My Audio/Video Experience - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 558 Old 12-14-2008, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Why does everyone spend so much money on a piece of wood wrapped with cloth or carpet with a couple of pieces of foam glued to the bottom, You could make one for a fifth of the price, I just folded an old large towel over a few times and put a thick and stiff piece of carpet from a dollar store on top, presto no buzz or unwanted vibrations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 558 Old 12-14-2008, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techlvr33 View Post

Why does everyone spend so much money on a piece of wood wrapped with cloth or carpet with a couple of pieces of foam glued to the bottom, You could make one for a fifth of the price, I just folded an old large towel over a few times and put a thick and stiff piece of carpet from a dollar store on top, presto no buzz or unwanted vibrations.

Thanks for the enlightment and the lesson on frugality. Your ingenuity is astounding!

Regards.

"Chance favors only the prepared mind. "Louis Pasteur"

ldgibson76

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 558 Old 12-14-2008, 03:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldgibson76 View Post

Thanks for the enlightment and the lesson on frugality. Your ingenuity is astounding!
Regards.

To say nothing about his sense of style!

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #34 of 558 Old 12-14-2008, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Doesn't have to be pretty it just has to work.
post #35 of 558 Old 12-14-2008, 04:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

Apparently.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

post #36 of 558 Old 12-14-2008, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Regards.

Hi ldgibson76,

I hear you! Are you eyeballing any new toys for Christmas? I've been giving some thought to maybe trying to build some room treatments. Still reading up on this though....

post #37 of 558 Old 12-15-2008, 03:06 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:

Well the room asthetics is also important, I mean if that was the case why don't we all just knock up a rack made of old chipboard and just throw our components in it.

Frank

post #38 of 558 Old 12-15-2008, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, if you live in a barn!

Regards!

ldgibson76

post #39 of 558 Old 12-15-2008, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Funny!

ldgibson76

post #40 of 558 Old 12-15-2008, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by croseiv View Post

Hi ldgibson76,

I hear you! Are you eyeballing any new toys for Christmas? I've been giving some thought to maybe trying to build some room treatments. Still reading up on this though....

Hello croseiv!

Good to hear from you again.
Yes indeed, I have my eyes on a few things. Like you, room treatments have been in consideration for some time now. In January, I will be installing 6 Auralex 24" x 48" panels to go with the LENRD Bass traps I've already installed.

I'm also looking at multi-channel amps, preferably a pre-owned Sunfire Cinema Grand 200.5/7 or a Rotel RMB-1095. It's not like the Marantz isn't up to the challenge, but I do believe that in conjunction with the room treatments, the multi-channel amp will help improve the sound quality.
I've been checking eBay and Audiogon.com for the last couple weeks watching the bidding. I really prefer the Sunfire because of it's size and because of my available rack space, I can relocate the power centers to the audio racks, remove the CD and DVD changers, which are no longer necessary and position the Cinema Grand right next to the Marantz AVR.
I'm still deciding whether to replace the 1st Gen. XBox with a PS3 or a 360!

And of course, how can I forget!?! The completion of the cable management endeavor/project! Man, is it a PITA!
I've had to replace 2 HDMI cables, 6 sets of analog interconnects and 4 digital cables so far with longer runs! Trying to achieve cable management harmony can get expensive

That's it for now.

Happy Holiday's to you and family!

Regards.

ldgibson76

post #41 of 558 Old 12-15-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:

Yeah, if you live in a barn!

Regards!

Just when I thought every one here was nice every starts getting all rude mean and nasty on me, I'm not rich snob like the rest of you it took me over two years of saving to get what I have, and everything had to be on sale to afford even that, I did the carpet and towel till I can make something better, also all of you constantly razz people about buying Monster cables and then go and buy a piece of plywood wrapped in carpet with two pieces of foam attached for $60-$70 dollars that probably cost them $5 to make. What a bunch of HYPOCRITES.
post #42 of 558 Old 12-15-2008, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just when I thought every one here was nice every starts getting all rude mean and nasty on me, I'm not rich snob like the rest of you it took me over two years of saving to get what I have, and everything had to be on sale to afford even that, I did the carpet and towel till I can make something better, also all of you constantly razz people about buying Monster cables and then go and buy a piece of plywood wrapped in carpet with two pieces of foam attached for $60-$70 dollars that probably cost them $5 to make. What a bunch of HYPOCRITES.

Hello techlvr33.

Ouch! I apologize! I wasn't trying to be mean, rude or hypocritical! But really, the Subdude can be had for a low as $25! And what you suggested as a solution instead of opting for the Subdude, regardless of income level or financial status, could easily be considered unacceptable.
And contrary to popular belief, most of the members here fall in the same category you've positioned yourself. Hard working, frugal AV lovers who want to have the best their money can buy or purchase what they deem appropriate for their situation and spend as little as they can doing so.

I don't think anyone was trying offend you per se`. But some of us take this hobby very seriously and using a towel and a piece of carpet for isolation isn't a viable option. Especially when one has invested hard earned money and time into getting the best performance in terms of aesthetic and practical application.
I can appreciate and understand your position. If I offended you, I apologize.
And by the way, I'm one of those so-called suckers who've purchased Monster Cables (at epic-like discounts, of course), and have often felt like a victim of the endless criticism levied by Monster detractors! But, I'm happy with the cables! I've used the same cables for years without a single issue.

You're alright with me techlvr33.

Regards.

ldgibson76

post #43 of 558 Old 12-15-2008, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post

Thanks for breaking it down... I know what you're saying about the speakers. I'm the same way too, you get used to them and then bam there comes this beautifully produced and recorded song and knocks you out, makes fall in love all over again with your speakers. Don't you wish all studios would put out properly recorded and produced material? Yeah, I know, dream on... Here is a thread that you may like (if you haven't seen it already)...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1030712

If you do decide to get new speakers - I know it's a tough choice, but is there anything in particular you're interested in?

Like you, I also believe in having multiple components that do a thing and do it well vs. having one mediocre do-it-all...

Thanks for the info on the subdude, I'm definitely going to get one. Like Franin said above, just when you think you've seen it all along comes something new...

Edit: to your question on my setup: Audyssey does not compensate for the timbre differences between the fronts and center. New center is in the foreseeable future...

Hello ddgtr!

I was introduced to some "Telarc" recordings recently and I was blown away by the quality of the recordings. I played the Dave Brubeck, Ahmad Jamal, Oscar Peterson & George Shearing, "Playing Our Songs" CD and I was amazed at the clarity coming from RF35's! I will start collecting Telarc recorded CD's from this point on.
I'm familiar with the thread. I believe my post is on page 6.
As far as replacing the Klipsch's, I've been really researching the B&W's 704's and 804S's. The Focal 826 V's are very appealing. Lastly, the Paradigm Studio 100 v.3 have also peaked my interest. It's hard to say right now. I think they are all very strong products.
Oh, and the Polk Audio RTi A9's are pretty nice also and worth considering also!
I will have to audition them all, but it's all about affordability and so the purchase won't happen until mid 2009.

The Subdude really worked for me. At the least, the low end response will be more refined with less resonance. That, I can almost guarantee.

Regards.

ldgibson76

post #44 of 558 Old 12-15-2008, 04:07 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

Sorry mate I wasn't being nasty, Im far from being a rich snob. I also have Monster speaker cable and what took you 2 years to get where you are took me 5 years of selling upgrading etc..

Quote:

Why does everyone spend so much money on a piece of wood wrapped with cloth or carpet with a couple of pieces of foam glued to the bottom

That comment alone was not exactly a nice way of getting your message across, to each there own when it comes to spending there hard earn cash.

Sorry ldgibson76.

Frank

post #45 of 558 Old 12-15-2008, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Hello techlvr33.

You're alright with me techlvr33.

Regards.

Me too man! But, we all have to start somwhere. Mine was a cheap 60 wpc Pioneer with a couple of kabuki special speakers. Audio is the one interest/hobby that has stayed with me through the years.

post #46 of 558 Old 12-15-2008, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Sorry mate I wasn't being nasty, Im far from being a rich snob. I also have Monster speaker cable and what took you 2 years to get where you are took me 5 years of selling upgrading etc..

That comment alone was not exactly a nice way of getting your message across, to each there own when it comes to spending there hard earn cash.

Sorry ldgibson76.

Hello Frank.

No apologies necessary. And you are so on point with your rebuttal to techlvr33. We all had to start somewhere. I've been playing in this game since the late 80's and have gone thru at least 7 different A/V ensembles.
Piece by piece mind you and all on sale or in close out status! So I understand how he feels. No worries though!

Quote:

all good this side of the time zone, everyone is getting ready for summer christmas holidays. It reached 38c today but it was nice inside the house with the refrigerated aircon. Wife still wanted to go shopping but I thought bugger that.

"Getting ready for summer christmas holidays." Summer Christmas Holidays! Summer and Christmas together! Where I come from, summer and Christmas doesn't go together. Well, let me correct that. We do have parts of the country that have summer like Christmas' but in the Northeast part of our country, Winter is the season!

As far as the holidays, we're just about ready! Thanks for asking!
My wife is like the U.S. Postal service when it comes to shopping, "....Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds"! She's tenacious! So I understand!

Regards.

ldgibson76

post #47 of 558 Old 12-15-2008, 06:11 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

my wife is like to u.s. Postal service when it comes to shopping, "..

lol

Frank

post #48 of 558 Old 12-23-2008, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

After Christmas, these images will be referred to as the "BEFORE" photos.
It has been a chore getting the cables in order, but it's coming along. I should have the back looking organized and presentable by evening time on Christmas and new photos will be posted shortly after. The only modification up front will be a new XBox 360 Elite. (for now!)

Happy Holidays to all of the members of AVS Forums!

Regards.

ldgibson76

post #49 of 558 Old 12-24-2008, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
WOW, the cables on those speakers are same gauge we use on our 5 TON AC system!
post #50 of 558 Old 12-24-2008, 09:18 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

After Christmas, these images will be referred to as the "BEFORE" photos.
It has been a chore getting the cables in order, but it's coming along. I should have the back looking organized and presentable by evening time on Christmas and new photos will be posted shortly after. The only modification up front will be a new XBox 360 Elite. (for now!)

Happy Holidays to all of the members of AVS Forums!

Regards.

Same to you whishing you and your family a merry christmas.

Frank

post #51 of 558 Old 12-26-2008, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

I know I still have a long way to go, but it's getting there!
The new XBox 360 Elite install will be completed over the weekend and photos will be posted shortly after!

Please, all critiques and suggestions welcomed!
I could surely used the help!

Regards!

ldgibson76

post #52 of 558 Old 12-26-2008, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
OMG, ld, that's a lot cleaner now!! Heck, it didnt' look too bad before either!

post #53 of 558 Old 12-27-2008, 06:02 AM
CIH USER

Very nice improvement ldgibson76.

Frank

post #54 of 558 Old 12-27-2008, 06:04 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

Hello ddgtr.

Thanks man! When I started, I really didn't know where to start. After formulating my strategery (Bushism) my first priority was to obviously get rid of the excessive speaker wire. Next, was to try to organize the cables coming from each component and route them in a more orderly fashion. Thirdly, was the isolation of the power cords. Initially, I really thought I did a decent job, separating the cords from the audio and video cables. I was wrong in that assessment! There was some separation, but further along the various paths, primarily near the outlets of the power center, some of the power cords still touched a few of the crossing audio cables. Now, all of the power cords exit the audio and video racks completely separated from the cables via tubing and routed under the tv stand, then distributed at the power centers.
As you can see, there's a lot of wire ties and velcro straps applied to maintained some sense of order.
But, IMO it still looks a little unorganized.

I'm still working at it. What you see above is will be Phase 4 of the project. Proper/organized routing to the inputs. Photos of the final product should appear shortly after the New year. So far, 6 hours have been invested!

Regards.

Are you using Banana plugs for some speaker inputs and hard wire for others?

Frank

post #55 of 558 Old 12-27-2008, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Are you using Banana plugs for some speaker inputs and hard wire for others?

Hello Franin.

Thanks for the comments. Like I said before, it's still a work in progress! A long way to go.

If you look closely and I apologize for the lack of resolution/clarity in the photo, but all speaker wires are connected via banana plugs. The white speaker wire is 14AWG by PRO-FLEX/Pro Connect. If you really look, you will see that banana plugs are attached to speaker wire and plugged into the terminals. Even the center channel speaker cable (Green and Black housing) is connected to banana plugs.
What makes the such a challenge is the fact that I have cables coming from both sides, and a lot of them. But, I'm working thru it! Mumulee has shown me the light with his cable management accomplishment!

Regards.

ldgibson76

post #56 of 558 Old 12-27-2008, 01:53 PM

ld , I thought I posted my comments on your wonderful setup before, but they seem to have disappeared ? So just to say again - looks wicked mate, and you can come round and sort out my spaghetti junction round the back of my AVR too if ya like lol !

post #57 of 558 Old 12-27-2008, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
(Posted this in the wrong thread, moving it where it belongs...)

ld,
THE_FORCE just beat me to it... If you and mumulee are ever in the area, perhaps I can get some help with my mess... Food and drinks are on me!! I just don't know where to freaking start!!

post #58 of 558 Old 12-28-2008, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_FORCE View Post

ld , I thought I posted my comments on your wonderful setup before, but they seem to have disappeared ? So just to say again - looks wicked mate, and you can come round and sort out my spaghetti junction round the back of my AVR too if ya like lol !

Hello Force!

Happy Holidays to you and the Mrs.!
Thank you for both viewing the thread and for the kind words about the my AV system.
I'm still working on achieving cable management "Chi"! It's very frustrating because there's so many cables. Every time I think I've solved or address all the issues, I see something else that can be moved or hidden! I'll probably be at it until the New Year!

By the way, the photos of the new Denon 3800 in silver are outstanding.

Regards.

ldgibson76

post #59 of 558 Old 12-28-2008, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post

(Posted this in the wrong thread, moving it where it belongs...)

ld,
THE_FORCE just beat me to it... If you and mumulee are ever in the area, perhaps I can get some help with my mess... Food and drinks are on me!! I just don't know where to freaking start!!

Hello ddgtr!

Man, you just have to dive in there! First, I shut down the system at the Power Centers, then I unplugged the Power Centers! That was a weird feeling and sound! The sound of complete system shut down! After that, I just started pulling cables, disconnecting everything. When I finished pulling the cables, I was knee deep in them! It was a complete mess! But even as I survey the photos of the latest cable arrangement, I still see there's a lot of room for improvement. Taking photos of the connections and routing really gives me unique perspectives so it's easier to make corrections and modifications. Like with the image below, I realize that I can actually combine all of the cables except for the (light blue and gray) AudioQuest interconnects. They are too short, so they will need to be replaced with longer runs. I should be able encase them in tubing and route them to the appropriate inputs on the AVR.

I'll keep you updated with the progress. And thanks for the compliments!

Regards.

ldgibson76

post #60 of 558 Old 12-29-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:

Hello Force!

Happy Holidays to you and the MR.

Thought I'd just correct that for you ld PMSL ! Hell, even the UK forums don't know that lol !

You deserve all the compliments you get my man - it's not just a whim, you always show real dedication and interest in all your posts. Something that should be commended.

Happy new year matey !

Reply What's Your System Configuration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page