DISH Tackles Low Customer Satisfaction with "Tuned In To You" Promise - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By wiyosaya
  • 3 Post By abillmann

post #1 of 10 Old 02-06-2017, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 276 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6596 Post(s)
Liked: 11347
DISH Tackles Low Customer Satisfaction with "Tuned In To You" Promise

Can a new slogan, and an ad campaign, and a training program, turn the tide in an industry that's known for terrible customer service? Let's hope DISH succeeds. Read more by clicking the link: http://www.avsforum.com/wordpress/wp...89&action=edit

Mark Henninger, Senior Editor at AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-06-2017, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked: 982
I had dish in the late 90's. it was all digital so it looked much better than cable. Plus I could get local LA channels in addition to local Washington DC channels, so I had better NFL options. I think it was illegal, but they allowed it. I bought a Dish DVR for $199 that had no monthly fee. Best purchase I ever made. Cable switched to all digital a couple of years later and offered high speed internet, so I dropped Dish and went with Comcast.

Glad dish is trying to improve things. The more/better options we have, the better.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-06-2017, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Just recently had to replace a non-functioning VIP211K receiver from DISH. After performing all sorts of troubleshooting for the tech, DISH sent me a replacement within 3 days. Pretty Prompt.

post #4 of 10 Old 02-06-2017, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I was a Dish customer until three years ago. When calling their tech support, my experience with them was always very good. In addition, their installers were professionals that listened to what I wanted them to do. I had no complaints about them from the standpoint of technical support.

However, my wife and I were watching about five channels regularly, and others only occasionally. We had the top-end package that did not include any premium channels. Why we switched was the price of the package. At the time, I was paying $87/mo for that service, and that was after several price hikes along the way.

I built a HTPC, get my local stations OTA with DVR capability through Media Portal, subscribe to Netflix, and get commercial Hulu free from Bing points. My wife gets one CNN program via subscription from iTunes for $4.00/mo. So, we are now paying $14/mo for, essentially, what we were paying $87/mo - though we have to wait for programs from cable networks to be released on Netflix.

We could not be happier, and in the three-years time, we have paid for all the equipment we bought at the time in the form of savings on that $87/mo bill. Unless the new FCC totally screws up internet so that everything costs substantially more, we will never go back to dish or any other pay TV service.

Personally, I think this is where their customer dissatisfaction stems from - their service is vastly overpriced to many with regard to the content it delivers, since their technical support is very good. If they had an Ala-carte model where each station were say $0.99/mo and I did not have to subsidize channels I never watch, I might consider going back, but not with the current model.
DeadEd and sdurani like this.

My HT and the thrill of getting new equipment.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-06-2017, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1288 Post(s)
Liked: 942
I've been a dish customer for about seven years, and I've always been impressed with their customer service.

The drawbacks are loss of signal during heavy rainfall, their tendency to pick fights with content providers leading to content blackouts every couple of years, and the price.

I could save $100/month switching to Comcast (since I already get my internet through Comcast). The only thing that's been holding me back is remembering how awful Comcast customer support was back when I had them for TV service. Still, their new DVR boxes are much nicer than their old ones pre-X1, and $100/month is nothing to sneeze at, so I may be making the leap.

I was seriously considering going to PlayStation Vue, but the lack of 5.1 surround is a deal breaker, and with the combined TV+internet pricing from Comcast it's pretty close in price to doing internet + PS Vue.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-07-2017, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiyosaya View Post
If they had an Ala-carte model where each station were say $0.99/mo and I did not have to subsidize channels I never watch, I might consider going back, but not with the current model.
Ala-carte channels will be a lot more than 99 cents each. ESPN charges something like $7.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-07-2017, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post
Ala-carte channels will be a lot more than 99 cents each. ESPN charges something like $7.
$0.99 is my price point, and I simply will not pay more than that because it is not worth it to me.

What services like ESPN charge are based on what they think the market will support. As I see it, if people were willing to forego having ESPN because it charges $7, they would have to lower the price.

My HT and the thrill of getting new equipment.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-08-2017, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuteTibiImperes View Post
I've been a dish customer for about seven years, and I've always been impressed with their customer service.

The drawbacks are loss of signal during heavy rainfall, their tendency to pick fights with content providers leading to content blackouts every couple of years, and the price.

I could save $100/month switching to Comcast (since I already get my internet through Comcast). The only thing that's been holding me back is remembering how awful Comcast customer support was back when I had them for TV service. Still, their new DVR boxes are much nicer than their old ones pre-X1, and $100/month is nothing to sneeze at, so I may be making the leap.

I was seriously considering going to PlayStation Vue, but the lack of 5.1 surround is a deal breaker, and with the combined TV+internet pricing from Comcast it's pretty close in price to doing internet + PS Vue.
I'm curious how much you are paying for Dish that you could save $100 a month switching to Comcast. I use At&t Uverse and feel like I am getting ripped off. It looks like Dish has the best pricing, but then they all look good for the first year or two until they jack the prices up to their normal level. I'm starting to think the only way to save money over the long run is to drop them all and go OTA or keep the rates down by switching every year or two.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-08-2017, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gworrel View Post
It looks like Dish has the best pricing, but then they all look good for the first year or two until they jack the prices up to their normal level. I'm starting to think the only way to save money over the long run is to drop them all and go OTA or keep the rates down by switching every year or two.
I've been doing the Two-Year Dance with both Dish Network and DirecTV for about six years now. In each case, as the initial agreement and introductory pricing runs out, I've called them and offered to pay the average between their introductory price and their regular price on an ongoing basis...something that seems fair and reasonable. Each time, they refuse.

So instead of a long-term relationship with either one, I switch about every 25 months, get better pricing and new equipment. Apparently this is what they'd like us to do. From the standpoints of business modeling, customer experience or marketing, it's beyond stupid. But that's what they've taught their customers to do.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-08-2017, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by abillmann View Post
I've been doing the Two-Year Dance with both Dish Network and DirecTV for about six years now. In each case, as the initial agreement and introductory pricing runs out, I've called them and offered to pay the average between their introductory price and their regular price on an ongoing basis...something that seems fair and reasonable. Each time, they refuse.

So instead of a long-term relationship with either one, I switch about every 25 months, get better pricing and new equipment. Apparently this is what they'd like us to do. From the standpoints of business modeling, customer experience or marketing, it's beyond stupid. But that's what they've taught their customers to do.
Trouble is, I'm overdue on that schedule. Which is exactly what they hope for--that people will be lazy and complacent and stay put after the discounts run out. No Comcast in your area?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Dish Network , tuned into you

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page