Wow!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 338 Old 12-30-2008, 08:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Absolutely beautiful. You have assembled a dream living experience and environment! Nearly perfect utilization of a small space. If there were a few vintage mid-century modern furnishings about; I would have found my ultimate interior. Bravo on many levels!!
post #93 of 338 Old 12-31-2008, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter

Cheers for the nice compliments aerick,croseiv and Holly - very kind of ye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldgibson76 View Post

This is my favorite section in the forum because, I feel that this thread represents the accomplishment and celebration of hometheater/2 channel ownership.
None of the negative dialogue that goes on in the other threads.
Just, praise, kudos, ideas and helpful suggestions to improve or refine one's set up.

Hi ld. ! I couldn't agree more mate. None of the arguments - it's alot nicer in here.

Quote:

Now, about the Kef 205/2's! Wow! Not bad, Not bad at all! (that's an understatement). Are you just getting the two towers or are you planning on acquiring the whole surround package?! And if so, is the wood finish the only choice or is a piano black-like finish available? It's obvious that, coordination is paramount in your dwelling!

Regards.

Lol I'm not a wood finish type of bloke as you might have guessed (!), so it will be either the Piano or Satin Black. I'm looking at the 205/2's, 202/2C, then 4 XQ20's as sides/rears. I'm in the middle of arranging a demo here in the coming month which is exciting ! I have a feeling I might have to go down the Nad M25 route for powering them if I can find one in the UK ! Have to wait and see on that.

Then the final part is that Carl from JL Audio has given me the details of a dealer who can export 2 Fathom f112's over here, so that should take care of the sub 100hz region.

My current speakers are a weak link, but I'll be sad to see them go still.

Have a great new year mate, and to everyone else too.
post #94 of 338 Old 01-02-2009, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
The Kef 205/2 are fantastic speakers and together with the Fathoms it's going to be a hard to beat setup. I know you're going to floor everyone coming to your demo, so do us a favor and snap some spy photos of their faces when you fire that baby up!! That is, only if the prime minister's not going to be present also...
post #95 of 338 Old 01-02-2009, 08:44 AM

This has to be one of my favorite threads, i've already subscribed to it. Thanks for sharing pics of your awesome set-up and nicely taken photos too.
post #96 of 338 Old 01-05-2009, 03:44 AM - Thread Starter

ddgtr cheers mate. though I think I may have given the wrong impression in my post lol ! I'm after a demo of the speakers at an independent AV shop pre-purchase, not in my own home lol. (Sounds like a plan though ?). I'm interested in auditioning the Wilson Benesch Discoveries also, though I have a feeling the Kef's might be a bit kinder to poorly recorded material ?

p.s if the Prime Minister ever set foot in here, there'd have to be a damn good reason !

Rex - cheers for the kind words matey.Thanks for reading too .

I've done a photostream which includes various pics that you can see here, as well as from a link on the first page:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3296005...76106283/show/

It includes something I got for my Birthday on Jan 1st, which I'm utterly thrilled with tbh. It's a shame there's nowhere in the UK that do something like Colorwarepc in the US -

Being a bit of a PS3 gamer, I've been after these badboys for ages:

A DS3 in Crush to match the sofa's:

And a DS3 in Prowler to match the Bedroom Walls:

They've got a very impressive finish to them - almost like glass !

Cheers all .
post #97 of 338 Old 01-05-2009, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Hello FORCE!

Ok, you have taken the concept of color CO-ORDINATION to epic levels! You have the concept on LOCKDOWN!
You see, as quiet as it's kept, I noticed the orange/white MP3 docking station in the initial photos. I thought, "that's unique. It matches the couch colour scheme. Not bad!" But now, you have really raised the bar and found PS3 controllers that not only match the living room decor colours but also the bedroom colours. I just hope that you do not inadvertently leave the "Crush" controller on couch and a guest fails to notice it due to the stealth-like colour and accidently sits on it!
Bravo FORCE. Just when I think you've maxed out, you go vertical.... again, taking it to another level!

Regards.

"Chance favors only the prepared mind. "Louis Pasteur"

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #98 of 338 Old 01-06-2009, 06:46 PM

Awsome setup. I am astounded by your photograghy. Please tell what kind of photography equipment you use and maybe a few pointers.
post #99 of 338 Old 01-07-2009, 04:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hello FORCE!

Ok, you have taken the concept of color CO-ORDINATION to epic levels! You have the concept on LOCKDOWN!

ld, once again you're too kind mate, but also made me crack right up lol. I actually did laugh out loud when I read that. Cheers chieftain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boe View Post

Awsome setup. I am astounded by your photograghy. Please tell what kind of photography equipment you use and maybe a few pointers.

Many thanks Brian. I'm never happy with my pics still tbh lol. A sucker for perfection I think !

I use a Nikon D40X, which is still really an entry level DSLR, with a Sigma 10-20mm HSM lens for wide shots, or the classic Nikkor 50mm prime for close ups. I always use a tripod (got a wicked Manfrotto one with ball head for xmas !)- this helps immensely, and if I ever need to use an external flash, I bounce it off the ceiling. I also always use the camera's timer to lessen the risk of camera shake when the shutter releases.

I think the real trick is to make sure the subject is well lit, and if it isn't , and you need to use longer exposure times to let more light in, then get yourself a tripod, or something similarly sturdy.

Hope this helps mate.
post #100 of 338 Old 01-07-2009, 08:45 AM

Many thanks Brian. I'm never happy with my pics still tbh lol. A sucker for perfection I think !

I use a Nikon D40X, which is still really an entry level DSLR, with a Sigma 10-20mm HSM lens for wide shots, or the classic Nikkor 50mm prime for close ups. I always use a tripod (got a wicked Manfrotto one with ball head for xmas !)- this helps immensely, and if I ever need to use an external flash, I bounce it off the ceiling. I also always use the camera's timer to lessen the risk of camera shake when the shutter releases.

I think the real trick is to make sure the subject is well lit, and if it isn't , and you need to use longer exposure times to let more light in, then get yourself a tripod, or something similarly sturdy.

Hope this helps mate.[/quote]

Force,
Thanks for the reply. I will have to get out the old tripod and give that a try. Also, I am currently using a Kodak Z812 IS 8.1 MP camera. Will upgrading to an SLR be a significant difference?

Thanks for your help.

Here my setup. Its not very modern like yours, more traditional to go with the rest of the house!
LL
post #101 of 338 Old 01-08-2009, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Will upgrading to an SLR be a significant difference?

Thanks for your help.

It depends on the camera Brian, but generally you're able to do alot more with a DSLR, and the camera itself can do more to help you get better pics. Even on automatic setting you should be able to get some decent stuff, but the real fun lies in using the Manual, Aperture Priority and Shutter Priority settings.

The main advantage, is being able to use different lenses for different jobs, as the glass you use will ultimately be a determining factor on the end result.

There's a whole load to learn (do you ever stop learning ?!), but it's so enjoyable at the same time.
post #102 of 338 Old 01-08-2009, 10:04 AM

Force,

Here is the camera I am currently using. I know very little about cameras but I want to start learning more. Do you think this camera will produce pictures close to the quality of your shots?

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...pq-locale=en_U

p.s. I am still learning all the little posting tricks on these forums so bear with me!
post #103 of 338 Old 01-09-2009, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I truly love your AV minded contemporary design! I just read your thread and I'm very impressed. If I could ever talk my wife into building I would defiantly utilize many of the concepts you have brought to light.

Thanks for sharing!
post #104 of 338 Old 01-10-2009, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Force,

Here is the camera I am currently using. I know very little about cameras but I want to start learning more. Do you think this camera will produce pictures close to the quality of your shots?

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...pq-locale=en_U

p.s. I am still learning all the little posting tricks on these forums so bear with me!

Hi again Brian. You should be able to get some pretty nifty shots with that camera ? I see it records only in JPEG format, so if you do any editing or post processing in a program such as photoshop, remember to save in TIFF format (this will be uncompressed). Then when you're ready to upload to an image host such as imageshack etc., then you can save in JPEG format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDave View Post

I truly love your AV minded contemporary design! I just read your thread and I'm very impressed. If I could ever talk my wife into building I would defiantly utilize many of the concepts you have brought to light.

Thanks for sharing!

And thanks for the nice comps Dave. Maybe you could bribe the wife somehow lol ??

p.s just ordered the 2 F112 fathoms, so they should be with me in about a weeks time. Can't wait !
post #105 of 338 Old 01-11-2009, 09:04 AM

wow wow wow wow wow

Can I move in? Pretty pleasssssssse?
post #106 of 338 Old 01-11-2009, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaje View Post

wow wow wow wow wow

There is a long waiting list kaje, looong waiting list...
post #107 of 338 Old 01-11-2009, 02:37 PM

Thanks for the comments. I almost didn't post because this thread is one of the first I looked at. It looks like it should be in a magazine. Very inspiring. I love your sense of style and your equipment placement. Multiple rooms of sick hardware. Can't go wrong with that.
post #108 of 338 Old 01-13-2009, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_FORCE View Post

Hi all. Thought I'd post some pics of my setups to date. Compared to alot of the mindblowing setups on here it's simply average, but like everyone else, it's a constant work in progress !

Damn you got me beat!!!

http://rickdaggerspanasonic.shutterfly.com/
post #109 of 338 Old 01-21-2009, 02:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaje View Post

wow wow wow wow wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post

There is a long waiting list kaje, looong waiting list...

Lol you guys. No more room at the inn ! Cheers fellas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evalese View Post

Thanks for the comments. .

You're welcome mate - and justifiably so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Video Master View Post

Damn you got me beat!!!

In a nice way I hope ?

Just a couple of pics of the new twins before I get down n' dirty with 'em :

And Mogami cable with custom Vampire locking interconnects:

Well impressed with their looks, and the gloss is finished very nicely on them. Gonna tear the roof off the mutha ' !

Chow Mein !
post #110 of 338 Old 01-21-2009, 10:55 AM

Stunningly perfect Force! Absolutely perfect. How about some shots with 2001 on the screen
post #111 of 338 Old 01-21-2009, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Hello Force!

Ok, you finally received the Fathoms! Now where are you going to position the behemoths?! BTW, they are very impressive looking. (Understatement of the year!)
I have three movies for you to demo after you set up the subs: Live Free, Die Hard; Ironman and Transformers. Let's see how long it takes the Bobbies to show up at the front door!?!

Regards!

"Chance favors only the prepared mind. "Louis Pasteur"

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #112 of 338 Old 01-21-2009, 04:32 PM

Liked: 11
Wow, I am impressed. This is one reason why I have always hesitated to put my system up for display here! I just start to feel good and BAM, I gotta see this. LOL

This is really nice,a bit sterile for me but impressive nonetheless. Its the kind of place where I can see Mr and Mrs The_Force come in and "Hal" the electronic butler asks if they are "having their usual cabernet for the lady and scotch up for the gentleman this evening?" Upon which The_Force requests Hal to "continue that James Taylor cd we were listening to the night before and oh hal, start that on the third track please!"

While on the subject of acoustic treatments in another discussion are those panels acoustic treatment panels?

I really like the pc room. I installed linux on my ps3 to have a linux system with a beautiful 1080p internet on my 52" dlp so I can appreciate what you did there. The equipment is very impressive. Good job on a very extraordinary system.
post #113 of 338 Old 01-21-2009, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Man o man! This is too, too impressive. Love the contemporary look. Very well done. How much did this cost you?

Chris
post #114 of 338 Old 01-27-2009, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVizzle View Post

Stunningly perfect Force! Absolutely perfect. How about some shots with 2001 on the screen

Evizzle you're very kind mate, cheers.I've just ordered 2001 now so will due that in due course !
Quote:

Hello Force!

Ok, you finally received the Fathoms! Now where are you going to position the behemoths?! BTW, they are very impressive looking. (Understatement of the year!)
I have three movies for you to demo after you set up the subs: Live Free, Die Hard; Ironman and Transformers. Let's see how long it takes the Bobbies to show up at the front door!?!

Regards!

Yo ld - those pesky bobbies ! Cheers mate. Luckily I've got those 3 flicks on BD so will have an ikkle play this weekend and check em out . I've got 'em at the front of the room on opposites:

The first night, I was a bit underwhelmed with them tbh - then I spent some time the day after altering crossovers,E.L.F and most importantly gain on the AVR and now I'm pretty chuffed with the result. I think it was a case of not being used to 'clean' bass - and they do like to be cranked up. At lower volumes they merely tickle, but are best served steaming hot at slightly higher levels lol ! Very chuffed overall mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mconley1015 View Post

While on the subject of acoustic treatments in another discussion are those panels acoustic treatment panels?

mconley cheers mate - and the 'Hal' scenario made me chuckle out loud lol The panels were meant first and foremost as a cosmetic addition. Whether they help or hinder the acoustics in any way I'm not sure ? I suspect even though they're solid, they might help dispersion just a tad ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by creemail View Post

Man o man! This is too, too impressive. Love the contemporary look. Very well done. How much did this cost you?

Chris

Hi Chris, and cheers for the nice comp mate. Though do you mean electronics, or decor, or the whole shebang ? I shudder at the thought - as me pockets are now nearly empty lol !

All the best
Jon
post #115 of 338 Old 01-27-2009, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_FORCE View Post

The first night, I was a bit underwhelmed with them tbh - then I spent some time the day after altering crossovers,E.L.F and most importantly gain on the AVR and now I'm pretty chuffed with the result. I think it was a case of not being used to 'clean' bass - and they do like to be cranked up. At lower volumes they merely tickle, but are best served steaming hot at slightly higher levels lol ! Very chuffed overall mate.

All the best
Jon

That is soooo true! In some cases I find myself getting used to a piece of equipment and when I upgrade it I find myself being a little disappointed only to realize that - after listening to it for a while - I couldn't go back to the old one... It's funny how this whole thing works...

This is not always true though as some additions will blow you away the first time you insert them into the system.

The JLs are excellent subs and they look great in their new home!!! Congrats!
post #116 of 338 Old 01-28-2009, 04:13 AM

WOOF WOOF thats some system and house,think I have seen it before..............guess who. lol lol lol

post #117 of 338 Old 01-28-2009, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

Hello Force!

Regards!

You left out "Master and Commander", "The Dark Knight", and "The Incredible Hulk"!
post #118 of 338 Old 01-28-2009, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
The Force,

Have you considered having one "nearfield", and one "farfield"?

Did you try running the first sub, and see where the nulls were? This would help in the positioning of the second sub, as I see you have multiple seating locations. Also, since you said you have them at "opposites", I assume that would mean that one is hidden by the black lacquered cabinet that you is shown in the pic.
post #119 of 338 Old 01-29-2009, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The Force,

Without a doubt one of the most amazing looking systems I've seen yet. I absolutely LOVE the modern contemporary look. Your HT is so clean and organized that it looks like pages from an AV magazine photo shoot. I have never seen a system (or room for that matter) so dust free. Do you have a special room air filtration system?

Also the pics of your room and gear is the best I have seen! Talk about photos you can almost reach out and touch! Were all the pics taken by a professional photographer? I have a DSLR but I'm still a newbie at using it, and at some point would love to have my photos come out as good and as detailed as yours.

Seth
post #120 of 338 Old 02-02-2009, 02:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post

The JLs are excellent subs and they look great in their new home!!! Congrats!

Cheers dd. The more time I spend with them, the more I like them. (though I have been given slightly angry looks by the other arf when I crank them lol).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Mac View Post

guess who. lol lol lol

Look out ! It's the Nikon Kid !!! Cheers Tez, erm still waiting on these new pics of your Naim gear mate ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism View Post

The Force,

Have you considered having one "nearfield", and one "farfield"?

Did you try running the first sub, and see where the nulls were? This would help in the positioning of the second sub, as I see you have multiple seating locations. Also, since you said you have them at "opposites", I assume that would mean that one is hidden by the black lacquered cabinet that you is shown in the pic.

Hi fanatical. If you look at the pic a few posts above, when you say the black laquered cabinet, if it's what I think you mean on the right hand side, then that is the sub !! Because I used a wide angle lens, the right hand sub looks alot larger and at a weird position in relation to the LH sub ! I positioned them near enough by what JL Audio themselves recommend - at the front of the room, and at the same distances from both L and R main speakers. My seating/lying (!) position is near on bang in the middle of the two, but still experimenting - just not enough spare time at the mo !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah32 View Post

Do you have a special room air filtration system?

Sadly no Seth, only a pair of lovely girl's in the form of Merry Maids that come round once a week to clean up all our mess lol
Quote:

I have a DSLR but I'm still a newbie at using it, and at some point would love to have my photos come out as good and as detailed as yours.

Seth

Seth thanks ever so for the kind words mate - means alot. Personally I love your pics ! You've got a lovely bright room there which helps immensely I think. I'm never entirely happy with my pics tbh, but I will always say that my tripod is my best friend - without it I'd be lost,as my hands just shake far too much lol !
Reply What's Your System Configuration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page