Forum Jump: 

Old 08-26-2014, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 1185
Video Guru Joe Kane Becomes SMPTE Fellow

SMPTE honors this tireless advocate for accurate reproduction of video images and improving the entire television ecosystem.

Becoming a SMPTE (Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers) Fellow is no small accomplishment—the honor is conferred on those few individuals whose contributions to the industry have made a global impact on the production, delivery, and display of content. Among the most deserving members of the industry is video guru and long-time friend of AVS Forum Joe Kane, who has been granted Fellow status this year along with seven other inductees.

Joe began his company, Joe Kane Productions, in 1982 with the express purpose of furthering the science and art of electronic imaging as well as contributing to the standards that allow display devices to accurately and consistently reproduce the content creators' intent. Toward that end, he has produced several discs that all became widely used reference tools, including A Video Standard on LaserDisc (1988), Video Essentials on LaserDisc (1996) and DVD (1997), Digital Video Essentials (DVE) on high-definition D-Theater videotape (May 2003) and standard-def DVD (August 2003), DVE Professional on DVD (2005) with high-def content in the Windows Media Video format, DVE Test & Demonstration Materials on HD DVD (2007), and DVE HD Basics on HD DVD and Blu-ray (2008). Many videophiles, including myself, have relied on these titles to properly set up and evaluate video displays of all types.

These days, Joe is focused on the next-generation television system called Ultra HD (UHD), arguing that it should encompass much more than increased pixel density—the standard should also include a wider color gamut, less chroma subsampling, higher dynamic range with greater bit depth, higher frame rates, and better codecs. In addition, he advocates that images should be captured with as much information as technically possible and downsized as needed for different display capabilities.

To help video enthusiasts and professionals enter the age of Ultra HD, Joe is just about to release a suite of UHD content called New Test Materials on USB memory stick, hopefully by the end of September. The list price will be $150—not cheap, but well worth it considering how little reference content there currently is and how particular Joe is about the quality and utility of his images.

I've been proud to welcome Joe as a guest on my Home Theater Geeks podcast a total of five times in less than five years—in fact, he was my second guest ever back in December 2009. In his three most recent appearances, Joe focused on the many issues surrounding UHD and how he thinks they should be addressed; you can hear the master himself in these episodes—Joe Kane on 4K, Ultimate Ultra High Definition, and Color My TV World.

The 2014 Fellows will be officially inducted on Wednesday, October 22, during the SMPTE 2014 Annual Technical Conference & Exhibition at the Loews Hollywood Hotel in Los Angeles. I will be there to cover the event for AVS and to cheer as Joe Kane receives this well-deserved recognition. Congratulations, Joe!

For more on this year's SMPTE Fellows, click here.

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2014, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Congratulations to Mr. Kane! I have read, listened and watched pretty much everything I have found from him and have always felt that he is fighting for the interests of audio/video enthusiasts like myself.

Last edited by docevil; 08-26-2014 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Thumbs up

Very well deserved, indeed! Congratulations Mr. Kane!!
Old 08-26-2014, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I hope they listen to him or else 2160p is going to be garbage.
Dan Hitchman, DavidHir and saprano like this.

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000 Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Onkyo 818 receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 mono blocks, 9.1-set-up, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, Infinity ( soon to be replaces by B&W ) bookshelf Height Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, PSA XS30se sub, Richard Grey, Monster Power, and Panamax powerline conditioning/surge protection.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Tell em how it's done Joe Kane. Because clearly the industry has no clue what they're doing with 4K.
Dan Hitchman and hidefpaul like this.

home theater addict
Old 08-26-2014, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Bravo!
Old 08-26-2014, 11:15 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
CONGRATULATIONS!!
Mr Joe Kane. I have read, listened to, re-read, scratched my head trying to keep up, and thoroughly enjoyed
your efforts to improve, improve, organize, and educate all of us. Someday, I hope to
know just a smidgen of the knowledge you hold in your being.
Thank you for your energy, enthusiasm, and passion.
You deserve your own star on the Hollywood Walk Of Fame!
Old 08-27-2014, 12:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Without being a historian here, and without getting involved in the politics of JK leaving the Imaging Science Foundation, JK was the founder or one of the founders of ISF, was largely respoonsible for Stewart filmscreen coming out with the original Studiotec 130 fabric, the long time staple of those using CRT front projectors, and the moving influence for Da-lite's JKP Affinity line of screen materials
tenthplanet likes this.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536

Last edited by mark haflich; 08-27-2014 at 07:14 AM.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Great Post Scott!
I remember your bringing me the first videos of him I saw.

Congrats to SMPTE! I don't know how well his fix on sending creator controlled content setting will sit with calibration enthusiast, but I'm game.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Congrats Joe Kane!

I've been a user of DVE HD Basics since my first HD television back in 2008 and have used it to calibrate every display since. The disc taught me so much about calibration and how television and broadcast works and I have a huge amount of respect for Mr. Kane. Always love his ht geek appearances.

JBL Pro Cinema
Old 08-27-2014, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Congrats indeed.....one of the few people out there who actually sees "the bigger picture".

Paul
Old 08-28-2014, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Well-deserved honor! Great Home Theater Geeks Episode a few weeks back too. I hope the industry picks up Joe's vision for UHD!

Old 08-28-2014, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Liked: 182
Wow, this is like the video world's version of knighthood
Should we call him Sir Joe perhaps ?

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
Old 08-28-2014, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxtheater View Post
Well-deserved honor! Great Home Theater Geeks Episode a few weeks back too. I hope the industry picks up Joe's vision for UHD!
Second that.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
Old 09-02-2014, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Congrats !!!

"He who dies with the most toys wins". unless its home theater we die broke!!! Let The Games Begin

Tags
frontpage