One Dozen Dolby Atmos Ultra HD Blu-Ray Titles Arrive Tuesday - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 56Likes

post #61 of 113 Old 02-29-2016, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Is HDR10 a HDR format on its own or is it just a base for other proprietary HDR formats like Dolby Vision to build upon? If I have a display that is not Dolby Vision compatible but has HDR10, can I still view a Dolby Vision movie in HDR using HDR10? If yes, how much of a downgrade in the HDR experience will there be viewing a Dolby Vision movie in only HDR10 (if it is possible)?
My understanding is that HDR10 and Dolby Vision are simply different implementations of HDR. HDR10 is more basic and open for anyone to use. Dolby Vision optimizes the HRD signal based on the monitor's capabilities, but it is proprietary and requires a fee for the player and TV manufacturers to use it. Which is why the UHD Blu-ray format made HDR10 mandatory and left the option for Dolby Vision (or other variants) if manufacturers want to include it.

Yes, if your display does not do Dolby Vision (like the vast majority of current HDR monitors do not) but does HDR10, then it will display the HDR10 from a UHD BD that has Dobly Vision.

This applies to UHD Blu-ray. Streaming and download services are not bound by the UHD Blu-ray specifications. So if your TV only does HDR10 it would not display any HDR if you were streaming something that was only Dobly Vision.

No idea how much of a downgrade, if any, one would see going from Dobly Vision to HDR10. I believe the main difference is that Dolby Vision allows the signal output to be optimized according to what your specific display can handle, while with HDR10 the different display manufacturers have to figure out how to best display HDR. But I'm not sure that there is really significant difference in the actual quality of the HDR. I think the difference is more in how easy, or not, it is to optimize the display to the HDR encode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 113 Old 02-29-2016, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I have a three-year-old Panasonic plasma 65VT50 which has incredible color and blacks, coupled with a BDT-500 blu-ray. And my sound system is 7.2.4 Atmos with a Yamaha RX-A3050 and all Klipsch Reference speakers.

Recently I picked up a remastered copy of The Fifth Element, done up in 4K and Dolby Atmos. The opening scenes are jaw-dropping. I must somehow be benefiting from the 4K remaster in some sort on my 1080p plasma because the picture is as sharp as any UHD LED I've seen in big box stores. And, of course, the music and sound is incredible in Atmos. I highly recommend this classic.
post #63 of 113 Old 02-29-2016, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked: 592
I can't seem to find the release dates for Man of Steel and Pacific Rim. Anybody can help?

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo
ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED & WifiHifi Magazines
my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #64 of 113 Old 02-29-2016, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post
I got a 60ft Redmere cable back in '08 or so. Will it be compatible with 4K UHD streams?
If it is only from receiver to projector (no sound), based on my test sending 4K, WCG, HDR10, 4:4:4, 24fps, 10-bit colour, then you're fine.

my home theatre
post #65 of 113 Old 02-29-2016, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post
If it is only from receiver to projector (no sound), based on my test sending 4K, WCG, HDR10, 4:4:4, 24fps, 10-bit colour, then you're fine.
Thanks, currently it goes from pre-pro to my Pioneer Kuro (not 4K of ) but i was thinking ahead. So it won't be able to do 4K, HDR10, 4:4:4 @60fps with 10-bit color?

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #66 of 113 Old 02-29-2016, 05:33 PM

I can't try that because I don't have a source with that spec. The only 60fps source I have is 8-bit, WCG, SDR, 4:4:4.

my home theatre
post #67 of 113 Old 02-29-2016, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
LOVE the new 4K UHD blu ray player!!

I am on my second 4K UHD TV (a 2013 and now 2015 Samsung) and have been waiting for the 4K UHD blu ray to come about. I have had my Samsung UHD blu ray player since Feb. 10th and first set of 4K UHD blu rays discs shortly after. All I can is WOW!! And my UN65JU7500 doesn't even have HDR and it still looks amazing compared to upconverted 1080p blu rays. I am looking forward to the Lionsgate and Warner titles this week (pre-ordered MAD MAX FURY ROAD, THE LEGO MOVIE, THE LAST WITCH HUNTER, SICARIO, X-MEN, and a few others). Not interested in the Sony titles because I wouldn't even want those on standard blu rays.
I hear Samsung will be releasing their 2016 SUHD models KS9500 this spring and I am looking to do a third dip into the 4K TV pool (where some haven't one and here I am about to get my third!) and hoping this KS9500 will do me good for years to come. Just have to decide if I want to stick with 65 inches or jump up to 78 inches (lol). But for now I will enjoy my non-HDR JU7500 because it sure makes those UHD blu rays look awfully fine!!
post #68 of 113 Old 03-01-2016, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by montybritton View Post
I have had my Samsung UHD blu ray player since Feb. 10th and first set of 4K UHD blu rays discs shortly after.
How slow is the player at loading the UHD discs?
It is like going back 10 years to the first Blu-ray players...?

| NAD M17 (a/v processor & DAC)
| NAD M27 (multichannel poweramp)
PMC Twenty5.23 (5.2 speaker system)
OPPO UDP-203 (uhd blu-ray player)
LG OLED65C7 (oled display)
Check out my AVSForum review of the NAD M17 & M27 Master Series
post #69 of 113 Old 03-01-2016, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 37
No confusion

I am reading all of the posts regarding all of these cool new developments that we AVS addicts so enjoy but am concerned that the success of these new technologies are going to be tied to adoption by Mr. Joseph Sixpack.If clear benefits are set forth the products will be successful in the marketplace and the studios will produce more of the products that we crave.I am keeping my fingers crossed.I have been in this hobby since the VHS vs. Beta days....
Woobieizer likes this.
post #70 of 113 Old 03-01-2016, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by olinda cat View Post
...but am concerned that the success of these new technologies are going to be tied to adoption by Mr. Joseph Sixpack. If clear benefits are set forth the products will be successful in the marketplace and the studios will produce more of the products that we crave. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
I have been in this hobby since the VHS vs. Beta days....
Agreed, I've spoken to several ppl, lately. None have heard of this site, none have even one smart tv yet. My demographics to the mean average here are vastly different, thus I can relate to the Mr. Joseph Sixpack, Or Mrs. Hanna Harley.

Yet for physical media bound to internet connectivity. This is a disconcerting avenue of risk/reward.
olinda cat likes this.
post #71 of 113 Old 03-01-2016, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1394
Quote:
Originally Posted by styx rogan View Post
this could be the biggest BUST since 3d..most people seeing no difference tween rey and UHD blu rey
For resolution, yes, at typical TV sizes it's pointless to go UHD, but wider color gamut and high dynamic range? No way.

Anyone who can't tell the difference between HDR and SDR must be going blind and should have their eyes checked.

Seriously, an inability to adequately discern objects like pedestrians or other vehicles while they drive during the day or at night would probably make them a danger to themselves and others on the road.

The more I read about how sensitive the human eye is to a wide range of luminance the more I dislieve anyone anywhere claiming their cannot tell the difference between HDR and SDR, and this is more likely due to the fact that they have seen 4K via poor quality online streams in SDR only and that's not what you're getting with UHD Bluray.
captainbrent likes this.
post #72 of 113 Old 03-01-2016, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
So i read someone mention Joseph Sixpack. I'm his poor cousin. I use a PC to play whatever blu rays. Can someone confirm if the UHD blu ray playback works on a computer drive that supports BD-XL?

thanks,
Onlypennies Schmuck
krholmberg likes this.
post #73 of 113 Old 03-01-2016, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Why pay $50 for a Movie shot in 2K and upscaled to 4K??

Most movies sold as 4K was shot in 2K. I can upscale to 4K with my Blu ray player and Surround processor and get the same quality.

Most UH-Movies is a scam!
RickyDeg likes this.
post #74 of 113 Old 03-02-2016, 02:40 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Remember...It's still really early and a very exciting time!

Easy to forget all the cool stuff that we have to sort out right now;New JVC projectors,HDR&Ultra HD Blu-ray discs and players,11 channel AVR's that will work(all the latest specs) with all of the above (2016 Spring) ,In-Ceiling speakers for Atmos & DTS:X.Not many years do we have all of this stuff to sort out as a forum as this!!! I know that I will add an 11.2.4 capable AVR and 4 in-ceiling speakers and the forthcoming Oppo player this year.Bought new 120"diagonal screen to replace 104"diagonal to go with the new JVS rs-500 .Thank goodness for credit cards!
post #75 of 113 Old 03-02-2016, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCyclist View Post
They better do it soon because I think a lot of people aren't going to spend $500 plus on a player that doesn't do UHD at this point in time. I grabbed the Samsung UHD player yesterday and watched The Martian "4k" on my new JS9000 last night. I also watched Lucy which is just blu-ray with the Samsung and it looked amazing too.
I did the same thing. I am waiting for Oppo's UHD but I did get the Samsung 4K player just to have it. But hopefully Oppo drops their player soon....
post #76 of 113 Old 03-02-2016, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mry110 View Post
Is Game of Thrones Season 5 UHD a misprint in the article? I can't find anything on the internet about a UHD release.

I don't think it's releasing in UHD. It's releasing with Atmos. Now they could release it UHD in the future but as far as initial release on March 15th, it's Blu-ray with Atmos..
post #77 of 113 Old 03-02-2016, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by lempan View Post
Why pay $50 for a Movie shot in 2K and upscaled to 4K
I'm not going to get into the 2K/4K thing but who's paying $50 for a UHD movie? So far, they are coming in under $30, with many closer to $25...big difference and they will get cheaper! I must admit, I was surprised by these prices.

Marantz AV8802A | Wyred 4 Sound (500W X 3, 250W X 2) | Marantz MM7025 (140W X 2) | Oppo UDP-203 | ATV3 | Popcorn Hour V-Ten | LG OLED 65E6P | MiniDSP DDRC-88A | Oppo PM1 | APC H-15 power conditioners (x2)
GoldenEar Triton 1's (FL & FR) | SuperCenter XL (C) | Aon 2's (SL & SR) | SuperSat 3's (FHL & FHR) | SVS PB13-Ultra
post #78 of 113 Old 03-02-2016, 10:20 PM

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Quoted: 10177 Post(s)
Liked: 9156
Quote:
Originally Posted by montybritton View Post
I am on my second 4K UHD TV (a 2013 and now 2015 Samsung) and have been waiting for the 4K UHD blu ray to come about. I have had my Samsung UHD blu ray player since Feb. 10th and first set of 4K UHD blu rays discs shortly after. All I can is WOW!! And my UN65JU7500 doesn't even have HDR and it still looks amazing compared to upconverted 1080p blu rays. I am looking forward to the Lionsgate and Warner titles this week (pre-ordered MAD MAX FURY ROAD, THE LEGO MOVIE, THE LAST WITCH HUNTER, SICARIO, X-MEN, and a few others). Not interested in the Sony titles because I wouldn't even want those on standard blu rays.
I hear Samsung will be releasing their 2016 SUHD models KS9500 this spring and I am looking to do a third dip into the 4K TV pool (where some haven't one and here I am about to get my third!) and hoping this KS9500 will do me good for years to come. Just have to decide if I want to stick with 65 inches or jump up to 78 inches (lol). But for now I will enjoy my non-HDR JU7500 because it sure makes those UHD blu rays look awfully fine!!

TECHNICALLY, you do have HDR. you have HDR decoding which is changing the picture from if you did not have any hdr decoding at all. panel limitations will limit the effectiveness, but its there.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php...&id=1441271852

- “Samsung will issue a firmware update that will enable its 2015 SUHD and UHD TVs to display a broader library of High Dynamic Range (HDR) content now from external devices. HDR delivers a much higher level of contrast between light and dark to produce an image that is more realistic and closer to what the content creator imagined. The firmware update is available now at no additional cost to owners of 2015 Samsung SUHD and UHD TV’s.” wrote Samsung
post #79 of 113 Old 03-03-2016, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbrent View Post
I'm not going to get into the 2K/4K thing but who's paying $50 for a UHD movie? So far, they are coming in under $30, with many closer to $25...big difference and they will get cheaper! I must admit, I was surprised by these prices.

Not in Sweden, here they are around $45-50
post #80 of 113 Old 03-03-2016, 01:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Why pay $50 for a Movie shot in 2K and upscaled to 4K??

Most movies sold as 4K was shot in 2K. I can upscale to 4K with my Blu ray player and Surround processor and get the same quality.

Most UH-Movies is a scam!
No, you can't. You will get 1080p 4:2:0 in 4K. With UHD you get 1080p:4:4.4 in 4K. Quite a visible difference.
post #81 of 113 Old 03-03-2016, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhafner View Post
No, you can't. You will get 1080p 4:2:0 in 4K. With UHD you get 1080p:4:4.4 in 4K. Quite a visible difference.
They are still upscaled from 2K, however you want to view it. They are not filmed in 4K. They are remastered in 4K, so you are still getting ripped off.

I Think 1080p is still pretty great, and upscaled to a lesser 4K it´s still better than paying 45-50 dollars for a Movie that´s not filmed in 4K.
post #82 of 113 Old 03-03-2016, 03:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
They are still upscaled from 2K, however you want to view it. They are not filmed in 4K. They are remastered in 4K, so you are still getting ripped off.
It's your decision how much improvement you want before you feel it's worth an upgrade, but your original claim that it's the same as upscaling a Blu Ray is simply wrong. It's wrong concerning spatial resolution and it's wrong concerning colour resolution. UHD has a larger colour gamut and 10 bit versus Blu Ray's 8 bit Rec. 709. Not the same at all. And I haven't even talked about HDR. Perfectly fine if that all does not matter to you and the only thing that does is your full 4K 4:2:0 spatial resolution, but it still does not make UHD BD the same as 1080p BD, 2K master source or no 2K master source.
captainbrent likes this.
post #83 of 113 Old 03-03-2016, 05:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Not in Sweden, here they are around $45-50
Well then, of course, we are not talking apples to apples then...you should have mentioned that in your post, as it is relevant. In any event, it would seem that maybe it might be more cost effective to order from overseas and ship to your country...maybe!

Cheers

Marantz AV8802A | Wyred 4 Sound (500W X 3, 250W X 2) | Marantz MM7025 (140W X 2) | Oppo UDP-203 | ATV3 | Popcorn Hour V-Ten | LG OLED 65E6P | MiniDSP DDRC-88A | Oppo PM1 | APC H-15 power conditioners (x2)
GoldenEar Triton 1's (FL & FR) | SuperCenter XL (C) | Aon 2's (SL & SR) | SuperSat 3's (FHL & FHR) | SVS PB13-Ultra
post #84 of 113 Old 03-03-2016, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbrent View Post
Well then, of course, we are not talking apples to apples then...you should have mentioned that in your post, as it is relevant. In any event, it would seem that maybe it might be more cost effective to order from overseas and ship to your country...maybe!

Cheers
But then you have shipping and import costs, so it will be just about the same price as in Sweden
post #85 of 113 Old 03-03-2016, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
But then you have shipping and import costs, so it will be just about the same price as in Sweden
Which is why I wrote "maybe", "might" and then "maybe", again! But, have you checked, it might not be as expensive as you might think, especially considering that the discs are almost half the price. I often have things shipped to me from overseas and save quite a lot...sometimes.

Cheers

post #86 of 113 Old 03-04-2016, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Are we going to get UHD specific forums for streaming, blu-rays, TVs, etc, etc?

If not, is there a tagging system that can be used to filter the forums to 4K/UHD only topics?
post #87 of 113 Old 03-04-2016, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kressilac View Post
Are we going to get UHD specific forums for streaming, blu-rays, TVs, etc, etc?

If not, is there a tagging system that can be used to filter the forums to 4K/UHD only topics?
You may wish to post this in the 'Forum Op' as well.

User get to generate 3 tags per thread. The current tag wall is seen here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/tags/

A current tag ultra hd blu-ray is being used help navigation.
post #88 of 113 Old 03-07-2016, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Star Wars UHD

I read that Star Wars Blu-Ray is due out April 5th, has any one heard when the UBD version will be released?
Mike_WI likes this.
post #89 of 113 Old 03-07-2016, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 343
I went ahead and picked up The Witch Hunter since I didnt already own that title and figured why not, now to set the uhd disc aside until I can get a UHD Player, oh and 4k projector lol... but at least they come with the standard bluray so I can start building a collection until then.

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" Screen AVR: Marantz SR6011 ATMOS/DTSX + Darbee 5000s
Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR),
Polk Audio TSx110B (Ceiling FL/FR RL/RR), (2) JL Audio 12" Subs + (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE
Arrangement: 5.1.4 Source: OPPO UDP-203 4k Bluray Player, Roku 4, HTPC, Nexus Player
post #90 of 113 Old 01-01-2017, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle Ben View Post
I have a three-year-old Panasonic plasma 65VT50 which has incredible color and blacks, coupled with a BDT-500 blu-ray. And my sound system is 7.2.4 Atmos with a Yamaha RX-A3050 and all Klipsch Reference speakers.

Recently I picked up a remastered copy of The Fifth Element, done up in 4K and Dolby Atmos. The opening scenes are jaw-dropping. I must somehow be benefiting from the 4K remaster in some sort on my 1080p plasma because the picture is as sharp as any UHD LED I've seen in big box stores. And, of course, the music and sound is incredible in Atmos. I highly recommend this classic.
I have a 60VT60 plasma, 5.2.2 setup and looking to get an A-1050/1060 (for the atmost upgrade). My parents got a new OLED and I still don't even like the picture as much as my 1080p panny plasma, too bright.

I'll be sticking with this living room setup for a while and upgrade for the ATMOS compatibility.

TV: Panasonic 60" VT60 Plasma Surround: Yamaha RXA3050 5.1.2 Definitive Technology BP7006 (front), DefTech studio 350's (rear), Def Tech Di6.5r (ceiling) Players: Raspberry Pi running OpenElec/Kodi, Roku, Sony Blu-ray Control: Control4, whole house automation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
dolby atmos , mark henninger , ultra hd blu-ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page