Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 81 Old 02-23-2009, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello techtvman!

Congrats on the new Kuro addition! It really looks great and truly enhances the look of your entertainment room. Did you have it calibrated or is that on the things-to-do list?
Dumb question coming!!!! I'm sure you're currently utilizing the 120Hz/24fps modes when watching bluray. Do you see a big difference in PQ compared to the Samsung LCD?

Regards.

"Chance favors only the prepared mind. "Louis Pasteur"

ldgibson76

The Setup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 81 Old 02-23-2009, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Its not callibrated professionally, im just using D-Nices settings, i thought about doing it, maybe i will i dunno, im reading peoples posts about doing it yourself with control cal and using the ISF modes, i dont know if i will do that or get it pro calibrated, right now everything is Pure mode with D-Nice.

Yeah i can tell the difference mostly with the credits but still some during pans, they are noticeably smoother with it set to advanced mode on the Kuro. picture quality overall wise yeah its a noticeable difference. I thought the set would be closer to no light output for blacks than it is during a no signal on the input but its still much better than the 4671 that i moved to my bedroom

PS. Thx for embedding a pic

-- TechTVMan

My Setup
post #63 of 81 Old 07-14-2009, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Hello techtvman!

A blast from the past. It's good to see a post from you!
How's everything going? Have you been enjoying the Kuro?!
I've yet to upgrade my monitor, but I hope to later this month once I receive my bonus.

Anything new happening with your system and are you any closer to installing acoustic treatments for your room?

Regards.

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #64 of 81 Old 07-14-2009, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah ive been reading more than posting these days lol but im still/always around.

oh yes i have some things in the works, i have been enjoying my kuro, and everything's going great!

I will be painting the room a darker color (portabello) for front wall and the rest of the walls relaxed khaki, this weekend then i will be getting a new htpc case the silverstone lc10-e-b so i can better hide the pc, and im going to move the 200 disc dvd changer downstairs for now since i dont use it that often, that way i can fit the htpc case where the dvd player is now,

ive since gotten the oppo blu-ray player and put my panny in my bedroom and... i am having Shawn Byrne do ISF calibration on my kuro and the full audio calibration and unlocking audyssey pro on my avr.

Also ive ordered some acoustic panels (QuestAI) from him so that when he gets here we can do that too. One behind each speaker and one on each of the side walls where we will move the speakers a tad closer to the walls and one at the rear hanging in the middle of my back surrounds for the center speaker

I will post more updates and pix after he comes which is Aug 10th

-- TechTVMan

My Setup
post #65 of 81 Old 07-14-2009, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow!

You are going to be quite busy over the next few weeks!

The results after the acoustic treatments and calibration will surely take your system to new heights.

The new HTPC, will it serve strictly as a music server/storage or will it be a multi-functional device? (browser/gaming, etc..).

And congrats on the new Oppo universal player. How do you like it so far? Any improvement over the Panny as far as bluray performance is concerned?

Regards.

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #66 of 81 Old 07-14-2009, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

yeah im hoping for great results when i/we are done.

actually the htpc wont be new im just taking the parts out of my desktop case, so i can use that case when i build a new pc next year and so the current pc will be more hidden and fit in my av rack, it will serve as windows media center, itunes server that i can control with my iphone 3gs, mostly multifunctional, some gaming here and there and web browsing.

I love the Oppo, i don't know if its just my imagination but it would seem that even blu-rays look slightly better, i know sd-dvds look much better now, and its much quicker and i dont have to wait for eject when i hit the button now

-- TechTVMan

My Setup
post #67 of 81 Old 08-12-2009, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Updates everyone! ISF calibration, acoustic treatment and more!

Just the other day i had Shawn Byrne http://www.soundadviceht.com aka SierraMikeBravo come over to calibrate my 151 and unlock Audyssey Pro on my AVR along with installing the incredibly easy to hang acoustic panels from QuestAI. I would highly recommend him

Shawn was very professional, friendly and took the time to explain everything i had questions for and giving the time frame that he had to work with we were moving around furniture and speakers, installing the panels calibrating both the audio and video all in 8 hrs he did a fantastic job and made sure i was satisfied with the results! As far as video calibration is concerned i was using D-Nices settings and instructions to the "T" for ISF-Day and Night which i unlocked myself with the purchase of ControlCal for around $50 months prior to him coming over and while i thought it looked great, i was off which didn't shock me at all, so let this be a lesson for anyone copying settings from anyone here on this forum DO NOT DO IT!! No D-Nice settings, it varies from TV to TV and environment to environment don't waste your time, do yourself a favor you will be better off putting your set in Movie, Pure, Cinema modes whatever your tv has and then just have Shawn come over to assure that you are getting the best out of your HDTV.

Now audio... I know my room needed work before so i talked to Shawn about it and I ended up going with acoustic panels from QuestAI which i would highly recommend over the others, the weight of the panels alone and ease of installation was amazing, they are lightweight and its just a couple of brackets that poke into the back to hang. We moved the furniture back and relocated the sub and main speakers, then we ran Audyssey Pro and calibrated several positions, the results now are far better than what i had before, stereo imaging is wider, voices are easier to hear and while my room isn't perfect, no room is, and i don't quite get that speaker disappearance effect that i was looking for listening to 2 ch music but its way closer than it ever was before and this is probably a result of my room and its defects, my music sources (because he had a demo cd after calibrating audyssey that simply sounded amazing) and maybe a bit of the design of the B&W 600 series, but now i know my room is as good as it can be given a normal persons budget or complete remodel of the room... you get the idea. He even suggested areas that i could improve upon which helps too.

Here is the result of everything... now i will be replacing my reclining couch with a 2 seat theater seating and the side couch will be replaced with either a nice chair or 2 seating couch instead of the 3 wide

-- TechTVMan

My Setup
post #68 of 81 Old 08-12-2009, 04:34 PM

Very nice setup
post #69 of 81 Old 08-17-2009, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Charts!
Pre Cal (D-Nice )

Post Cal

Audyssey Results before and after

-- TechTVMan

My Setup
post #70 of 81 Old 08-27-2009, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Hey TechTVman, CRAW here from your next of the woods (Brookrun Village). I just read through all this, and WOW! First off, great speakers - color me jealous!!! I've lusted for B&W's for years now!

Secondly, your house is very similar to mine (4-level split), and I have mine set up a bit differently - however, I'm thinking about widening the sound stage a bit. As soon as I get some time, I'll take pics for you.

Again, great set up! I'd love to come listen to your speakers some time - if that's not too weird. HA!
post #71 of 81 Old 08-27-2009, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks.

Yeah those B&Ws came from AVL, it sounds much better after what Shawn did.

-- TechTVMan

My Setup
post #72 of 81 Old 09-03-2009, 06:41 PM

Hey, what distance would you say your eyes are when seated in relation to the tv. Im having trouble wrapping my eyes around everything in relation to the 60" plasma (Mine is a 58"). Could you break out the tape measurer for me? If I recall the THX reccomendation for my 58" based on eye acuity was only 7.6 Feet for 1080p. I float between 7-10 feet, sometimes 5' for the S&G of it. BTW Nice Setup.
post #73 of 81 Old 09-04-2009, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

well for the purposes of sound, i am seated 13-14 ft away from it so that the couch is in the null of my dipoles, id be nice if pioneer made a 70in

-- TechTVMan

My Setup
post #74 of 81 Old 01-29-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techtvman View Post

well for the purposes of sound, i am seated 13-14 ft away from it so that the couch is in the null of my dipoles, id be nice if pioneer made a 70in

did you ever consider arranging you couches on two rows of seating one behind the other? (obviously you would have to built a raising platform for the one in the back)
this way you would solve the hidden speaker problem, all of your seats would be facing forward for a more natural watching position and you would be closer to the TV (13-14 feet from a 60" is too far, IMHO (THX recommended distance for your TV size is 6'7")
The only downsize I see to this layout would be that the two row layout would not be very living room friendly for hanging out and conversation purposes.

I wish I had the dept you have to play with. just a thought.

btw, that Kuro is sweeet!
post #75 of 81 Old 01-29-2010, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice idea!

But his wife would veto that idea in an immediate fashion!

Regards,

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #76 of 81 Old 01-29-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldgibson76 View Post

Nice idea!

But his wife would veto that idea in an immediate fashion!

Regards,

yeah, the dreaded WAF
post #77 of 81 Old 01-31-2010, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skpd View Post

did you ever consider arranging you couches on two rows of seating one behind the other? (obviously you would have to built a raising platform for the one in the back)
this way you would solve the hidden speaker problem, all of your seats would be facing forward for a more natural watching position and you would be closer to the TV (13-14 feet from a 60" is too far, IMHO (THX recommended distance for your TV size is 6'7")
The only downsize I see to this layout would be that the two row layout would not be very living room friendly for hanging out and conversation purposes.

I wish I had the dept you have to play with. just a thought.

btw, that Kuro is sweeet!

I had the calibrator Shawn calibrate everything and thats where the seats had to go as far as being in the null of the dipole surround speakers, ideal, no, but the wall and position of the side surrounds is the limiting factor here.

I just took a tape to accurately measure from front of glass of plasma to head and its 15ft, too bad they don't make an affordable larger display. My only other option would be projector and theres too much light for that. or maybe if i put the side surrounds on stands but eh i dunno, i've got a few other projects to work on before i go and mess around with this again.

-- TechTVMan

My Setup
post #78 of 81 Old 01-31-2010, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

i guess i haven't posted the latest pics, but i do have new theater seats now

only thing im waiting on is to go back to the store and order a 2 seat in the same color as the theater seating, but as a regular couch instead.

ldgibson76: I'm not married so that isn't an issue at the moment.

-- TechTVMan

My Setup
post #79 of 81 Old 02-01-2010, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

TechTVman, your set-up is looking better thyan ever. You have such a nice collection of speakers, components, that awesome Kuro, acoustic panels, and now the missing link---beautiful seating.

The recliners look so much better than your pervious seating. I think a nice matching loveseat or sofa would compliment your room perfectly. Once you have that your room will be complete.

If you can't edit the title yourself, I'd consider having the MODS reflect your pioneer in this thread title as it's quite a step-up from a samsung LCD.
post #80 of 81 Old 02-01-2010, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelinas View Post

TechTVman, your set-up is looking better thyan ever. You have such a nice collection of speakers, components, that awesome Kuro, acoustic panels, and now the missing link---beautiful seating.

The recliners look so much better than your pervious seating. I think a nice matching loveseat or sofa would compliment your room perfectly. Once you have that your room will be complete.

If you can't edit the title yourself, I'd consider having the MODS reflect your pioneer in this thread title as it's quite a step-up from a samsung LCD.

Thanks, and good idea, i just asked a mod to rename slightly to reflect my Kuro.
I do have plans to replace that other blue seating set and just a regular couch, nothing to fancy that i can closely match to what ive got, i just need to go back to homemakers and see what they have to order.

-- TechTVMan

My Setup
post #81 of 81 Old 06-26-2011, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Updates: New Subwoofer!
Rythmik FV15

-- TechTVMan

My Setup
Reply What's Your System Configuration