Pioneer Elite FS-EB70 3.1.2 Atmos Soundbar with Play-Fi Demo at CEDIA 2016 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #1 of 33 Old 09-21-2016, 04:11 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 277 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6599 Post(s)
Liked: 11361
Pioneer Elite FS-EB70 3.1.2 Atmos Soundbar with Play-Fi Demo at CEDIA 2016

Soundbars come in quite a variety of shapes, sizes, and price points. At CEDIA 2016, Pioneer introduced its FS–EB70 Dolby Atmos 3.1.2-channel soundbar with DTS:X. The new model takes a rather unusual approach in that the processing and amplification is housed in external unit, which allows the speaker bar portion to be considerably more compact than soundbars that integrate those components.

Pioneer Elite FS-EB70 Atmos soundbar system with Play-Fi and Google Cast. Photo by Mark Henninger

The FS-EB70 offers four HDMI inputs and an HDMI output, with ARC support. All of the HDMI inputs and outputs feature HDCP 2.2 and can handle HDR plus 4K UHD video. It also includes dual-antenna Wi-Fi, an optical-digital input, an Ethernet port, USB, and a stereo analog RCA input.

Not only does this Soundbar support DTS Play-Fi, it also has Google Cast built-in. Both of these multi-room, networked-audio ecosystems are open t multiple brands, hi-res audio capable, and flexible—special kudos to Pioneer for including them both.

Rear panel view of the new Elite soundbar. Photo by Mark Henninger

This system supports room correction and comes with microphone. In addition to the included wireless subwoofer, the FS-EB70 has a wired subwoofer output, so you can add your own.

Interestingly, just before I left for CEDIA, I was asked whether 3.1.2 Atmos was worth it. The FS-EB70 offered a compelling answer; its height channels contributed to a massive expansion of the 3.1 soundstage. We watched several of Dolby's Atmos demo clips, followed by scenes from Oblivion and Mad Max: Fury Road. Pioneers' approach paid off, the 16' x 24' x 10' demo room was filled with sound.

While it does not offer the complete sense of envelopment offered by Samsung's 5.1.4 Atmos soundbar, when compared to soundbars that lack 3.1.2 capability, this new Elite's soundstage is massive. Quite the impressive feat considering its size. Pricing and availability was not available at the time I wrote this.
aaronwt, Edllguy, freeman4 and 1 others like this.

Mark Henninger, Senior Editor at AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 09-21-2016 at 04:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 09-21-2016, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked: 698
So which sounds better...

3.1.2 or 5.1?

post #3 of 33 Old 09-21-2016, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 277 Post(s)
Quoted: 6599 Post(s)
Liked: 11361
Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
So which sounds better...

3.1.2 or 5.1?

If all movies came in Atmos there would be room for debate. As it stands, so many more movies have a 5.1 mix, it's currently an unfair comparison.

Mark Henninger, Senior Editor at AVS Forum

post #4 of 33 Old 09-21-2016, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked: 1539
I was just thinking this was a very timely post

My atmos speakers came in today. I'll connect them over the weekend!
post #5 of 33 Old 09-25-2016, 10:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I love this concept. For those that need sound for a second TV or Media room, (leave true Atmos HT level stuff to the dedicated HT) systems like this can offer some great bang for buck while not sacrificing anything by missing out on potential when watching things that you don't necessarily need to watch in your dedicated HT. Love it.
post #6 of 33 Old 01-05-2017, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I heard this will be shipping in the next month.
post #7 of 33 Old 01-08-2017, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by HendersonD View Post
I heard this will be shipping in the next month.
It will be interesting how these will be reviewed in a home listening environment? And what will be its competition at its price point?
post #8 of 33 Old 01-08-2017, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
This soundbar has one feature that I have been looking for, subwoofer out. I have a very nice HSU subwoofer in my family room that I use for music along with HSU speakers. This subwoofer has two inputs so I can use it in conjunction with a soundbar in the same space to compliment my new LG OLED TV.

There are not a lot of soundbars with sub-out. Even the new Sony soundbar announced at CES which looks like a very nice product, does not have sub-out
post #9 of 33 Old 01-09-2017, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
so is this meant to be used in conjunction with speakers around your installation, or the 'soundstage' is strictly coming from the soundbar itself?

Not to say this and other Atmos soundbars don't do a great job, but it seems funny to me that the initial requirements for atmos seemed to imply the need to have different "height" speakers in several places around the room, and now it's being shrunk into a soundbar.
post #10 of 33 Old 01-26-2017, 02:37 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
missing Info on
quality
post #11 of 33 Old 02-14-2017, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 292
So if I need AVR functionality, mostly for the purpose of adding additional UHD/HDR capable HDMI ports, as well as better than TV sound for a gaming setup where I occasionally watch movies... this would seem to fit the bill perfectly.

Pioneer ELITE PRO-720HD | Pioneer PDP-5010FD | Sony XBR-55X850B | LG OLED55E6P
OPPO BDP-103 | OPPO UDP-203 | Toshiba HD-XA2
PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One S
post #12 of 33 Old 03-11-2017, 04:55 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Does anyone know how long the proprietary cable is from the amp to the soundbar itself? If it is too short, it could be a deal breaker, unless there is a way to extend it. Looks like a cool setup though.
post #13 of 33 Old 03-17-2017, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 28
New FS-EB70

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsjedi44 View Post
Does anyone know how long the proprietary cable is from the amp to the soundbar itself? If it is too short, it could be a deal breaker, unless there is a way to extend it. Looks like a cool setup though.
I measured that cable at 118 inches. I guess if you stretched out all the kinks, it would be 10 feet...

I've had this product for three days now. I don't have a 4K TV in this location, so I can't comment on the 4K passthrough video performance.

When I started up for the first time, the unit attempted an update via the Internet which hung at 70%. I eventually got the update accomplished via USB.

All the functions I have used so far have worked without a hitch. I have used my Blu-ray player, which passed Atmos without a problem, at least according to the info sent to the display. Other high-res formats worked as well. Chromecast, Roku, and Apple TV streamers worked fine. Music plays from my Synology server. Tunein, Pandora, and Apple AirPlay work fine. Couldn't pick up many stations with the tuner but my condo has solid cement walls.

The sound is much, much better than my previous Sony HT-CT550W. It will play really loud without distortion. Blu-ray audio is immersive but not surround--it feels like a wall of sound but nothing from behind or even very wide, as you'd expect with 3.1.2 instead of 5.1. Atmos produces a taller and deeper and more impressive soundstage but I can't really hear raindrops or helicopters above me. But you definitely feel like you're in the action! And I've worried about irritating my neighbor on the floor below...

Music via Pandora, Apple TV, and my iPhone via Bluetooth is really quite good--much better than I anticipated. The unit will not accept SACD.

So I believe this is a solid performer and a major upgrade for me. Music performance and versatility have been excellent. I'm disappointed at the lack of overhead effects with Atmos. I'm using the unit in my small office with a big fan in the middle of the ceiling--maybe that's the problem.

Let me know if I can answer any questions.

Charlie
post #14 of 33 Old 05-04-2017, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 25
So reading the later in June firmware update will add DTS Play-Wi. How will this work with this soundbar? Since it's a 3.1.2 now would adding pair rears make it playback ATMOS and DTS:X in 5.1.2?
post #15 of 33 Old 05-06-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmilyard View Post
So reading the later in June firmware update will add DTS Play-Wi. How will this work with this soundbar? Since it's a 3.1.2 now would adding pair rears make it playback ATMOS and DTS:X in 5.1.2?
I emailed Pioneer and got some response that had nothing to do with this question.
post #16 of 33 Old 05-09-2017, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I don't get the appeal of using a soundbar with something that supposed to be higher quality (atmos) than other audio formats.
post #17 of 33 Old 05-09-2017, 08:19 PM

So the bar came today. Sounds so far pretty good. Works with my DIRECTV, PS4 and Shield TV kinda. All the apps i.e. Netflix, Hulu and Amazon sound is fine. When in Kodi I am getting no sound. When look at audio settings in Kodi device is greyed out. If I put my old 7.1 Sony soundbar back it works fine.

When look at status on Pioneer source is analog. Not sure what is going on here.
post #18 of 33 Old 05-10-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
So the bar came today. Sounds so far pretty good. Works with my DIRECTV, PS4 and Shield TV kinda. All the apps i.e. Netflix, Hulu and Amazon sound is fine. When in Kodi I am getting no sound. When look at audio settings in Kodi device is greyed out. If I put my old 7.1 Sony soundbar back it works fine.

When look at status on Pioneer source is analog. Not sure what is going on here.
So called Pioneer. Spoke with nice guy name Greg. He didn't know much since bar new. We tried few things with no luck.

Later I was messing around and found this. In Kodi if I turn off Audio Passthrough I get PCM Multi 5.1 audio. Then turn it back on I get true audio. i.e. ATMOS etc. Need to do this for any show/movie. So to me seems be handshake issue?
post #19 of 33 Old 05-10-2017, 10:15 AM

So I found if a Player Settings/Videos/Playback Adjust display refresh rate is set to On start/stop it will not work with this soundbar. If turn that off it's seems to be fine.
post #20 of 33 Old 05-15-2017, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsmith2007 View Post
I don't get the appeal of using a soundbar with something that supposed to be higher quality (atmos) than other audio formats.
The appeal would be to get higher quality sound than with other soundbars.. squeeze the best possible sound out of this form factor in other words.

I'm interested in these for my gaming setup. It's not in a location that can accommodate a full blown system, so I'd like the best soundbar that's possible. It's not too complicated.
aaronwt likes this.

Pioneer ELITE PRO-720HD | Pioneer PDP-5010FD | Sony XBR-55X850B | LG OLED55E6P
OPPO BDP-103 | OPPO UDP-203 | Toshiba HD-XA2
PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One S
post #21 of 33 Old 05-19-2017, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for a soundbar

I've been searching for a soundbar for a while now and it always seems like I can't find the right combination of form factor, sound quality and features. But this one seems to nail form factor and features for me. Can you owners comment any more on the sound quality?
post #22 of 33 Old 07-19-2017, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has this been compared to the Sony HT-ST5000 or Samsung HW-K950?

I was thinking for my living room this would be good it's a small area as opposed to my basement viewing area which is larger.

Pete
post #23 of 33 Old 08-05-2017, 07:33 AM

I heard awhile back that would be a firmware update to add WiFi speakers to soundbar. Anyone heard anything about when update might be?
post #24 of 33 Old 08-18-2017, 09:24 AM

So now that this soundbar will do DTS Play-Fi can we add 2 rear speakers to get true rear channels?
post #25 of 33 Old 08-24-2017, 04:39 AM

Quote:
So now that this soundbar will do DTS Play-Fi can we add 2 rear speakers to get true rear channels?

Anyone know if this works?
post #26 of 33 Old 08-30-2017, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Anyone know if this works?
I cannot even get the DTS Play-Fi android app to detect the Pioneer Elite FS-EB70. It just spins searching for Play-Fi devices on my network. But I'm physically wired via ethernet rather than using wireless. I wonder if DTS Play-Fi requires wireless to be enabled on the soundbar?

The surround setup for Play-Fi _seems_ simple enough (cannot yet post link, because I have no posts yet, to the play-fi <dot> com FAQ for "set-up-play-fi-surround" but check it out).

But given I cannot even get the app to see the soundbar I'm obviously not making any progress on getting it setup as a "Play-Fi Surround Master".

But I'll try wireless networking now and will report back.
post #27 of 33 Old 08-31-2017, 11:33 AM

Does anyone have the model number for the Pioneer MCACC Speaker setup microphone that comes with the FS-EB70? I need one... HELP!
post #28 of 33 Old 08-31-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snitm View Post
Does anyone have the model number for the Pioneer MCACC Speaker setup microphone that comes with the FS-EB70? I need one... HELP!
Nevermind, Pioneer is sending me one.
post #29 of 33 Old 08-31-2017, 12:55 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
I cannot even get the DTS Play-Fi android app to detect the Pioneer Elite FS-EB70. It just spins searching for Play-Fi devices on my network. But I'm physically wired via ethernet rather than using wireless. I wonder if DTS Play-Fi requires wireless to be enabled on the soundbar?

The surround setup for Play-Fi _seems_ simple enough (cannot yet post link, because I have no posts yet, to the play-fi <dot> com FAQ for "set-up-play-fi-surround" but check it out).

But given I cannot even get the app to see the soundbar I'm obviously not making any progress on getting it setup as a "Play-Fi Surround Master".

But I'll try wireless networking now and will report back.
It doesn't matter whether you use wifi or ethernet. The key is that after you upgrade to the latest 8.1.2017 firmware that provides DTS Play-Fi support you must "reset to defaults" in settings (Pioneer tech support said there is a known bug that makes this a required step after upgrading the firmware to get Play-Fi to work).

So I was able to stream music apps via Play-Fi but then I tried to setup "Surround" and sadly it errors out with "No Master Detected". So it would seem that the FS-EB70's DTS Play-Fi support does _not_ allow it to be considered a "Play-Fi Surround Master". As such (and until Pioneer updates the Play-Fi support) -- no we cannot setup additional Play-Fi speakers to serve as rears for 5.1 surround.
post #30 of 33 Old 08-31-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
It doesn't matter whether you use wifi or ethernet. The key is that after you upgrade to the latest 8.1.2017 firmware that provides DTS Play-Fi support you must "reset to defaults" in settings (Pioneer tech support said there is a known bug that makes this a required step after upgrading the firmware to get Play-Fi to work).

So I was able to stream music apps via Play-Fi but then I tried to setup "Surround" and sadly it errors out with "No Master Detected". So it would seem that the FS-EB70's DTS Play-Fi support does _not_ allow it to be considered a "Play-Fi Surround Master". As such (and until Pioneer updates the Play-Fi support) -- no we cannot setup additional Play-Fi speakers to serve as rears for 5.1 surround.
Hopefully they will add that. It would be nice to get 5.1 from this soundbar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
cedia 2016 , Pioneer Elite , soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page