Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 558 Old 10-04-2009, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi ldgibson76,

So how do you like the Pioneer blu-ray player? Is it performing well for you? Are you able to take advantage of the newer hi res audio tracks? With my Sony BDP-S550, I had been running the multicahnnel outs to experience the True HD/DTS-MA tracks. But a real eye opener occured when watching The Dark Knight some time back. I discovered that the DD5.1 and True HD tracks sounded essentially identical to each other. This experience alone caused me to switch back to running toslink and skipping the multi ch out path. This gives me much better bass management which is more important to me. I'll eventually get an AVR that can do the hi-res decoding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 558 Old 10-04-2009, 07:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldgibson76 View Post

But, Im livin'.

Regards

As long as your enjoying your life thats the main thing.

Frank

post #363 of 558 Old 10-12-2009, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by croseiv View Post

Hi ldgibson76,

So how do you like the Pioneer blu-ray player? Is it performing well for you? Are you able to take advantage of the newer hi res audio tracks? With my Sony BDP-S550, I had been running the multicahnnel outs to experience the True HD/DTS-MA tracks. But a real eye opener occured when watching The Dark Knight some time back. I discovered that the DD5.1 and True HD tracks sounded essentially identical to each other. This experience alone caused me to switch back to running toslink and skipping the multi ch out path. This gives me much better bass management which is more important to me. I'll eventually get an AVR that can do the hi-res decoding.

Hello Croseiv, my AV Brutha from another mutha!

I do need to improve my response time to your inquiries. My apologies. Life is happening to the 10th power in my neck of the woods.

Anyway, so far, I'm more than satisfied with the performance of the BDP-51FD. I did upload the latest software several weeks back and it has played flawlessly for me. No complaints at all. When it comes to the HD audio capability, I have incorporated the 6.1 analogue connection. That was a true PITA. It's hard to tell the difference between Standard Dolby digital and DTHD. Now don't get me wrong, depending on the movie, there is a slight difference, but it's not a night and day difference. But when it comes to DTS-HD/MA soundtracks, there is a difference. Especially in the surround and back channels. I still have the coaxial digital cable connected. The bass management has been a challenge, but I'm learning more each day about the intricacies of bass management adjustment. Regardless, it sounds great. "Watchmen" was out of control! Gladiator and Braveheart along with XMen Origins: Wolverine was very impressive. The load times of course aren't the fastest, but that doesn't bother me at all.

Regards.

"Chance favors only the prepared mind. "Louis Pasteur"

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #364 of 558 Old 10-13-2009, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hello Croseiv, my AV Brutha from another mutha!

I do need to improve my response time to your inquiries. My apologies. Life is happening to the 10th power in my neck of the woods.

Anyway, so far, I'm more than satisfied with the performance of the BDP-51FD. I did upload the latest software several weeks back and it has played flawlessly for me. No complaints at all. When it comes to the HD audio capability, I have incorporated the 6.1 analogue connection. That was a true PITA. It's hard to tell the difference between Standard Dolby digital and DTHD. Now don't get me wrong, depending on the movie, there is a slight difference, but it's not a night and day difference. But when it comes to DTS-HD/MA soundtracks, there is a difference. Especially in the surround and back channels. I still have the coaxial digital cable connected. The bass management has been a challenge, but I'm learning more each day about the intricacies of bass management adjustment. Regardless, it sounds great. "Watchmen" was out of control! Gladiator and Braveheart along with XMen Origins: Wolverine was very impressive. The load times of course aren't the fastest, but that doesn't bother me at all.

Regards.

I'm glad you are enjoying the new player there! It's interesting, but to me it seemed that DTS vs DTS-MA were nearly indistinguishable with the most noticable difference being between DD 5.1 and true Dolby True HD (although it was a rather subtle difference). I think it seemed that the bass was a little tighter and maybe a little more ambience accuracy was noted with the lossless tracks. But very subtle was the difference, I think.

I have really enjoyed watching Monsters vs Aliens though since it was released, Very good PQ/SQ with some decent LFE for sure. I'm eagerly awaiting the new releases later this month and next as well . Well, I'm off to watch TDK as I have not seen it since last Spring. Now that it's indoor season, I'll be blowing the dust off of my favorites like Star Wars and Lord Of THe Rings (EE) just to name a few.
post #365 of 558 Old 10-15-2009, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm glad you are enjoying the new player there! It's interesting, but to me it seemed that DTS vs DTS-MA were nearly indistinguishable with the most noticable difference being between DD 5.1 and true Dolby True HD (although it was a rather subtle difference). I think it seemed that the bass was a little tighter and maybe a little more ambience accuracy was noted with the lossless tracks. But very subtle was the difference, I think.

I have really enjoyed watching Monsters vs Aliens though since it was released, Very good PQ/SQ with some decent LFE for sure. I'm eagerly awaiting the new releases later this month and next as well . Well, I'm off to watch TDK as I have not seen it since last Spring. Now that it's indoor season, I'll be blowing the dust off of my favorites like Star Wars and Lord Of THe Rings (EE) just to name a few.

I will pick up M vs. A next week when Transformers: ROF is available on the 20th.
Now my experience with DTS core and DTS-HD/MA, I will use Gladiator BD as my example. Using coaxial digital audio, the quality was equal to the std Version w/DTS-ES. But when I activated the 5.1 audio DTS Master, the information coming out of my surrounds was more pronounced! As a matter of fact, it could be considered a dramatic difference. More clarity and information, especialy during the "The Battle of Carthage". Very enveloping.
But that's only one example. We should take into account that we do have different systems, so that may have some influence in the difference, who knows?!

Enjoy TDK and LOR's.

Regards.

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #366 of 558 Old 10-15-2009, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I will pick up M vs. A next week when Transformers: ROF is available on the 20th.
Now my experience with DTS core and DTS-HD/MA, I will use Gladiator BD as my example. Using coaxial digital audio, the quality was equal to the std Version w/DTS-ES. But when I activated the 5.1 audio DTS Master, the information coming out of my surrounds was more pronounced! As a matter of fact, it could be considered a dramatic difference. More clarity and information, especialy during the "The Battle of Carthage". Very enveloping.
But that's only one example. We should take into account that we do have different systems, so that may have some influence in the difference, who knows?!

Enjoy TDK and LOR's.

Regards.

Yeah, we do have different set ups for sure! I did note some pretty substantial differences in two movies (True HD vs DD 5.1)-TDK and Iron Man. In both of those, the True HD experience was better, yes in part due to better surround dynamics, but also more over all impact/sizzle. For example, in TDK, that opening "thwump" that the thieves make when they blow out the bank window seems tighter, and (and explosions in general throughout the film) it has more impact, also when the computer guns fire as Bruce Wayne is doing his ballistics testing has more impact (True HD). Iron Man has many scenes that have more impact, but I noticed one area where I really like the DD track better, and that is when Iron Man first stomps out of the cave. In DD 5.1 the bass is hotter than on the True HD track (As I sense in my set up).
post #367 of 558 Old 11-23-2009, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi ldgibson76!

Was wondering if you have any new AV toys coming in for Christmas? Did you ever view Monsters vs Aliens?
post #368 of 558 Old 11-25-2009, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hello Croseiv.

It's so good to hear from you again. I hope all is well with you and the family. I apologize for being away for so long, life is happening and taking up a lot of my spare time.

Anyway, back to the Christmas toys. I'm not sure if I told you before, but I was days away from purchasing the Samsung 63" 590 plasma, when I was broadsided by a $3500.00 tuition shortage, compliments of my daughter not turning in a grant application in a timely fashion! So the 63" display went "poof!" Obviously, the upgraditis didn't subside! Next up.....Replacing the Marantz SR9300 and quite possibly the MM9000 amp. "With what?" you ask. Still debating on whether or not to go with a new AVR or pre/pro MC setup.
I am considering several possibilities. Time will tell!

Regards

ldgibson76
"Chance favors only the prepared mind." Louis Pasteur

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #369 of 558 Old 12-04-2009, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
ld,

I finally got a few spare moments and thought I would check out what's new in my favorite section of this forum...

How have you been? I hear rumors you might become the proud owner of a Pio SC-7, is that right?? Gotta tell you, I saw that thing at the local store and it looks hot! The fact that it supports .flac is a plus, also!

Cheers!
post #370 of 558 Old 12-06-2009, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post

ld,

I finally got a few spare moments and thought I would check out what's new in my favorite section of this forum...

How have you been? I hear rumors you might become the proud owner of a Pio SC-7, is that right?? Gotta tell you, I saw that thing at the local store and it looks hot! The fact that it supports .flac is a plus, also!

Cheers!

Hello My Friend from the Left Coast!

Happy Holidays to you and your family. I hope you are in good spirits and things are going well for you.

I'm hanging in there and the family's doing fine. Thanks for asking.
I was on the hunt for the Pioneer Elite SC-07, but now, I'm really considering the SC-27. My other option is a pre-owned hi-end pre pro and Multi-channel amp. I'm still debating trying to make a decision. Below is the link to a post I submitted that hasn't received a single response yet. I created the thread back on Nov 29th.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1201182

I must warn you though, if you decide to open the link, the post is a lengthy one. So if you can spare the time, tell me what you think?

Regards,

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #371 of 558 Old 12-06-2009, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi ld,

Glad to hear you're doing well.

I'm really busy as major changes are at the horizon, some good some not so good. But life goes on and no matter what we always rebound, often times stronger than before.

Just posted on your avr thread... Nice breakdown of pros and cons and I did enjoy reading it!!

I know you got a little heat for wanting to bypass Mrs. on some of these av purchases and I'd like to stand with you and show my support by sharing a little story.

I had really been wanting that Pass Labs amp for the longest time, but couldn't get it through the approval dept. (read significant other) as it's a pretty pricey piece of gear.

So during a huge remodel we did, I went ahead a bought one (keep in mind: 120 lbs., box is huge!). It's in car outside. Driveway is about 100 ft from the front door, with about 10 total steps. 2 a.m. I wake up, go to the car, pull that thing out CAREFULLY so I don't ruin it while breaking my back in the process. Got a small rug and dragged it into the house on the rug so I don't make much noise. Once into the living room I put it underneath many cardboard boxes we had while the painters were getting ready to paint.

It sat there for at least 2 months during which time I occasionally mentioned I was going to get that amp soon.

Remodel was finished, we came to unpacking the bottom box. Man, you should have seen her face:

"What is this Danny?"

"Errrr, amplifier??!?"

I couldn't help it and started laughing really hard, while she got mad for a few seconds, then she started to laugh. And so I got me a nice amp, and the cool thing is she actually enjoys listening to the system once in a while. She never said a word after that, and now I can buy stuff and I only need to tell her that the system will sound much better...

Had I followed the rules, I would be amp-less right now. It also helps that she can't keep a grudge for a long time...

So there you have it...

Happy Holidays!!
post #372 of 558 Old 12-06-2009, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 262
I have posted in your other thread ld. Just a thought on my part. Go for the Rotel amp and find a suitable preamp, even Rotel if you can get what you want for the price. I love the brand and have made that my next upgrade next year.
post #373 of 558 Old 12-07-2009, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi ld,

I'm really busy as major changes are at the horizon, some good some not so good. But life goes on and no matter what we always rebound, often times stronger than before.

Just posted on your avr thread... Nice breakdown of pros and cons and I did enjoy reading it!!

I know you got a little heat for wanting to bypass Mrs. on some of these av purchases and I'd like to stand with you and show my support by sharing a little story.

I had really been wanting that Pass Labs amp for the longest time, but couldn't get it through the approval dept. (read significant other) as it's a pretty pricey piece of gear.

So during a huge remodel we did, I went ahead a bought one (keep in mind: 120 lbs., box is huge!). It's in car outside. Driveway is about 100 ft from the front door, with about 10 total steps. 2 a.m. I wake up, go to the car, pull that thing out CAREFULLY so I don't ruin it while breaking my back in the process. Got a small rug and dragged it into the house on the rug so I don't make much noise. Once into the living room I put it underneath many cardboard boxes we had while the painters were getting ready to paint.

It sat there for at least 2 months during which time I occasionally mentioned I was going to get that amp soon.

Remodel was finished, we came to unpacking the bottom box. Man, you should have seen her face:

"What is this Danny?"

"Errrr, amplifier??!?"

I couldn't help it and started laughing really hard, while she got mad for a few seconds, then she started to laugh. And so I got me a nice amp, and the cool thing is she actually enjoys listening to the system once in a while. She never said a word after that, and now I can buy stuff and I only need to tell her that the system will sound much better...

Had I followed the rules, I would be amp-less right now. It also helps that she can't keep a grudge for a long time...

So there you have it...

Happy Holidays!!

Hello Dan!

Great story about the clandestine acquisition of the Pass Labs amp! Especially the part about dragging that behemoth thru the house at 2am in the morning! And using the camoflage (cardboard boxes) to hide it for two months!?! Genius!
That had to be torture hoping she wouldn't become inquisitive about the cardboard! (funny)

Update! Dude, she's brutal. All of a sudden, she's been hanging out with me in the cave. Normally, her presence in the cave would consist of watching "a" movie on the weekend (maybe). But as of late, she's been almost a fixture. And it's like she's surveying the room and it's contents, with particular attention being paid to the rack area! And I'm not being paranoid! She's asking me questions like, "What does the silver box on the left on the 3rd shelf do?" Or, "What's the difference between the black dvd player and the silver one?" ! It's as if she's hovering between DEFCON 2 and 3! Prepping herself to be able to detect an unauthorized purchase! Understand, she's never shown interest in a single electronic device other than her cell phone or her laptop! Weird huh?! Then again, she maybe trying to decide what get me for Christmas!!! So I should probably get a grip!

And because Croseiv just picked up the SC-27, and what a nice piece that is, the 07 is no longer in the running. If I go with the AVR only, it will be the the SC-27.

Regards,

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #374 of 558 Old 12-07-2009, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

I have posted in your other thread ld. Just a thought on my part. Go for the Rotel amp and find a suitable preamp, even Rotel if you can get what you want for the price. I love the brand and have made that my next upgrade next year.

Hello PC!

Happy Holidays to you and the Family! I hope everything is going well for you and yours.

Thanks for the input. I'm really feeling the Rotel RMB-1095 amp! It's so BIG!

Regards,

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #375 of 558 Old 12-07-2009, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I'm glad your back where you belong here on AVS. That Pioneer Elite might just be the ticket for your system. It would be interesting how the Klipsch speakers would sound using the SC-27 as the processor. I have not had the opportunity to pair Klipsch speakers with a Pioneer setup.

Glad things are running smoother for you and your family. Maybe your wife is just enjoying your system more and wants to learn about it. She probably is showing off the system, when your not home, and wants to be able to describe the system better.

And to ddgtr

That, my friend, is one funny story.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #376 of 558 Old 12-07-2009, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi ld,

"What is this Danny?"

"Errrr, amplifier??!?"

So there you have it...

Happy Holidays!!

Quote:

Hello Dan!

Great story about the clandestine acquisition of the Pass Labs amp! Especially the part about dragging that behemoth thru the house at 2am in the morning! And using the camoflage (cardboard boxes) to hide it for two months!?! Genius!
That had to be torture hoping she wouldn't become inquisitive about the cardboard! (funny)

Update! Dude, she's brutal. All of a sudden, she's been hanging out with me in the cave. Normally, her presence in the cave would consist of watching "a" movie on the weekend (maybe). But as of late, she's been almost a fixture. And it's like she's surveying the room and it's contents, with particular attention being paid to the rack area! And I'm not being paranoid! She's asking me questions like, "What does the silver box on the left on the 3rd shelf do?" Or, "What's the difference between the black dvd player and the silver one?" ! It's as if she's hovering between DEFCON 2 and 3! Prepping herself to be able to detect an unauthorized purchase! Understand, she's never shown interest in a single electronic device other than her cell phone or her laptop! Weird huh?! Then again, she maybe trying to decide what get me for Christmas!!! So I should probably get a grip!

And because Croseiv just picked up the SC-27, and what a nice piece that is, the 07 is no longer in the running. If I go with the AVR only, it will be the the SC-27.

Regards,

LOL! These are two very funny posts.

ldgibson76, I think your wife suspects you are wanting the SC-27 there, and she's trying to see where you put it. It's all good. If you do get it (or the SC-07), you're gonna love it. Mine just may have been one the best upgrades I've made for my system (not to wet your appetite any more there ).
post #377 of 558 Old 12-07-2009, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

I'm glad your back where you belong here on AVS. That Pioneer Elite might just be the ticket for your system. It would be interesting how the Klipsch speakers would sound using the SC-27 as the processor. I have not had the opportunity to pair Klipsch speakers with a Pioneer setup.

Glad things are running smoother for you and your family. Maybe your wife is just enjoying your system more and wants to learn about it. She probably is showing off the system, when your not home, and wants to be able to describe the system better.

And to ddgtr

That, my friend, is one funny story.

Hello HTGeek! Happy Holidays to you and the family.
I hope this post finds you in good spirits.
It's good to be back at the Forum! Sometimes, you have to step away to appreciate where you''ve been and what you have!
And thank you for the kind words regarding the family. We're hangin' in there. We're blessed to have one another.

The Pioneer is a quandry for me because of the ICE amps. Understand, I have no reservations about the quality. Rotel now uses the ICE amps in some of there products. As you mentioned, the Klipsch Reference speakers, can be fickled performers, depending on the processor and/or amp, not always playing well with others. (not to mention other variances such as positioning, acoustic treatments and owner's hearing sensitivity).
I've read some threads of owners who have the Pioneer/Klipsch combo and they have raved about the performance and sound quality. Very subjective at best. I remember when I replaced my Yamaha RX-V3000 with the Marantz SR9300, there was definitely a difference in sound quality. The Marantz surely tamed the higher frequencies, allowing tracks which previously, I had a hard time listening to with the Yammy, became very tolerable and enjoyable. This was truly evident with Jazz recordings. And when I added the Marantz MM9000 Multi-channel amp, that really sweetened the sound.
I do have the ability to listen to the Pioneer/Klipsch combo at the local 6th Ave. electronics store, but, the room where the audition would take place is nothing like my room. So it's a crap shoot!

Can you imagine Dan getting caught dragging that beast thru the house! His wife would have issued him a serious beat down!

Regards.

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #378 of 558 Old 12-07-2009, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

LOL! These are two very funny posts.

ldgibson76, I think your wife suspects you are wanting the SC-27 there, and she's trying to see where you put it. It's all good. If you do get it (or the SC-07), you're gonna love it. Mine just may have been one the best upgrades I've made for my system (not to wet your appetite any more there ).

Hello Croseiv!

In the infamous words of the "Penguin of Mexican origin" in the movie, "Happy Feet",
Let me tell something to you! I'm now trying to fomulate a plan of how to get the Mrs. to soften her position on the holiday stimulus restrictions she's levied on me! An additional $599.99 I must get approved in order to get the SC-27! Thanks alot Croseiv! The popularity of the addition funds being allotted for an AVR is similiar to that of the Republicans when it comes to universal healthcare! Ain't happenin'!

I'm glad you are enjoying the SC-27! At least one of us are!

Regards,

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #379 of 558 Old 12-08-2009, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Can you imagine Dan getting caught dragging that beast thru the house! His wife would have issued him a serious beat down!

Regards.

You know I would have taken that ten times over the alternative (taking it back)!!!

By the way, those smilies you posted are hilarious!!

The reason for the 2 a.m. incursion behind enemy lines was the fact that the enemy is a heavy sleeper. Moreover, if suspecting outside noises are heard on the property at night, yours truly is in charge with investigating, fighting and repelling through any means necessary a possible intruder. In such situations, I might add that no help is to be expected from the resident chow chow which is all mouth but no action!

In a nutshell, she would have not gotten up even if she had heard it!! Which worked to my advantage!

On a different note, it is so funny how sometimes they know something is up, like in your case the recent surveying of the triple rack!! I had a good laugh reading that!
post #380 of 558 Old 12-08-2009, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You know I would have taken that ten times over the alternative (taking it back)!!!

By the way, those smilies you posted are hilarious!!

The reason for the 2 a.m. incursion behind enemy lines was the fact that the enemy is a heavy sleeper. Moreover, if suspecting outside noises are heard on the property at night, yours truly is in charge with investigating, fighting and repelling through any means necessary a possible intruder. In such situations, I might add that no help is to be expected from the resident chow chow which is all mouth but no action!

In a nutshell, she would have not gotten up even if she had heard it!! Which worked to my advantage!

On a different note, it is so funny how sometimes they know something is up, like in your case the recent surveying of the triple rack!! I had a good laugh reading that!

Your security measures mirrors mine. It's evident that we shop at the same intruder deterrent retailer...., "YOYO Security!" "You're On Your Own"! Your package came with a Chow Chow! Mine came with a Morkie! She possesses the same deterrent training your Chow Chow showcases! All bark, but at a higher octave! Followed by licking you to death!

Yeah, the Mrs. is funny. I keep getting the "I know you're up to sumthin!" look!
The thing is, she's already knowledgeable of my desire to make an "improvement" on the system....., within the agreed budget established for this endeavor. Which means this upgrade is grossly underfunded!

Well, I do have some good news on my progress. I've decided to get the Rotel amp. Now I must decide on the pre pro. There's a lot of good stuff out there to choose from. The Onkyo SC-885/6 looks really attractive. I'm trying to find one the 885 n the $5-700 range. Wishful thinking for sure, but I could get lucky. The Rotel RSP-1098 is what I really like, but it's legacy status requires either a retrofit for HDMI inputs which by the way only accommodates video or buying the Zektor MAS7.1 which would require more cables because of the 7.1 audio inputs, which in turn requires a lot of bass management adjustments. That's a lot of work and I'm getting to old for that!

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #381 of 558 Old 12-08-2009, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Hey LD,

I have a very similar intruder deterrent system to you and ddgtr except mine's a minature schnauzer. But from the sound of it mine's even less effective--he doesn't even bark!

I don't believe I have ever posted in your WYSC thread. I am very impressed by your commitment to wire management. There is a reason why there are no shots of behind my TV stand.

I wish you the best of luck with getting the upgrades you want within the budget that will keep things comfortable on the homefront.
post #382 of 558 Old 12-08-2009, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelinas View Post

Hey LD,

I don't believe I have ever posted in your WYSC thread. I am very impressed by your commitment to wire management. There is a reason why there are no shots of behind my TV stand.

I wish you the best of luck with getting the upgrades you want within the budget that will keep things comfortable on the homefront.

Hello Gelinas.
Quote:

I have a very similar intruder deterrent system to you and ddgtr except mine's a minature schnauzer. But from the sound of it mine's even less effective--he doesn't even bark!

Yeah, I know what you mean! Our countermeasures are left wanting!

Thank you for the acknowledgement regarding the cable management. But I can't take all the credit. If it wasn't for the kind gestures of encouragement and suggestions from some of the other members, it would still be a rat's nest back there. I'm dreading the upcoming upgrade because no matter which component(s) I select, it will require a do-over! Time consuming is an understatement.

I too hope I can maintain the peace in the home once I decide on the upgrade. She just does not get it! She feels that everything works and functions properly and if that's the case, which it is, then it doesn't need to be replaced. In other words, the only justification for replacing anything is when the entity is no longer functional (INOP). That's it! My rebuttal is newer technology trumps old and still working technology. I said to her, "I don't complain when you want to replace a pair of shoes because they have a little wear on them! Why did I go there! You see, I try to do the right thing and keep her in the loop, and this is what I get, oversight!
So I still have my work cut out for me. As it stands, the bill has passed in the House (me), but has yet to make it thru the Senate (her)! depending on the budget and her mood, this bill could be DOA!

Regards.

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #383 of 558 Old 12-08-2009, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

Your security measures mirrors mine. It's evident that we shop at the same intruder deterrent retailer...., "YOYO Security!" "You're On Your Own"! Your package came with a Chow Chow! Mine came with a Morkie! She possesses the same deterrent training your Chow Chow showcases! All bark, but at a higher octave! Followed by licking you to death!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3036/...c6908560_b.jpg

Great looking dog! My fiance and I just got our first pup together and she's a Morkie too! I had no idea what a Morkie was until last month. Keeping her away from the AV equipment for now since all she wants to do is gnaw at everything. LOL Keep up the great work on your ever evolving setup.

post #384 of 558 Old 12-08-2009, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hello Gelinas.

Yeah, I know what you mean! Our countermeasures are left wanting!

Thank you for the acknowledgement regarding the cable management. But I can't take all the credit. If it wasn't for the kind gestures of encouragement and suggestions from some of the other members, it would still be a rat's nest back there. I'm dreading the upcoming upgrade because no matter which component(s) I select, it will require a do-over! Time consuming is an understatement.

I too hope I can maintain the peace in the home once I decide on the upgrade. She just does not get it! She feels that everything works and functions properly and if that's the case, which it is, then it doesn't need to be replaced. In other words, the only justification for replacing anything is when the entity is no longer functional (INOP). That's it! My rebuttal is newer technology trumps old and still working technology. I said to her, "I don't complain when you want to replace a pair of shoes because they have a little wear on them! Why did I go there! You see, I try to do the right thing and keep her in the loop, and this is what I get, oversight!
So I still have my work cut out for me. As it stands, the bill has passed in the House (me), but has yet to make it thru the Senate (her)! depending on the budget and her mood, this bill could be DOA!

Regards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourDoor View Post

Great looking dog! My fiance and I just got our first pup together and she's a Morkie too! I had no idea what a Morkie was until last month. Keeping her away from the AV equipment for now since all she wants to do is gnaw at everything. LOL Keep up the great work on your ever evolving setup.

Hello FourDoor!

You're killing me! (only kidding!) There's no way I can let the Mrs. or my daughters see the photo of your Morkie! The minute they laid their eyes on your puppy, we'd be back at the breeders picking out another one! BTW, your Morkie is adorable! Hailee, our Morkie, destroys virtually every gnaw resistant toy we get her! She's incredibly smart though. She knows that the system and the area behind it is off limits! One day, she was playing with one of the so-called gnaw-resistant toys and she accidently tossed it behind the right side of the system. She knew she couldn't go back to get it although she wanted to really bad! You had to be there!

Regards.

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #385 of 558 Old 12-08-2009, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Hey LD. Looks like I just stumbled onto another great thread. Awesome room!

I absolutely love your cable management. I'm so envious of you guys who have the patience and take the time to do it right. I just tell people not to go in back of my components, it's like the trash monster in the first Star Wars movie, it'll jump out and get ya!

After reading some of the recent posts here, seems like we need to formulate a plan that lets you covertly upgrade to the SC-27. Not too worry. We can do it, I know some kickin' HT ninjas.

Or (fingers crossed)...
Quote:

...Then again, she maybe trying to decide what get me for Christmas!!!

Me thinks this is the way to go, ho-ho-ho.

P.S. I love your Morkie the attack dog.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #386 of 558 Old 12-08-2009, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Hey LD. Looks like I just stumbled onto another great thread. Awesome room!

I absolutely love your cable management. I'm so envious of you guys who have the patience and take the time to do it right. I just tell people not to go in back of my components, it's like the trash monster in the first Star Wars movie, it'll jump out and get ya!

After reading some of the recent posts here, seems like we need to formulate a plan that lets you covertly upgrade to the SC-27. Not too worry. We can do it, I know some kickin' HT ninjas.

Or (fingers crossed)... Me thinks this is the way to go, ho-ho-ho.

P.S. I love your Morkie the attack dog.

Hello Waboman!

Thank you so much for the acknowledgement regarding the cable management. "the Star Wars Trash Monster" That's funny!
If I decide to go with an AVR, then the Pioneer Elite SC-27 is the choice. It is a beaut! But I'm really feeling the separates concept.

Yeah, I must try to accentuate the positive and hope that her new found interest in my components will cultivate into a surprise Christmas gift!

But my gut is telling me to summon the HT ninjas!

Regards,

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #387 of 558 Old 12-13-2009, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi LDG,

Have you made any progress in your equipment quest? Did you get a chance to audition the SC-27?
post #388 of 558 Old 12-14-2009, 12:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:

But my gut is telling me to summon the HT ninjas!

Regards,

Lol, LD.

Perhaps they're HT Christmas ninjas, dispatched by Mrs. LD to bring home a shiny new SD-27 Elite. Hey, it could happen...

Growing Older But Not Up
post #389 of 558 Old 12-15-2009, 05:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:

Yeah, the Mrs. is funny. I keep getting the "I know you're up to sumthin!" look!
The thing is, she's already knowledgeable of my desire to make an "improvement" on the system....., within the agreed budget established for this endeavor. Which means this upgrade is grossly underfunded!

Well, I do have some good news on my progress. I've decided to get the Rotel amp. Now I must decide on the pre pro. There's a lot of good stuff out there to choose from. The Onkyo SC-885/6 looks really attractive. I'm trying to find one the 885 n the $5-700 range. Wishful thinking for sure, but I could get lucky. The Rotel RSP-1098 is what I really like, but it's legacy status requires either a retrofit for HDMI inputs which by the way only accommodates video or buying the Zektor MAS7.1 which would require more cables because of the 7.1 audio inputs, which in turn requires a lot of bass management adjustments. That's a lot of work and I'm getting to old for that!

Rotel Amps are very nice ldgibson

Frank

post #390 of 558 Old 12-15-2009, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Reply What's Your System Configuration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page