Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 558 Old 12-29-2011, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Happy New Year!

The new console looks really nice, ld. But how much shelf space is there, and how easy is rear access?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 558 Old 12-31-2011, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Happy New Year!

The new console looks really nice, ld. But how much shelf space is there, and how easy is rear access?

Hello Prepress.

Thanks for acknowledgement. My endeavor to find a cost effective TV stand was a long and arduous one. I really wanted the Salamander Synergy Triple 237. But when I started this search for a lowboy stand, I hadn't come to the realization that I would have to sacrifice a few devices. At that time, that was something I wasn't willing to do. You know me, I love my devices! Because of my indecision I missed out on the closeouts at Best Buy.com. They were going for a crazy $599.00. (50% off). During the journey, my goal was to find a lowboy that would accommodate all the devices in my previous setup. I did come across a few, but the asking prices were way more than I was willing to spend.

So this search was sort of a maturation process. 1st, conceding to the fact that my system was the epitome of redundancy. Devices had to go.
Continuing my search with a different mind set, I then realize that the Salamander 237 or something like it would most likely be the solution, but I still wasn't willing to fork out $1200.00. So the mission was to find a similar solution. I finally landed on the Altra stand. It's virtually the same dimensions and accommodations of the 237 and as far a quality is concern, it's decent. Not to the standard of the previous Synergy products but very close for a 1/3 of the price. Why do I say previous Synergy products? Because if you ever look at the new Synergy lineup, Salamander has really cheapened the product. The materials that are used now are not of the previous quality.

To answer your question, the stand is 22 inches deep, 60 inches wide and 24 inches tall. The shelves are adjustable maxing at 8 inches of height between them and each area is 19" deep. So it's tight, but with some modifications and strategic fan integration, it works out pretty well. Also, in the rear, I have remove the two back outboard sliding doors/panels. That's mainly to help in the ventilation process and also make it easy to route the cables in a somewhat orderly fashion.

"Chance favors only the prepared mind. "Louis Pasteur"

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #543 of 558 Old 12-31-2011, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Hello LD and here's wishing you and your family have great luck in the coming year.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #544 of 558 Old 12-31-2011, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1364
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldgibson76 View Post

Hello Geoff4RFC.

Thank you for the kind words regarding my system and audio racks.
The racks are by Z-Line. They were purchased from the now defunct Circuit City. But they have been retired. My system has undergone a major transformation.

Nice! I'm kinda going in the opposite direction and for the reason you mentioned, ventilation (check my thread; First man cave ever).

I have a pretty decent console but ended up taking the doors off and all is well for now. I'm really wanting to get my gear in the wall but that is off in the distance. Trying to find something like your Z-Line for now.

Happy new year.

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat
post #545 of 558 Old 01-01-2012, 02:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldgibson76 View Post

Hello Prepress.

Thanks for acknowledgement. My endeavor to find a cost effective TV stand was a long and arduous one. I really wanted the Salamander Synergy Triple 237. But when I started this search for a lowboy stand, I hadn't come to the realization that I would have to sacrifice a few devices. At that time, that was something I wasn't willing to do. You know me, I love my devices! Because of my indecision I missed out on the closeouts at Best Buy.com. They were going for a crazy $599.00. (50% off). During the journey, my goal was to find a lowboy that would accommodate all the devices in my previous setup. I did come across a few, but the asking prices were way more than I was willing to spend.

So this search was sort of a maturation process. 1st, conceding to the fact that my system was the epitome of redundancy. Devices had to go.
Continuing my search with a different mind set, I then realize that the Salamander 237 or something like it would most likely be the solution, but I still wasn't willing to fork out $1200.00. So the mission was to find a similar solution. I finally landed on the Altra stand. It's virtually the same dimensions and accommodations of the 237 and as far a quality is concern, it's decent. Not to the standard of the previous Synergy products but very close for a 1/3 of the price. Why do I say previous Synergy products? Because if you ever look at the new Synergy lineup, Salamander has really cheapened the product. The materials that are used now are not of the previous quality.

To answer your question, the stand is 22 inches deep, 60 inches wide and 24 inches tall. The shelves are adjustable maxing at 8 inches of height between them and each area is 19" deep. So it's tight, but with some modifications and strategic fan integration, it works out pretty well. Also, in the rear, I have remove the two back outboard sliding doors/panels. That's mainly to help in the ventilation process and also make it easy to route the cables in a somewhat orderly fashion.

Unfortunately for me, 24" isn't tall enough. The 60" width would be near perfect, though. The Altra is reminiscent of the Hooker console I have now, but the back panels are removable with yours. Does Altra make anything taller?

You say the Synergy quality has gone downhill. That's not good. I was beginning to reconsider them even though the Triple 30 is wider than I'd like and would force me to move my speakers yet further apart. Billy Bags was much too expensive given my circumstances, but who knows, I may revisit even them. Meantime, there's still the custom furniture place I got my bookcases. I still need to go there and get an idea if something could be done there (surely for less than Billy Bags). The other consideration is that black tends to show dust, and it's a problem in older buildings like mine, so an oak finish, say, would help out.

But again, I like the looks of your stand.
post #546 of 558 Old 01-01-2012, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Unfortunately for me, 24" isn't tall enough. The 60" width would be near perfect, though. The Altra is reminiscent of the Hooker console I have now, but the back panels are removable with yours. Does Altra make anything taller?

You say the Synergy quality has gone downhill. That's not good. I was beginning to reconsider them even though the Triple 30 is wider than I'd like and would force me to move my speakers yet further apart. Billy Bags was much too expensive given my circumstances, but who knows, I may revisit even them. Meantime, there's still the custom furniture place I got my bookcases. I still need to go there and get an idea if something could be done there (surely for less than Billy Bags). The other consideration is that black tends to show dust, and it's a problem in older buildings like mine, so an oak finish, say, would help out.

But again, I like the looks of your stand.

Hello Prepress.

Here's the link to the Altra website. The model I have is also available in Oak.

60" TV Stand

You know, I thought the same thing, that the Altra stand would not be tall enough. Especially considering the tall profile heights of my devices. But with some ingenuity, it worked out pretty well.

Below is an image of the rear of the stand.

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #547 of 558 Old 01-01-2012, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

According to the website, the cabinet is actually 61" wide; I would have to move the outside racks a bit. The 18.75" shelf space is a problem as I have some 19"-wide equipment. I could get away with the 26" height (my Hooker stand is 28"). The TV is now at the perfect eye level, so I wouldn't want anything shorter than 26".

I'll go back to the site and look at the internal measurements more carefully (I went earlier today) and see about shelf heights also. Thanks.
post #548 of 558 Old 01-04-2012, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

According to the website, the cabinet is actually 61" wide; I would have to move the outside racks a bit. The 18.75" shelf space is a problem as I have some 19"-wide equipment. I could get away with the 26" height (my Hooker stand is 28"). The TV is now at the perfect eye level, so I wouldn't want anything shorter than 26".

I'll go back to the site and look at the internal measurements more carefully (I went earlier today) and see about shelf heights also. Thanks.

Yeah, I don't blame you. The measurements I gave were a guess-timate. Every inch matters when considering this type of rack.

I have to tell you that modifications were needed. I had to cut out a small section in the rear wall of the rack to allow access to the Anthem MCA 5's power cord outlet. It's 18 inches deep and it's back panel sat right up against the rear wall of the rack. Not only that, due to the height/profile and location of the speaker terminals on the amp, I had to employ a riser to elevate it, so the terminals would be accessible. (see previous post/photo). I even had to cut access holes in the center rear panel for cable management and access to the Rotel pre-pro.

So if you do opt for the Altra, as nice s it is, it does have some limitations. But with some ingenuity, you can make it work.

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #549 of 558 Old 08-22-2012, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey litlle bro. Thought it was time to bump your thread to thhe top of the boards again. You have a great system and I have always admire the way you make everything look so good. I wish I could have just have of the system you own.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #550 of 558 Old 08-22-2012, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

Hey litlle bro. Thought it was time to bump your thread to thhe top of the boards again. You have a great system and I have always admire the way you make everything look so good. I wish I could have just have of the system you own.

Hello Big Bro.

Thank you so much for your kind words. And Al, your system is every bit the equivalent of mind and then some. You have a 7.4 speaker array! Goodness Gracious Man! The low end must be epic! the Mrs. is a trooper! My woman a can barely handle my little RSW10!rolleyes.gif Thanks again for the acknowledgement and putting my thread back on the grid.wink.gif

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #551 of 558 Old 08-22-2012, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

You would think I could at least proof read my post before submitting. tongue.gif

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #552 of 558 Old 08-23-2012, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No worries my friend. I understood what you where conveying. wink.gif It's appreciated.

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #553 of 558 Old 08-23-2012, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldgibson76 View Post

My woman can barely handle my little RSW10!rolleyes.gif

It's ok, LDG. It's how you use it that counts.wink.gif

Growing Older But Not Up
post #554 of 558 Old 08-23-2012, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

tongue.gif Too funny.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #555 of 558 Old 08-23-2012, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldgibson76 View Post

My woman can barely handle my little RSW10!rolleyes.gif

In the venerable words of Dwayne of the 70's sitcom "What's Happening", "hey, HEY, Hey!" naughty.gif

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #556 of 558 Old 08-24-2012, 10:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 176
It's good to hear from you again Ld. Hope all is well?

Frank

post #557 of 558 Old 08-26-2012, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 262
I was just taking a look at your current pics over at blu-ray.com and I have to say it looks good. You've come a long way and it's nice to see the evolution. Too bad you got rid of the two towers approach but hey we all have to at some time lol. How are you liking the new tv? Any major differences from the old Sammy?
post #558 of 558 Old 01-22-2013, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

LD, I see you have a PS Audio DAC in the mix. How are you using it?
Reply What's Your System Configuration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page