My Livingroom HTPC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-13-2008, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14

I just upgraded my receiver to Onkyo TX-SR875 and added Sony Playstation 3. I use PS3 as bluray player though. I'm very satisfied with TX-SR875 HQV Reon-VX Video Processing, it makes ordinary DVD looks stunning. Reon-VX can upscale 480i/480p/720p video from composite, s-video, and component input signal to 1080p video output via HDMI.

Here the list of my equipments:

AUDIO VIDEO

• Sony DVP NS575P
  • Sony Playstation 3 40GB
  • Onkyo TX-SR875 (with latest v1.08 firmware)
  • Sony Bravia KLV-46V200A
  • B&W Nautilus 804, main speakers
  • B&W Nautilus HTM-2, center speaker
  • B&W DM601 S2, side and back surround speakers
  • REL Acoustic Storm III, subwoofer

HTPC/Vista Media Center

• C2D E8400 | Freezer 7 Pro
  • Gigabyte EP35-DS3P
  • 4x1GB Corsair CM2X-6400C5
  • Zotac 9600GT 512MB AMP Edition
  • Hauppage PVR-150MCE
  • Seagate 320GB and WD Caviar GP 1.0TB
  • Pioneer DVR-A12XLB
  • SilverStone ST50F
  • SilverStone LC20B-M

Here are the controllers, I'm still using Marantz RC-2000MKII Universal Remote, waiting for Logitech to release Harmony One MKII or Two (I wish) which will support bluetooth. I began to think that I need PS3 remote, it's annoying using gamepad to control bluray operation.

I know the side surround and back surround speaker placement are not ideal, but this is livingroom, there are "other" factors need to be compromised.

I use HDMI for connecting HTPC and PS3 to receiver, and the receiver to LCD TV. I cannot hide cables, so I tried to arrange them as neat as possible. It doesn't look terrible, does it? Oh... cabling cabling cabling, make me sick!

The problem now, is that PowerDVD 8 Ultra, cannot sent bitstream signal through HDMI. If I selected "use S/PDIF" from PDVD 8 sound configuration, there is no sound at all. I had to select just 2 speakers in order to hear the sound. There is no problem when playing DVD using Vista Media Center. So I think this is PDVD 8 bugs, or something? Anybody experience the same problem?

NEW UPDATED SETUP

This is my current Living Room Home Theater PC, built 3-4 years ago. A few months ago I upgraded the video card, to enable DTS-HD Master Audio bitstreaming through HDMI. The LCD is rather old, which is still 1080i max. I'm looking forward to upgrading to 60" Samsung 60D8000 LED, I hope it can be realized soon.

HTPC
Windows 8 Professional x64 [ XBMC Frodo ]
Intel Core2Quad Q9550 | Freezer 7 Pro
Gigabyte EP35-DS3P
4x1GB Corsair CM2X-6400C5
HIS Radeon HD7770

60GB Kingston SSDNow
1TB WD Caviar Black
Hauppauge PVR-150MCE
SilverStone LC20B-M
SilverStone ST50F
Pioneer DVD Writer
Logitech Wireless Touch Keyboard K400

Audio Video and Console
Onkyo TX-NR809
B&W Nautilus 804 [ Main ]
B&W Nautilus HTM2 [ Center ]
B&W DM 601 S2 [ Side and Back Surround ]
REL Acoustics Storm III [ SubWoofer ]
Sony Bravia KLV-46V200A
PS3 [ MultiMAN v2.06 ]
Wii [ USB Loader GX v2.2 ]

Media Storage Server
FREENAS v8.02 Release AMD64
Single ZFS Pool Array of 10x2TB RAIDZ2 ~ 13.6TB
AMD Phenom II X2-555BE ~ X4-B55 | Freezer 64 Pro
Kingston 16GB DDR3-1333
BIOSTAR TA880GB+
SYBA SY-PEX40008 (Sil 3124)
Seasonic M12II-620Bronze
NZXT Source 210 Elite

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2008, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 52
wow, very nice, neat and elegant. The surround speakers are not setup ideally, but I can understand how it is a living room setup and not a dedicated room.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Looking good!
Old 06-14-2008, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
perhaps some acoustic treatments?
Old 06-14-2008, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Hello "ctantra"!

I agree with "teckademic's". Very clean and elegant. And yes, as you have acknowledged, the rear speaker array isn't ideal. I wanted to know if it would be possible to reposition the outboard rear speakers? (B&W's, excellent choice for speakers!). For example, moving them forward, positioning them to the left and right of the sofa and pointing them inward. Doing so may create a more enveloping surround field. I realize that molding has been laid for the speaker cable. Hopefully it's not a permanent solution. I had a similar setup when I lived in a condo, so I sort of understand the challenges your room presents.
Anyway, you have a very sweet setup and a beautiful room!
As far as acoustic treatments are concerned. If you are experiencing echos and/or alot of reflection, then yes, I would look into the concept. Obviously, make sure you consult professionals for that endeavor. You have a lovely room and you don't want the panels to dominate the decor! There are some nice examples in the gallery section of the website. You just have to really search.
And last but not least, the wire management! I'm very jealous! I wish I could organize my cables like you have. Great job!
Oh yeah, I forgot.... The Marantz RC2000 MkII Remote! Still a powerhouse remote! Being that you are still using it, I guess it's obvious that it's capable of accommodating your newer products. Any issues with programming or macros implementation?!

Regards.

"Chance favors only the prepared mind. "Louis Pasteur"

ldgibson76

The Setup
Old 06-17-2008, 11:23 AM

A possible solution for your cabling issue is to cut some PVC pipe in half length wise and mount to back wall. You can get a 4" pipe that will sufficiently hide your wires.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:37 PM

Liked: 11
yeah, the cabling is a pain specially if you didn't have pre-wiring done for your rears... I have to say your cables are about as neat as you can get given the open audio rack.

This is a VERY nice setup! congrats
Old 07-20-2008, 07:50 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Very nice setup. The speaker choice is awesome. Congratulations.

Frank
Old 08-18-2008, 02:55 PM

Nice setup. I know you didn't ask but I'm offering.. I have a similar setup with Universal Remote and KB and Mouse on glass table (so mousepad too or use pants as mouse which is no good). I just got a Logitech Dinovo Edge and I'm really happy with it. smaller then a regular kb. integrated trackpad. nice looking when docked, etc. modern look would compliment your decor. i dock it on a console table.

i'm guessing anybody that grooms their cables so well would love to eliminate some coffee table clutter!!
Old 08-19-2008, 06:29 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimes007 View Post

Nice setup. I know you didn't ask but I'm offering.. I have a similar setup with Universal Remote and KB and Mouse on glass table (so mousepad too or use pants as mouse which is no good). I just got a Logitech Dinovo Edge and I'm really happy with it. smaller then a regular kb. integrated trackpad. nice looking when docked, etc. modern look would compliment your decor. i dock it on a console table.

i'm guessing anybody that grooms their cables so well would love to eliminate some coffee table clutter!!

Its true, he speaks the truth. The diNovo Edge IS the keyboard to have, sleek, modern, and best of all it works like it should without hassle!

Btw I love your house, its beautiful!

...Oh and your setup is excellent as well

Enjoy!

My Home Theater Thread

The real honest reason I am using my Bose, is because one of the JBL woofers blew out.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy112 View Post

Its true, he speaks the truth. The diNovo Edge IS the keyboard to have, sleek, modern, and best of all it works like it should without hassle!

Agree with you about diNovo Edge, but my kids like to play some games on the HTPC. They prefer using mouse instead of touch pad. Is the touch pad on diNovo Edge similar to the one on the notebook? Because the touch pad on the notebook is kinda uncomfortable.

Regards,
LimLim
Old 08-29-2008, 01:35 PM

My 2 comments have nothing to do with the system. But I must say that is one of the most gorgeous doorways I've seen. Secondly, is that an atrium outside the theater room?
Old 08-29-2008, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandiego View Post

My 2 comments have nothing to do with the system. But I must say that is one of the most gorgeous doorways I've seen. Secondly, is that an atrium outside the theater room?

Actually, that is a living room not a theatre room, . There is a garden outsite the living room. Thanks for you compliment.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:40 PM

Wow, this is an awesome picture:

Old 11-15-2011, 11:34 AM

Hello, sorry to bother you, but I am scratching my head for weeks how to mount my center speaker on top of my flat TV and since I have exactly the same speaker model ... center B&W htm2 and since I want to mount the speaker exactly the way you did ... I have a question: HOW YOU DID IT? where did you find that bracket?!
I don't want to put the speaker under ... I don't want to hang the speaker ... just put it exactly the way you did it.
Beautiful setup.
Thank you,
Toni
Old 11-15-2011, 12:13 PM

I really hope one day you'll check my message and let me know about the center speaker support. Thank you
Old 11-15-2011, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonitza View Post

I really hope one day you'll check my message and let me know about the center speaker support. Thank you

The OP doesn't seem to check his thread, but if you go here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post20886360 he tells someone else what he's using to mount his speaker and if you scroll up on that page, you'll see a nice side view.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonitza View Post

Hello, sorry to bother you, but I am scratching my head for weeks how to mount my center speaker on top of my flat TV and since I have exactly the same speaker model ... center B&W htm2 and since I want to mount the speaker exactly the way you did ... I have a question: HOW YOU DID IT? where did you find that bracket?!
I don't want to put the speaker under ... I don't want to hang the speaker ... just put it exactly the way you did it.
Beautiful setup.
Thank you,
Toni

Hi Toni,
Actually that is 14-16" TV Wall Bracket. It can hold up to 40kg ~ 88lbs which is perfect for HTM-2. I bought it at local Ace hardware. Here the bracket looks like:

Don't forget to drill the bracket base to match the HTM-2 screw holes. Then screw them to secure the HTM-2. You can look more pics at the link in my signature. Hope this helps.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:17 PM

Thank You, I really appreciate your kindness.
That would work yes.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Hi ctantra, I'd also really like to congratulate you on your setup. I check into this thread quite frequently and I have to admit your configutation is one of the most awesome I have ever seen here. Clean and well thought over, and that shows.

On a second note, please allow me to share some more thoughts with you. I'm a man being more concerned about audio quality than video quality, coz I believe video quality is mostly dependent on the given technical circumstances of the system itself leaving not much for the enduser to tinker. Meantime, audio quality can be greatly influenced/ improved by the enduser (i.e. us) by taking some further considerations.

And that is where room correction software chimes in. Your Onkyo 875 has Audyssey's MultEQ XT version on board, so I'm just curious whether you ran the setup in your room with the test mic in all 8 positions provided with the Onkyo or not.

Taking another look at your room suggests to me that there are a lot of issues in the audio domain that need to be handled. Its a living room (not a dedicated HT room), so room treatment (acoustic panels, etc.) doesn't seem to be an option here.

But worry not, Audyssey, although seems to have quite a challange here will surely improve sound quality once set up properly. What do I mean?

You have a lot of reflective surfaces in your room like glass walls, ceramic floor tiles, leather stuff, even a coffee table with a glass top. These all contribute to unwanted reflections resulting in degradation of sound image quality by adding something called "smearing" to the game lessening so called localization of the sound source. Putting sheer curtains, a rug and some nice table cloth on the coffee table are all part of a kinda cold-setup prior to running Audyssey room correction software.

Looking at your towers I may also consider swapping the left tower with the sub and the right tower with the rack in expectation on a wider sound stage up front. Toeing-in the towers could also be considered coz speakers always have their widest frequency range when on-axis to the MLP (Main Listening Position), while tilting the center to face the MLP (at seated ear height) greatly improves dialog intelligibility.

More details on Audyssey set-up you can find in the "Setup Gudie" you can find in my sig line. For best results its advisable to follow this guide to the letter.

Whaddaya think?
Old 11-17-2011, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I see XBMC! Nice setup dude. Reminds me a lot of mine.

My Setup
Stage 1 - Enthusiasm
Stage 2 - Realism
Stage 3 - Obsession
Stage 4 - Acceptance

Which stage are you on?
Old 11-17-2011, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Feri...,

Thanks for your compliment and suggestion.

My 875 like most of 875 had hdmi circuit problem, and I replaced it with 809 which also has Audyssey MultEQ XT. I ran Audyssey Quick Start setup once, but I'm still too reluctant to do the Full Calibration. Besides, it's hard to find 8 listening position in my room.

I really appreciate your detail guide to Audyssey setup. I'll try to read it before I want to do Full Calibration later.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctantra View Post

Hi Feri...,

Thanks for your compliment and suggestion.

My 875 like most of 875 had hdmi circuit problem, and I replaced it with 809 which also has Audyssey MultEQ XT. I ran Audyssey Quick Start setup once, but I'm still too reluctant to do the Full Calibration. Besides, it's hard to find 8 listening position in my room.

I really appreciate your detail guide to Audyssey setup. I'll try to read it before I want to do Full Calibration later.

Why reluctant? You have spent hard earned money on sophisticated gear that can make your system even better.

Mic positions do not coinside with listening positions, please read the guide and you will see.

Actually the Audyssey set up doesn't really take longer than 20-25 minutes. Wish Ya good luck.

Take care.