Pioneer shows SC-LX901 AVR with 11 amplifiers at CEDIA 2016 - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #31 of 36 Old 09-28-2016, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
Why is it that no one seems to be able to tell you, other than the extra 2 amped channels - what the difference between the 901 and this years SC-99 is?

It just came out! But judging by the specs listed on their website it looks like the biggest differences between the 901 and the SC99 is:
  • Extra Amps
  • No USB DAC In
  • DTS X comes standard
  • New and Improved Menu

Lighting Artist for Walt Disney Animation Studios
Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH AVR || Klipsch RF-7ii, RC-64ii, RS-62ii || SVS SB13U || Samsung UN55C8000 3DTV || PS3 || XBone || X360

Last edited by rdeyoung; 09-28-2016 at 03:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 09-28-2016, 06:07 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post
From all my contacts over the years with Chris Walker, formerly Pioneer's home audio manager (now with ELAC ), Pioneer will not give up their approach to using a global single crossover. According to him, Pioneer's audio engineers place a high priority on preserving phase integrity and they felt multiple Xovers would degrade that.

Never say never, especially being owned by Onkyo, but....they haven't changed yet!

As far as this model is concerned, this long-time Pioneer Elite fan(boy) - me - thinks this is close to perfect but I am very disappointed that it looks like Pioneer dropped the USB-DAC, multichannel analog inputs (for the 2nd time - last year they put them back but dropped them again this year) and I can find no mention of other long-time features on their website - 192Khz-32 bit audio upscaling being one.

Maybe some of them are really there but they are missing from the specs with a "---" next to the feature.
And I know Denon is doing this as well, but this move to power ratings at 1% THD, 1 ch driven, is lame - for all mfgs using it or other 1 ch driven derivative, I give them a raspberry. Still, Pioneer's class D amps will come closer to giving larger power than class A/B types but it's still a lame way to rate AVRs IMHO. I know it's the 11 channels that's behind this but trying to disguise physics isn't going to convince an informed audio fan. A casual BB buyer, yes and that is the sad truth of it - people are impressed by a larger number even if it's a meaningless one.

Those that still may remember me as an an active poster in Pioneer threads, I still have my SC-09TX, the most powerful HT AVR made and an SC-68. While I've have made progress to putting in an Atmos setup by installing overheads, I still have an AVR-prepro to buy and have held off for nearly 2 yrs until all the pieces were in place for Atmos-dts-x-4K UHD.

I've strongly considering the Marantz 8802A, but I would strongly add this new Pioneer to my list IF only it had multichannel analogs in's. I wish Pioneer hadn't dropped them. I may be in a minority but I do need them if I am to ever replace my SC-09TX. So sadly I have to pass on the SC-LX901.
Regarding crossovers, just being able to have more settings to choose from would be a step forward. 80hz or 50hz isn't choice... boooo
post #33 of 36 Old 09-29-2016, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 3486 Post(s)
Liked: 1757
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 View Post
Mark: Great review as usual. I have always been a Pioneer customer and still have my Elite VSX-03. When comparing 2 new receivers (the 901 & 801), I noticed that both had 4K 60 Ultra HD pass through but not 4K Ultra HD Pass through. Would this be important when purchasing a new 4K tv? I stopped by the Pioneer booth when I went to CES in NYC and was told about the new line of receivers especially the 11 channel unit..thanks in advance.. Matt
My presumption is that being able to pass through 4k @ 60 fps means that it's also able to pass through 4k @ 24 and 4k @ 30. I assume it's the latter two frame rates that you mean when you omitted that value.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped

post #34 of 36 Old 09-29-2016, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 3
god i owuld lover to have this
Boirathor and New24K like this.
post #35 of 36 Old 07-26-2017, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
I am afraid not. First question I asked.
Doesn't the high end Anthems do that?
post #36 of 36 Old 07-27-2017, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Nice to see 11 channels of amplification. Exactly what I need for my Atmos room!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
7.1.4 , avr , Pioneer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page