Consumer Reports Reviews LG 55EG9600 OLED UHDTV - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 100Likes

post #1 of 55 Old 07-10-2015, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3001 Post(s)
Liked: 4715
Consumer Reports Reviews LG 55EG9600 OLED UHDTV

According to the review, it's "among the best TVs we've tested." A screen uniformity issue popped up, but "the pros outweigh the cons."

------

LG is the only TV maker currently selling OLED TVs to consumers. The latest models feature UHD resolution, and a 65" 65EG9600 recently won the Value Electronics shootout at CE Week 2015. The win came despite the presence of a noticeable screen uniformity issue involving darkened edges—it's clearly visible in the above photo, which was taken from the review. OLED beat the latest full-array local dimming LCDs because transmissive displays can't match the contrast and ultra deep blacks produced by emissive displays.

In a just published review, Consumer Reports takes a close look at the 55" 55EG9600, which is a smaller version of the TV in the shootout. It's an interesting read, ultimately the authors—Jim Wilcox and Claudio Ciacci—conclude they'd take a 2015 OLED over any LCD panel that's available. Notably, that's despite the known issues with this year's OLEDs.

"But the LG OLED TV also has some flaws that detract from its overall performance. In fact, the first set we purchased had an issue significant enough that we had to have its panel replaced. As a result, we bought another set just to make sure that what we saw wasn't an anomaly. Still, despite some of the issues we found, most of us here would pick this TV out of all the TVs we've tested this year as the one we'd most like to own." - Consumer Reports

I think the review offers perspective on why the LG OLED won the 2015 shootout. It makes me impatient for the technology to mature into something affordable and free of anomalies. If you get a chance, read the full review and share your thoughts here.

Direct link: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...view/index.htm

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+

Mark Henninger

Last edited by imagic; 07-11-2015 at 06:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 07-10-2015, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 589
At these prices, these "flaws" are unacceptable to me. At least these guys saw them unlike some reviewers. It is a personal decision to be sure, but I would see the dark edges and they. Would drive me nuts.

Louder is NOT better!
post #3 of 55 Old 07-10-2015, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 45
If they can get the Flat 9500 to fix the dark edges and around 5K for a 65" I'm sold

Denon X4000 | Definitive Technology SM65 (L/R) | Definitive Technology Mythos 10 (C) | HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #4 of 55 Old 07-10-2015, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Unfortunate their new model has such flaws, not what I expected.
Pleased to say I've had an LG 55EA8800 for 13 months, no complaints.
post #5 of 55 Old 07-10-2015, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 62
For my living room, my next TV is going to be an OLED UHDTV.
But I prefer to wait for one that will not have such obvious flaw(s).
Did you see those vertical bars? Come on LG, is that the best you can do?...
oneeyeblind and Yappadappadu like this.

Stef

Last edited by stef2; 07-10-2015 at 03:01 PM.
post #6 of 55 Old 07-10-2015, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked: 726
Waiting for a fix and for prices to be more reasonable.

I would like Oled to be my next display ......

David Mathews and oneeyeblind like this.

Last edited by losservatore; 07-10-2015 at 03:13 PM.
post #7 of 55 Old 07-10-2015, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip View Post
At these prices, these "flaws" are unacceptable to me. At least these guys saw them unlike some reviewers. It is a personal decision to be sure, but I would see the dark edges and they. Would drive me nuts.
At what price level would the flaws not drive you nuts?
JP32, [Irishman] and Helson like this.
post #8 of 55 Old 07-10-2015, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

From the consumer reports review:

"And in many ways, the 55-inch LG 55EG9600 set ($5,500) is among the best TVs we've tested. In fact, if it weren't for mediocre sound quality, it would have the highest overall score of any set in our TV Ratings"

Two things about those comments: I find it silly that they are reducing the score because of the built in speakers on such a premium high priced TV, since anyone who can afford one of them is highly unlikely to use the built in speakers anyway. Secondly: Amazon is selling the model for a thousand less than the price that Consumer Reports quoted.
post #9 of 55 Old 07-10-2015, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1824 Post(s)
Liked: 1116
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

"And in many ways, the 55-inch LG 55EG9600 set ($5,500) is among the best TVs we've tested. In fact, if it weren't for mediocre sound quality, it would have the highest overall score of any set in our TV Ratings"

Two things about those comments: I find it silly that they are reducing the score because of the built in speakers on such a premium high priced TV, since anyone who can afford one of them is highly unlikely to use the built in speakers anyway. Secondly: Amazon is selling the model for a thousand less than the price that Consumer Reports quoted.
The price dropped to 7000 2 days ago for 65 inch probably can be found cheaper @ local dealer..
oneeyeblind likes this.

65HU8700- SEK 3500U/60F8500/51D6900/46B650/Onkyo TX-NR616
Xbox one/PS4/PC R9 290/Wii U
post #10 of 55 Old 07-10-2015, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 298
"Overall, the LG 55EG9600 is among the best TVs we've tested this year, and some of the flaws we noted pale in comparison to the various image-related anomalies we see every day when we test LCD sets."

Pretty much Katzmaier's take. I guess the question becomes to what extent do these anomalies apply to the the Sony and Samsung flagship models from the shootout?

Samsung PN51F8500
Samsung PN60E7000
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
Vizio SB4051-C0 Soundbar w/wireless Subwoofer
post #11 of 55 Old 07-10-2015, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
at what price level would the flaws not drive you nuts?
$500.00

Louder is NOT better!
post #12 of 55 Old 07-10-2015, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 169
It may be quite telling that my first reaction upon reading this post, then the review, is to wonder what will Ken think and do now?

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shovelling it.

post #13 of 55 Old 07-10-2015, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
These flaws are simply unacceptable, period.
post #14 of 55 Old 07-10-2015, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 169
I know others have speculated to why the banding occurs, could it be a combination of the video processing and the curve of the panel causing these artifacts?
oneeyeblind likes this.

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shovelling it.

post #15 of 55 Old 07-10-2015, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicrecording View Post
These flaws are simply unacceptable, period.
Agreed. At $500 it wouldn't drive me nuts. I still wouldn't want this set. These reviewers need to look at much more content. I have seen this issues in more than just darker material.

Louder is NOT better!
post #16 of 55 Old 07-10-2015, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 95
I remember when plasmas first came out there was a commercial with one hanging on a wall. That blew everyone's mind, but when folks found out that that 40" TV cost upwards of ten grand...yeah right.

When the 65" version of the LG OLED TV reviewed is at the $2k price point, I'll be a buyer. By then, the bugs will be worked out. I refuse to pay a 300%-500% markup for bleeding-edge tech unless my job was to sit around and watch TV all day...that is, IF you can find something to watch which will look 300%-500% better than the current 65" 4k whatever bought wherever for ~$2k. Good luck.

These things depreciate FAST. Better to wait a year or two.

B&W CM9 S2, B&W CMC2 S2, DefTech XTR-20BP, Dual SVS SB-2000, Parasound Halo A21, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Samsung UN55F8000, Apple Mac Mini, Iomega NAS
post #17 of 55 Old 07-10-2015, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
$500.00
JWhip I was thinking zero
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #18 of 55 Old 07-10-2015, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
How serious is the burn in problem? The LG warranty does not cover burn in.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #19 of 55 Old 07-11-2015, 02:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Dark edges is so bad of a fault im waiting to se If the 2016 line up is better.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #20 of 55 Old 07-11-2015, 03:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Good and fair review. If I were looking for a TV the OLED would be at or near the top of my list. The dark edges thing really isn't a big deal. It occurs less than 1% of the time and outside of this, the image quality is clearly superior. Until 4K content is readily available, I see no need to rush out and buy a new TV. I can wait.
post #21 of 55 Old 07-11-2015, 04:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:

Most of the CR readership does not use an external sound system, even many of those who could afford such sets. Many object to the home decor issues of such audio systems.

post #22 of 55 Old 07-11-2015, 04:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Interesting that Mark uses the term "perspective" in his post.

Let somebody else pay for the display and I might pick the 9600. ....and in a few months when newer models appear, that somebody else can buy me one of those too.

But if I'm paying for it, nope....no way. I'll likely keep any new display for a minimum of a couple of years and I'd rather keep what I've got than buy a display that is inherently defective.

Flame suit on for my Saturday morning toasting.
post #23 of 55 Old 07-11-2015, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Ack. I hate edge dimming. Reminds me of early rear projection systems. Makes new tech look old. When prices crashed on the Sony KDLxxW850Bs, I went to a store to check them out, saw less pronounced edge dimming than this, and still thought....no way I can live with that no matter what the price.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #24 of 55 Old 07-11-2015, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quoted: 3001 Post(s)
Liked: 4715
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
Interesting that Mark uses the term "perspective" in his post.

Let somebody else pay for the display and I might pick the 9600. ....and in a few months when newer models appear, that somebody else can buy me one of those too.

But if I'm paying for it, nope....no way. I'll likely keep any new display for a minimum of a couple of years and I'd rather keep what I've got than buy a display that is inherently defective.

Flame suit on for my Saturday morning toasting.
Here's some more perspective...

"Like most TVs CNET reviews, my review sample was provided by the manufacturer. The original sample LG sent developed an issue midway through the testing process, where a line of stuck pixels appeared down the middle of the screen and stayed there regardless of my efforts to remove it. LG replaced that review sample with a second one, but has yet to provide an explanation of what happened. I consider this incident a fluke, and any owner who saw it as early as I did could resort to the warranty, but still worth mentioning since it's something I've never experienced before." -CNET

"But the LG OLED TV also has some flaws that detract from its overall performance. In fact, the first set we purchased had an issue significant enough that we had to have its panel replaced. As a result, we bought another set just to make sure that what we saw wasn't an anomaly." - Consumer Reports

Granted, it was not the same issue. The issue CNET ran into sounds like a sample defect, whereas the darkened edges CR saw are a flaw found in many samples. My point is, how often do you see two reviews of the same model start with the reviewer having to repair/replace the TV?

Mark Henninger

Last edited by imagic; 07-11-2015 at 07:49 AM.
post #25 of 55 Old 07-11-2015, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrummingdude View Post
I remember when plasmas first came out there was a commercial with one hanging on a wall. That blew everyone's mind, but when folks found out that that 40" TV cost upwards of ten grand...yeah right.

When the 65" version of the LG OLED TV reviewed is at the $2k price point, I'll be a buyer. By then, the bugs will be worked out. I refuse to pay a 300%-500% markup for bleeding-edge tech unless my job was to sit around and watch TV all day...that is, IF you can find something to watch which will look 300%-500% better than the current 65" 4k whatever bought wherever for ~$2k. Good luck.

These things depreciate FAST. Better to wait a year or two.
I'm with that DrummingDude. I'm extremely happy and patient with my 3 yr old Samsung un60es8000. Its not perfect but its well calibrated, operates perfectly and the price was so good at the time i've never remorsed that decision.

I do want OLED but I'm definately waiting on the sidelines for another 18 to 24 months to see where the quality, flaws and price settles in.

There are amazing prices on quality LCD right now at all sizes that anyone budget conscious aficionado will be pleased for now.
oneeyeblind likes this.

Love for all things Hi-def...Losing count; 200 plus bluray, 500 plus dvd, 30 plus HDdvd and a rapidly growing 50 plus in the cloud.

Last edited by Bladerunner1959; 07-11-2015 at 07:48 AM. Reason: add text
post #26 of 55 Old 07-11-2015, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
Waiting for a fix and for prices to be more reasonable.

I would like Oled to be my next display ......

Indeed. One must wonder in respect and awe at the capability of the human eye, even this contrast level is nothing compared to what we can see in terms of dynamic range. It's extremely important from an evolutionary perspective to distinguish rapid, drastic, or subtle changes in luminance to properly identify prey or predators, in various light conditions, and at various times of day or night. There is nothing that's been left to chance, we are well adapted to living, surviving, and thriving in a world with extremes in dynamics, and that's thanks to billions of years of evolution. Changes and subtleties in color aren't as important, obviously. Color patterns are much easier to identify than shape silhouettes, and color is drastically reduced in the dark when it's most dangerous to be a living creature on planet earth.

It's great that engineers who designed and built our video signals and displays are finally achieving something resembling what we see when we can see, when we look in any direction other than that television's tiny window into other worlds...How can one be truly immersed in a flat image? People often say HDR looks 3D like, this is not a coincidence, a good part of 3D perception isn't from stereopsy but from lighting, and that's improved drastically with high contrast, high dynamic range displays.

I learned much from this website, thanks AVS! You have some truly great contributors here. Science and engineering, working hand in hand, taking into account the evolved qualities in our perceptual system to better deliver engaging experiences. It's only going to get better from here.

/Can't wait to see Star Wars 7 in 4K HDR on an OLED next year, even if I have to steal one! j/k
DeadEd, stef2, oneeyeblind and 3 others like this.
post #27 of 55 Old 07-11-2015, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Consumer Reports

The first OLED set before the panel was replaced. Note the slight vertical stripes.
"Slight"?

David Mackenzie
DVD/BD Compressionist/Author
Reviewer & Tech Consultant, HDTVtest
post #28 of 55 Old 07-11-2015, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyris View Post
"Slight"?
You appear to be forming some judgement based on a dodgy photograph.
post #29 of 55 Old 07-11-2015, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

Hi, guys. A TV's sound is part of our overall score, given that we review TVs at all sizes and price points and most people still don't use an external sound system. (Of course, those with larger sets, and pricier models, tend to use outboard sound systems more frequently.) So sound is part of a TV's overall score, but picture quality scores are separate, and you can simply ignore the sound score (and to a degree, the overall score) if you intend to use a separate sound system. Regarding the price, these of course change dramatically, and when we bought this set—actually both sets—it was $5,500, so that price is what's reflected in the article. A few days ago LG cut the price of both the 65- and 55-inch EG9600 sets, by $2,000 and $500, respectively, if I remember correctly—so they're both appreciably less expensive now. When we bought Samsung's 65-inch JS9500 SUHD set, we paid $6,000; it's now $5,000 at several of the better retailers, and as low as $4,500 at some of the cheaper chains. —Jim Willcox
DeadEd and steveting99 like this.

Last edited by JakeNY28; 07-11-2015 at 10:15 AM. Reason: typos
post #30 of 55 Old 07-11-2015, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeNY28 View Post
Hi, guys. A TV's sound is part of our overall score, given that we review TVs at all sizes and price points and most people still don't use an external sound system. (Of course, those with larger sets, and pricier models, tend to use outboard sound systems more frequently.) So sound is part of a TV's overall score, but picture quality scores are separate, and you can simply ignore the sound score (and to a degree, the overall score) if you intend to use a separate sound system. Regarding the price, these of course change dramatically, and when we bought this set—actually both sets—it was $5,500, so that price is what's reflected in the article. A few days ago LG cut the price of both the 65- and 55-inch EG9600 sets, by $2,000 and $500, respectively, if I remember correctly—so they're both appreciably less expensive now. When we bought Samsung's 65-inch JS9500 SUHD set, we paid $6,000; it's now $5,000 at several of the better retailers, and as low as $4,500 at some of the cheaper chains. —Jim Willcox
Here is the difference between scoring the quality of the audio and scoring the quality of the video on a premium TV model.

The video quality can not be improved on beyond what the display is capable off providing. If someone does not like the quality of the audio provided by the display, they do have the option to plug in a much better audio system, if it is important to them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
frontpage , oled

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page