Exploring The 2015 New York Luxury Technology Show - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 18Likes
  • 1 Post By imagic
  • 6 Post By blu-dog-avs
  • 2 Post By BIGmouthinDC
  • 1 Post By NorthSky
  • 3 Post By thehun
  • 1 Post By Utopianemo
  • 1 Post By Daniel Chaves
  • 1 Post By thrang
  • 2 Post By imagic

post #1 of 30 Old 03-14-2015, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
Assoc. Editor @ AVS *****

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4469 Post(s)
Liked: 7410
Exploring The 2015 New York Luxury Technology Show

Mark Henninger checks out some pricey audio and video toys at this invitation-only show held in Manhattan.

The Luxury Technology Show in New York is an event for invited guests and the press—you can't just buy a ticket to get in. Inside was a crowd of beautiful people (guests) and a number of scrubs like me (press) hustling around with our camera rigs.

On the floor, I found an eclectic mix of luxury goods. Not all of them were AV-related, but I did find products from SIM2, Vutec, Crestron, McIntosh, Sonus Faber, Technics, and a few others.

One of the most impressive displays at the show came from Fine Sounds Group, the parent company of McIntosh, Sonus Faber, Audio Research, Wadia, and Sumiko. The $140,000 system on display was up and running, cranking out tunes. Check it out in this video featuring Mike Russo from McIntosh.

Panasonic had a sizeable booth right next to Fine Sounds Group. It dedicated most of that space to a pair of Technics systems. I wrote about the re-emergence of Technics at CES 2015, where the team played classical tracks in a silent room.

At the Luxury Technology show, the mood was much more party-like than at CES. Food and drinks were free, gorgeous models floated around on IO Hawks, and the music had a beat to it. I thought the cocktail-party vibe was a more appropriate setting for showing off the new Technics gear. Take a look at this clip where Gene Kelsey from Panasonic talks about the two systems on display.

Crestron's systems can control just about anything, including all the gear you'll find in a dedicated home theater. Soon you'll be able to use your iPad to control anything that works with Crestron thanks to the company's new app, Pyng. Check out this short clip where Delia Hansen from Crestron describes Pyng's functionality.

You can't have a great home theater without a good projector and a quality screen. SIM2 was at the show with its latest light cannon, the Nero3. It's an LED-lit DLP projector with a light source rated at 30,000 hours and no moving parts.

In the following clip, Alberto Fabiano from SIM2 explains how the Nero 3 solid-state projector is a viable alternative to a flat panel TV, even in a room with ambient light.

Speaking of ambient light and front projection, the secret to getting a great image in a brighter room is in the screen. Vutec was at the event, paired with SIM2's projectors to show off how bright and contrasty front projection looks in a room flooded with ambient light—as long as you have the right screen.

Check out Andrew Clampitt from Vutec discussing the advantages of the company's SilverStar screen material.

Whole-house audio exists at the periphery of what I typically cover for AVS, but I always appreciate a product that takes sound quality seriously. Autonomic Controls was showing its Mirage audio server and digital amplifier. Check out Michael De Nigris describing his company's distributed-audio solution.

Luxury can often mean something different from performance. One example is a luxury TV that doubles as a mirror. Seura's Vanishing Entertainment TV Mirror is semi-reflective, and unlike competing products, the panel is right up against the mirror glass, which avoids distracting internal reflections.

Here's Jessica Yurchich from Seura discussing the new product, which debuted at the show and looked surprisingly good.

The Luxury Technology Show offered a fun glimpse at some of the latest products aimed at affluent consumers. Much like the L.A. show I attended this past September, it was clear that everyone attending was having a good time. I look forward to the next one.

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+
Jim Noyd likes this.

Mark Henninger

Last edited by imagic; 03-16-2015 at 09:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 03-14-2015, 03:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 6814 Post(s)
Liked: 3395
www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iwBM_YB1sE

~ Bob
"And it stoned me to my soul"
- Van Morrison
post #3 of 30 Old 03-14-2015, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Was suprised that Crestron is only releasing the ipad control app now. I was quite down on fact my A/V suppliers used Control4 in my townhouse over Crestron, but at least they've had the ipad/Android and smartphone apps for some time. I use my spare Sony tablet from my X1 player to run the Control4 app and act as the house controller GUI interface instead of using the RF remotes a lot of the time.
post #4 of 30 Old 03-14-2015, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 122

I don't know who managed to sneak that thing off the Death Star, but I wouldn't be standing around at some swap meet trying to hawk it to anybody, rich or not. Darth Vader is storming around looking for his s#&t. I would advise standing a few feet to one side, and pointing at other people.
post #5 of 30 Old 03-14-2015, 05:31 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2828 Post(s)
Liked: 2377
enough about the gear where are the pictures of the hot models?
Goalline and rustester like this.
post #6 of 30 Old 03-14-2015, 05:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 6814 Post(s)
Liked: 3395
That was all the excitement looking towards ...
RLBURNSIDE likes this.

~ Bob
"And it stoned me to my soul"
- Van Morrison
post #7 of 30 Old 03-14-2015, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 457
I wish companies would bring designers and engineers to talk about their products instead the marketing and sales guys. Some of those just flat out clueless about the technology they pedaling.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

The Hun
post #8 of 30 Old 03-15-2015, 06:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Thx Mark, must be fun to hobnob with the 1%ers. Was Steinway Lyngdorf there?

J.Mike
Those who die with the most toys ... are still dead!
post #9 of 30 Old 03-15-2015, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Mike Ferrara View Post
Thx Mark, must be fun to hobnob with the 1%ers. Was Steinway Lyngdorf there?
No Steinway Lyngdorf. The other big name in audio that was there was Harman, but for some reason the rep could not do an interview. I did resolve to visit the Harman Flagship Store in Manhattan, it has a JBL Synthesis demo room.

Mark Henninger
post #10 of 30 Old 03-15-2015, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1270 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Some of the black painted screens here in the DIY section have better daylight appearance than these high end ones. I'll pass. Actually I don't see the point, just get some decent blackout shades and it's like the middle of the night in my theater room here. We have a spare TV but it simply never gets used, the projector is too awesome. The only problem with such good blackout shades is that you end up sleeping in so much!! It's crazy how upgrading my theater room changed our weekend sleep patterns so drastically. All for a few hundred bucks.
post #11 of 30 Old 03-15-2015, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I've heard about this show. It's attended by bourgeois yuppie country club snobs who like to pay $100,000 for speakers that won't outperform the $5,000 Goldenear Triton One.

So I'll stick to my slightly more common and sensibly priced and reasonably marketed HT gear.

Onkyo TX-NR3008; Samsung UN55D7000; Panasonic PT-AE8000U; Panoview 92" screen; Definitive Technology BP-8060ST; Definitive Technoogy A60; Definitive Technology CS-8060HD; Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 350; Definitive Technology SR-8040BP; Klipsch Reference RW-12D; Buttkicker Wireless; Belkin PF60; Pioneer Elite BDP62FD; Toshiba HD-A3; PS3 60 GB; PS3 120 GB slim; Xbox 360 S with HD DVD drive; Wii; Wii U 32 GB; Xbox One; PS4; Logitech Harmony One; Beats Studio 2.0 Wireless (matte black)
post #12 of 30 Old 03-15-2015, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
No Steinway Lyngdorf. The other big name in audio that was there was Harman, but for some reason the rep could not do an interview. I did resolve to visit the Harman Flagship Store in Manhattan, it has a JBL Synthesis demo room.
No SL, that's really quite something for such an esteemed high-end show like NYLTS.
post #13 of 30 Old 03-16-2015, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
No SL, that's really quite something for such an esteemed high-end show like NYLTS.
Maybe next year? I'm not sure there's room for more than two high-end audio displays at that show. I do love Steinway Lyngdorf's approach to sound reproduction, but the McIntosh system that was on display was no slouch either.

Mark Henninger
post #14 of 30 Old 03-16-2015, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Extravagant as the tech in that show may appear, I'd like to know...how does one get invited to such a thing? I'd love to attend something like that someday!...even if much of the DIY stuff we do smokes some of that stuff.
post #15 of 30 Old 03-16-2015, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montucky View Post
Extravagant as the tech in that show may appear, I'd like to know...how does one get invited to such a thing? I'd love to attend something like that someday!...even if much of the DIY stuff we do smokes some of that stuff.
I only know how to get in as press... I have no idea what the criteria is for invited guests, but doI know that you can ask for an invite to a future event from this contact page... http://theluxuryreview.com/contact-us/

Mark Henninger
post #16 of 30 Old 03-16-2015, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
I only know how to get in as press... I have no idea what the criteria is for invited guests, but doI know that you can ask for an invite to a future event from this contact page...
Awesome! Thank you for posting that! As much as some of the products may not be for most of here, many of us have clients who would love some of these things. This show could actually give me some level of insight to some products that might actually do well for some markets. Hope I can score an invite for next year's show!

I usually think along the lines of what can I afford, but sometimes I have to get out of that mindset to better serve certain customers, some of whom couldn't care less about getting the most bang for the buck, but would rather blow their neighbors out of the water. Haha. Some of these products are made for exactly that person in mind.
post #17 of 30 Old 03-16-2015, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Maybe next year? I'm not sure there's room for more than two high-end audio displays at that show. I do love Steinway Lyngdorf's approach to sound reproduction, but the McIntosh system that was on display was no slouch either.
Yeah big fan of McIntosh as well. Love my MX-150 in my biggest current HT system. Mind you it's giving way to a Marantz 8802 shortly. Don't suppose McIntosh shared anything about a replacement for the MX-151 at the show?
post #18 of 30 Old 03-17-2015, 04:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Some day we will all see it.

With the latest generation not even being interested in a driver's license I see this or the CES replacing the auto show. Imagine the interest in a traveling Consumer Electronics Show. Just seems inevitable.
post #19 of 30 Old 03-17-2015, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
enough about the gear where are the pictures of the hot models?
Every entry had the respective brand's newest hot model on display.
imagic likes this.
post #20 of 30 Old 03-17-2015, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 249
I would like to see more video follow up on the Sim 3 projector and the screens being used...
imagic likes this.

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" Screen AVR: Onkyo TX-NR646 ATMOS/DTSX + Darbee 5000
Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR),
Onkyo THX Bookshelf Speakers (Ceiling L/R), (2) JL Audio 12" Subs + (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE
Arrangement: 5.1.2 Source: HTPC, Roku 4, Nexus Player, Samsung UBD-K8500 4k Bluray Player
post #21 of 30 Old 03-17-2015, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked: 1207
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R View Post
I've heard about this show. It's attended by bourgeois yuppie country club snobs who like to pay $100,000 for speakers that won't outperform the $5,000 Goldenear Triton One.

So I'll stick to my slightly more common and sensibly priced and reasonably marketed HT gear.
I was at the show last year, and you're much more wrong than right. Mostly better quality stuff that rightly commands a higher price.

Stop hating, you'll live longer...
OzHDHT likes this.

FS: JKP Affinity .09 Fixed Frame 2.35 screen, 12.5 feet wide - PM for details, ad not posted yet

Thrang's Home Theater, For Now...
post #22 of 30 Old 03-17-2015, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

^^ Good point Thrang. Perhaps GalvatronType_R would like to put his Onkyo and Def techs in a shoot out with my SL system or MX-150 + Revel separates system (being the more budget of the two lol) .
post #23 of 30 Old 03-24-2015, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Ugh. More "buy our automation gear that is locked in and proprietary and only works with our pricey 'whole house' solution base" nonsense. They just don't give up do they. Its like Home Theater Remotes with their idiotic "you people are too stupid to program your own remotes - or we want to artificially support the middle-man industry of installers" nonsense.

I'm smart, can use a multimeter, and damnit all I want is a seasonal adjusting self setting clocked switch (we have those) that also has a phone-app to remotely turn it on and off - WITHOUT having to buy a whole house system.
post #24 of 30 Old 03-24-2015, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanMan View Post
Ugh. More "buy our automation gear that is locked in and proprietary and only works with our pricey 'whole house' solution base" nonsense. They just don't give up do they. Its like Home Theater Remotes with their idiotic "you people are too stupid to program your own remotes - or we want to artificially support the middle-man industry of installers" nonsense.

I'm smart, can use a multimeter, and damnit all I want is a seasonal adjusting self setting clocked switch (we have those) that also has a phone-app to remotely turn it on and off - WITHOUT having to buy a whole house system.
Are billionaires too stupid to drive their own cars or fly their own airplanes? There's a market for stuff that costs a lot and simply works, that's why it's luxury instead of DIY.
OzHDHT and Ph8te like this.

Mark Henninger
post #25 of 30 Old 03-25-2015, 12:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've used Logitech Harmony in my home for years and rolled it out myself for living room and HT. However, when I forked out for a fit out in the townhouse I recently bought, the A/V store I've bought from for many years specced Control4 into the quote to run whole house. I was skeptical at first and found C4 kind of a very dumbed down system for A/V in a lot of ways- can't drill down to access deeper levels of settings on specific devices for example . However after rolling out the functionality for AC and lighting, I found it was really quite practical and most importantly easy for everyone generally to use. The simplicity was important as I'm not there all the time and I get friends and family staying there, didn't need the calls and texts for help all the time cause people couldn't turn on the living room TV and watch cable easily. To think of the time involved to roll out a DIY custom control system of that level of integration, there was zero chance I had the time or really enough know how to do it efficiently. So moral of my story is be Cestron or Control4, its horses for courses my Teutonic fruend..
post #26 of 30 Old 03-25-2015, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked: 1207
Quote:

Why not get an Insteon-based system? Switches are about $50, and browser-GUI network controllers range from $100-600. Several apps are available to control devices.

Depending upon your house, you might need one or two repeaters, but the more switches/outlets you add further solidifies system reliability without them.

FS: JKP Affinity .09 Fixed Frame 2.35 screen, 12.5 feet wide - PM for details, ad not posted yet

Thrang's Home Theater, For Now...
post #27 of 30 Old 10-08-2015, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Awesome show!!!
post #28 of 30 Old 10-08-2015, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Wish I was there.
post #29 of 30 Old 10-28-2015, 07:46 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Quote:
Sweet thank you can you post a video of the demo room. Where is the Harman Flagship Store in Manhattan I might visit it next time I go to NY?
post #30 of 30 Old 10-28-2015, 07:48 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Quote:
I only know how to get in as press... I have no idea what the criteria is for invited guests, but doI know that you can ask for an invite to a future event from this contact page... http://theluxuryreview.com/contact-us/
Definitely the top 0.1%
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Latest Industry News

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page