LG ProBeam Laser Light Engine Projector HF80JA to be Unveiled at CES 2017 - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 47Likes

post #31 of 79 Old 12-24-2016, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocedeg View Post
You are very wrong on this.

Joe Public really like it when he leaves Costco with a 4K HDR tv or (eventually) projector.

Because even if Joe Public knows nothing about tech or quality, he really loves to tell his friends he got "the latest".
I really do believe we are a small percentage of the media watching public. If you look at DVD and Blu-Ray sales both were down this year but streaming has more than doubled each of the last 3 years. I prefer my blu rays to anything I can stream but streaming is the future and the proof is easy to see. Both the Super Walmart and Best Buy near me have down sized their DVD and music sections and I have read in several threads the same happening elsewhere but have increased the mobile devices and computer sections.

Amazon video, Roku, Apple TV, Netflix, Hulu, Vudu are all pouring billions into streaming technology. Internet speeds will eventually catch up once fiber becomes more ready available and when that happens packaged media is done. Then it will be just how much data and how fast you can stream it that will determine 1080p, 4k, 8k, etc.
DanHouck likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 79 Old 12-24-2016, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1394
I also think it's going to be a "wow, lasers" but then end up with "aww, poor input lag, no lens shift, poor contrast, no WCG support despite laser, no support for 1080p 120hz or 3D or FI to speak of, at an inflated price, pass".

I wish I weren't this cynical but AVS ruined me here, it's hard to beat my w1070 for 1080p even closing in to 2017.

ps guys, about 4K resolution: projectors are the one use case where 4K DOES make a difference. Well, that and VR. I'd still be happy with a 1080p WCG+HDR projector and save some cash over native 4K or especially "Faux K", but let's be real about where 4K is useful: very large screens. In terms of sharpness, a 1080p image at 120hz will deliver much more detail than a 4K one at 60hz, let alone one at 24hz. So if you want sharpness, first start realizing how your eyes are being starved for information both at 1080p and UHD: low frame rates. THEN move up to 4K. So there are irrational arguments on both sides here, I just laugh when I see people saying they want things to be clear so they want 4K but then insist on turning FI off and watching at 24 fps. It's really quite absurd. Motion blur trails make the difference between 4K and even 720p nil, as soon as stuff's in motion: namely foreground objects like people who are moving, or action scenes. Exactly the most exciting / interesting parts of movies are being blurred into oblivion and people on this forum keep fixating on spatial resolution instead of motion resolution.

Bah! humbug merry xmas btw.
catonic likes this.

Last edited by RLBURNSIDE; 12-24-2016 at 12:44 PM.
post #33 of 79 Old 12-24-2016, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2252 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khahhsounds View Post
The HD OLED looks better than many 4K sets. Couldnt this also be a consideration when the Lg laser comes out.
This would be true for a direct-laser model VS a different display tech, however this projector will almost surely be a regular single-chip DLP that just happens to use a laser+phosphor or laser+LED/hybrid light source. Think of the difference being more like a CFL-LCD television VS a non-FALD LED-LCD television... Little to no difference is made by the backlight source aside from allowing a smaller case/body.

Direct laser can reach incredible contrast measurements, but they are currently limited to brightness below 50-100lumens.
This, being much brighter will still be limited by its LCD or DLP panel's contrast (which typically peaks around 2000:1 for models under $2000)..and the small form-factor means it's likely DLP instead of LCD/LCoS.

The laser light can extend the gamut beyond most lamp-based systems, but LED models can also have very extended gamut range and either laser or LED would need to be a separate Red/Green/Blue source so the common laser+phosphor units (typically the brightest "laser" consumer models) don't get an extended gamut as they're not using the separate laser primaries, while the laser/LED hybrid models can't reach brighter than a similar LED projector with good color.

This would need to be using some new RGB laser light-source to reach notably higher brightness than the pf1500 and still offer an extended gamut beyond a typical lamp-lit model.. But that would still leave the contrast limited to the ~1500:1 ballpark.
Don't expect extended gamut or notably improved contrast or sharper focus.

The small size of this also means it's unlikely to offer much zoom or offset range (I think), so the main potential it has is offering something very much like the pf1500 while potentially being able to beat the pf1500's 700lm-900lm brightness. If this can't reach 1400lm or higher with good color/balance, it's probably not a worthwhile upgrade or alternative to the pf1500.
bmatzkow and Ryan1981 like this.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415

post #34 of 79 Old 12-24-2016, 08:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1772 Post(s)
Liked: 1693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khahhsounds View Post
I must admit that first I was a bit put-off by the 1080 specs. Maybe because I dont even have my first projector yet. Been doing some reviews so see the >15K price range as a starting point to get what I see as good entry point - to not spend money and only be partially satisified but saved a few dollars than spend what is needed and get the quality that satisifies. Does the display technology make a difference in video quality. Yeah, of course it does. Since its a laser engine would that not be an superb 1080p vs another technoloy that would be a sub par one. I bring this up because many of us know that in looking at new tv sets many of us would spend the money to get an HD(1080p) OLED than a different manuf 4K.

The HD OLED looks better than many 4K sets. Couldnt this also be a consideration when the Lg laser comes out. It is Lg after all. their processing engine may not be as comparable as sony's (to some folks) but they know how to make a satisfying picture. After all, my library is mostly 1080p(bluray) anyway and a lot of 720(Dvd).

With Lg behind it, lets hope that the picture sells it more than the specs. Im now interested - if the price is right.
you have an interesting view point on things. quite different from mine.

LG seems to have 'won' picture quality with their oled, but up to that point, i don't think they've made anything remarkable. their plasmas, and to my knowledge projectors, have been value oriented at best.

in terms of a projector version of lcd vs oled, that would be more about the panel the light is reflecting off of. currently LCOS is usually considered 'the best', i would say DLP is next, and LCD behind that. like flat panels, there's a lot of non-picture quality benefits to lcd, so as a result there's been a lot of effort put into 'fixing' the inherit pq issues, and a lot of progress has been made, but i digress.

the led light source is more like a ccfl backlight vs an led backlight. the benefits are 95% about efficiency and reliability, not picture quality. still, i'd like one, but only if it's paired with a lcos panel like i'm now used to. i don't believe the light source can make up for deficiencies in the panel tech
Ftoast likes this.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC(Enby), PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
post #35 of 79 Old 12-24-2016, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
I also think it's going to be a "wow, lasers" but then end up with "aww, poor input lag, no lens shift, poor contrast, no WCG support despite laser, no support for 1080p 120hz or 3D or FI to speak of, at an inflated price, pass".

I wish I weren't this cynical but AVS ruined me here, it's hard to beat my w1070 for 1080p even closing in to 2017.

ps guys, about 4K resolution: projectors are the one use case where 4K DOES make a difference. Well, that and VR. I'd still be happy with a 1080p WCG+HDR projector and save some cash over native 4K or especially "Faux K", but let's be real about where 4K is useful: very large screens. In terms of sharpness, a 1080p image at 120hz will deliver much more detail than a 4K one at 60hz, let alone one at 24hz. So if you want sharpness, first start realizing how your eyes are being starved for information both at 1080p and UHD: low frame rates. THEN move up to 4K. So there are irrational arguments on both sides here, I just laugh when I see people saying they want things to be clear so they want 4K but then insist on turning FI off and watching at 24 fps. It's really quite absurd. Motion blur trails make the difference between 4K and even 720p nil, as soon as stuff's in motion: namely foreground objects like people who are moving, or action scenes. Exactly the most exciting / interesting parts of movies are being blurred into oblivion and people on this forum keep fixating on spatial resolution instead of motion resolution.

Bah! humbug merry xmas btw.

really wish we could get SOURCES with higher frame rates. i hate, hate, hate frame interpolation of any kind. it's like the visual equivalent of having a constant hiss on the audio track. it can't be ignored, and i'm never getting used to it. but watching a 60hz source on a decent plasma looks like a window, it's 'perfect' to me.

so i sort of agree with you, but with a caveat. it HAS to be at the source. anything, whether resolution, frame rate, HDR, whatever can't be 'faked'. if it's not present at the source, it's not worth much to me.
Ftoast, Bandyka and unknownbeef like this.

post #36 of 79 Old 12-24-2016, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerodynamics View Post
I actually think it's the other way around. The average consumer wants their next TV to be 4k because these days it's more common to find a new TV with 4k than one without it. All the Sunday ads, Christmas sales, Black Friday sales, etc are pushing it hard.

An AVS enthusiast would buy a great performing 1080p TV before a run of the mill 4k and then rationalize it by saying 90% of content is still 720/1080. The average Joe will look at that same 1080p and go "psssh, gimme the 4k."
agreed

informed, avs-consumer will/should choose quality
average media brainwashed consumer will 'know' that more k's is more better

just like when edgelit led's had million to one contrast ratios and 120hz, so they were way better than plasmas with mere thousands to one CR's and only 60hz...

post #37 of 79 Old 12-25-2016, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Looks like something only a Dr. Who fan could come up with!
post #38 of 79 Old 12-26-2016, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
You're overlooking that he can see the difference on a 20" screen at 100 yards.
Can't everyone?
post #39 of 79 Old 01-05-2017, 10:47 AM

Has anyone seen this in action at CES yet?
post #40 of 79 Old 01-05-2017, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Has anyone seen this in action at CES yet?
Yes, anxious to hear all about this one.
post #41 of 79 Old 01-06-2017, 12:04 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Does anyone know what is the price of projector LG HF80J? I have information that about 1700$.
http://www.allprojectors.ru/ap_modul...ojectors/11742

Last edited by esegan; 01-06-2017 at 12:16 AM.
post #42 of 79 Old 01-06-2017, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I found this video of the probeam on YouTube. I don't speak the language, can anyone translate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Epson Home Cinema 3010 Projector____Paradigm 9SE MK II Main LR
Yamaha RX-V667 AVR_______________Paradigm CC-270 V.3 Center
Emotiva UPA-5 Amplifier______________Dual Stereo Integrity 18" Infinite Baffle
Sony BDP-570 Blu Ray_______________DIY Sound Group Volt 10
post #43 of 79 Old 01-06-2017, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Hmm..contrast doesn't look so great despite being in a relatively dark space but that could be the content or the camera.

My always evolving setup | Samsung PN64H5000 Plasma | Sony STR-DH800 AVR | Energy Take Classic 7.2 | Comcast X1 | PS4 | Panasonic DMP-BD60
post #44 of 79 Old 01-06-2017, 09:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerodynamics View Post
Hmm..contrast doesn't look so great despite being in a relatively dark space but that could be the content or the camera.

I also noticed that there were lights overhead that were shining onto the screen at various points of the demo. They are probably used to give you an idea of how the projector handles ambient lights.

post #45 of 79 Old 01-07-2017, 04:22 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by action_jackson View Post
I also noticed that there were lights overhead that were shining onto the screen at various points of the demo. They are probably used to give you an idea of how the projector handles ambient lights.

Does this projector support 3D? 2D to 3D conversion? Maybe our family is in the minority but we really enjoy 3D. Would like my next projector purchase to be able to support our family 3D Blu-ray collection.
post #46 of 79 Old 01-07-2017, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBobMan View Post
Does this projector support 3D? 2D to 3D conversion? Maybe our family is in the minority but we really enjoy 3D. Would like my next projector purchase to be able to support our family 3D Blu-ray collection.

There is no mention of 3D features on the LG website. It seems like 3D is being phased out.

post #47 of 79 Old 01-07-2017, 08:02 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3901 Post(s)
Liked: 3333
I asked 4 different people in the LG booth and even showed them the picture, they didn't have a clue if it was at the show. But they knew where the refrigerators were.
unknownbeef likes this.
post #48 of 79 Old 01-07-2017, 08:08 AM

The projector 1500 for US too there is not 3D, but the model Largo for Europe as everyone knows is 3D. So let's not rush to draw conclusions is likely to be several versions 80.
http://www.lg.com/us/home-video/lg-HF80JA-projector
RLBURNSIDE likes this.

Last edited by esegan; 01-07-2017 at 09:45 AM.
post #49 of 79 Old 01-07-2017, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
I asked 4 different people in the LG booth and even showed them the picture, they didn't have a clue if it was at the show. But they knew where the refrigerators were.

It's supposed to be at booth #11100 in Central Hall.

post #50 of 79 Old 01-07-2017, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
post #51 of 79 Old 01-07-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:

Why the ___ would they need to do that. Anyone using projection and enabling ambient lights deserves to lose contrast. Show us what it'll look like in a dark room, to see how its performance compares to ultra-cheap lamp based DLPs which are dirt cheap at this point. The fact that the projector is tiny and laser-powered is really just a gimmick.

You install it once and forget about it, period. Who needs their projectors to be mobile? That's a gimmick.

I'm interested in the contrast specs, not how it "handles" stupidity or user error which don't apply to me.
post #52 of 79 Old 01-07-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltonebob View Post
"Laser is sharper" ? The light source has nothing to do with how sharp the final projected image is, unless it's direct laser scanning which is focus-free which this isn't.

tl;dr : 1500$, available in march, supports multiple projection (can be done in software regardless for multi-monitor PC games so not sure how this is an actual "feature").

Worth checking into but the contrast doesn't seem super great and the fact that they don't refer to UHD input capability means those lasers are probably not going to result in wide colour gamut support (or HDR).
post #53 of 79 Old 01-07-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
There is no mention of 3D features on the LG website. It seems like 3D is being phased out.
So Americans would rather buy a projector without 3D, even though the exact same model in Europe has 3D? Same exact hardware, less features.

Less is more? Uhh, no, less features is less, especially if it's just a difference between firmware.
post #54 of 79 Old 01-07-2017, 02:19 PM

While LG does not disclose information about a specific type of laser light source, but most likely it will be LED-laser option without a color wheel in which red and blue color generated by LEDs, and a green phosphor under the influence of the laser.
post #55 of 79 Old 01-07-2017, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esegan View Post
While LG does not disclose information about a specific type of laser light source, but most likely it will be LED-laser option without a color wheel in which red and blue color generated by LEDs, and a green phosphor under the influence of the laser.

The rep in the video said it didn't have LED bulbs, so it is probably two blue lasers with one shining on a phosphor wheel then filtered to red and green. This is how several of the newer laser projectors have been doing it lately. Casio does use the method you mentioned. I guess we won't know for sure until people start getting their hands on these.

post #56 of 79 Old 01-09-2017, 11:48 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
The fact that the projector is tiny and laser-powered is really just a gimmick.
Why is laser-powered a gimmick?

It eliminates concern about lamp life and reduced brightness over time.

Noah
post #57 of 79 Old 01-10-2017, 03:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The girl he interviewed in that youtube vid is not really from LG but a tradeshow model for hire. She knows nothing about the projector.
RLBURNSIDE likes this.

Last edited by kennl66; 01-10-2017 at 03:06 AM.
post #58 of 79 Old 01-10-2017, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
Why is laser-powered a gimmick?

It eliminates concern about lamp life and reduced brightness over time.
Those are concerns, but relatively minor compared to contrast, resolution, HDR, WCG, which laser does nothing to solve in this case (although it could, which is the real disappointment).

Consider this: I'm on my second bulb on my w1070 from 2011, and I watched around 5500 hours on the first one and 5000 hours on the second so far, and the replacement bulb cost me literally 80 bucks. Reduced brightness is indeed more an issue, but "laser" in and of itself is useful for image quality only if you exploit its ability to use wider colour gamut and/or attenuate the colours independently or faster (for pseudo "SmartEco" or dynamic mode).

Also consider that there are 3000-4000 dollar HDR projectors coming out this year, the new Optoma and JVC models, which are lamp based and many don't come with WCG despite having HDR. IMO laser lighting is a much better fit for higher priced HDR+WCG. Hence, I think the pairing of this model with laser to ignore the fact that a) it's still 1080p, b) still low contrast DLP, c) still WCG despite an ability to support DCI easily if they wanted to (maybe the lasers at those primaries would be slightly less common thus more expensive, who knows).

So yeah, I consider the fact that this has "lasers" to be secondary to its other characteristics which are probably the same as my 5 year old w1070. The current lamp based 1080p BenQs are quite quiet too, apparently, although yes all other things beyind equal it would be nice to have 20k hours and no brightness degradation and instant-on / off ability.

Maybe "gimmick" is too strong a word. Distraction, yes. It's a BIG SHINY new feature that delivers what an 3 80 dollar bulbs cost (in terms of lifespan). So maybe worth 240 bucks? More if you consider the even brightness. Instant on/off is "nice" but also hardly a big deal either.

I say all this as a huge fan of laser illumination (and LED to a lesser extent). I applaud LG for going the extra mile here but 1080p DLP without 3D is just a slap in the face and I'm not giving them my money. It's literally a firmware issue in all likelihood. Probably the feature even exists they just disabled it in the menu. Seriously, 3D is probably baked into the HDMI and supporting electronics for all these consumer 1080p DLPs and they went out of their way to disable 3D.
ChaosCloud likes this.
post #59 of 79 Old 01-11-2017, 11:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
Maybe "gimmick" is too strong a word. Distraction, yes. It's a BIG SHINY new feature that delivers what an 3 80 dollar bulbs cost (in terms of lifespan).
Yes, it is.

You've certainly got a lot more life from your lamps than I have, and I suspect my experience is more typical than yours.

Noah
post #60 of 79 Old 01-12-2017, 03:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've spent $900 in bulbs for my epson 3010. The projected image is pretty much unwatchable at this point with 15,000 hours on it. I was hoping to get another 5,000 hours out of it, but I have now retired it and have my old epson HC400 mounted in its place until I decide on what to replace it with. One thing for sure, it's not going to be an LCD and preferably something with a solid state light source. I'm tired of worrying about bulbs dimming and power cycling the projector.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
lg probeam hf80ja

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page