SVS Prime Elevation Speakers Launch Today - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 33Likes

post #1 of 68 Old 09-22-2016, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 277 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6597 Post(s)
Liked: 11350
SVS Prime Elevation Speakers Launch Today

After showing newest speaker model, the angled Prime Elevation, at CES 2016, SVS is ready to ship this innovative speaker. Therefore, today marks the launch of this new design that's meant to make adding height channels to an immersive audio system a bit easier by offering placement flexibility.

At first glance you may think that these are reflective-sound elevation modules that you place on top of speakers. However, that was not the design goal for this model. The slanted baffle is designed to angle the drivers appropriately when the speaker is wall-mounted at or near ceiling height, and they can also be adapted to serve as LCR or surrounds.

The SVS Prime Elevation is available in three finishes, seen here. It includes mounting hardware.

The company notes there is "no sideways or upside-down" with the Prime Elevation, and that's what it's really about. It's larger than a typical satellite speaker, and its shape makes it easy to wall-mount and get a good result.

These speakers cost $200 each and they combine a 1-inch aluminum-dome tweeter with a 4.5-inch, rear-ported, polypropylene woofer featuring a cast ABS-fiberglass composite basket, and a vented voice coil former. The second-order (12 dB slope) crossover is centered around 2500 Hz. In terms of performance specs, SVS specifies the frequency response of the Elevation at 55 Hz-25 kHz (+/-3 dB). Recommended amplification is 20-150 watts and their impedance is rated at 8 ohms. Sensitivity is pegged at 87 dB (2.83V @ 1 meter full-space, 300-3kHz).

According to SVS, "In creating a height effects speaker for object based surround sound, our engineers didn’t believe existing solutions, relying on sound bouncing off the ceiling from below, are an optimal approach because they require frequency response limiting and perfect room conditions to be effective." The press release talking points even state that "Placed high on a side wall, the directly radiated sound (of the Prime Elevation) is a vast improvement over compromised "ceiling bounce” or in-ceiling solutions."

Them's fightin' words! It's a bold statement regarding the efficacy of reflected-sound speakers, which I personally have found to be effective in my own home as well as in multiple different room environments at various shows. Fortunately, as I type this, I have a 7.1.4 surround-system featuring four Prime Elevations, seven Prime Bookshelfs, and a SB13 Ultra—a serious sub-satellite system by any standard—sitting right behind me, just waiting to rise to the challenge.

Full disclosure! I already have three competent reflected-sound (i.e. Atmos-enabled) systems on-hand (Pioneer, KEF, Klipsch) that I use as points of reference. That's what this system will have to go up against when I review it; may the best method of adding height channels win.

Gary Yacoubian, president, SVS, noted that "The SVS Prime Elevation is a product of vision and happenstance that was born when our engineers sought to invent the most realistic and immersive sounding height effects speaker possible. When we decided to make it direct radiating, we thought, why not develop an incredibly versatile speaker that also delivers an awesome experience for the other home theater channels in rooms, where perfect speaker placement isn’t possible."

As someone who rents, I can appreciate a solution that provides overhead effects without requiring you to cut holes in the ceiling. I also understand there are rooms that are challenging to work with and get a good effect with the reflected-sound approach to rendering height effects. I get the idea, and SVS makes great speakers. Therefore, I'm curious to see how the Prime Elevation performs in the real word, so keep an eye out for that review.
freeman4 likes this.

Mark Henninger, Senior Editor at AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 09-22-2016 at 10:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 Old 09-22-2016, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 962 Post(s)
Liked: 1133
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
As someone who rents, I can appreciate a solution that provides overhead effects without requiring you to cut holes in the ceiling. I also understand there are rooms that are challenging to work with and get a good effect with the reflected-sound approach to rendering height effects. I get the idea, and SVS makes great speakers. Therefore, I'm curious to see how the Prime Elevation performs in the real word, so keep an eye out for that review.
Looking forward to the review

I have ceiling fans and my wife tends to reconfigure the living room every 2 years--the height channels are the only option. They should also work well with Auro 3D as the upper layer speakers so could work well either way.

Let the bouncy VS elevation VS direct overhead battle begin.
post #3 of 68 Old 09-22-2016, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 724
How much?

Louder is NOT better!

post #4 of 68 Old 09-22-2016, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip View Post
How much?
$200 per speaker

post #5 of 68 Old 09-22-2016, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 3724 Post(s)
Liked: 3601
I don't understand why they are rear-ported if they are intended to be flush mounted to a wall/ceiling?

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #6 of 68 Old 09-22-2016, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Extremely interested in this review. When i built out our theater room I anticipated 4-in ceiling speakers for 5.1.4.....I didn't have an atmos receiver or speakers yet (room costs went over budget so i had to hold off till a year later for that stuff) but I pre-wired for them. Well fast forward a year and my wife will absolutely not let me cut four holes in the ceiling.

Luckily i used 4 conductor speaker wire for the runs to my surrounds with two speaker wall plates (anticipating the hole cutting issue in case i had to go reflective modules on top of the surrounds and L/R) so i can use those extra conductors to hook up two of these things and mount them up near the ceiling. I guess you'll see a little 2 foot run of cable along the wall running from the outlet up to the speaker and i'm rather bummed that I would have a 5.1.2 setup rather than 5.1.4 but it's all better than no atmos at all. Very happy i didn't break down early and buy upfiring modules.

Are you going to just set it up as a 7.1.4 or will you talk about their usage in a 7.1.2 as well? I'm just curious on how much i'll be missing out on with just two of these.

Last edited by Lucky Strike; 09-22-2016 at 10:58 AM.
post #7 of 68 Old 09-22-2016, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike View Post
Extremely interested in this review. When i built out our theater room I anticipated 4-in ceiling speakers for 5.1.4.....I didn't have an atmos receiver or speakers yet (room costs went over budget so i had to hold off till a year later for that stuff) but I pre-wired for them. Well fast forward a year and my wife will absolutely not let me cut four holes in the ceiling.

Luckily i used 4 conductor speaker wire for the runs to my surrounds with two speaker wall plates (anticipating the hole cutting issue in case i had to go reflective modules on top of the surrounds and L/R) so i can use those extra conductors to hook up two of these things and mount them up near the ceiling. I guess you'll see a little 2 foot run of cable along the wall running from the outlet up to the speaker and i'm rather bummed that I would have a 5.1.2 setup rather than 5.1.4 but it's all better than no atmos at all. Very happy i didn't break down early and buy upfiring modules.

Are you going to just set it up as a 5.1.4 or will you talk about their usage in a 5.1.2 as well?
Having recently discussed whether there is an advantage to 3.1.2 over 3.1 (In the Dolby-sponsored Atmos-enabled speaker thread), in future reviews of Dolby Atmos enabled systems I intend to start from the most minimal configuration I can and work my way up to the maximum. Long story short, a pair of Atmos-enabled bookshelf speakers or a 3.1.2 sandbar system can actually do quite a bit with that height effect (be it through Dolby Surround upmixing or discrete Atmos). No reason to think it would not work with this approach to elevation channels, too.
noshank and freeman4 like this.

Last edited by imagic; 09-22-2016 at 11:04 AM.
post #8 of 68 Old 09-22-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Having recently discussed whether there is an advantage to 3.1.2 over 3.1 (In the Dolby-sponsored Atmos-enabled speaker thread), in future reviews of Dolby Atmos enabled systems I intend to start from the most minimal configuration I can and work my way up to the maximum. Long story short, a pair of Atmos-enabled bookshelf speakers or a 3.1.2 sandbar system can actually do quite a bit with that height effect (be it through Dolby Surround upmixing or discrete Atmos). No reason to think it would not work with this approach to elevation channels, too.
That's great to hear I'll go check that thread out.....I wonder how it would sound with two of these SVS speakers for the rear heights and then some reflective modules on top of my L/R channels (which are behind an AT projection screen) for the front heights to get to 5.1.4......that's about the only way i could get to 5.1.4 without cutting any holes.
post #9 of 68 Old 09-22-2016, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
I don't understand why they are rear-ported if they are intended to be flush mounted to a wall/ceiling?
I figured they were sealed but they are in fact rear ported. I guess that is why they come with mounting hardware to keep them a few centimeters off the wall.
post #10 of 68 Old 09-22-2016, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
That's great to hear I'll go check that thread out.....I wonder how it would sound with two of these SVS speakers for the rear heights and then some reflective modules on top of my L/R channels (which are behind an AT projection screen) for the front heights to get to 5.1.4......that's about the only way i could get to 5.1.4 without cutting any holes.
Well, I have not had a chance to offer an in-depth answer as to the differences in listening experience yet, that's coming super-soon but first I have to pump out a bit more CEDIA news.
freeman4 likes this.

post #11 of 68 Old 09-22-2016, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklightning View Post
I figured they were sealed but they are in fact rear ported. I guess that is why they come with mounting hardware to keep them a few centimeters off the wall.
Correct - the wall side of the mounting bracket spaces the speaker about 1/2" off the boundary, allowing plenty of breathing room for the port.
oldsteve, imagic, batpig and 1 others like this.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"
post #12 of 68 Old 09-22-2016, 01:26 PM

can you possibly give the hole layout dimensions on the wall bracket? Will the whole bracket screw into one stud or am i going to need some sort of drywall anchors?
post #13 of 68 Old 09-22-2016, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen View Post
Correct - the wall side of the mounting bracket spaces the speaker about 1/2" off the boundary, allowing plenty of breathing room for the port.
I hope if you guys get around to doing a Ultra version you make them sealed as we do not need them to perform under 100hz as it seems that height channels for Dolby are cut off at 110hz. I'm not sure about Auro 3d and DTS-X though.

I understand the port for a 4.5" driver.
post #14 of 68 Old 09-23-2016, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Just made the plunge to a newer ATMOS receiver, and looking forward to the reviews on these.

Just might save me a "messy ceiling project"
post #15 of 68 Old 09-23-2016, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
was thinking of getting these for top middle setup on the ceiling but now I'm not sure if the mount is safe for ceiling mounting.

looking at the mounting bracket they are keyhole mounts, so it needs the weight of the speaker to keep them in place, ie, mount them on walls.

anyone have any experience with keyhole mounts if we can use them for ceiling mounting? would vibrations shake the speaker out of the mount and fall?
post #16 of 68 Old 09-23-2016, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I am thinking of putting them up as the rear surrounds (not ATMOS). SVS told me it would work. It is going to be mounted about 10.5 feet high.
The other option was a speaker mount pointing downwards but I do not like the look.

How do you things think it will sound when mounted up as surround of 5.1 applications? Right now I downmix to LCR so just about any speaker back there would be an improvement. (reason: kids)
post #17 of 68 Old 09-23-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post
Just made the plunge to a newer ATMOS receiver, and looking forward to the reviews on these.

Just might save me a "messy ceiling project"
Yeah i just bought one this morning too.....no going back now, just gonna wait till my next paycheck to get some speakers....all my other speakers are SVS so i'm hoping these get lots of great reviews
post #18 of 68 Old 09-23-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorSignal View Post
I am thinking of putting them up as the rear surrounds (not ATMOS). SVS told me it would work. It is going to be mounted about 10.5 feet high.
The other option was a speaker mount pointing downwards but I do not like the look.
There's nothing magical here -- it's a speaker in an angled cabinet. So if you want the performance of a Prime Sat but want it pointing in a direction besides "straight ahead", then these will do it. If you have to mount your surrounds high up an angled baffle design like this is a good choice.
Squirrel! likes this.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #19 of 68 Old 09-23-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Thanks for chiming in, Ed. Surprised that 1-2cm is sufficient clearance for the port without it sounding bloated, but you're the pro!

Most people will probably cross these over at 80-100Hz so maybe a moot point anyway.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #20 of 68 Old 09-23-2016, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1149 Post(s)
Liked: 272
The speakers are still mounted at the side, so how is it going to project the sound like its over your head? Even if you mount speakers on the front and back wall, I doubt you would get the desired effect. Also, the reviewer is going to tell you how great they are, so you might as well just buy them now.
MarkMul1 likes this.
post #21 of 68 Old 09-23-2016, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. When the next major audio upgrade happens in my "cave", ceiling speakers are out (my drop ceiling tiles won't hold them without A LOT of hassle) and reflection off ceiling also out (see drop ceiling panels). So the only viable solution I've seen/read about so far is the SVS option described here. Even if it isn't "perfect" (and really, what is), it will almost certainly be very good--and represent the only practical alternative for many people.

I still love my current speakers (Boston Acoustics VR-M series), but they are way past date (can't add new ones), so if I'm to do a major upgrade in the future, Bostons are no longer an option (they don't make anything of the VR-M quality anymore). SVS is on my very short list, though, owing to the huge grin I get with my PB-2000. They will definitely get an audition.
Spidacat likes this.
post #22 of 68 Old 09-23-2016, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 114
What is the angle of the baffle? I couldn't find this information on the web site.
Ted99 likes this.
post #23 of 68 Old 09-26-2016, 01:42 PM

Performance wise are these basically the same as the Prime Satellites? My front channels are all hidden by my AT screen so i could make some sort of goofy mount to hang two satellites at an angle near my ceiling pretty easily if it'd save me a little cash. For my rears i'd probably go with these as they'd look really sharp on the wall and i've been happy with the sound quality of all my current SVS stuff.
post #24 of 68 Old 09-26-2016, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I've had my eye on these for a while and will likely use them. We just bought a new house with the PERFECT space for home theater with four in-ceiling speakers cut-outs in the perfect locations (i.e., prior owner had them wired but never installed the actual speakers; they have these circular coverings on them). But, my son has mild autism and needs to use the room for OT. My HT will be relegated to a bedroom and I won't spend the money to install speakers in the ceiling and the room type doesn't bode well for up-firing speakers. I'm not entirely clear if these are, in a perfect world, to be placed along the side walls near the ceiling (a bit behind and a bit in front of) the sweet spot or if they are intended to be mounted up above your fronts (front wall) and up against the back wall. Thoughts?
post #25 of 68 Old 09-27-2016, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_lb View Post
I've had my eye on these for a while and will likely use them. We just bought a new house with the PERFECT space for home theater with four in-ceiling speakers cut-outs in the perfect locations (i.e., prior owner had them wired but never installed the actual speakers; they have these circular coverings on them). But, my son has mild autism and needs to use the room for OT. My HT will be relegated to a bedroom and I won't spend the money to install speakers in the ceiling and the room type doesn't bode well for up-firing speakers. I'm not entirely clear if these are, in a perfect world, to be placed along the side walls near the ceiling (a bit behind and a bit in front of) the sweet spot or if they are intended to be mounted up above your fronts (front wall) and up against the back wall. Thoughts?
I've been trying to figure out the same thing about placement (regarding the back two) as I have a situation in my room (due to windowns/fireplaces) where I can only mount a pair on the front wall above my L/R's and on the side walls above my surrounds which is basically the Auro3D prescribed 9.1 setup.

I've seen posts were people have done that and said that Atmos stuff sounds good as well as people that say front wall/back wall sounds good too. Room geometry plays a part (like if your room was really long then back wall would probably not be as good). Audyssey's "universal" placement for 3D audio that's compatible with all three formats I believe puts them on front wall and back wall. At least that's what i think from trying to read through the online manual....i'm getting my new Denon 6200 tomorrow so i can let you know for sure then. And then on SVS's site they've got a diagram where all four are mounted on the side wall in the same relative (from screen) distance that 4 atmos in-ceilings would be (two a couple feet in front of couch, two a foot or so behind couch) but just pushed out so that they're mounted on the walls up near the ceiling.

As far as which of those three options is "best" i'm not sure but people are doing all three... and apparently getting good results...like i said i'm limited to the Auro placement so i'm hoping i like it.

Here's a nice review of four prime satellites being used unfortunately he doesn't quite say where the back two were positioned.

http://www.avsforum.com/svs-prime-5-...system-review/

and then audioholics has an article about distances and angles if you are doing on-walls to see what mounting height you can do and whether they'll still be within spec for Atmos...for me my two front heights are gonna be a little outside of spec due to my low basement ceiling height but it's just something i'll have to live with.

http://www.audioholics.com/audio-tec...outs-for-dts-x

Last edited by Lucky Strike; 09-27-2016 at 07:35 AM.
post #26 of 68 Old 09-27-2016, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
I've been trying to figure out the same thing about placement (regarding the back two) as I have a situation in my room (due to windowns/fireplaces) where I can only mount a pair on the front wall above my L/R's and on the side walls above my surrounds which is basically the Auro3D prescribed 9.1 setup.

I've seen posts were people have done that and said that Atmos stuff sounds good as well as people that say front wall/back wall sounds good too. Room geometry plays a part (like if your room was really long then back wall would probably not be as good). Audyssey's "universal" placement for 3D audio that's compatible with all three formats I believe puts them on front wall and back wall. At least that's what i think from trying to read through the online manual....i'm getting my new Denon 6200 tomorrow so i can let you know for sure then. And then on SVS's site they've got a diagram where all four are mounted on the side wall in the same relative (from screen) distance that 4 atmos in-ceilings would be (two a couple feet in front of couch, two a foot or so behind couch) but just pushed out so that they're mounted on the walls up near the ceiling.

As far as which of those three options is "best" i'm not sure but people are doing all three... and apparently getting good results...like i said i'm limited to the Auro placement so i'm hoping i like it.

Here's a nice review of four prime satellites being used unfortunately he doesn't quite say where the back two were positioned.

http://www.avsforum.com/svs-prime-5-...system-review/

and then audioholics has an article about distances and angles if you are doing on-walls to see what mounting height you can do and whether they'll still be within spec for Atmos...for me my two front heights are gonna be a little outside of spec due to my low basement ceiling height but it's just something i'll have to live with.

http://www.audioholics.com/audio-tec...outs-for-dts-x
Just E-mail Mark Henninger and ask him! I'm sure He will remember the setup He used for the review. As long He's not on vacation He will respond very quickly.
post #27 of 68 Old 09-27-2016, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsteve View Post
Just E-mail Mark Henninger and ask him! I'm sure He will remember the setup He used for the review. As long He's not on vacation He will respond very quickly.

I looked on the comments for the review and someone asked the same question. He said in his setup the rears are just a mirror of the fronts...side walls close to the back wall up near ceiling.
post #28 of 68 Old 09-27-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke M View Post
What is the angle of the baffle? I couldn't find this information on the web site.
I contacted SVS and they said it was 70 degrees
Ted99 and noshank like this.
post #29 of 68 Old 09-27-2016, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
And then on SVS's site they've got a diagram where all four are mounted on the side wall in the same relative (from screen) distance that 4 atmos in-ceilings would be (two a couple feet in front of couch, two a foot or so behind couch) but just pushed out so that they're mounted on the walls up near the ceiling.

FYI, Report ITU-R BS.2159-7 (02/2015) Multichannel sound technology in home and broadcasting applications (quoting from IEC 62574 “Audio, video and multimedia systems – General channel assignment of multichannel audio”) designates speakers in those locations as Top Side Left|Right (TpSiL|TpSiR) and Top Left|Right Surround (TpLS|TpRS).

I have an existing Cambridge SoundWorks Ambiance pair installed on Omnimounts at the Top Side Left|Right speaker locations which I am configuring in the AVR as [Atmos] Top Middle speakers this|next week. If that doesn't work "acceptably", I have an additional pair which I can install at the Top Left|Right Surround speaker locations, and which I will configure in the AVR as either a Top Rear Left|Right pair or a Rear Height Left|Right pair--whichever one sounds better!

And just so we don't get complacent with the current set of conflicting speaker configurations, this extract from an August 31, 2015, 'puff piece' for Sennheiser's forthcoming Ambeo codec+upmixer immersive audio technology promised|threatened for consumer release in 2017: "Sennheiser’s new brain-tricking 3D sound is like replaying reality" (link):
Quote:
[Grammy Award-winning audio engineer and Senior Manager of System Design and Recording Strategic Collaborations Gregor Zielinsky] pulled back the curtain, revealing nine powered monitors set up in a proprietary pattern that aims to replicate all the nuances, reflections, and voicing of a live show. Matched with advanced recording techniques, the new audio system promised to bring the recorded concert to life through 3D imaging. And after being successfully tricked into believing I was surrounded by a live audience in a large hall rather than a tiny sound room, I can attest that Sennheiser’s new format offers scary-real results.

“The basic idea of 3D, or 9.1 is not just an extension of 5.1 or 7.1 [surround sound], because these are all two-dimensional,” Zielinsky tells us. “3D, as you can see, is three-dimensional, and we only need these nine speakers to reproduce the whole atmosphere of a hall … because the ear somehow compensates all the rest.”

Unlike Dolby Atmos, or DTS:X surround systems, Sennheiser [Ambeo] 3D doesn’t employ overhead speakers mounted on the ceiling. Instead, the setup relies on two pairs of height speakers at the front and the back of the room that recreate the reflections of the sound waves bouncing off the ceiling of the concert hall, in company with front left, right, and center channel speakers, and rear left and right speakers. It’s a simple design, but in practice, it’s quite impressive.
Oh well, whatever is required, I still have some open wall space available at present!

_

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

Last edited by SoundChex; 09-28-2016 at 06:39 AM.
post #30 of 68 Old 09-27-2016, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Ed, good to see that you still work for SVS. I had been wondering if you were still there.

I like Ice Cream!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
prime elevation , Svs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page