post #61 of 558 Old 12-29-2008, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_FORCE View Post

Thought I'd just correct that for you ld PMSL ! Hell, even the UK forums don't know that lol !

You deserve all the compliments you get my man - it's not just a whim, you always show real dedication and interest in all your posts. Something that should be commended.

Happy new year matey !

Happy New Year to you also!

Thanks for the clarification! And thank you for the kind words.

Regards.

"Chance favors only the prepared mind. "Louis Pasteur"

ldgibson76

The Setup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 558 Old 12-30-2008, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldgibson76 View Post

Happy New Year to you also!

Thanks for the clarification! And thank you for the kind words.

Regards.

I agree with THE_FORCE, your enthusiasm and thought shows in every post!

BTW, your new approach to wire management looks great! Now I need to get behind my system and clean up. That really adds to the system.

Happy New Year!
post #63 of 558 Old 12-30-2008, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thank you for the acknowledgement. I do love this stuff!

As far as the wiring concept is concerned, I'm just winging it! Hoping to achieve some semblance of order. It's requiring alot of wire ties and velcro strips. I just picked up 20 ft of plastic tubing also. The tubing will be used to route the audio and video cables from both racks to the AVR. That will be an adventure all by itself!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3174860...7610165549421/

Looks fun doesn't it?!!!!!

Regards.

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #64 of 558 Old 12-30-2008, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you for the acknowledgement. I do love this stuff!

As far as the wiring concept is concerned, I'm just winging it! Hoping to achieve some semblance of order. It's requiring alot of wire ties and velcro strips. I just picked up 20 ft of plastic tubing also. The tubing will be used to route the audio and video cables from both racks to the AVR. That will be an adventure all by itself!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3174860...7610165549421/

Looks fun doesn't it?!!!!!

Regards.

Some of those cables look pretty nice! What are some of the brands you are using?
post #65 of 558 Old 12-30-2008, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by croseiv View Post

Some of those cables look pretty nice! What are some of the brands you are using?

Thanks.

At the risk of being abused by the Anti-Monster Cable Zealots, the majority of the cables used are as follows:

Monster Cable M-Series 350, 550, 850, and 1000/both audio and video versions
Monster Cable M-Series M1.4 speaker cables
Monster Cable THX Series 600, 1000
Monster Cable Data Link and Light Speed digital cables
AudioQuest Diamondbacks, Sidewinder, VDM-3, YIQ-X
Acoustic Research
Key Digital Python HDMI
Radio Shack Gold series
And a few miscellaneous types.

Most of the Monster stuff was purchased at least 8-10 years ago and still are very functional and effective. And the were purchased at a third of the retail price. I had a hook up at Bryn Mawr Stereo/Tweeter.
The rest were purchased off of eBay for the most part!

Regards.
Regards

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #66 of 558 Old 12-30-2008, 08:08 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:

Thanks.

At the risk of being abused by the Anti-Monster Cable Zealots, the majority of the cables used are as follows:

Acoustic Research
Key Digital Python HDMI
Radio Shack Gold series

The majority of the Monster stuff was purchased at least 8-10 years ago and still are very functional and effective. And the where purchased at a third of the retail price. I had a hook up at Bryn Mawr/Tweeter.

Regards.
Regards

I have monster also mate it does a great job, I guess each to there own. Btw wishing you and your family a happy and prosperous new year.

Frank
post #67 of 558 Old 12-30-2008, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I have monster also mate it does a great job, I guess each to there own. Btw wishing you and your family a happy and prosperous new year.

And a Happy and prosperous New Year to you and your family also!

Regards.

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #68 of 558 Old 12-30-2008, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
ld, I got it to work without problems, thanks!!

Regarding tubing - in addition to keeping the cables together, are you also using it to further isolate power cables from each other?
post #69 of 558 Old 12-31-2008, 04:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post

ld, I got it to work without problems, thanks!!

Regarding tubing - in addition to keeping the cables together, are you also using it to further isolate power cables from each other?

Congrats. I saw the photos in your thread and it looks good! Great presentation. Glad I could help.

In response to the tubing,.... Absolutely! To tell you the truth, although it may look cool upfront, I've discovered that the location of the power centers are not conducive to proper cable/power cord isolation. Because of the position (the lower shelf of the tv stand), I'm forced to run the audio cables from the audio rack behind the Panamax boxes which puts the cables in close proximity to the power cords. For the most part, I have separated the cords and cables to the point where they aren't touching one another, but they're still too close in my opinion. So as you correctly observed, the tubing will serve a dual purpose ... organization and shielding. Ultimately, I hope to acquire a multichannel amp. That will be positioned where the power centers are and I will make room on the two tower racks for the power centers, removing the 5 discs dvd changer and cd changer. Unfortunately, that won't happen for a few months.... must recover from the depletion of available funds due to Christmas. You know....two daughters and all!!!!

Regards.

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #70 of 558 Old 12-31-2008, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks.

Monster Cable M-Series M1.4 speaker cables
Acoustic Research
Key Digital Python HDMI
Radio Shack Gold series

The majority of the Monster stuff was purchased at least 8-10 years ago and still are very functional and effective. And the were purchased at a third of the retail price. I had a hook up at Bryn Mawr Stereo/Tweeter.

Regards.
Regards

I personally have no problem with Monster stuff. I have a Monster THX sub cable that's like 7 years old now. It's a decent cable.

What brand are the blue ones?
post #71 of 558 Old 12-31-2008, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by croseiv View Post

I personally have no problem with Monster stuff. I have a Monster THX sub cable that's like 7 years old now. It's a decent cable.

What brand are the blue ones?

If you are talking about the blue ones coming from the Cambridge Audio CD Player, those are the AudioQuest Diamondback Interconnects.

If you are talking about the 6 blue cables coming from the Denon DVD2910 universal, those are Monster Cable THX600 Component Cables. I was told using component cables for multi-channel out was perfectly OK. So I tried it and Sha-zam! It worked!

If you look carefully, you will see that the gray one has been replaced by a longer black one.
Although I paid very little on the AudioQuest and Monster cables, Monoprice, BlueJeans, and HDTVSupply.com is where I will go for future purchases.

Thanks for asking.

BTW, how are you bringing in the New Year? The wife and my youngest daughter are going to watch WALL-E in blu ray of course!

Regards.

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #72 of 558 Old 12-31-2008, 07:15 PM

Happy new year to you too.
post #73 of 558 Old 01-01-2009, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for asking.

BTW, how are you bringing in the New Year? The wife and my youngest daughter are going to watch WALL-E in blu ray of course!

Regards.

You're welcome.

We had a little party last night with some of our good friends nearby. One of the guys was really digging the set up. We played lots of games. With the mixed group, though, I couldn't push the volume too much, but I know the gentelman wanted too. We had a lot of fun!

Wall-E is a great movie. I've seen it as a rental from Net-flix, but I think I'm going to buy it, and add it to my blu-ray collection. Horton Hears a Who really surprized me!
Very good movie and great LFE.

Happy new year to you and your family!
post #74 of 558 Old 01-02-2009, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK, it's not finished yet. I'm still experimenting. The tubing didn't work out as well as I thought it would. Instead of neat and organized, it still looks like a mess, but with tubing added! It just doesn't look finished, if you know what I mean.

The saga continues........

See what I mean, it just doesn't have a finished look.
Suggestions please!

Regards.

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #75 of 558 Old 01-02-2009, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

ld,

I know you're a perfectionist but given the layout and the spread of your components it looks awesome, I wish mine was 25% as organized as yours...

I pulled my stands out last night and try to evaluate the situation. The way the power cords run towards the center power conditioner it's going to be nearly impossible the do a really clean job. I guess if had just one rack then it would be a different story, but they're spread all over and I definitely don't want to re-arrange my components. It seem to me that you are somehow in the same boat, only you have more components than I do.

So I honestly think you have done a terrific job, and I will continue to watch your progress closely...
post #76 of 558 Old 01-02-2009, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Dan. You're very kind.

The only way I can describe to the experience behind the system is.... it's a mini war! And the cables are still winning! I was behind there on and off for a good 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Not only that, my right surround speaker fell off the wall.

I was behind the TV rack and I heard this crash and the sound of DVDs hitting the adjacent bookshelf. I stood up looking to see what happened and there it was, my right Klipsch Reference RS35 dipole surround speaker hanging on by the speaker wire..... just hanging! When it fell, it hit the dvd rack below it and knocked all of the dvds off the top shelf and half of them off the second shelf! Figures! So I had to fix that issue, then get back to the tubing. BTW, the speaker was OK. No damage.

For tubing, I actually used a 1 7/8" x 10' ShopVac hose along with a couple of 1" x 5' hoses.
This time, I was able to truly isolate the power cords and audio/video cables.
My next goal is re-configure the cables that are routed thru the rear of the TV rack. I want to see if I can clean that up a little.

And good luck with your cable management endeavor. Once you start, you'll be forced to get it finished! You won't be able to help yourself!

Regards.

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #77 of 558 Old 01-03-2009, 02:03 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

OK, it's not finished yet. I'm still experimenting. The tubing didn't work out as well as I thought it would. Instead of neat and organized, it still looks like a mess, but with tubing added! It just doesn't look finished, if you know what I mean.

The saga continues........

See what I mean, it just doesn't have a finished look.
Suggestions please!

Regards.

The tubing certainly stands out, I was going to suggest conduit underneath the carpet.Its a pain but it will certainly hide everything.I did it with my focal Sub originially when it was on the side you could not really tell. Mind you it was small and it held the power cord and the Sub Rca cable.You might need a large counduit for the back but no one really sees the back and it will certainly hide the wires. Just a suggestion!

Frank
post #78 of 558 Old 01-03-2009, 02:55 AM
Advanced Member

ld,

Well, you're making good progress! I've certainly experimented quite a bit with split-loom tubing myself. While I think it can look decent, I think that's only true when you can get all the wires into a particular loom. If you have multiple wires coming out at various points and going into other looms, along with multiple different sizes of looms, it ends up with the result you described. It's still more organized, but does it look better than the wires collected together and bundled, but still exposed? That's up for debate. Good luck in your quest for organization perfection, though!

I like Frank's suggestion.
post #79 of 558 Old 01-03-2009, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hello Franin and A.G.

Thanks for the input and suggestions. Below I've attached photos showing the progress of my cable management project. It has given me a better perspective.

From the left:

From the right:

I will look into what you both suggested.
Thanks again.

Regards.

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #80 of 558 Old 01-07-2009, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

IdG,

Be sure to post some shots of the new amp! Yeah, you may have a bit of work on your hands with the cables..But it'll be worth it!
post #81 of 558 Old 01-12-2009, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi ld,

Just checking out your thread for more pics on cables and perhaps the new amp???

Also, any progress on the house situation?
post #82 of 558 Old 01-12-2009, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post

Hi ld,

Just checking out your thread for more pics on cables and perhaps the new amp???

Also, any progress on the house situation?

Hello Dan.

I apologize for my lack of activity on the WYSC section! I've been working ungodly hours and when I get home, I have every intention on posting but I'm so tired, I just do not have the energy (lack of brain power) to formulate a coherent and /or logical post!

Anyway, as far as the cable management quest goes, I'm at a stand still until the amp arrives and that's supposed to be this Thursday, Friday the latest. I have been trying to formulate a game plan regarding the arrangement of the components. My initial plan was to remove the 2 disc changers, in order to move the power centers to the lowest shelf on each audio rack and put the amp in the vacant spot by the AVR. (A major step to Cable management harmony ). But I do love my Disc changers and I really do not want to sacrifice them. So I was thinking, "Maybe I could move everything up one shelf! Meaning, the Cambridge Audio CDP and the cable box would be on the very top shelves. Of course the other components would follow suit moving up one. But it may look kind of funky that way! I will have to see. Unfortunately, it's really looking like the changers will be demoted to other rooms in the house!
Once the amp is in place, then I can improve the look of the "Invasion of the accordion-like tubing" in the back of my system.

As far as the house is concerned, the FBI is now on this guy's trail. It seems that he is wanted in several states. So the saga continues. Hopefully, they'll catch the bastard and he'll spend time in a 6' x 9' cell! soon to become someone's Bee-otch!

Thanks for asking!

My next goal is to get a modern AVR! I've been reading the Onkyo 805, 806 875/6 and the 905/6 threads! Boy, what an adventure! On paper, the are the most imposing AVR's on the market for the money. Specs for days!
But they seem to be very temperamental. Owner's either love them or hate them. I'm very interested in the Onkyo product, but my having cold feet is an understatement. Overall, how do you like your 805?!

Regards.

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #83 of 558 Old 01-12-2009, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

FBI? Man, that's like watching 24... Bastards like that should be prosecuted to the full extent...

You know, just like you're saying the Onkyo is like a rollercoaster ride. I am going to try to give you an objective opinion and I'm sure Aaron will chime in on this as he also owns an 805.

Sound: there is nothing anyone could say about the way the 805 sounds. In Pure mode, it competes with high end gear on a pretty close level. THe hidef codecs also sound great.

Video: I picked the 805 against 876 or higher specifically for the video passthrough feature; I'd rather let either the tv or bluray player do all the upscaling/upconversion necessary. I like it that way.

Firmware upgrades: pain in the royal arse. However, with all the FW leaks from Onkyo all's well...

The only other issue - and I had been REALLY vocal about this - is the lip sync issue. I did change my views however when after I got the Pio plasma with hdmi 1.3a ALL my sync problems went away! It's been perfect so far.

I do think there are a LOT of these units out there so there will obviously be some failures, and we know that those with problems will always be more vocal - and rightfully so.

I am on my second Onk, my first one has lasted almost 9 years and still going. Ran hot as hell but never broke down. That was actually the reason why I got the 805. So all in all, I think that for the price, they are pretty nice units.

I tried to be as unbiased as possible... Again, after you factor in the price, it's hard to beat an Onkyo...

Good luck with the rest of the project, and I can't wait to see new pics!!!
post #84 of 558 Old 01-13-2009, 01:06 AM
Advanced Member

Indeed, I also have an 805 and love it. However, a major caveat may be that I am not using any of the 'advanced' features. I don't use HDMI, I don't decode high definition audio in any form, and as of this week, have even discontinued use of the Audyssey room correction! I bought the 805 because it was by far the least expensive receiver which was certified to run four ohm speakers in all channels and is THX certified - Ultra2 at that. It had the number of inputs I wanted, though I could have used more S/PDIF inputs.

I thought I had the lip sync problem, however, I have come to realize that some channels (one in particular) are out of sync coming from our satellite receiver. So I may have been projecting that real delay onto imagined delays from other channels. We never had any delay problems using DVD as the source. Still, the latest firmware does make audio-lock on quicker, though changing sources is still dog-slow in my mind. But, several other brands I have tested are the same, so...

When it works, Audyssey Multi-EQ XT is supposedly the best version other than the Pro version, and a lot of people have had success with it. The Onkyo is also very flexible and configurable when it comes to miscellaneous little options (though I imagine most mid-high end receivers are, these days). And it certainly does sound and look great.
post #85 of 558 Old 01-13-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:

Hello Franin and A.G.

Thanks for the input and suggestions. Below I've attached photos showing the progress of my cable management project. It has given me a better perspective.

Regards.

Which is the before? after? jk both the before and after look great to me.

Good luck with the house.

Frank
post #86 of 558 Old 01-13-2009, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankd View Post

Which is the before? after? jk both the before and after look great to me.

Good luck with the house.

Frank

Hello Frank.

Thank you for the words of encouragement.
And as for the cable management, yeah I know, when you really look at it, visually, there's not that much of an improvement. But, the routing has been improved somewhat. After the amp arrives, the new location of the power centers will make isolating the power cords a lot easier and the whole area will look much more uniformed.

Thanks again.

Regards.

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #87 of 558 Old 01-14-2009, 04:08 AM
CIH USER

Hey Idgibson76

what thats big cloth cover behind your system?

Frank
post #88 of 558 Old 01-14-2009, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey Idgibson76

what thats big cloth cover behind your system?

Hello Franin!

It's curtains courtesy of J.C. Penney's!
They serve three purposes! 1) It covers a window that allows too much light!
2) Absorption. Because of the thickness of the fabric, it lessens the reflection. 3) Aesthetics. You should have seen the area it covers before I installed the curtains!

Regards.

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #89 of 558 Old 01-14-2009, 05:55 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

Hello Franin!

It's curtains courtesy of J.C. Penney's!
They serve three purposes! 1) It covers a window that allows too much light!
2) Absorption. Because of the thickness of the fabric, it lessens the reflection. 3) Aesthetics. You should have seen the area it covers before I installed the curtains!

Regards.

The area that it covered what was exactly was it? I thought of noticed a ledge. I was trying to think about your cables and with amount you have under the carpet could serve to be difficult. It can be done, but there is quite a bit to lift off.

Frank
post #90 of 558 Old 01-14-2009, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The area that it covered what was exactly was it? I thought of noticed a ledge. I was trying to think about your cables and with amount you have under the carpet could serve to be difficult. It can be done, but there is quite a bit to lift off.

You are correct in your assessment, there is a ledge below the window that the curtains drape over. As a matter of fact, my modem sits on it. As far as possibility of hiding some of the cables, when I install the incoming multi-channel amp, I will attempt to use the curtains as camouflage to hide the speaker cables.

Regards.

ldgibson76

The Setup
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page