One Dozen Dolby Atmos Ultra HD Blu-Ray Titles Arrive Tuesday - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 53Likes

post #91 of 111 Old 03-02-2017, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Atmos hasn't been what I thought it would be. I hope I didn't waste my $$..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 111 Old 04-04-2017, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWtubed View Post
It's not it's great, deep water horizon, man of steel,batman vs super man, 13 hours

Try those
Fatboymart likes this.
post #93 of 111 Old 04-08-2017, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 83
that's only a handful

Projects:
NOT STARTED - Theater (Sim2 HT380, CIH 13ft wide).
IN PROGRESS (10%) - Home LAN (4 PCs).

Game room:
Epson 5040UBE, Denon S920W, Philips BDP7501, NVidia Shield TV, PS4 Pro, SI 110"

post #94 of 111 Old 04-12-2017, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
ugh... Auto mods keep deleting my posts so here we go again. Anyone know if some good older action movies will get the Atmos facelift? I was born in the early 80's and I would love to see some of my favorite movies growing up get some remasters.
post #95 of 111 Old 04-12-2017, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 4772 Post(s)
Liked: 3171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiltz85 View Post
Anyone know if some good older action movies will get the Atmos facelift?
Underworld, Fifth Element and Leon: The Professional have all gotten Atmos re-mixes for home video. Same with Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (15th Anniv), though I don't know if you consider that an action movie. Independence Day (20th Anniv) got a DTS:X remix for its 4K UHD release.

Sanjay
post #96 of 111 Old 04-12-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
Underworld, Fifth Element and Leon: The Professional have all gotten Atmos re-mixes for home video. Same with Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (15th Anniv), though I don't know if you consider that an action movie. Independence Day (20th Anniv) got a DTS:X remix for its 4K UHD release.
Nice, Fifth Element might be one of my favorite movies ever, and Leon is one of my all time favorites as well! Awesome news, I will have to find those!

I am hoping the Alien movies get a remaster since the new one is coming out soon!
post #97 of 111 Old 04-12-2017, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 4772 Post(s)
Liked: 3171
Quote:
I will have to find those!
Both were re-mastered in 4K a couple years ago (2015). Best part: both are under ten bucks.

http://a.co/d0QqWbI

http://a.co/86cD4Q8

Sanjay
post #98 of 111 Old 04-12-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Both were re-mastered in 4K a couple years ago (2015). Best part: both are under ten bucks.

Awesome, thanks for this find!
post #99 of 111 Old 04-12-2017, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protan71 View Post
It's not it's great, deep water horizon, man of steel,batman vs super man, 13 hours

Try those
The problem I have is that I have little to no interest in those movies as movies (I prefer to watch movies rather than extended technology demos). I didn't like MOS, and BvS was awful.
post #100 of 111 Old 04-12-2017, 09:24 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Nice, Fifth Element might be one of my favorite movies ever, and Leon is one of my all time favorites as well! Awesome news, I will have to find those!

I am hoping the Alien movies get a remaster since the new one is coming out soon!
Quote:

May want to wait a few months. TFE is getting a theatrical re-release next month for it's 20th anniversary followed by it's supposed 4K Blu-Ray release in July.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Fi...lu-ray/171526/
sdurani likes this.
post #101 of 111 Old 04-12-2017, 11:03 PM

Awesome, I'll wait it out then.
And 20 years? wow I remember watching that in the theater with my dad.
post #102 of 111 Old 04-16-2017, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post
The problem I have is that I have little to no interest in those movies as movies (I prefer to watch movies rather than extended technology demos). I didn't like MOS, and BvS was awful.
Well that's because you have to let go and feel the force
post #103 of 111 Old 04-17-2017, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Ever since I bought my Oppo 203 I only have been buying UHD movies which primarily have a atmos or DTSX soundtrack which pretty much sound great. I also started watching a lot of my regular BD's with the DTS and Dolby upmixers. If you think atmos does not sound that great it may come down to how you you have your atmos speakers setup? How many atmos speakers do you have? What speakers are you using for Atmos? I just had my Atmos speakers moved a second time and know atmos sounds great on my system, before not so much. I am also in the process to do a MAJOR subwoofer upgrade from what I currently have.
post #104 of 111 Old 04-18-2017, 12:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I have never liked surround sound. I much prefer a top class 2+1 setup (Benchmark DAC3L+Krell Evolution+big ATC speakers), which I find complements the movie you are watching rather than distracting. I agree with Robert R, awesome sound and HDR vision don't make a great movie. I would happily avoid yet another Marvel Comics movie with booming sound and Roy Lichtenstein style graphics. At the other end of the scale, I have thoroughly enjoyed watching the re-mastered to Blu-Ray version of Stanley Kubrick's Barry Lyndon. Beautifully photographed and great music. Hopefully at some point, they will re-master this from the original 35mm film to 4K. Even up-rezzed from the 1080p to 4K by the Samsung K8500 on my Philips 49" 4K but not HDR TV, it looks marvellous.

There are very few directors who have mastered the use of a lens like Kubrick. He even worked with Zeiss to co-develop new lenses like the ultra fast 50mm f0.7 Planar lens, originally developed for satellite use by NASA and the last unused one had a special mount co-designed by Kubrick and Zeiss to fit on a modified Mitchell 35mm movie camera. The distance from the back of the lens to the gate was only a few millimetres.
post #105 of 111 Old 05-09-2017, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Bring on the 4k baby. Exciting to see so many titles.
post #106 of 111 Old Yesterday, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Couldn't agree more with Dave-T. There could be a lot going on with the setup. Yet, I remember seeing an interview in youtube with a Dolby engineer saying that Atmos could be very forgiving as it's very robust.
I was able to finally setup Atmos in a dedicated 'theater' room in my home in January of this year. I bugged the electrician (a pro guy, btw) a lot about the angles and separation in the ceiling because I wanted to follow Dolby's guidelines closely. After re-calibrating the speakers later that evening, looked for a random movie in a premium channel and found 'The Cave' (no particular interest). The crew was already deep in the cave and knew about the creatures. The Marantz was already setup to upmix to Atmos. I don't know how to convey my experience without anyone thinking I'm taking it too far. But wow, the experience was ecstatic. I was amazed at the sound of the water flowing through the walls on the cave and dropping into pools of water like *I was actually there*, there was a sense of fuller immersion in the environment. Overhead sounds were fully integrated with the soundstage, and the creatures making the cringing sounds above were more naturally localized in space.
Let me add, that room is fully closed (is not opened to another space), has a fixed pane window which I have acoustically treated and sealed so that that no light won't come through; and if it helps to some of you, I didn't skimp on the subwoofer..one of the best decisions I've made with this 'hobby' (I ignored it for a while, and I shouldn't have). After some searching, I ended up with an S300i from Power Sound Audio..amazing piece of equipment. I'm mentioning the sub for purposes of the soundstage being created. That although Atmos addition is good, the experience is richer because is not lacking elsewhere.
lizrussspike likes this.
post #107 of 111 Old Yesterday, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 754
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-T View Post
Ever since I bought my Oppo 203 I only have been buying UHD movies which primarily have a atmos or DTSX soundtrack which pretty much sound great. I also started watching a lot of my regular BD's with the DTS and Dolby upmixers. If you think atmos does not sound that great it may come down to how you you have your atmos speakers setup? How many atmos speakers do you have? What speakers are you using for Atmos? I just had my Atmos speakers moved a second time and know atmos sounds great on my system, before not so much. I am also in the process to do a MAJOR subwoofer upgrade from what I currently have.
Several other responses to BMWtubed's comment (I really hate to hear that), but I picked Dave-T's to emphasize that "somthin' just ain't right"! Like others, I took a lot of time to progressively move into Atmos and to be sure it is all it can be. And it IS! The key is that whatever it takes, you have the basis -- make the effort to get it right. If my room can work, it's hard to imagine a room that meets Atmos standards that cannot be made to work.

And keep in mind that the subs are NOT the essence of Atmos -- they just help improve the experience. It is the water dripping where it is supposed to be ( @NThreads ) and similar auditory experiences that make Atmos the huge step up for us all.

Atmos/DTS:X HT in Vaulted Room -- LG OLED Settings Options
Yamaha RX-A3060: 7.2.4 or 7.2.2 + Zone2 (switchable); OPPO 203; LG OLED65B6P; Harmony 650 & Home Hub
Base: Mirage OM-6 (FLR), MC-si (C), OM-R2 (SLR), FRx-nine (BLR)
Presence: ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP); 2 aci Titan subs; RP amp: AudioSource AMP100VS
post #108 of 111 Old Yesterday, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by richlife View Post
And keep in mind that the subs are NOT the essence of Atmos -- they just help improve the experience.
^ This. Just want to make sure is not misinterpreted.
richlife likes this.
post #109 of 111 Old Yesterday, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 714
ATMOS is amazing! I just joined the ATMOS upgrade with a Denon 4200X with an amp for 5.3.4 and am loving it. The demos are outstanding, and watching films with ATMOS only enhancing the viewing/listening experience.
post #110 of 111 Old Today, 04:34 AM

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by richlife View Post
Several other responses to BMWtubed's comment (I really hate to hear that), but I picked Dave-T's to emphasize that "somthin' just ain't right"! Like others, I took a lot of time to progressively move into Atmos and to be sure it is all it can be. And it IS! The key is that whatever it takes, you have the basis -- make the effort to get it right. If my room can work, it's hard to imagine a room that meets Atmos standards that cannot be made to work.

And keep in mind that the subs are NOT the essence of Atmos -- they just help improve the experience. It is the water dripping where it is supposed to be ( @NThreads ) and similar auditory experiences that make Atmos the huge step up for us all.
I agree 100% with you richlife that subs having nothing to do with Atmos. The Atmos speakers were my priority first and made a huge impact when i moved them. Now that I have the atmos speakers dialed in I want to fix my low and mid bass to just put the icing on the cake. I guess I am greedy and I want it all. LOL.
post #111 of 111 Old Today, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-T View Post
I agree 100% with you richlife that subs having nothing to do with Atmos. The Atmos speakers were my priority first and made a huge impact when i moved them. Now that I have the atmos speakers dialed in I want to fix my low and mid bass to just put the icing on the cake. I guess I am greedy and I want it all. LOL.
Greedy? No. I think a lot/most/all of us succumb in one way or another and at some time. Once you hear what Atmos has to offer (as the demo says "Improved bass!") it's pretty natural to want to make it as full as you can. Some add, some improve, some buy bigger better and some go perhaps a little overboard -- but why not?!!
Jonas2 likes this.

Atmos/DTS:X HT in Vaulted Room -- LG OLED Settings Options
Yamaha RX-A3060: 7.2.4 or 7.2.2 + Zone2 (switchable); OPPO 203; LG OLED65B6P; Harmony 650 & Home Hub
Base: Mirage OM-6 (FLR), MC-si (C), OM-R2 (SLR), FRx-nine (BLR)
Presence: ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP); 2 aci Titan subs; RP amp: AudioSource AMP100VS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
dolby atmos , mark henninger , ultra hd blu-ray