Dolby Atmos Reaches 200-Title Milestone - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 22Likes

post #1 of 63 Old 10-28-2014, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked: 2069
Dolby Atmos Reaches 200-Title Milestone

Disney-Pixar's upcoming animated movie Inside Out is the 200th title announced to have a Dolby Atmos soundtrack.

This week, Dolby reached a significant milestone with the announcement that Disney-Pixar will mix the soundtrack of its upcoming animated feature Inside Out in Dolby Atmos, making it the 200th movie to benefit from the immersive-audio technology. And it's particularly appropriate that Disney-Pixar holds this distinction, since its movie Brave was the first to feature an Atmos soundtrack back in 2012.

In related news, Dolby announced that over 750 screens worldwide now have or are committed to install an Atmos sound system. I've heard many soundtracks in Atmos, and they are generally much more engaging than conventional 5.1 or 7.1, so I always seek out an Atmos-equipped theater for any such movie I want to see. To find Atmos theaters near you, click here and enter your zip code.

2014 Scheduled Atmos Theatrical Releases:

- Book of Life, 20th Century Fox, October 17, 2014

- Big Hero 6, Disney, November 7, 2014

- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1, Lionsgate, November 21, 2014

- Penguins of Madagascar, 20th Century Fox/Dreamworks Animation, November 26, 2014

- Exodus: Gods & Kings, 20th Century Fox, December 12, 2014

- The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies, Warner Bros., December 17, 2014

- Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb, 20th Century Fox, December 19, 2014

- Unbroken, Universal Pictures, December 25, 2014

2015 Scheduled Atmos Theatrical Releases:

- American Sniper, Warner Bros., January 16, 2015

- McFarland USA, Disney, February 20, 2015

- Kingsman: The Secret Service, 20th Century Fox, February 23, 2015

- Insurgent, Lionsgate, March 20, 2015

- In the Heart of the Sea, Warner Bros., March 23, 2015

- The Avengers: Age of Ultron, Disney/Marvel Studios, May 1, 2015

- Inside Out, Disney-Pixar Animation Studio, June 19, 2015

- The Man from U.N.C.L.E., Warner Bros., August 14, 2015

This is all well and good—great, in fact—but where are the Atmos Blu-ray releases? Like many of you, I'm disappointed that so few have been announced—and that they are not the most desirable titles, at least as far as I'm concerned. It seems to me that the studios should be able to easily release most if not all of the movies with theatrical Atmos mixes, so what's keeping them? I wish I knew.

2014 Scheduled Atmos Blu-ray Releases:

- Transformers: Age of Extinction, Paramount, September 30, 2014

- Step Up All In, Lionsgate, November 4, 2014

- Expendables 3, Lionsgate, November 25, 2014

- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Paramount, December 16, 2014

2014 Scheduled International/Regional Atmos Blu-ray Releases:

- Mary Kom (India), Shemaroo Entertainment, October 15, 2014

- Nature (Japan), NBC Universal Entertainment, November 6, 2014

- Transcendence (Japan), Pony Canyon, December 2, 2014

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+
BornSlippyZ likes this.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor

Last edited by Scott Wilkinson; 10-31-2014 at 03:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 Old 10-28-2014, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I will switch to Atmos when Star Wars VII comes out in Bluray. I hope Atmos gets largely accepted in home theaters! Dolby Atmos plus UHD resolution: Oh my!

Stef
post #3 of 63 Old 10-29-2014, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
200 movies... Why aren't all these movies released on blu-ray with Atmos too?

Projector: Epson EH-TW3200, Screen: Visivo Electric Screen PRO 117"
AVR: Pioneer Elite SC-35 (SC-LX73)
L/R Speakers: Yamaha NS-690III, Center: Klipsch RC-52 ii,
L/R Surrounds: Yamaha NS-333, Front Heights: Klipsch RS-25
Subs: Klipsch RW-12D, Crystal Acoustics THX-12 SUB
Source: Laptop - MPC-HC & ffdshow, Console: XBOX 360
post #4 of 63 Old 10-29-2014, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 434
I guess it would be too prohibitive to "remix" older movies into Atmos... I am not holding my breath for older titles being remixed.

In either case, older titles really do sound very engaging in DTS Neo X matrixing. I have really been quite pleased with this format. I wonder if Dolby will accompany Atmos with a "Neo X - like" format.

It is important for the receivers that they are releasing to have a hierarchy of surround mode preferences depending on the source material. In other words, if a movie does not have Atmos programming, the receiver should switch to "second best" based on the user's choice which in my case would be Neo X.

For now this is not a problem because I run all dolby and DTS soundtracks through Neo X as default "first choice". Once Atmos becomes the "default" by it's "best in class" nature, Neo X would need to be assignable as your "second choice".

message to manufacturers: more robust "automatic" selection of surround modes becomes more important as more of these modes arise.

Blazar!
post #5 of 63 Old 10-29-2014, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikolouzosr View Post
They might re-release those movies in a special edition with upgraded audio? me hoping...

Stef
post #6 of 63 Old 10-29-2014, 06:15 AM
CIH USER

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Once it hits 200+ blu rays with Atmos then I'm on board.

Frank
post #7 of 63 Old 10-29-2014, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Gosh... is it just me? So tired of hearing of Dolby Atmos right now! No offence of course, I get why this is great in a theater complex and for those with dedicated HT rooms who can house more speakers but simple fact is most enthusiasts don't have rooms with ceiling installation options. I can't see Atmos taking off for the general HT public. At all. Personally don't even care about more channels, I care about higher quality... so for that purpose I deem 5.1 more than sufficient. Wish the industry would focus on higher quality instead. Sigh.

Ok. I've vented enough now lol
boguspomp likes this.

| NAD M17 (a/v processor & DAC)
| NAD M27 (multichannel poweramp)
KEN KREISEL Q125 / DXD-12012 (5.1 speaker system)
OPPO BDP-103D (blu-ray player)
NAIM UNITISERVE (HDD musicserver)
Check out my personal review of the NAD M17 & M27 Master Series
post #8 of 63 Old 10-29-2014, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
+1

Nabs17
post #9 of 63 Old 10-29-2014, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 15
if you read mroe about it, i think it does bring more quality to surround sound as we know it. even if you stick with 5.1 or 7.1 you should hear better transitions from when objects fly from front to surrounds. i've never liked the current lossy Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS implementations of surround. it always sounded fake to me when there are object pans. but when you hear from and more atmos at the cinema, you start to realize what you've been missing all along. this is quite frankly the most revolutionary product since the advent of stereo to replace mono. i would say even more than that. it renders all channels meaningless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyDeg View Post
Gosh... is it just me? So tired of hearing of Dolby Atmos right now! No offence of course, I get why this is great in a theater complex and for those with dedicated HT rooms who can house more speakers but simple fact is most enthusiasts don't have rooms with ceiling installation options. I can't see Atmos taking off for the general HT public. At all. Personally don't even care about more channels, I care about higher quality... so for that purpose I deem 5.1 more than sufficient. Wish the industry would focus on higher quality instead. Sigh.

to the edge of eternity and depth of infinity, stupidity knows no bound.
post #10 of 63 Old 10-29-2014, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stef2 View Post
I will switch to Atmos when Star Wars VII comes out in Bluray. I hope Atmos gets largely accepted in home theaters! Dolby Atmos plus UHD resolution: Oh my!
The only time I upgrade my system is when a new version of Star Wars 4,5,6 comes out. So no UHD or Atmos for me until then. Go Disney
post #11 of 63 Old 10-29-2014, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediFonger View Post
if you read mroe about it, i think it does bring more quality to surround sound as we know it. even if you stick with 5.1 or 7.1 you should hear better transitions from when objects fly from front to surrounds. i've never liked the current lossy Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS implementations of surround. it always sounded fake to me when there are object pans. but when you hear from and more atmos at the cinema, you start to realize what you've been missing all along. this is quite frankly the most revolutionary product since the advent of stereo to replace mono. i would say even more than that. it renders all channels meaningless.
I get what you're saying and in the right situation Atmos is bound to be mighty impressive. In my own situation I don't feel I'm lacking smooth panning and transitions front-to-back in my current system in my current room however. That would differ from case-to-case obviously. I just feel Atmos (and the likes) makes more sense in a theater complex or those lucky few with dedicated HT rooms with ceiling options. Most of us don't have those so it's not for the general HT public. I'm ranting cause there's been too much Atmos talk lately wherever I turn... reminds me of the 3D-TV hype a few years ago lol.

| NAD M17 (a/v processor & DAC)
| NAD M27 (multichannel poweramp)
KEN KREISEL Q125 / DXD-12012 (5.1 speaker system)
OPPO BDP-103D (blu-ray player)
NAIM UNITISERVE (HDD musicserver)
Check out my personal review of the NAD M17 & M27 Master Series
post #12 of 63 Old 10-29-2014, 08:26 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2071 Post(s)
Liked: 1757
Quote:
That's more like it.

And studios... don't ever pull a Hercules again.
Dan Hitchman and GreySkies like this.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz ***FOR SALE***

Plan9Reloaded Co-host
Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)
https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link
http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website
post #13 of 63 Old 10-29-2014, 08:39 AM
Bass Enabler

Quote:

That's why Dolby invented the Atmos-enabled speaker.

Quote:
This is great news for home entertainment enthusiasts, but it has left some wondering how they can recreate the overhead sound that’s a hallmark of Dolby Atmos. While some people are willing and able to mount speakers in or on their ceilings, for others it’s just not possible—their landlord wouldn’t approve, their ceiling won’t accommodate speakers, or they just don’t want to go through the hassle.
For those people, we’ve worked with our hardware partners to develop Dolby Atmos enabled speaker technology. Dolby Atmos enabled speakers sit at the same level as your traditional speakers, but they fire sound up to your ceiling, where it reflects down to where you’re sitting. The speakers also specially process the sound to accurately recreate the way sound hits your ear when it comes from above. The result is incredibly realistic overhead sound—some people we’ve demonstrated them to have actually gotten on chairs to examine the ceiling, certain that there must be speakers hidden there.

This is our next level of "higher quality".

Plan9Reloaded Co-host
Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)
post #14 of 63 Old 10-29-2014, 08:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked: 1423
The majority of those titles are foreign, with less than 80 being domestic.

Sanjay
post #15 of 63 Old 10-29-2014, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

LOL. I'll get excited when they announce 200 4K titles on BD, Atmos not necessarily required.
RickyDeg likes this.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #16 of 63 Old 10-29-2014, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Uhm, I can only see 16 movie titles. Where's the other 184?
post #17 of 63 Old 10-29-2014, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 648
Quote:
I guess I'm confused. Lossless Dolby and DTS soundtracks have been the norm for quite sometime now in the home. The only format with lossy soundtracks is DVD, and most here have moved away from that for quite sometime. In theaters the standard is uncompressed PCM for the vast majority of installs (any DCI install). I've been to nearly every big tentpole movie release in Dolby Atmos and the only two that really impressed me for the surround soundstage were Gravity and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. The rest sounded about the same as non-Atmos movies (though I was obviously not able to compare the soundtracks in Atmos and not in Atmos in the same theater). I'm looking forward to trying Atmos in the home though.
lsdec and RickyDeg like this.

My Theater Room

Technical Editor/Writer

Sound and Vision
post #18 of 63 Old 10-29-2014, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatauror28 View Post
Uhm, I can only see 16 movie titles. Where's the other 184?
My list has only 146 ATMOS Titles, wheres the other 56 ?

Anyone fell free to copy my list with Dolby Atmos movies for cinema from 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and start a thread in avsforums.. cinemahifi.pt

I also start a bluray atmos list here

Portuguese Blog & Forum Discussion about Audio & Video
Visit our Blog & Forum CinemaHIFI.PT
Like cinemahifi on Facebook

Last edited by canton160; 10-29-2014 at 10:42 AM.
post #19 of 63 Old 10-29-2014, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

Quote:

I agree with you about the sound JediFonger, as many who have heard it actually say it is a great improvement.
The problem I have, and to your point RickyDeg, is that its a really tough sell...... I was at a high end AV shop on the weekend here in Toronto, they were doing promos/demos with people from Bryston & BMW etc.....the point here is that, when I asked the owners (who I know well) how they enjoyed the ATMOS demos at CEDIA, the all agreed it sounded great....its too bad even their clientelle, who can most certainly afford the ATMOS up-grade, are not interested at all, 5.1 or 7.1 max is all they want.

Paul
RickyDeg likes this.
post #20 of 63 Old 10-29-2014, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
I get what you're saying and in the right situation Atmos is bound to be mighty impressive. In my own situation I don't feel I'm lacking smooth panning and transitions front-to-back in my current system in my current room however. That would differ from case-to-case obviously. I just feel Atmos (and the likes) makes more sense in a theater complex or those lucky few with dedicated HT rooms with ceiling options. Most of us don't have those so it's not for the general HT public. I'm ranting cause there's been too much Atmos talk lately wherever I turn... reminds me of the 3D-TV hype a few years ago lol.

You don't have to put speakers in/on the ceiling. You can use upfiring speakers that Bounce the sound Down from the ceiling. Apparently setups like these have impressed members on this forum.
post #21 of 63 Old 10-29-2014, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Sure hope I have my "200" speakers installed to enjoy them - not!
post #22 of 63 Old 10-29-2014, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post
LOL. I'll get excited when they announce 200 4K titles on BD, Atmos not necessarily required.
You will not be when you find out a 4K BD uses the same space as a 1080p BD just different compression.

High Res audio is coming back. We now have to wait for High Res Uncompre... Video.
post #23 of 63 Old 10-29-2014, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Yeah if they want this format to survive they need to push more home releases and re-release some movies that would be awesome in ATMOS like Gravity (Horrible movie but amazing sound and visuals) and Godzilla, oh and a non-atmos movie I would love to see is Pacific Rim.

I hope they do a ATMOS Bluray release list like they do for their Movie Theater releases...
thehun likes this.

Projector: BenQ w1070 v1.06 + Painted N9 Grey 120" Screen
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR636 ATMOS + Darbee Media Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT 321 + Nexus Player
Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL, FR), CS2 Series II (Center), Monitor40 Series II (RL, RR),
Onkyo THX Bookshelf Speakers (Ceiling L,R) + Dual JL Audio 12" Subs + ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 5.2.2
post #24 of 63 Old 10-29-2014, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 460
High res uncompressed video storage or transmission is a fool's dream, IMO. Too wasteful for too little visual benefit.

There's a reason MP3 and h.264 / 265 are used, because doing otherwise would be an obtuse waste of bandwidth and therefore, money. (and time). You could even argue that without compression, we wouldn't even have had digital video discs or Blurays at all. You would need 400 discs to store one movie.
post #25 of 63 Old 10-29-2014, 02:06 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:
I agree I don't get why they don't do that if they were smart they would make it impossible to catch-up with a 200 movie head start for Home Theater
post #26 of 63 Old 10-29-2014, 02:08 PM
Bass Enabler

Yeah. We don't really need uncompressed video. Although it sounds like fun it is completely wasteful.

Uncompressed video is great for those working on the VFX or other things during post-production but as an end user? Nah.

We just need better compression algorithm(s) and practices performed in the home video authoring.
mark haflich and TorTorden like this.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host
post #27 of 63 Old 10-29-2014, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
Quote:
I agree I don't get why they don't do that if they were smart they would make it impossible to catch-up with a 200 movie head start for Home Theater

Immersive audio codecs on BD (object-based or otherwise) are irrelevant to the 95%+ of viewers who use only a disc player and a TV, plus perhaps a sound-bar or an "obsolete" AVR. The future appeal of object-based audio for those consumers is user-interactive dialog vs overall volume control. When the studios see a cheap platform and codec which supports that feature, then they will have a reason to mix all BD audio content using that particular object-based codec regardless of whether or not the theatrical release of the movie contained immersive audio!

_

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #28 of 63 Old 10-29-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1204 Post(s)
Liked: 863
Scott. Are you planning to install an Atmos system in your HT? I can't imagine given your productivity that you would ever have time to watch anything in your HT assuming that you have one.

Do you think sound bars will be forth coming with additional drivers to bounce the sound off of a ceiling? This might be impossible given the horizontal spacing for Atmos .2 drivers but an Atmos .1 might be possible. It would be interesting to read your responses but I suspect that given that I am the one asking you will not respond. Perhaps someone else will repeat my questions thereby increasing the possibility of a response.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #29 of 63 Old 10-29-2014, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 559
200 Atmos films and still no Atmos theater in the Philadelphia market. I will get excited when we have the cinema to hear these films here. Now I have to hear them in NYC.
post #30 of 63 Old 10-29-2014, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post
Scott. Are you planning to install an Atmos system in your HT? I can't imagine given your productivity that you would ever have time to watch anything in your HT assuming that you have one.

Do you think sound bars will be forth coming with additional drivers to bounce the sound off of a ceiling? This might be impossible given the horizontal spacing for Atmos .2 drivers but an Atmos .1 might be possible. It would be interesting to read your responses but I suspect that given that I am the one asking you will not respond. Perhaps someone else will repeat my questions thereby increasing the possibility of a response.

ETRI is currently working with NHK on wavefront synthesis research, and with LG on pre-production development to deliver a consumer version of that technology using both top and bottom of display soundbars. (And I saw another ETRI "design" which included a third soundbar located behind the audience! )

So one option for home playback of a Dolby Atmos movie could be to first render the movie into a (nominal) Hamasaki 22.2 mix and subsequently to play that 22.2 audio back through a SoundWindow. How acceptable might that be to the average home audience? Hard to tell without production hardware to experience.

_

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
frontpage

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page