DTS:X Immersive Sound Format Due March 2015 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1360Likes

post #1 of 3271 Old 12-31-2014, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 278 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6600 Post(s)
Liked: 11374
DTS:X (Consumer Version) Official Discussion Thread

The competition for immersive audio supremacy is about to heat up thanks to DTS:X, the object-based successor to DTS-HD Master audio.

DTS already enjoys a commanding lead over its rivals when it comes to Blu-ray audio encoding. Yesterday the company announced it will roll out its object-based immersive audio format—DTS:X sometime in March 2015. It will join Dolby Atmos and Auro 3D in a battle for the ears and wallets of AV enthusiasts everywhere.

The press release offers few details about the new format. It names the manufacturers that agreed to launch DTS:X-compatible products in 2015: Anthem, Denon, Integra, Krell, Marantz, McIntosh, Onkyo, Outlaw Audio, Pioneer, Steinway Lyngdorf, Theta Digital, Trinnov Audio, and Yamaha. According to DTS, that group represents about 90% of the home AVR and surround-sound pre-pro market, and the company says it will sign up even more partners in coming months.

I'm curious if DTS will offer a working demo of DTS:X at CES 2015. I've scheduled a meeting with the company for Wednesday, January 7; if I find out anything new, I will file a report that evening. More than anything, I want to know if any current Dolby Atmos-capable gear will offer an upgrade path to DTS:X, or if it will require all-new equipment. I also want to know if DTS:X uses the same speaker arrangement as Dolby Atmos. Then there's the question of Atmos-enabled (reflective sound) speakers—does DTS:X work with those systems? Will there be such a thing as a DTS:X-enabled speaker? I'd love to have the answers to these questions sooner rather than later.

I'm already a fan of immersive sound in the home, and I enjoy what I hear with Dolby Atmos. However, because DTS has such a commanding lead in the Blu-ray market—thanks to its HD master audio format—I suspect the launch of DTS:X will act as a catalyst for widespread adoption of immersive sound. Once mainstream AVRs feature logos for both DTS:X and Atmos, I expect object-based immersive audio from DTS and Dolby to become the de facto industry standards for enjoying surround-sound at home.

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+

Mark Henninger, Senior Editor at AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 04-11-2015 at 07:17 AM. Reason: User request to change thread title to make it more relevant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3271 Old 12-31-2014, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 389
The press release says "The official launch of DTS:X is planned for March 2015, at which time additional information will be shared." Hopefully, they will share some details with Mark, he's our voice here.
Mike Butny likes this.

Last edited by Orbitron; 12-31-2014 at 03:03 PM.
post #3 of 3271 Old 12-31-2014, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Dolby "pre-released" a bunch of teaser bits before the official announcement -- hopefully DTS follows suit. In particular, I want to know:

1. Will there be a single speaker placement recommendation for both formats?
2. When will there be AVRs that have support for both?
3. Will existing Atmos speakers receivers get DTS:X support via a firmware upgrade?

Waiting until mid-March to learn that feels like an eternity.

Edit: fixed typo
oneeyeblind and bencherokee like this.

Last edited by granroth; 12-31-2014 at 04:46 PM.

post #4 of 3271 Old 12-31-2014, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 123
This is going to be interesting news for the crowd that rushed out for Atmos in advance of common sense. It was just too soon to go rushing in within the past few weeks without some serious questions being asked.

Now, we're going to see the "camps" established, with folks who already have (or wired up for ) Atmos, who will be defending that rushed decision, and those who are doing fence-sitting. When is the last time we saw that trash-fight...

Stock up on popcorn now, it's going to be in short supply when we see the weigh-in this coming March. Atmos bleeding-edgers are already shouting and questioning the intelligence of anyone not holding a Nobel prize and wearing a Dolby T-shirt.
post #5 of 3271 Old 12-31-2014, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by granroth View Post
Dolby "pre-released" a bunch of teaser bits before the official announcement -- hopefully DTS follows suit. In particular, I want to know:

1. Will there be a single speaker placement recommendation for both formats?
2. When will there be AVRs that have support for both?
3. Will existing Atmos speakers get DTS:X support via a firmware upgrade?

Waiting until mid-March to learn that feels like an eternity.

On #3 did you mean Atmos Receivers not speakers? I would guess yes from some of the newer high end stuff, but the older ONKYO's I question.

Lowell

The MarvelAtmos Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #6 of 3271 Old 12-31-2014, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked: 1311
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
.....manufacturers that agreed to launch DTS:X-compatible products in 2015: Anthem, Denon, Integra, Krell, Marantz, McIntosh, Onkyo, Outlaw Audio, Pioneer, Steinway Lyngdorf, Theta Digital, Trinnov Audio, and Yamaha.
Outlaw Audio being on the list really perks my interest!
bass excavator, LowellG and Helson like this.

post #7 of 3271 Old 12-31-2014, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post
On #3 did you mean Atmos Receivers not speakers? I would guess yes from some of the newer high end stuff, but the older ONKYO's I question.
Oops, yes. Fixed. And I love that any receiver that can handle Atmos could be considered "older"
barfle likes this.
post #8 of 3271 Old 12-31-2014, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Typical DTS. Wait for Dolby to blaze the trail and then follow up and claim yours is the "best" and watch the fanboys eat it up.

DTS: Ours goes to "11"

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #9 of 3271 Old 12-31-2014, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
Outlaw Audio being on the list really perks my interest!
Anthem perks mine, hope there is a trade-in program for D2 owners
post #10 of 3271 Old 12-31-2014, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 633
When I see an HDCP 2.2 compliant, 11.2 receiver that has the emblems "Dolby Atmos" and "DTS-X" on the front then I'll ante up. I figure DTS-X will mimic the speaker placement of Atmos to cater to the potential masses, and Auro 3D won't be a contender, but I could be wrong.
post #11 of 3271 Old 12-31-2014, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 278 Post(s)
Quoted: 6600 Post(s)
Liked: 11374
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post
When I see an HDCP 2.2 compliant, 11.2 receiver that has the emblems "Dolby Atmos" and "DTS-X" on the front then I'll ante up. I figure DTS-X will mimic the speaker placement of Atmos to cater to the potential masses, and Auro 3D won't be a contender, but I could be wrong.
I think you nailed it.
qwho51 and RonKnox like this.

Mark Henninger, Senior Editor at AVS Forum
post #12 of 3271 Old 12-31-2014, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post
+1

Why some of us are holding our horses........
post #13 of 3271 Old 12-31-2014, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by granroth View Post
Oops, yes. Fixed. And I love that any receiver that can handle Atmos could be considered "older"

I am doubting the Onkyo 636 can keep up.

Lowell

The MarvelAtmos Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #14 of 3271 Old 12-31-2014, 06:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 1388 Post(s)
Liked: 1441
I want Dolby Atmos, Auro 3D, and DTS X in a single processor. Well, I also want Eli to play like Peyton, a Trinnov Altitude, and my student loans to disappear...
post #15 of 3271 Old 12-31-2014, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I still have my quad 8 track from the 70's, will Atmos or DTS-X be the next item to be short lived as the other becomes the prominent immersive based audio.
cpk123 and barfle like this.

post #16 of 3271 Old 12-31-2014, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I think DTS will take the conservative approach where it pretty much doesnt matter what your setup is. You just tell the receiver the number of speakers and the placement. Wont matter if your setup is initially for Auro or Atmos or Atmos speakers/modules.
post #17 of 3271 Old 12-31-2014, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 209
I love all the new technologies that come to us such as this upcoming Hatfields and McCoys of audio fights (DTS vs Dolby vs...) however, I tend to be far more concerned with the notion of garbage in and garbage out. We still are subject to hit and miss of product that we put into our home systems. Meanwhile, as others suggest, I'll just grab the popcorn and watch the various advocates for each new technology go at it.
Zenyatto likes this.
post #18 of 3271 Old 12-31-2014, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Curious if there will be DTS modules or is the goal the same, to have sound reflect off the ceiling with the same dispersion pattern?
post #19 of 3271 Old 12-31-2014, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1184
Time to sell the stock
blu-dog-avs likes this.
post #20 of 3271 Old 12-31-2014, 08:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 306
*Sigh* Oh for the love ...

Remember when we had 5.1 and we bought our first AVR and that was good for like ten years or so??? When is this going to end? And what are people that just bought that ATMOS AVR doing? I'm waiting this one out awhile. I bought a AVR 2 years ago, that one is going to have to do for now. It's 7.1, it's good enough.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #21 of 3271 Old 12-31-2014, 09:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
*Sigh* Oh for the love ...

Remember when we had 5.1 and we bought our first AVR and that was good for like ten years or so??? When is this going to end? And what are people that just bought that ATMOS AVR doing? I'm waiting this one out awhile. I bought a AVR 2 years ago, that one is going to have to do for now. It's 7.1, it's good enough.
What are current Atmos owners doing? They are enjoying their Atmos and DSU and will continue to enjoy it regardless of what comes down the road.
post #22 of 3271 Old 12-31-2014, 10:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 65
...and with 98% of flat screen owners using the TV's speakers and/or soundbars, consumer electronics companies will sell billions of new receivers and ceiling speakers!!
post #23 of 3271 Old 12-31-2014, 10:44 PM

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150zx View Post
...and with 98% of flat screen owners using the TV's speakers and/or soundbars, consumer electronics companies will sell billions of new receivers and ceiling speakers!!
You're right, we should totally stop being innovative because the mass majority uses bland, old technology. As a matter of fact, we should all go back to tube TVs with mono sound. Because that was what was in 100% of homes before widescreen and Dolby.

I completely agree with your sarcasm
arttu likes this.
post #24 of 3271 Old 12-31-2014, 11:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by likelinus View Post
You're right, we should totally stop being innovative because the mass majority uses bland, old technology. As a matter of fact, we should all go back to tube TVs with mono sound. Because that was what was in 100% of homes before widescreen and Dolby.

We all have to blend our sarcasm and realism. He had a realistic perspective. It's highly unlikely 3 competing formats will make it into the home. I think that's where we need to be clear when posting. What they do in theaters I really don't care about, I only care about what I can bring into my home at a reasonable price. It's a $2K upgrade to bring a decent 7.2.4 system into my room. I just don't see the cost benefit. Maybe when I upgrade my receiver in a couple years, yes, but I haven't even had my X4000 for a year. No need to upgrade.

Lowell

post #25 of 3271 Old 12-31-2014, 11:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:

Lately, it seems there may be a fine line between innovation and greed. Widescreens from tubes = innovation. DVD from VHS = innovation. Consumer sales have proven that. Blu-ray from DVD? Not so much. DVD after 8+ years still outsells BR by 70% to 30%. Atmos and X? Innovation...arguably not. How's that 'innovation' of 3D working? 4K TV's aren't selling as well as CE companies wanted, and those that buy them are still watching 720p and 1080i content on cable and satellite. Innovation vs. greed.
post #26 of 3271 Old 12-31-2014, 11:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
There's a difference between creating a brand new technology such as when moving from a tube TV to a flat one, and simply adding more speakers and more surround processing to what was already very immersive surround sound.

Can't you see that they are adding surround to surround, for the sole purpose of grabbing money? It's like introducing wetter water! Of course some people will far for it, sadly. And some already have.
post #27 of 3271 Old 01-01-2015, 12:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150zx View Post
Lately, it seems there may be a fine line between innovation and greed. Widescreens from tubes = innovation. DVD from VHS = innovation. Consumer sales have proven that. Blu-ray from DVD? Not so much. DVD after 8+ years still outsells BR by 70% to 30%. Atmos and X? Innovation...arguably not. How's that 'innovation' of 3D working? 4K TV's aren't selling as well as CE companies wanted, and those that buy them are still watching 720p and 1080i content on cable and satellite. Innovation vs. greed.
So the word progress doesn't enter into your world. Everything has to be some big leap in order to get your approval[innovation]? Luckily the real world is something else.
nickbuol and David Susilo like this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Ex diversis cogitationibus ex cute color.

The Hun
post #28 of 3271 Old 01-01-2015, 12:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebEffect View Post
There's a difference between creating a brand new technology such as when moving from a tube TV to a flat one, and simply adding more speakers and more surround processing to what was already very immersive surround sound.

Can't you see that they are adding surround to surround, for the sole purpose of grabbing money? It's like introducing wetter water! Of course some people will far for it, sadly. And some already have.
If I was totally clueless about the object based surround technology I would probably agree with you.
nickbuol, David Susilo and Gurba like this.

The Hun
post #29 of 3271 Old 01-01-2015, 12:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

DTS already enjoys a commanding lead over its rivals when it comes to Blu-ray audio encoding. Yesterday the company announced it will roll out its object-based immersive audio format—DTS:X sometime in March 2015. It will join Dolby Atmos and Auro 3D in a battle for the ears and wallets of AV enthusiasts everywhere.

The press release offers few details about the new format. It names the manufacturers that agreed to launch DTS:X-compatible products in 2015: Anthem, Denon, Integra, Krell, Marantz, McIntosh, Onkyo, Outlaw Audio, Pioneer, Steinway Lyngdorf, Theta Digital, Trinnov Audio, and Yamaha. According to DTS, that group represents about 90% of the home AVR and surround-sound pre-pro market, and the company says it will sign up even more partners in coming months.

I'm curious if DTS will offer a working demo of DTS:X at CES 2015. I've scheduled a meeting with the company for Wednesday, January 7; if I find out anything new, I will file a report that evening. More than anything, I want to know if any current Dolby Atmos-capable gear will offer an upgrade path to DTS:X, or if it will require all-new equipment. I also want to know if DTS:X uses the same speaker arrangement as Dolby Atmos. Then there's the question of Atmos-enabled (reflective sound) speakers—does DTS:X work with those systems? Will there be such a thing as a DTS:X-enabled speaker? I'd love to have the answers to these questions sooner rather than later.
It seems that DTS forget to mention their studio partners. Let's not forget this is a new discrete mix that the studios will have to pay for especially if this is a home format only, like DTS ES Discrete was. Only that this is far more sophisticated and potentially more costly to produce. The fact that many studios use DTS HD MA is irrelevant since it's just vessel or a software for PCM, without the new mix it's nothing. I'm pretty sure that those announcement are coming before or on March however. This could also spell doom for Auro 3d for the audio 99%-ers.

The Hun
post #30 of 3271 Old 01-01-2015, 12:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
More than anything, I want to know if any current Dolby Atmos-capable gear will offer an upgrade path to DTS:X, or if it will require all-new equipment. I also want to know if DTS:X uses the same speaker arrangement as Dolby Atmos. Then there's the question of Atmos-enabled (reflective sound) speakers—does DTS:X work with those systems? Will there be such a thing as a DTS:X-enabled speaker? I'd love to have the answers to these questions sooner rather than later.
Please do ask... I'd be really happy if the X5200W could upgrade to DTS:X... crossing fingers. The X5200W was a very huge investment for me, it would be a massive disappointment if it won't

If a disc comes out in DTS:X format the Atmos processing won't be able to decode it in any way, correct? Man that would suck if the BD discs were all just DTS:X if the BD/ no more Atmos releases.

I don't see why so many people are resentful of Atmos early adopters... I think we all benefit from 3D sound no matter what format is used. If a receiver can house all 3 then who cares what format one uses?
Blackman and CARTmen like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Dts , frontpage , Surround Sound

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page