My Audio/Video Experience - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 558 Old 06-09-2009, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yeah, Morkie is a sweet looking dog there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 558 Old 06-09-2009, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by croseiv View Post

Hi ld-

Lookin' good as usual. If anything it looks even more organized than before.

Thanks Croseiv.
BTW, I haven't about forgot opening the Marantz amp. I ended up having to work the whole weekend. I am off this Thursday so I will conduct surgery that afternoon Photos of the procedure will be posted shortly thereafter!

Regards.

"Chance favors only the prepared mind. "Louis Pasteur"

ldgibson76

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #273 of 558 Old 06-09-2009, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Hey LD, quick question. Well, first great looking as usual, love the wire management. Anyway, is your Belkin switch auto sensing or do you have to manually change it? I ask because my U-Verse DVR is always on (well I mean even when it's "off" the video outputs are still active). That made my Radiient switch I was using ineffective from a simple operation standpoint as it would always default to whatever input the DVR was connected to and not switch when the other devices were activated. It was a somewhat minor annoyance to me and since I use a Harmony it really isn't a big deal but my wife is another story lol. She refuses to use the remote and would complain because she would have to get up to switch the inputs everytime she wanted to watch a movie or tv. Just a bit of venting on my part apparently lol but I thought I'd ask and see if you have the same issue. Great setup as usual and keep up the wire management improvements.

post #274 of 558 Old 06-09-2009, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldgibson76 View Post

Thanks Croseiv.
BTW, I haven't about forgot opening the Marantz amp. I ended up having to work the whole weekend. I am off this Thursday so I will conduct surgery that afternoon Photos of the procedure will be posted shortly thereafter!

Regards.

Hey, that's great! I'll be checking in frequently..

post #275 of 558 Old 06-09-2009, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post

ld,

Looks great! I love the statues, they are perfect for the room. Morkie is adorable, but at the same time ready to defend the AV room...

Any decision on the music server/transport? Also, where did you get that deal on the monster hdmi??

Hello Dan!

How are you guy?! It's been a while. Thanks for checking out the thread. It's always good to hear from you.
The statues were truly a lucky find. At first, I thought they where kind of gaudy. Then again, my room is very boring and in need of a character boost!
So they do add a little presence.

The Morkie, for you designer mutt challenged individuals, Maltese and Yorkie.
We got her back in November of 2008. And she definitely has personality!
But she's a scruff in need of a perm! She actually barks at the images on the screen when watching Animal Planet!

Now for the music server. That project has been put on hold due to my daughter's graduation. Dan! Graduation is expensive! Her senior pictures were $350.00! And that was the economy package! Not to mention the usual monetary gifts, the trip to Florida, Italy and Paris! Dude, I'm done until July when I get my bonus!
Anyway, I will address the music server in July. The HTPC is looking very attractive right now though.

Now, the MC M-Series M1000 HDMI cable was featured on Amazon.com. Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...4602900&sr=8-1

Currently, the cheapest one is priced at $49.99. And that still isn't bad for brand new!

Regards.

ldgibson76

post #276 of 558 Old 06-09-2009, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hello Dan!

How are you guy?! It's been a while. Thanks for checking out the thread. It's always good to hear from you.
The statues were truly a lucky find. At first, I thought they where kind of gaudy. Then again, my room is very boring and in need of a character boost!

But she's a scruff in need of a perm! She actually barks at the images on the screen when watching Animal Planet!

Now for the music server. That project has been put on hold due to my daughter's graduation. Dan! Graduation is expensive! Her senior pictures were $350.00! And that was the economy package! Not to mention the usual monetary gifts, the trip to Florida, Italy and Paris! Dude, I'm done until July when I get my bonus!
Anyway, I will address the music server in July. The HTPC is looking very attractive right now though.

Now, the MC M-Series M1000 HDMI cable was featured on Amazon.com. Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...4602900&sr=8-1

Currently, the cheapest one is priced at $49.99. And that still isn't bad for brand new!

Regards.

Yeah, I was looking at Morkie trying to figure out the mix. I see some hints schnauzer and spaniel in there it looks like from the picture. I to have to balance the audio addiction with family priorities as I have four kids myself ranging from 6-13 years of age.

post #277 of 558 Old 06-09-2009, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

Hey LD, quick question. Well, first great looking as usual, love the wire management. Anyway, is your Belkin switch auto sensing or do you have to manually change it? I ask because my U-Verse DVR is always on (well I mean even when it's "off" the video outputs are still active). That made my Radiient switch I was using ineffective from a simple operation standpoint as it would always default to whatever input the DVR was connected to and not switch when the other devices were activated. It was a somewhat minor annoyance to me and since I use a Harmony it really isn't a big deal but my wife is another story lol. She refuses to use the remote and would complain because she would have to get up to switch the inputs everytime she wanted to watch a movie or tv. Just a bit of venting on my part apparently lol but I thought I'd ask and see if you have the same issue. Great setup as usual and keep up the wire management improvements.

Hello PC!

Long time no post! it's also good to hear from you. How's the little guy coming along (I hope it's a boy! If not, my apologies!)

Thanks for the acknowledgement regarding the system and cable management. But as you have discovered, Clean and efficient is the virtue. I must eventually convert.
I don't think it's auto-sensing. But I have it's remote signal programmed into my URC-850 Universal remote. So whichever source I want to watch, I press the designated button on the 850 for that device and the Belkin switching to the appropriate input is the first stage of the macro commands. It remains at that input until I select another device. It's not a very sophisticated switcher at all. but it has been reliable, damn near flawless.
I hope I've answered your question.

Regards.

ldgibson76

post #278 of 558 Old 06-09-2009, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, I was looking at Morkie trying to figure out the mix. I see some hints schnauzer and spaniel in there it looks like from the picture. I to have to balance the audio addiction with family priorities as I have four kids myself ranging from 6-13 years of age.

Croseiv. I would have never guessed that you have 4 kids! From the photos, your house looks like a "child-free" zone!
I have 2 girls, 18 and 11. They drive me nuts! But I love them! My oldest will be attending Univ. of DE this fall, so I must maintain a high level of discipline when it comes to spending money on this stuff. We just got her a car and naturally she's on our insurance! $1000.00 more per year and that's with the high GPA and the defensive driving course discounts!
I've been trying to purchase new chairs for my room for a year now. I hoping that this bonus will cover everything I want to accomplish this summer! Wishful thinking, I guess!

Regards.

ldgibson76

post #279 of 558 Old 06-10-2009, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Hello Dan!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000JVGWJI/ref=sr_1_olp_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1244602900&sr=8-1

Regards.

Thanks for the link!

ld, congratulations on your daughter's graduation!! You must be very proud!

LOL, on a funnier note, just wait a couple of years when she has a good job and everything, she'll show up on your birthday with a complete Krell setup and a pair of Martin Logans for Xmas!!

I am working on my daughter's priorities, she'll be 2 this month and when you ask her "what does daddy want?" she says "amp'fier" it's hilarious...

Later...

post #280 of 558 Old 06-11-2009, 07:56 AM

Im in Delaware....yeahhhh...Delaware..(Wayne's World)

lol my parents live in magnolia/dover

post #281 of 558 Old 06-12-2009, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Croseiv.

Regards.

Any news on the progress of the surgery?

post #282 of 558 Old 06-14-2009, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranormalg35 View Post

Im in Delaware....yeahhhh...Delaware..(Wayne's World)

lol my parents live in magnolia/dover

Hello paranormalg35.

Good to see a fellow Delawarian on the Forum.

Regards.

ldgibson76

post #283 of 558 Old 06-14-2009, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any news on the progress of the surgery?

Hello Croseiv.

I want to apologize for not responding quickly to your inquiry. Unfortunately, I've had to postpone the surgical procedure. Due to unforeseen circumstances, like, my wife being a total PITA, as of late, has curtailed my usual 2 days of peace which allows me to indulge in my fantasy world of electronics. Dude, it's always something, not to mention issues at work that surfaced on Friday, that apparently only "I" could resolve!!!

Anyway, my hope is to be able to get to the project this evening.

Please forgive my rant.

Regards.

ldgibson76

post #284 of 558 Old 06-14-2009, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hello Croseiv.

I want to apologize for not responding quickly to your inquiry. Unfortunately, I've had to postpone the surgical procedure. Due to unforeseen circumstances, like, my wife being a total PITA, as of late, has curtailed my usual 2 days of peace which allows me to indulge in my fantasy world of electronics. Dude, it's always something, not to mention issues at work that surfaced on Friday, that apparently only "I" could resolve!!!

Anyway, my hope is to be able to get to the project this evening.

Please forgive my rant.

Regards.

No sweat there ld. I certainly wouldn't want you to rush such a delicate procedure... I can relate to the spousal needs there as well. Fortunately, I had a bit of time at home while my wife was out yesterday, so I got some good quality time in with the system.

post #285 of 558 Old 06-17-2009, 06:19 AM

Did you notice a PQ upgrade with this new Monster HDMI Cable? Or, where you looking for a SQ improvement? Both? I am curious to see if the more expensive cables make a difference or if you are just paying for a brand name?
post #286 of 558 Old 06-17-2009, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxFreak View Post

Did you notice a PQ upgrade with this new Monster HDMI Cable? Or, where you looking for a SQ improvement? Both? I am curious to see if the more expensive cables make a difference or if you are just paying for a brand name?

Hello xboxFreak.

The HDMI cable that the Monster Cable M-Series M1000 replaced was a generic one from Verizon Fios. Did I notice a PQ difference?.... hard to say. Picture quality was never an issue. But as far as performance is concerned, without a doubt, there is an improvement. This cable supports my bluray player that goes directly to the TV. With the Verizon HDMI cable, during movie playback, on occasion, would have pixelation disruption/interference. Since I've installed the M1000, I haven't had one occurrence.

Does paying more for cables make a difference? Yes...., to your wallet. You do not have to pay an exorbitant amount of money to get decent cables. I paid $28.00 for the M1000. It was a great deal because it is the best HDMI cable Monster Cable offers. Regardless of performance, I would not pay the full retail price of $199.00 for it. I wouldn't even pay $50.00 for it! I also have an HDMI cable from Key Digital. High quality for sure, and I would have used it, but the it was too short in length. IMO, other than the length, the M1000 offers no advantage over the 6ft. Key Digital Python and it was $69.99 brand new.

I do believe there is a difference in materials used for the various hdmi cables available. I own an inexpensive Monoprice.com 12 ft. HDMI cable.
Is the Monster Cable M1000 HDMI cable made with better materials? IMO, absolutely. Does that mean that the M1000 will outperform the Monoprice.com HDMI cable? Conventional thinking suggest that it would. But I've had nothing but success using the Monoprice product. So it's subjective at best. Had I opted to purchase the 8 ft HDMI from Monoprice, it would have been about the same price or a little less, so why not choose the M1000? IMO, the better materials was worth the 3 extra dollars.

Regards.

Regards.

ldgibson76

post #287 of 558 Old 06-17-2009, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

You were so into the explanation you felt the need to regard us twice lol.

Anyway I do agree with you the differences in picture performance and whatnot are minimal at best but with all things being equal why not get the better built product? That's why I have so much of their product in my system (past and present). It's not like I expect to notice a difference but with the deals I get on them from friends still in the industry (not retail mind you but whole sale vendors) if it means I pay 3 or 4 bucks more for the Monster cable versus brand X cable then I'll go for the Monster every time. Same with any brand of note. Heck I got my HTPS7000 for 150 bucks at a store closing, why wouldn't you take that deal lol?

post #288 of 558 Old 06-17-2009, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

....but with the deals I get on them from friends still in the industry (not retail mind you but whole sale vendors) if it means I pay 3 or 4 bucks more for the Monster cable versus brand X cable then I'll go for the Monster every time. Same with any brand of note. Heck I got my HTPS7000 for 150 bucks at a store closing, why wouldn't you take that deal lol?

pcweb, can you also hook us up?

post #289 of 558 Old 06-17-2009, 10:39 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:

Hello Fellow Posters!

Yeah, I'm back at it again. Trying to eek out a little more from an already maxed out system.

Some of the mods I've made are very subtle but I do believe it has made a difference, both aesthetically and in function.

First, I installed a new 8ft HDMI cable I found on Amazon for $27.85. Why do I mention the price? That's because it's a Monster Cable M-Series M1000 HDMI cable that usually retails at the obscene price of $199.99-230.00! And it was brand new in the package! This cable is now used with my bluray player routed directly to the flat panel.

Out from the Samsung BD-P1200......yes, I'm still hanging in there with the 1200. It has been a fine performer for me.

Direct to the Samsung HP-S5053.

Next, I repositioned the Belkin PureAV24502 3 In 1 HDMI switcher. It now sits on top of the Marantz MM9000 amp.

The switcher now supports the Verizon Fios HD/DVR, the Denon DVD2910 and the XBox 360. BTW, I consider the Belkin switcher the unsung hero of my setup. It has worked flawlessly for nearly 3 years. Not bad for $69.99!

I did this to accommodate the XBox 360 Pro newly installed Key Digital Python HDMI cable. Originally, I used the standard Component cable w/optical-L&R analog adapter. I recently acquired a separate digital/analog audio adapter which allows me to use the HDMI cable for video. The picture quality from the XBox has obviously improved.

I tried to clean up this area. I repositioned wall plate and the splitter for the coax cable connection. (I will paint the area to the left [holes left by the old location of the plate] this weekend]) I then added molding to hide the coax and power cord going up the wall. Molding was also added to conceal the sub cable and the surround left speaker cable.

Before:

After:

Two new additions to the room. Statues! I have been in search of musician type statues for some time and the wife found them at a flea market in the area! Who knew! Anyway, I thought they would look nice on top of the audio racks adding a little character to the room.

Another full frontal:

And that's my designer mutt (Morkie) "Hailee" striking a pose!

Thanks for viewing.

Regards.

Its looking good ldgibson76.

Frank

post #290 of 558 Old 06-19-2009, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi ld,

I guess the surgery's been postponed indefinitely eh?

post #291 of 558 Old 06-19-2009, 08:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Wow, this is definitely of the "I want to see every bit of my gear" school of home theater. It seems a lot of AVS members (and audiophiles) go for similar set ups. Personally I lean the other direction: as clean and clutter-free (no visible components) as possible, with the focus on just the screen. When a display is surrounded by all the lights of various components, and reflections of stands, I tend to find it distracting.

That said, it looks like some very nice components in there!

(I don't mean any of this as a criticism as I don't see anything "wrong" with these component-heavy set ups. I have to admit I enjoy seeing my tube amps when I'm listening to music. I'm just expressing a differing reaction, from a differing personal perspective in regards to home theater aesthetics).

Rich H

post #292 of 558 Old 06-19-2009, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Wow, this is definitely of the "I want to see every bit of my gear" school of home theater. It seems a lot of AVS members (and audiophiles) go for similar set ups. Personally I lean the other direction: as clean and clutter-free (no visible components) as possible, with the focus on just the screen. When a display is surrounded by all the lights of various components, and reflections of stands, I tend to find it distracting.

That said, it looks like some very nice components in there!

(I don't mean any of this as a criticism as I don't see anything "wrong" with these component-heavy set ups. I have to admit I enjoy seeing my tube amps when I'm listening to music. I'm just expressing a differing reaction, from a differing personal perspective in regards to home theater aesthetics).

We all have our preferences. I do have an appreciation for those who lean towards the "no visible components" school of thought. I can also appreciate your perspective. But, hiding my components in a closet (for example) is not my idea of enjoying my equipment. IMO, along with performance, there is an aesthetic appeal. Personally, I like my components front and center. So at a glance, I can monitor and know what's going on at all times, for example,... chapter, volume, format, track, voltage in and out, etc,... And although you may be distracted by the lights from the displays, I'm not. Not to mention, during movie watching, most of the displays aren't illuminated. The AVR has a variable display function.

Thanks for your input.

Regards.

ldgibson76

post #293 of 558 Old 06-19-2009, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi ld,

I guess the surgery's been postponed indefinitely eh?

Hello Croseiv.

Now I have family up from Florida for the next week and a half!
Not that I mind them being here, because I don't, but there's no way I can conduct the procedure! They want to watch movies or play Xbox constantly!

So the procedure has been postponed until after July 5th. Sorry about that.

Regards.

ldgibson76

post #294 of 558 Old 06-19-2009, 10:08 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

We all have our preferences. I do have an appreciation for those who lean towards the "no visible components" school of thought. I can also appreciate your perspective. But, hiding my components in a closet (for example) is not my idea of enjoying my equipment. IMO, along with performance, there is an aesthetic appeal. Personally, I like my components front and center. So at a glance, I can monitor and know what's going on at all times, for example,... chapter, volume, format, track, voltage in and out, etc,... And although you may be distracted by the lights from the displays, I'm not. Not to mention, during movie watching, most of the displays aren't illuminated. The AVR has a variable display function.

Thanks for your input.

Regards.

Like you I bought the equipment I don't want to hide them. The light are certainly no distraction especially watching a movie.

Frank

post #295 of 558 Old 06-19-2009, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Like you I bought the equipment I don't want to hide them. The light are certainly no distraction especially watching a movie.

Hello Franin!

How are you Mate!?! How's the home projects coming along?!

ldgibson76

post #296 of 558 Old 06-19-2009, 10:28 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

Hello Franin!

How are you Mate!?! How's the home projects coming along?!

Good mate how are you?

I had to make a decision wether to get a new cabinet or go anamorphic, I decided anamorphic an changed the screen to 2:37:1 screen 117" just about finished. I tidied the cabinet up so it looks quite neat.

Frank

post #297 of 558 Old 06-22-2009, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxFreak View Post

Here's a 3 part series from Gizmodo on "The Truth About Monster Cable part 1"
Part 2
Part 3

Monster Cable Lowering Prices During Recession, Uh...Thanks?

Long HDMI Cable Bench Tests - Monster Cable Shootout

If you must have Monster cable, they sell at less than $30 on Amazon (used but like new) shipped. However, you can snipe their super duper top of the line 8ft M1000 model on eBay new for just a little over $20.

I probably wouldn't pay more $10 for a decent cable but if you must have the top of the line then Monster it is.
post #298 of 558 Old 06-23-2009, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

ld I have to give you props, you take some very nice photos of your equipment and cables. Quite good detail.

post #299 of 558 Old 06-24-2009, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire415 View Post

Here's a 3 part series from Gizmodo on "The Truth About Monster Cable part 1"
Part 2
Part 3

Monster Cable Lowering Prices During Recession, Uh...Thanks?

Long HDMI Cable Bench Tests - Monster Cable Shootout

If you must have Monster cable, they sell at less than $30 on Amazon (used but like new) shipped. However, you can snipe their super duper top of the line 8ft M1000 model on eBay new for just a little over $20.

I probably wouldn't pay more $10 for a decent cable but if you must have the top of the line then Monster it is.

Hello esquire415.

Thank you for the links to Noel Lee's justification for the BS!

No doubt, Monster Cable is the consummate "Evil Empire" of the audio video world! And although my system is full of Monster Cable product, I have never, ever paid anywhere close to suggested retail for it. At the same time, with all things being equal, removing the deceptive marketing practices and overpricing/price-gouging tactics, would Monster Cable products be purchased by the "educated" A/V consumer market? Of course it would! Call what you like, but for the most part, they do make a decent product.

Regards.

ldgibson76

post #300 of 558 Old 06-24-2009, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Good mate how are you?

I had to make a decision wether to get a new cabinet or go anamorphic, I decided anamorphic an changed the screen to 2:37:1 screen 117" just about finished. I tidied the cabinet up so it looks quite neat.

Hello Franin.

So when are we going to see photos of the new screen?!
I forget, do you have a cinema scope lenses to accommodate the anamorphic screen?!

Regards.

ldgibson76

Reply What's Your System Configuration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page