The new titles will be presented in Dolby Cinema theaters with Dolby Vision HDR and Atmos sound. They should be a superb movie experience!

As many AVS readers know by now, I'm very bullish on Dolby Vision high dynamic range (HDR) projection and Atmos immersive sound. Movies created and presented with these technologies in Dolby Cinema theaters have the potential to look and sound far better than they do in conventional venues. So far, I've seen four such presentations— Tomorrowland , Inside Out , Pixels , and Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation . I've been impressed with all of them, but some took advantage of HDR more effectively than others; see my reports about them at the links tied to each title above.

Today, Dolby announced five new movies that will be presented in Dolby Cinema theaters with Dolby Vision HDR and Atmos immersive sound: The Perfect Guy (Sept. 11), Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials (Sept. 18), The Martian (Oct. 2), Pan (Oct. 9), and In the Heart of the Sea (Dec. 11). Previously announced, upcoming titles include Everest (Sept. 25), The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2 (Nov. 20), and The Jungle Book (2016), bringing the total number of movies that have been or will be released in Dolby Vision and Atmos to 13, with all the major Hollywood studios now on board the Dolby Cinema bandwagon.

For those who aren't familiar with it, Dolby Vision is a new format that encodes native-HDR content and displays it in HDR using laser-illuminated projectors in special theaters called Dolby Cinemas. These theaters also include Dolby Atmos immersive sound and stadium seating with power recliners for what is billed as the ultimate cinema experience—and from my own direct experience, I have to agree.

Unfortunately, there are still only a few Dolby Cinemas in operation, though the number is growing—there are now eight in the US (plus the El Capitan in Hollywood, CA, which technically isn't a Dolby Cinema, but it does have Dolby Vision projection and Atmos sound) and two in Europe; for a complete list of current and coming-soon venues, click here . If you live near any of them, I strongly recommend that you see these particular movies in that theater—it's a far better experience than any conventional digital-cinema presentation. (The AMC Burbank 16 location will be closed over the next two weeks for renovations, including the addition of a video-wall entrance that is supposed to be part of the Dolby Cinema experience. So that theater won't be showing The Perfect Guy and maybe Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials, depending on when the work is actually finished.)

Note that Dolby Cinemas also show movies graded in standard dynamic range, so don't expect those to look as good as titles actually graded in Dolby Vision.