post #91 of 558 Old 01-14-2009, 05:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldgibson76 View Post

You are correct in your assessment, there is a ledge below the window that the curtains drape over. As a matter of fact, my modem sits on it. As far as possibility of hiding some of the cables, when I install the incoming multi-channel amp, I will attempt to use the curtains as camouflage to hide the speaker cables.

Regards.

The front setup looks fantastic and the cabinet is very nice, can you move the cabinet towards the back closer to the back wall?

Frank

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 558 Old 01-14-2009, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

The front setup looks fantastic and the cabinet is very nice, can you move the cabinet towards the back closer to the back wall?

He would lose some great access to the back of the equipment.
post #93 of 558 Old 01-14-2009, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techlvr33 View Post

He would lose some great access to the back of the equipment.

Hello Franin.

techlvr33 is on point with his observation. The reason why I have the racks forward 24" from the wall is for my ability to get back there and make adjustments and modifications when needed. Not only that, but if I did need to get back there and the racks were against the wall, it would be a pain to remove the components from the shelves and move then move the rack forward! I don't have the energy nor patience for that!

Hello techlvr33. How are things going?!

Regards.

"Chance favors only the prepared mind. "Louis Pasteur"

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #94 of 558 Old 01-14-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:

Hello Frank.

Thank you for the words of encouragement.
And as for the cable management, yeah I know, when you really look at it, visually, there's not that much of an improvement. But, the routing has been improved somewhat. After the amp arrives, the new location of the power centers will make isolating the power cords a lot easier and the whole area will look much more uniformed.

Thanks again.

Regards.

I truly was kidding you can see a big improvement. You try to make all those wires "just go away" but you can't. Don't worry though from looking at your setup there is no doubt you're obsessive.
post #95 of 558 Old 01-14-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:

Hello Franin.

techlvr33 is on point with his observation. The reason why I have the racks forward 24" from the wall is for my ability to get back there and make adjustments and modifications when needed. Not only that, but if I did need to get back there and the racks were against the wall, it would be a pain to remove the components from the shelves and move then move the rack forward! I don't have the energy nor patience for that!

Hello techlvr33. How are things going?!

Regards.

Peachy.
post #96 of 558 Old 01-14-2009, 05:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Hi Idgibson76,
I do understand how hard it will become to get behind the system unfortunately mine I can’t even move as it’s bolted on the wall. Trust me I had enough also, when upgrading it became a a pain that everything took way too long. I had enough because it was really hard so what I did I had a custom racks made to fit in this cabinet. The reason being 1.equipment started getting heavy and the shelves could not handle the equipment and 2. (The main reason) was to have an extension cord for each component so I can change my components regardless of what power leads they have a bit like having a power point for each component and also a HDMI cord for each component also. This will save me from pulling everything out just to change a component. They were all tied by Velcro tie ups (Which your using) running down the rack nice and neat.Looking at the back of your system and the front you can do the same have a an extension cord made available for each component it will sit on the back of each shelf, then you can decide what shelf will cater for what type of component e.g. BD player you will have a permanent HDMI cable there if the player goes unplug from the extension cord, unplug the HDMI and just replace the player.

Anyway trying to come up with some ideas for you, that would have made it easier for you if your cabinet was closer to the wall which will help eliminate the cable problem.

I do understand why you don't want it close to the wall, but if you ever do decide and want to give that a go hope that helps.

Frank

post #97 of 558 Old 01-14-2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:

Hi Idgibson76,
I do understand how hard it will become to get behind the system unfortunately mine I can't even move as it's bolted on the wall. Trust me I had enough also, when upgrading it became a a pain that everything took way too long. I had enough because it was really hard so what I did I had a custom racks made to fit in this cabinet. The reason being 1.equipment started getting heavy and the shelves could not handle the equipment and 2. (The main reason) was to have an extension cord for each component so I can change my components regardless of what power leads they have a bit like having a power point for each component and also a HDMI cord for each component also. This will save me from pulling everything out just to change a component. They were all tied by Velcro tie ups (Which your using) running down the rack nice and neat.Looking at the back of your system and the front you can do the same have a an extension cord made available for each component it will sit on the back of each shelf, then you can decide what shelf will cater for what type of component e.g. BD player you will have a permanent HDMI cable there if the player goes unplug from the extension cord, unplug the HDMI and just replace the player.

Anyway trying to come up with some ideas for you, that would have made it easier for you if your cabinet was closer to the wall which will help eliminate the cable problem.

I do understand why you don't want it close to the wall, but if you ever do decide and want to give that a go hope that helps.

Personally i like it a bit off the wall also. Keen to see what you come up with as mine is in progress..
post #98 of 558 Old 01-15-2009, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankd View Post

I truly was kidding you can see a big improvement. You try to make all those wires "just go away" but you can't. Don't worry though from looking at your setup there is no doubt you're obsessive.

Hello Frank.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I will admit, I do at times, border on the obsessive! It's just hard for me to be satisfied with what's currently going on back there, especially when I've witnessed outstanding wire management in other systems. Staying consistent and true to thyself, I will continue to strive for cable management harmony.
Your location isn't too far from my locale. Are you familiar with Ron and Bob's World Wide Stereo?!!

Regards.

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #99 of 558 Old 01-15-2009, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techlvr33 View Post

Peachy.

Peachy!?! Well I guess that's better than a stick in the eye!
How's your system coming along?

Regards.

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #100 of 558 Old 01-15-2009, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Idgibson76,
I do understand how hard it will become to get behind the system unfortunately mine I can't even move as it's bolted on the wall. Trust me I had enough also, when upgrading it became a a pain that everything took way too long. I had enough because it was really hard so what I did I had a custom racks made to fit in this cabinet. The reason being 1.equipment started getting heavy and the shelves could not handle the equipment and 2. (The main reason) was to have an extension cord for each component so I can change my components regardless of what power leads they have a bit like having a power point for each component and also a HDMI cord for each component also. This will save me from pulling everything out just to change a component. They were all tied by Velcro tie ups (Which your using) running down the rack nice and neat.Looking at the back of your system and the front you can do the same have a an extension cord made available for each component it will sit on the back of each shelf, then you can decide what shelf will cater for what type of component e.g. BD player you will have a permanent HDMI cable there if the player goes unplug from the extension cord, unplug the HDMI and just replace the player.

Hello Franin.

Thanks for the suggestions and the understanding. I couldn't even imagine trying to lift the Denon POA!
Well, the Marantz amp arrived an hour ago. I will post photos then shortly after start the integration process. I'll be at it until the wee hours of the morning.

Regards.

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #101 of 558 Old 01-15-2009, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, it finally arrived at 2:45 PM EST. I took a couple of photos shortly after un-boxing and giving it a visual inspection. So far, it looks fine!

Front

Back

From the right

Speaker Terminals: a little dusty, but that will be remedied and "Made in Japan.... a lovely thing!

Audio inputs and THX level controls

Let the installation and integration begin!!!!
Photos will be post shortly after the install is completed.
Regards

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #102 of 558 Old 01-15-2009, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Very nice there Idg! Those Klipschs are gonna be pumping with that guy!

I'm in saving mode towards an Emo amp now. Once my tax return comes in plus the little bit I'm saving, an XPA-3 or 5 with be next up.

Congrats!
post #103 of 558 Old 01-15-2009, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by croseiv View Post

Very nice there Idg! Those Klipschs are gonna be pumping with that guy!

I'm in saving mode towards an Emo amp now. Once my tax return comes in plus the little bit I'm saving, an XPA-3 or 5 with be next up.

Congrats!

Thanks croseiv!

But I've gotta tell ya, the system at this moment is in shambles! Cables, velcro strips, tubing and twisty ties are everywhere! I've literally pulled every cable from the AVR. this project is going to take a lot longer than I initially thought!
I've attached photo of the rear of the Marantz SR9300.
Croseiv, even though it lacks HDMI connectivity and is pretty much outdated when it comes to hi-rez audio and video processing, it's still an awesome AVR. To replace it with one that could accommodate all of my components, I would have to put out at least $2K+.

Regards.

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #104 of 558 Old 01-15-2009, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks croseiv!

But I've gotta tell ya, the system at this moment is in shambles! Cables, velcro strips, tubing and twisty ties are everywhere! I've literally pulled every cable from the AVR. this project is going to take a lot longer than I initially thought!
I've attached photos of the rear of the Marantz SR9300.
Croseiv, even though it lacks HDMI connectivity and is pretty much outdated when it comes to hi-rez audio and video processing, it's still an awesome AVR. To replace it with one that could accommodate all of my components, I would have to put out at least $2K+.
Regards.

Despite the mess, still looking good, LD! They certainly don't make mid-end receivers with as many audio inputs as they used to, or S-video. And the number of S/PDIF inputs seems to have dropped by about 50% in the last few years, what a crime. HDMI is seriously overrated. I work at an authorized repair center, and I'd estimate that at least half of the receivers we get in for repair are due to HDMI issues.

Why does your new THX amplifier say 8 ohms at the speaker terminals? It doesn't do four ohms? Surely it must. Not that it really matters, with your high efficiency Klipsch, but still...
post #105 of 558 Old 01-15-2009, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Oh Aaron, you don't understand. I pulled everything! It will no doubt take me all night to figure this out. You see, I placed the power centers on the lowest shelves of the two audio racks. It looks very busy. Too much going on! I really do not want to remove the changers but I may have too!
I'm going to try some repositioning. I may be able to save the changers!

Regards.

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #106 of 558 Old 01-15-2009, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

ldg, I want to apologize for using I instead of l in my previous responses. I have been thinking your name started with I.... I have now seen the light thanks to Aaron.

Looking forward to your impressions of the new amplifier once it's set up.
post #107 of 558 Old 01-15-2009, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ldg, I want to apologize for using I instead of l in my previous responses. I have been thinking your name started with I.... I have now seen the light thanks to Aaron.

Not a problem! BTW, if you don't get another response from me in the next 3 or 4 hours, it's because I'm down behind system breaking up a cable orgy!

Regards.

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #108 of 558 Old 01-15-2009, 06:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Oh geez sorry I thought it was I also.

Frank

post #109 of 558 Old 01-15-2009, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
ld,

Congrats on the amp!! It looks awesome!! Looking forward to your impressions, but I have a feeling those Klipsches are going to be jumping with joy any time now!!!

On a different note, what a great job you have done handling that ugly situation that developed in Aaron's thread.

All I want to say is you sir, are a gentleman !!!!!!!!!!!
post #110 of 558 Old 01-15-2009, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh geez sorry I thought it was I also.

It's ok man! I should have begun the moniker with a capital letter.
No worries mate!

Regards.

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #111 of 558 Old 01-15-2009, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post

ld,

Congrats on the amp!! It looks awesome!! Looking forward to your impressions, but I have a feeling those Klipsches are going to be jumping with joy any time now!!!

On a different note, what a great job you have done handling that ugly situation that developed in Aaron's thread.

All I want to say is you sir, are a gentleman !!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you Dan.
It's just common courtesy. Aaron's a good guy and didn't deserve that. If "Video Master" didn't like A.G.'s setup then he should have just said that and moved on.

How's everything on the left coast!?!

Regards.

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #112 of 558 Old 01-15-2009, 11:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Oh Aaron, you don't understand. I pulled everything! It will no doubt take me all night to figure this out. You see, I placed the power centers on the lowest shelves of the two audio racks. It looks very busy. Too much going on! I really do not want to remove the changers but I may have too!
I'm going to try some repositioning. I may be able to save the changers!

ld,

Hmm, seems I missed this part earlier! This reminds me of when I got my Onkyo last October. I was just going to swap out the receiver, but then no, I decided to move every other piece of equipment except my amplifiers, disconnected every single cable in my rack! Save the changers! I'm sure you can figure something out. I look forward to seeing the results.
post #113 of 558 Old 01-16-2009, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Gilbert View Post

ld,

Hmm, seems I missed this part earlier! This reminds me of when I got my Onkyo last October. I was just going to swap out the receiver, but then no, I decided to move every other piece of equipment except my amplifiers, disconnected every single cable in my rack! Save the changers! I'm sure you can figure something out. I look forward to seeing the results.

Well, I've finished the the audio side! I haven't applied the tubing yet because I remember what you said a couple of weeks ago regarding whether or not the tubing made an improvement. So for now, I'm going to forego the tubing until I'm completely finished connecting everything.

Looks the same doesn't it?!

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #114 of 558 Old 01-16-2009, 12:41 AM
Advanced Member

ld,

That looks great so far! Personally, I don't see any need to conceal those wires. Everything looks so tidy and well organized. I think that covering up would draw more attention to them. I think only if you had enough cable length to run all the cables to the floor and thus into one bundle across the center, it might look better to have, for example, one giant pipe as a conduit. The only thing I'd do would be to find a way to hide the wires on the floor so they're not visible from the front. I'll leave that to your creativity/obsession. I'd personally get a nice piece of grill cloth type fabric to cover that area of the floor between the tall rack and the center rack.
post #115 of 558 Old 01-16-2009, 02:29 PM

Looking very very good ld, better than I imagined and I new you would hit it hard. Have you attained wire management nirvana? Only you can say.

I live about 5 miles from Bob and Ron's. I have shopped there for decades, not an exaggeration. I think I helped them establish the business. The first piece of gear I remember buying there was an Onkyo Integra 909 receiver. I bought it from Ron. I was looking at an Integra integrated amp; I don't use a tuner much. Ron told me he really didn't want to sell me the amp because he had one catch on fire. He gave me a great price on the 909 and told me he'd make it up selling me five speakers for it. Funny the stuff you remember. I have a neighbor with a very nice theater in his basement and World Wide Stereo trucks are in his drive way every few months.

Funny/Ironic thing is: the last receiver I bought I went down to Delaware for.

Anyway, your labor is paying off; your setup looks great.

Frank

P.S. I think I like it without the pipes.
post #116 of 558 Old 01-16-2009, 08:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Well, it finally arrived at 2:45 PM EST. I took a couple of photos shortly after un-boxing and giving it a visual inspection. So far, it looks fine!

Front

Back

From the right

Speaker Terminals: a little dusty, but that will be remedied and "Made in Japan.... a lovely thing!

Audio inputs and THX level controls

Let the installation and integration begin!!!!
Photos will be post shortly after the install is completed.
Regards

congratulations on the power amp, looking forward in those pics and also your impressions of the unit.

Frank

post #117 of 558 Old 01-16-2009, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
It definitely looks better without the tubing! I'm looking at it and personally I couldn't find a way to make it better...
post #118 of 558 Old 01-17-2009, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Guys! It's a disaster! (I'm being dramtic of course! ) I'll post photos in the very near future! I'm still refining but as of right now, I think it looks worst than the original setup! I've been at this for 2 days now and it just seems impossible! It's the damn video side (rack) thats killing me!
I'll keep you posted thru out the next several days.

Regards.

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #119 of 558 Old 01-17-2009, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
"It looks the same doesn't it?"

No it doesn't LD!

While I haven't commented on your progress, I must say, that it has come a long way! In all honesty, I was not a fan of the wire looms, they just didn't blend very well, and looked a bit tacky, IMO of course .

Thing about wire management, is that it is a never ending ordeal.

Now, if you don't mind an opinion? I feel that if you bypassed the track of the rack, and just ran the cables along the outside, it will provide a bit more of a streamlined look. The track seems to create a "suffocated", or "crammed" look. Now, if you "tacky" looking cables, then I may of felt otherwise, but your cables are pretty sexy looking. .

I know it would be waaay too much work to pull them now, but food for thought in your next "management" adventure.

In any event, it is looking great Ld, so keep on truckin!

Here is a quick pic of where I am now with mine (second time doing this, and I still made some mistakes). Some patch work needs to be done, but it's almost there.

The biggest obstacle, atleast from my own experiences, are always the power cords.
post #120 of 558 Old 01-17-2009, 11:26 PM

TV nice, components nice. I'm not so sure about the fugly rack and speakers though. And whats up with the dull grey carpet and JC Penny curtains? Do they have a Crate and Barrel or Z Gallerie in your area? You could use some help bud. I'll go out of my way to recommend BDI.com for a better ent system pal. You could use some new carpet as well. Like so many of you on these sites, home theater is not only about having a few decent components, its about the entire room stoopid.
Reply What's Your System Configuration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page