Bose Spies on Users with Wireless App According to Class Action Lawsuit - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes
  • 1 Post By mhutchins
  • 1 Post By 41532
  • 4 Post By imagic
  • 1 Post By kucharsk
  • 2 Post By RafaelSmith
  • 1 Post By Jonas2

post #1 of 20 Old 04-19-2017, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
Assoc. Editor @ AVS Forum

Mentioned: 259 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6297 Post(s)
Liked: 11016
Bose Spies on Users with Wireless App According to Class Action Lawsuit

A lawsuit filed in Chicago yesterday alleges that Bose collects private data from users of its wireless app and sells it without user permission. Click the link to read more: Bose Wireless Headphones Spy on Users Says Class Action Lawsuit

Mark Henninger (aka Imagic)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-19-2017, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Thumbs down

Wow!!

That's pretty underhanded of Bose, if this turns out to be true. I bet they didn't even offer an opt out clause and it sure sounds like they failed to disclose the existence of this data mining operation (unless it was buried in a 30-page End User Licensing Agreement in a 6 point font next to the "Continue" button on the software download page). Worse yet, it wasn't even for internal marketing, but was instead purely an additional income stream. This sort of activity should not be legal without the customer's explicit consent! It is discouraging to see so many businesses that are willing to sell their integrity to the highest bidder in their quest to increase their income. If this turns out to be true, this sort of activity is a clear indicator of decay at the highest levels of Bose management....

Mike
18Hurts likes this.
post #3 of 20 Old 04-20-2017, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Liked: 2754
this is disturbing: I have the QC 35 and have used the app

and to think I paid a premium to Bose so they could hack me

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess this is a red flag issue
HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
Test Reports HDMI Cables that support 18GBPS&HDMI 2.0b

post #4 of 20 Old 04-20-2017, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm not really surprise and expect this behaviour from all companies.
fitbrit likes this.

AACD
post #5 of 20 Old 04-20-2017, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhutchins View Post
Wow!!

That's pretty underhanded of Bose, if this turns out to be true. I bet they didn't even offer an opt out clause and it sure sounds like they failed to disclose the existence of this data mining operation (unless it was buried in a 30-page End User Licensing Agreement in a 6 point font next to the "Continue" button on the software download page). Worse yet, it wasn't even for internal marketing, but was instead purely an additional income stream. This sort of activity should not be legal without the customer's explicit consent! It is discouraging to see so many businesses that are willing to sell their integrity to the highest bidder in their quest to increase their income. If this turns out to be true, this sort of activity is a clear indicator of decay at the highest levels of Bose management....

Mike
May guess is loads of companies are doing this...also, I wonder how Bose got caught? The average person would never know this was happening...maybe some rogue employee spilled the beans?
post #6 of 20 Old 04-21-2017, 12:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41532 View Post
I'm not really surprise and expect this behaviour from all companies.
Exactly, you can not trust any of them. This reminds of when Sony installed illegal rootkits on millions of computers that modified the OS to prevent copying and also sent back user's private information to Sony.
post #7 of 20 Old 04-21-2017, 12:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Court clogger. This is the modern version on ambulance chasing for attorneys, I fear that more than anything. Class action raises prices on consumers in the long run. AKA Your wallet.

"Oooh a puzzle box, I love puzzles"/ "Are you familiar with 'The Lament Configuration"/ "Actually I'm lousy at puzzles..."
post #8 of 20 Old 04-21-2017, 02:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Court clogger. This is the modern version on ambulance chasing for attorneys, I fear that more than anything. Class action raises prices on consumers in the long run. AKA Your wallet.
Class action is also one of the mechanisms that polices capitalist economies. Also, don't gigantic salaries and bonuses and ill-conceived ad campaigns also raise costs? Where does Bose get all the money it hands to the NFL? Consumers' pockets, that's where. Plus sometimes luxury goods are simply priced high so they can be perceived as luxury goods, period. That raises costs, too.

Yes, there are plenty of firms out there hunting for class action lawsuits to file. Indeed, if a player in the high-end super-expensive audio cable industry were large and profitable enough, it would draw their attention too. I know because I asked. Anywhere a lawyer sees a consumer being defrauded, the first question is "how can I profit off of this?" That's the way it works. The sharks are circling.

Last edited by imagic; 04-21-2017 at 03:03 AM.
post #9 of 20 Old 04-22-2017, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1420 Post(s)
Liked: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Class action is also one of the mechanisms that polices capitalist economies. Also, don't gigantic salaries and bonuses and ill-conceived ad campaigns also raise costs? Where does Bose get all the money it hands to the NFL? Consumers' pockets, that's where. Plus sometimes luxury goods are simply priced high so they can be perceived as luxury goods, period. That raises costs, too.
Class action lawsuits are almost always a waste of time.

If this is like the vast majority of them, about three years from now, Bose will settle without admitting to any wrongdoing, the attorneys will get $40 million, and the class members will get a $10 coupon good for a future Bose purchase.
markrubin likes this.
post #10 of 20 Old 04-22-2017, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
Class action lawsuits are almost always a waste of time.

If this is like the vast majority of them, about three years from now, Bose will settle without admitting to any wrongdoing, the attorneys will get $40 million, and the class members will get a $10 coupon good for a future Bose purchase.
Yeah typically. I once owned a GMC Jimmy, so I know all about class action lawsuits and how they work out.

post #11 of 20 Old 04-22-2017, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizban19 View Post
May guess is loads of companies are doing this...also, I wonder how Bose got caught? The average person would never know this was happening...maybe some rogue employee spilled the beans?
Or someone read the license agreement for the Bose app and used a packet analyser to analyse the data being sent over their network?

Last edited by Joe Bloggs; 04-22-2017 at 07:38 PM.
post #12 of 20 Old 04-23-2017, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bloggs View Post
Or someone read the license agreement for the Bose app and used a packet analyser to analyse the data being sent over their network?

Wireshark is free and easy to use.

post #13 of 20 Old 05-09-2017, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Glad I never got Bose.
post #14 of 20 Old 05-17-2017, 03:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Vizio just paid a big fine for doing exactly the same thing. In my opinion it is unfortunate that no jail time was attached to the settlement, but that's just me.

Condemning all attorneys who file class action lawsuits, because some attorneys profit more than their clients is not an accurate depiction of the private legal system. Neither is it accurate to say that all corporations sell out their customers.

The other mechanism for stopping unfair practices by corporations is federal and state government action. While it may be tempting to form a hasty generalization that all government action is useless, it is probably also not accurate.

The internet is still in its infancy. The rules are still being made. There seems to be a consensus that customers should have a right to privacy. Corporations who do not honor the privilege given to them by their constituents should have their behavior altered. It will not work to say "you are a naughty corporation; now you play fair", and they will magically come in line.

Corporations exist to make a profit. Action which affects their bottom line is one very effective way to alter their behavior. Bringing the full weight of the public and private legal system to bear will probably get their attention. Take away their money and things will change. Again I lament the fact that more bad actors are not in jail.

It is probably not realistic to expect that people who do the hard work of bringing evidence against the corporations will do that work pro bono or to think that government workers will volunteer their time. People may quibble over what is considered a reasonable profit for attorneys or they may point out problems with the government actions, but to condemn the entire process without proposing workable alternatives is counter productive.

7.4.4 system with Denon 5200 (Height 1, Height 2, surround, rear surround), Emotiva XPA-5 (front, center), All Klipsch speakers: Cornwall (front), 2 Heresy (center), 2-kg-1.5 (front surround), 2-kg-1.5 (middle surround), 2 RS-7 (rear surround), 4 KSW 15 (sub), 2 SA-2 height-1, 2 SA-2 height-2, Oppo 203, Mac Mini (network), Apple TV (DNLA), Roku 4, 3TB My Book (DNLA), Dell PC (Network), Vizio UM-P702uiB3, Logitech Harmony Companion, X-box one s

Last edited by Alanlee; 05-18-2017 at 05:37 AM.
post #15 of 20 Old 05-17-2017, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 385
The worse part of this would be the embarrassment suffered by everyone finding out I had Bose products.
Dan Hitchman and Viper359 like this.
post #16 of 20 Old 05-21-2017, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1270 Post(s)
Liked: 520
I simply figure that anything with any sort of microphone or camera or network interconnectivity is doing this, call me paranoid, call it 1984, but it's the modern reality in my mind.
KSpan likes this.

5.2.4 System....Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60; Power Distribution: Panamax M5400-PM;
Mains:
Paradigm 85F and 55C (Piano Black); Side Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III (Dusk); Amplification: D-Sonic M3-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w);
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Sony BDP S-470, Pioneer CLD-59
post #17 of 20 Old 05-24-2017, 01:14 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Soon all companies will do this.
post #18 of 20 Old 06-15-2017, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
As if their products weren't expensive enough...shame
post #19 of 20 Old 07-01-2017, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Yet another reason not to buy Bose and any other brand that trys to do the same thing!

Supporter of 1080p & 4K/UHD video (173 480p DVD Titles, 321 1080p Blu-ray Titles - 40 UHD 4K Blu-ray Titles - 75 HD-DVD's & Vudu 57)/ Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio. Samsung UHD 4K Blu-ray Player UBD-K8500
post #20 of 20 Old 07-01-2017, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1602 Post(s)
Liked: 928
Fake news...

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Bose , quietcomfort 35 , wireless

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page