NOT BUY the receivers coming out.
Dolby don't agree with you on that. In fact, they specifically disagree with you. I won’t repeat what they told me in London but if you are interested it is in my report here.

Quote:
Up-firing speakers... again simply silly nonsense. If you are buying these, then you are simply too lazy or simply not interested enough in a home theater to care to do it right
Again, this is not true. Atmos speakers are an entirely valid alternative and almost everyone who has heard them, compared with ceiling speakers, indicated a preference for the Atmos speakers. Laziness and lack of interest is an incorrect speculation on your part.

Quote:
If you can't do ceiling speakers or sufficient numbers of speakers, skip this whole concept of object oriented sound. You will simply be wasting your money.
Again, this is entirely untrue. Have you heard the Atmos speakers?
Old 08-18-2014, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 142
I personally wouldn't touch any of this tech with a 10ft pole until DTS has had it's say. You know it's coming, and soon so why would anyone mess with an AVR that can only decode one version of a format which we know will have a competitor.

My current 7.2 setup has my surrounds at ear level but my surround backs (polk OWM3's) hanging from the ceiling about 5 feet behind me pointed at the MLP. Would I be best served buying only 2 ceiling speakers to go in the ceiling in front of the MLP and treating the system as a 5.1.4 when using the object audio tracks?
Old 08-18-2014, 07:17 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:

Up-firing speakers... again simply silly nonsense.
I thought the same thing but everyone keeps saying that it worked better than ceiling. I haven't heard anything but I still will proceed with ceiling speakers. Same all around as my fronts and rears.

Frank
Old 08-18-2014, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
I thought the same thing but everyone keeps saying that it worked better than ceiling. I haven't heard anything but I still will proceed with ceiling speakers. Same all around as my fronts and rears.
The NY Demo was able to easily discern the up-firing speakers from the ceiling speakers in the first post.

Quote:
In our demo, the ceiling-mounted speakers sounded clearer, and there was a greater sense of overhead space. Also, the timbre match with the main speakers was good enough to avoid distraction. The reflected sound was more diffuse; to my ears, it sounded processed—like a low-bitrate MP3. In addition, the reflected sound did not create as convincing an illusion of sound coming from directly overhead. I wonder if the speaker placement—directly against the walls—was responsible for that discrepancy.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Parasound A51 Black (for sale) | Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A21 & A31 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15

Last edited by RichB; 08-18-2014 at 07:54 AM.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

As one of the AVS members there, RichB is right. The up firing speakers had a flat and wider sound but with no vertical depth. As an example, the helicopter blades sounded more diffuse and close to your head. With the ceiling speakers, the image was much tighter and the helicopter sounded as if it was much higher over your head. However, the could have even the result of poor speaker placement in the room. My feeling is that this was the case nd that the up firing speakers is the way to go for most people. I look forward to investigating this further when there are more venders signed up and products actually available. I also look forward to seeing what DTS does as Atmos at Home is clearly a challenge to their Blu-ray dominance.
RichB likes this.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:29 AM
Okv

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Thank you for a very informative review of the Atmos, I was looking forward to reading a more balanced impression on this.

I also note that there are several sound-related issues that keeps coming up, and these are not related to Atmos or object-based audio.
The media business really have to start pushing in the right direction to actually improve sound quality, the recent trend of louder and louder and more compressed, distorted sound tracks does not impress, and when people actually bring earplugs to auditions that should be a very obvious clue.

Object-based audio has been around for some time now, and we also see an improvement in surround sound presentation on some recent releases, if this is due to the object mixing, perhaps someone like Filmmixer could elaborate.

For most set-ups the potential for improvement lies in better speakers with better capacity and room acoustic treatment, not more speakers.
A properly calibrated 7.1 system already has the capability to deliver a very good three-dimensional sound presentation.
Get the basics done right first.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:27 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
The NY Demo was able to easily discern the up-firing speakers from the ceiling speakers in the first post.

- Rich
Thank you Rich for that. I definitely will be timbre matching my ceiling speakers to my fronts and surrounds.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:33 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

There was no indication either way Frank but if I was to guess I would say that they were not (at least not at the demonstration in NYC).

Regards,
The demo in NYC was the top firing speakers preferred Ralph?

Thank you
Old 08-18-2014, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Was no information given about the titles and release dates of films on Dolby Atmos Blu-Ray?

I, dabotsonline / Nicholas Polydor, am part of Panasonic UK's 'VIERA VIP Club': a group of six bloggers and forum posters receiving special access to information and events for the TV product range. Costs for activities are covered by Panasonic (no cash is involved). However, I can assure that this will never compromise my integrity or objectivity as an ethical conscience is something I have always and will forever hold very dear to my heart.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Anybody know if this is already going to be a feature or if it's even feasible:

I remember seeing the multi-microphone array orb for setting up I believe it was Tinnov auto-calibration (though I don't think it ever came to pass in whichever pre-amplifier I saw it for, I think it was the Outlaw pre-amp that never came to be)--that orb could determine the location of the speakers in addition to measuring all the other characteristics. Do they have any such thing for calibrating Atmos? It seems to me that if the Atmos encoding is based on the sound's location in an XYZ axis, it would make sense for the processors to know the speakers locations in your system and output the sound accordingly. Afterall, we're not all going to have our speakers in the exact same locations on the XYZ plane. Assuming it's feasible from a processing power standpoint (which, even if it's not as of right now, it will be possible someday) it seems like a missed opportunity if no one jumps on this.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabotsonline View Post
Was no information given about the titles and release dates of films on Dolby Atmos Blu-Ray?
Dolby is letting the studios do the announcing. Not the best move IMHO. The first should be ready for the holiday buying season.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Old 08-18-2014, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
Dolby is letting the studios do the announcing. Not the best move IMHO. The first should be ready for the holiday buying season.
My non-scientific view for new releases is do the math. For example, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 theatrical release was on April 24, it's Blu-ray release is Aug. 19.

Basically, a 4 month window so add 4 months to theatrical release date and you have a good idea when to expect an Atmos release, later this year.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked: 491
I suspect it depends on the movie and the studio. (How much work is involved and how much they're willing to spend on the mixing.) For example, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - 3D: Extended Edition has already been announced for November 3/4, but with DTS-HD MA, and Game of Thrones: The Complete Fourth Season for February 17, 2015, also with DTS-HD MA Given the lead time for GoT, they might yet change their minds.

This information was taken from http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/releasedates.html

There are quite a few summer blockbusters that aren't listed yet, so that might be a promising indication.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
Old 08-18-2014, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
You and I would be the perfect people for Dolby Atmos people to invite us @ their next improved demos.
...And with free access to all movies.

I would love a demo receiver since I am setup now with 19 channels. See some my other posts in this regard so I don't have to rehash.

I would not have any problem being a review site for a fully finished room with exceptional fidelity that is ready for true Dolby Atmos right now.

If there was a way to playback an original dolby atmos master from a computer source and dolby hardware... I would be willing to be a test location for reviews.

I waited for 2 years expecting Dolby to come out with the "right" product with home true object oriented surround... and this drivel is NOT what I was expecting. I can't tell you how weak the current offerings look. They should NOT put the Dolby Atmos label on these systems since it is just FALSE ADVERTISING!

Blazar!
Old 08-18-2014, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post
Did you prefer the ceiling mounted speakers over the up firing transducer speaker setup? If I were to go Atoms, I would definitely have ceiling mounted speakers because of the way my theater is setup.
I am with you. I am set up and ready to go for ceiling mounted speakers. I am just waiting for it all to be perfected. This is one area that I am not jumping into head first. I will sit back and watch it all unfold and find the right way for me to go.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
I am with you. I am set up and ready to go for ceiling mounted speakers. I am just waiting for it all to be perfected. This is one area that I am not jumping into head first. I will sit back and watch it all unfold and find the right way for me to go.

Agreed!

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
Old 08-18-2014, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Quoted: 2129 Post(s)
Liked: 612
Quote:
I would love a demo receiver since I am setup now with 19 channels. See some my other posts in this regard so I don't have to rehash.

I would not have any problem being a review site for a fully finished room with exceptional fidelity that is ready for true Dolby Atmos right now.

If there was a way to playback an original dolby atmos master from a computer source and dolby hardware... I would be willing to be a test location for reviews.

I waited for 2 years expecting Dolby to come out with the "right" product with home true object oriented surround... and this drivel is NOT what I was expecting. I can't tell you how weak the current offerings look. They should NOT put the Dolby Atmos label on these systems since it is just FALSE ADVERTISING!
Then perhaps there should be various levels of Dolby Atmos certification products? ...A la THX or Audyssey for example. ...The consumer (general public - low and mid-end) and the professional (up-end) market categories. I think we are arriving to that already.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
I suspect it depends on the movie and the studio. (How much work is involved and how much they're willing to spend on the mixing.) For example, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - 3D: Extended Edition has already been announced for November 3/4, but with DTS-HD MA, and Game of Thrones: The Complete Fourth Season for February 17, 2015, also with DTS-HD MA Given the lead time for GoT, they might yet change their minds.
This information was taken from http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/releasedates.html There are quite a few summer blockbusters that aren't listed yet, so that might be a promising indication.

Surely with respect to TV show "audio objectification" there are somewhat different considerations? With no object-based audio standard yet decided for ATSC 3.0 era "reruns" of current shows, there would seem to be an incentive to perhaps 'stay generic' rather than to 'go proprietary' with Atmos. I wonder if "TV Seasons" might not be a BD market segment where (still currently vaporware) DTS-UHD can compete with Home Atmos...?!
_

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

Old 08-18-2014, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
In the home version, the Dolby Atmos mix can include any combination of dynamically moving objects and fixed-position bed objects, up to a total of 128.
Scott.. that is incorrect.

The theatrical version supports 10 bed channels and 118 object, for a total of 128 inputs into the RMU (mastering unit.)

The home theater version most certainly does not support a number that large.. as is evidence by the creation and use of spatial audio coding.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:30 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I heard that a 9.2.2 channel bed won't be possible? Is that true? So then tell me? Why is Onkyo advertising it that way? And what is the use of 32 channel receivers coming out from trinnov, with their soon to release altitude 32? I really wanted wide channel processing!

BTW, we need some specially design ceiling mounted, on-wall speakers from audio manufactures, so us common folks wont have to rip holes in our walls and still get native audio over our heads!

Last edited by kenoh89; 08-18-2014 at 11:34 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenoh89 View Post
I heard that a 9.2.2 channel bed won't be possible? Is that true? So then tell me? Why is Onkyo advertising it that way? And what is the use of 32 channel receivers coming out from trinnov, with their soon to release altitude 32? I really wanted wide channel processing!

BTW, we need some specially design ceiling mounted, on-wall speakers from audio manufactures, so us common folks wont have to rip holes in our walls and still get native audio over our heads!
I'm not sure where you heard that... it's not true (and describing the output as a 9.2.2 bed isn't really correct.)

I believe you are confusing that it has been stated that post processing material using Dolby Surround, the new upmixer for legacy content (2.0, 5.1 and 7.1) won't use wides... Atmos most certainly will.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:50 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post
I'm not sure where you heard that... it's not true (and describing the output as a 9.2.2 bed isn't really correct.)

I believe you are confusing that it has been stated that post processing material using Dolby Surround, the new upmixer for legacy content (2.0, 5.1 and 7.1) won't use wides... Atmos most certainly will.
Well, that's how Onkyo advertises it? And yes, that could be me getting confused with the new up-mixer? Will all the new Atmos compatible receivers get Dolby Surround through a firmware up-date?

I still hope we get specifically designed on-wall speakers though! Has anybody heard anything from KEF, regarding Atmos?
Old 08-18-2014, 11:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well, that's how Onkyo advertises it? And yes, that could be me getting confused with the new up-mixer? Will all the new Atmos compatible receivers get Dolby Surround through a firmware up-date?
Onkyo is describing a speaker configuration, not the audio payload.

You can expect the upmixer with the Atmos FW...
Old 08-18-2014, 11:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked: 1029
Quote:
I heard that a 9.2.2 channel bed won't be possible? Is that true? So then tell me? Why is Onkyo advertising it that way? And what is the use of 32 channel receivers coming out from trinnov, with their soon to release altitude 32?
Let's not confuse channels with speakers. Aside from audio objects, Atmos soundtracks can contain up to 9.1 channels: L/C/R, 2 sides, 2 rears, 2 heights, and LFE.

Since Atmos soundtracks don't contain wide channels, those speakers won't get channel information. However, all speakers (including wides) will get object audio.

What Onkyo is advertising is one possible speaker configuration. Don't confuse that with channels.

Sanjay
Old 08-19-2014, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
The demo in NYC was the top firing speakers preferred Ralph?

Thank you
I won't speak for Ralph but I preferred the ceiling speakers.
RichB likes this.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip View Post
The room in NYC was painfully loud during the ST demo and annoyingly loud with the others. It may be industry standard but too loud nonetheless.
As the ST scene was playing I controlled the volume by inserting my index finger into my right ear and moved it in and out accordingly.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbitron View Post
As the ST scene was playing I controlled the volume by inserting my index finger into my right ear and moved it in and out accordingly.
Did anyone complain (in a constructive way) to Dolby that this demo was painfully loud and not helping their cause?

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Old 08-19-2014, 12:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, but I think it fell on deaf ears!
Orbitron likes this.

Tags
frontpage