Four New Movies in Dolby Vision HDR - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 11Likes
post #1 of 39 Unread 07-22-2015, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 2188
Four New Movies in Dolby Vision HDR

Dolby Vision is the most exciting thing to happen to commercial cinema since—well, Dolby Atmos. Four new titles are due out this year.

Following the first three movies released in Dolby Vision high dynamic range—Tomorrowland, San Andreas, and Inside Out—four new titles were announced today: Pixels from Sony Pictures (July 24), Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation from Paramount (July 31), Everest from Universal (September), and The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2 from Lionsgate (November 20). Not only that, Fox announced plans to deliver its first slate of Dolby Vision movies, but no titles or dates were revealed.

As most AVS members know, Dolby Vision is a new format that encodes native-HDR content and displays it in HDR using laser-illuminated projectors in special theaters called Dolby Cinemas. These theaters also include Dolby Atmos immersive sound and stadium seating for what is billed as the ultimate cinema experience—and from my own direct experience, I have to agree.

Unfortunately, there are very few Dolby Cinemas in operation as of now—five in the US and a few in Europe; for a complete list of current and upcoming venues, click here. If you live near any of them, I strongly encourage you to see these particular movies in that theater—it's a far better experience than any conventional digital-cinema presentation.

Note that Dolby Cinemas also show movies graded in standard dynamic range, so don't expect those to look as good as titles actually graded in Dolby Vision.

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Unread 07-22-2015, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post

Unfortunately, there are very few Dolby Cinemas in operation as of now—five in the US and a few in Europe; for a complete list of current and upcoming venues, click here. If you live near any of them, I strongly encourage you to see these particular movies in that theater—it's a far better experience than any conventional digital-cinema presentation.

I've pretty much given up on going to theaters, but I may have to check this out. The Hollywood and Burbank theaters are in range...it must be worth it, for these kind of glowing reviews.
post #3 of 39 Unread 07-22-2015, 10:38 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2254 Post(s)
Liked: 1885
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-dog-avs View Post
I've pretty much given up on going to theaters, but I may have to check this out. The Hollywood and Burbank theaters are in range...it must be worth it, for these kind of glowing reviews.
Shoot for the AMC in Burbank. Much better presentation and comfort than the El Capitan in Hollywood. Though that place is nice to check out for historical interest, the A/V is better at the Prime and so are the seats.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz ***FOR SALE***

Plan9Reloaded Co-host
Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)
https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link
http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website
post #4 of 39 Unread 07-22-2015, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Dolby Vision is the most exciting thing to happen to commercial cinema since—well, Dolby Atmos. Four new titles are due out this year.
Dolby Atmos was exciting for very few people (most of us hear). My Wife and Kids could careless and I do not think they would notice for the few times something flys over head.

Dolby Vision will be exciting to most people because it's there in your face. I really hope Dolby Vision takes off and becomes wide spread. They really need to do this before HDR becomes mainstream at home. Most AVS members have on par or better audio at home and a big screen is available if you have the space. Source content is rare for HDR so I will pay to see it on the big screen. I just wish I had a close option.
post #5 of 39 Unread 07-22-2015, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Does this mean there will be a UHD HDR blu-ray version of these movies available?
post #6 of 39 Unread 07-22-2015, 11:03 AM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post
Does this mean there will be a UHD HDR blu-ray version of these movies available?
20th Century Fox Home Video said that they plan to support HDR for their new release movies on UHD Blu-ray. They have not said what they plan to do (with HDR) on catalog titles but some are going to be available in HDR.
Dhalmo likes this.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host
Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)
post #7 of 39 Unread 07-22-2015, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Come on Dolby, Pittsburgh is waiting.

No Atmos and no HDR yet

My basement media room and bar
Epson 2030, Onkyo TX-NR626, and Kodi based system

Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #8 of 39 Unread 07-22-2015, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
Shoot for the AMC in Burbank. Much better presentation and comfort than the El Capitan in Hollywood. Though that place is nice to check out for historical interest, the A/V is better at the Prime and so are the seats.
I couldn't agree more! Also, the AMC Burbank 16 Prime is less expensive than the El Capitan, at least for good seats.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #9 of 39 Unread 07-22-2015, 11:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East, dts:x Films: Under the Skin, 3D, Birdman, x_machina, The Zero Theorem, Interstellar
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 5016 Post(s)
Liked: 2099
Till Dolby Vision HDR, and well, Dolby Atmos, gain more presence in our own home theaters @ home...the world will keep spinning round and round only for the very few fortunate ones.

One, as you mentioned Scott, the need for more expansion and solid foot tracking in accessibility, in software, in streaming, in physical discs, gear @ home, more HDR theaters across the globe, not only around Beverly Hills, ...all that movie jazz don't mean much @ all for 99.999% of the general population.

Two, the world we live in...capital, interests, royalties, getting richer, and complaining about free access that isn't free after all; pain from poor quality, bad movies without any essence, paying outrageous monthly payments for downloading excremental poor quality...visual and auditory...without counting all the anomalies, inconsistencies, interruptions, ...all that jazz.

Three, it's a bottleneck. Nothing is adjusted to deliver the full potential for too many reasons.

* I might sound pessimistic, that's because I am realistic. Hey, we don't even have a Dolby Atmos theater here where I live in paradise.
So, Dolby Vision HDR here; yeah, maybe in twenty years from now...maybe. ...And I ain't moving close to Hollywood any time soon...among all the shining stars and all that jazz.
...Including Prince, and Neil Young too, even if he's Canadian.

Today that's the way I feel, after reading this new introduction about them four flicks. ...It's an opinion, mine.
post #10 of 39 Unread 07-22-2015, 11:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East, dts:x Films: Under the Skin, 3D, Birdman, x_machina, The Zero Theorem, Interstellar
Quote:
Good luck to all of us.
post #11 of 39 Unread 07-22-2015, 11:29 AM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
I couldn't agree more! Also, the AMC Burbank 16 Prime is less expensive than the El Capitan, at least for good seats.
Good point! Almost forgot about that huge price at El Capitan.

I went there to see Tomorrowland and I'm glad I went but will probably not go there again. At least, not if I can avoid it. Wow! $28 for a ticket. Yikes!

Plan9Reloaded Co-host
post #12 of 39 Unread 07-22-2015, 11:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2480 Post(s)
Liked: 1494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklightning View Post
Dolby Vision will be exciting to most people because it's there in your face.
It's not that dramatic with most material.

Sanjay
post #13 of 39 Unread 07-22-2015, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 591
When HDR comes to NYC I will travel up to see it as there are none in Philly. Gee, we still don't have Atmos. I would love to see the new MI flick in HDR.

Louder is NOT better!
post #14 of 39 Unread 07-22-2015, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
It's not that dramatic with most material.
For me, it was very dramatic with Tomorrowland, but not as much with Inside Out...strange. I will certainly see all four of these movies in DV to see how dramatic it is across more titles.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #15 of 39 Unread 07-22-2015, 12:01 PM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
For me, it was very dramatic with Tomorrowland, but not as much with Inside Out...strange. I will certainly see all four of these movies in DV to see how dramatic it is across more titles.
Funny. The group of us that went to see Tomorrowland came out scratching our heads afterwards. We all agree that the picture was really good but "dramatic" was not a description either of us used. Lot's of "I don't know" and "Not sure" in there along with "could have just been cuz it's laser".

I'm gonna keep trying though. Not sure if I'll catch Pixels but I'm down to see MI:5 in HDR.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host
post #16 of 39 Unread 07-22-2015, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked: 603
Quote:
Virtually all new 4K U-Ray releases will be graded for HDR. While DV should be an improvement in theaters, it should actually look better at home. Even with these new laser projector they can not hit the black levels and peak white levels of a full fledged FALD at 1000+ nits. Also, they would have to be regraded for U-Ray and would look different depending on how aggressive the color grading process. The most interesting piece of news is FOX confirming they will be releasing DV movies for the theater as well. Seems like like most major studios are on board with DV, so I would expect many U-Ray titles to include the base SMPTE HDR 10 and the DV option as well.
timc1475 and Dhalmo like this.

DON'T ARGUE WITH ME. I AM NEVER WONG.
post #17 of 39 Unread 07-22-2015, 12:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2480 Post(s)
Liked: 1494
Quote:
For me, it was very dramatic with Tomorrowland, but not as much with Inside Out...strange.
Not so strange, considering how much other technologies (e.g., Atmos) vary from movie to movie. I've seen dramatic SDR vs HDR comparisons on flat panel displays, but Tomorrowland on the big screen just looked like what I'm used to seeing on a good plasma TV. I'm not complaining, since it is better than what I see in the other 99.9% of movie theatres, but it wasn't some 'in your face, never seen before' image. Maybe sytech's post above explains why.

Sanjay
post #18 of 39 Unread 07-22-2015, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 882
So this announcement is only for Theatrical Dolby Vision, which is the same thing as (~100nit) SDR UHD for home consumption.

Any announcements on a home version of these movies with content regraded from the theatrical to the much more advertised and higher brightness levels of home HDR (1,000 nits and beyond)?
post #19 of 39 Unread 07-22-2015, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:

I went there to see Tomorrowland and I'm glad I went but will probably not go there again. At least, not if I can avoid it. Wow! $28 for a ticket. Yikes!
Hah! You forgot parking in Hollywood!

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #20 of 39 Unread 07-22-2015, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post
Hah! You forgot parking in Hollywood!
Actually, the El Cap provides four hours of parking validation for the Hollywood & Highland complex across the street, which makes it very cheap if you don't dawdle for hours beyond the movie.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #21 of 39 Unread 07-22-2015, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Actually, the El Cap provides four hours of parking validation for the Hollywood & Highland complex across the street, which makes it very cheap if you don't dawdle for hours beyond the movie.

I'll be staying with family in Hollywood this weekend. Wished they were showing something I'd be really interested in seeing.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
post #22 of 39 Unread 07-22-2015, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I wonder if I will be able to see one of those HDR movies before needing cataract surgery... (I'm in my early 40')

Stef
post #23 of 39 Unread 07-22-2015, 08:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Gas, parking, popcorn, beverage, pizza, ...crowd, stress, chewing gum on the floor, coca-cola on the seat (sticky derriere)...that you brought back in your car seat, the entire adventure...with all the bumps and ups...most likely more than $28. ...Just wait for it on Netflix.

* Ant-Woman?
post #24 of 39 Unread 07-22-2015, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
So this announcement is only for Theatrical Dolby Vision, which is the same thing as (~100nit) SDR UHD for home consumption.

Any announcements on a home version of these movies with content regraded from the theatrical to the much more advertised and higher brightness levels of home HDR (1,000 nits and beyond)?
I thought theater Dolby Vision is 10,000 nits.
post #25 of 39 Unread 07-23-2015, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 882
They can't hit that number. They've managed to double up from 50nits to ~100nits though in the cinemas. Of course us home users are already used to 100nits but have only had HD limitations for color/depth/resolution. Makes it kind of confusing since currently theater HDR is actually the same Dynamic Range as SDR at home.

If they took a UHD bluray and put the theater HDR print on it it would be 100 nit. What they are supposed to be doing is modifying the theatrical release and regrading the content to a much higher brightness (~1,000 nit) and then branding that as HDR on our blurays. The SDR blus will still be 100 nits though. The nomenclature being the same for both home\theater just adds to the confusion.

10,000 nits is the stated objective for the distant future for DV.

edit: what's still unclear about the home version regrading process is whether they will be upping the brightness overall, or whether they will keep most of the scenes relatively the same but exaggerate the spectral highlites with the extra brightness to create a certain type of effect. I'm hoping we get the option for a theater version of the HDR presentation that gets marketed to us as UHD SDR Blu, or that the disc can downconvert to the theatrical presentation.

Last edited by mo949; 07-23-2015 at 10:10 AM.
post #26 of 39 Unread 07-23-2015, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I'm really wondering why AMC bothered to put the Dolby Cinema at their Town Center 20 theater in Leawood, KS. It wasn't ready until the day Inside Out opened, but they did not use it for that, instead opting to have Jurassic World there. Now the next movie with HDR comes out with Pixels and again they are not showing it (Ant-Man is in there, which at least has Atmos). What is even more bizarre is that they did not have Inside Out at all, and don't appear to have Pixels showing at all either.

The Hodor Theater - In Progress
Projector - Panasonic PT-AE8000U
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT
Surround/Back Speakers - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M
Subwoofers - Dual Passive JTR Captivator Pros
Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR608

Last edited by ChldsPlay; 07-23-2015 at 10:46 AM.
post #27 of 39 Unread 07-23-2015, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
I'm really wondering why AMC bothered to put the Dolby Cinema at their Town Center 20 theater in Leawood, KS. It wasn't ready until the day Inside Out opened, but they did not use it for that, instead opting to have Jurassic World there. Now the next movie with HDR comes out with Pixels and again they are not showing it (Ant-Man is in there, which at least has Atmos). What is even more bizarre is that they did not have Inside Out at all, and don't appear to have Pixels showing at all either.
That's bizarre, for sure! I'd complain to the theater if I lived in that area.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #28 of 39 Unread 07-23-2015, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip View Post
When HDR comes to NYC I will travel up to see it as there are none in Philly. Gee, we still don't have Atmos. I would love to see the new MI flick in HDR.
AMC 25 in Time Square has a Dolby Cinema. I called and they told me its finished however I can't confirm because I haven't see it w/ my own eyes (yet). Hopefully Mission Impossible will play there.
post #29 of 39 Unread 07-23-2015, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
20th Century Fox Home Video said that they plan to support HDR for their new release movies on UHD Blu-ray. They have not said what they plan to do (with HDR) on catalog titles but some are going to be available in HDR.
Don't leave out M-GO, Amazon and Netflix, there offering HDR by years end or sooner, you can leave out disk.

And the payoff is never certain: Some observers contend that a generation has already been trained to be content with the small screen.
post #30 of 39 Unread 07-23-2015, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
That's bizarre, for sure! I'd complain to the theater if I lived in that area.
Theater manager is, _______ (fill in the blank). Under licensing agreements with Dolby, AMC has to show HDR releases for not less than 30 days at a Dolby Cinema/AMC prime. If no HDR is currently out, AMC can use the screen to book whatever they want. Local managers do not know this, and that is an issue AMC is addressing, as these are still small in number.

And the payoff is never certain: Some observers contend that a generation has already been trained to be content with the small screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
frontpage