post #151 of 527 Old 04-24-2009, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happytobehere200 View Post

Our centers are about the same size. I have a tiltable plate so that wasn't an issue for me but I get what your issue is although you may not really need it to move that much. I found, after laser sighting, that I didn't need as much tilt as I visually thought I did. Sounds like you can do the math of the angle given the distance to your seating but it is interesting how a few degree tilt, over a 12' distance adds up.

I also didn't want the center hanging from the sides or shaking (my subs are on the stage with it) so that's why I didn't go with a stand like you are looking at (Mfgr said the same thing that the center being a 3 way will move if not well placed).

So you might want to think about what this is going to be on given what you are looking at since it won't make up the 12" (or so) that you need. You could always built a box but much like the issue with a center on top of a TV you will have to make sure you deal with early reflections given there will be a big flat surface below it. A box wraped in Linnaccoustic and then GOM over it would probably work. Just a thought

Happytobehere200 -

Thanks for the input.
The laser sighting sounds like an intelligent thing to try.
The KY custom stand company sounds like a nice inert stand.

Can you tell me more about this stuff:

"Linnaccoustic and then GOM"

Thanks for your input on a relatively trivial and esoteric part of the HT.
However, as you know the center channel contains a lot of information for HT use so getting it right is important.
For me, anything would be an improvement over what I'm doing now.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 527 Old 04-25-2009, 10:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post

The laser sighting sounds like an intelligent thing to try.

I went low tech with this. Just a simple laser pointing device on top of the center but it worked very well.

Quote:

Thanks for your input on a relatively trivial and esoteric part of the HT.
However, as you know the center channel contains a lot of information for HT use so getting it right is important.
For me, anything would be an improvement over what I'm doing now.

Mike

Really agree with you on this point. I was supprised and how little data I found on this on the AVS site. Might have been me just not looking carefully enough but seems like it is an afterthought for many. Happy to discuss further.

Quote:

Can you tell me more about this stuff:

"Linnaccoustic and then GOM"

So first, if you look at the design of many center stands almost all try to minimize their structural presence. Beside a "good look" it also helps not cause the stand to become involved with the center channels signal.

If you build a box below your center channle you are adding a fairly large and reflective surface for the first order sound waves to hit. Not sure if you are familar with first order sound waves but most of the time its something you deal with for the Front Left and Right with the walls. Some type of absorption (for high frequency) is usually recommended at that point on the side walls. Well if you create a flat surface box under your center you are essentially creating a wall below the speaker.

To counter that effect if would be best to add some high frequency absorption material on the front of the box. Linnaccoustic would be a good solution. If you use 1x2 or 1x1 to frame the front you can then put the Linn in the pocket created by the 1x1 or 1x2 frame. Then cover that frame, and the Linn in GOM (Guildford of Maine) material in the color you like. GOM is a highly sound transparent material - like speaker cover material - that will allow the sound to pass through it and be absorbed by the Linn.

Does that help?

Happy.
post #153 of 527 Old 04-26-2009, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I went low tech with this. Just a simple laser pointing device on top of the center but it worked very well.

Really agree with you on this point. I was supprised and how little data I found on this on the AVS site. Might have been me just not looking carefully enough but seems like it is an afterthought for many. Happy to discuss further.

So first, if you look at the design of many center stands almost all try to minimize their structural presence. Beside a "good look" it also helps not cause the stand to become involved with the center channels signal.

If you build a box below your center channle you are adding a fairly large and reflective surface for the first order sound waves to hit. Not sure if you are familar with first order sound waves but most of the time its something you deal with for the Front Left and Right with the walls. Some type of absorption (for high frequency) is usually recommended at that point on the side walls. Well if you create a flat surface box under your center you are essentially creating a wall below the speaker.

To counter that effect if would be best to add some high frequency absorption material on the front of the box. Linnaccoustic would be a good solution. If you use 1x2 or 1x1 to frame the front you can then put the Linn in the pocket created by the 1x1 or 1x2 frame. Then cover that frame, and the Linn in GOM (Guildford of Maine) material in the color you like. GOM is a highly sound transparent material - like speaker cover material - that will allow the sound to pass through it and be absorbed by the Linn.

Does that help?

Happy.

Happy -

Any thoughts based on what you said (about accoustics) about the relative strengths and weaknesses for the center channel stands I listed above?

Mike
post #154 of 527 Old 04-26-2009, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Is the graph displayed the frequency response (FR) of the speakers or the correction factors being used -- that is, the inverse of the FR of the speakers in the room?

I found an answer to this...
(bold added)

"These graphs are neither the before nor the after responses. They show what the MultEQ filter is doing in each channel. If you turn your TV upside down the graph would correspond to the "before" response from the combined measurements. If there is a dip at 70-80 Hz then that means that MultEQ is reducing a peak at that frequency."

Link

Mike
post #155 of 527 Old 04-28-2009, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

JVC DLA-HD750/RS20 Firmware Update - version 1.1

Download Link

AVS post by GaryB_UK -- Link

New CMS AVS Calibration Thread -- Link

Description from JVC site:

The software is self-extracting.
After downloading and saving the file on your computer, please double-click on the file.

The installation will start by double-clicking on the file

Please follow the instructions on the screen.

Description:
Firmware update to improve operation of Colour Management System. This firmware update will erase all of the projector settings. If you wish to save any of your settings, you should record them before carrying out the update. Please take all possible precautions to ensure that there will not be any power loss during the update. If you are using a laptop computer to carry out the update, you should use it on mains power with the battery fully charged and disable all Power Management features.

Now I need to d-load and install this before my RS20 calibration & Radiance come in.

Mike
post #156 of 527 Old 04-28-2009, 06:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Happy -

Any thoughts based on what you said (about accoustics) about the relative strengths and weaknesses for the center channel stands I listed above?

Mike

Nothing I can specifically point to. The model you provided a picture of really won't have much effect. My comments were more pointed towards if you put that on top of a box to raise it up. Most of the others, with metal cylinders or wooden supports present a diffuse area under the platform and therefore would not create a significant reflection point.
post #157 of 527 Old 04-28-2009, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Nothing I can specifically point to. The model you provided a picture of really won't have much effect. My comments were more pointed towards if you put that on top of a box to raise it up. Most of the others, with metal cylinders or wooden supports present a diffuse area under the platform and therefore would not create a significant reflection point.

Happy -

Thanks.
I have some video work to do (see below) and then likely will order a CC stand and re-eq.

- May 3 - ISCOIIIL + CineSlide install
- May ?? - RS20 FW update installed
- May 16 - RadianceXE install and calibration

The HT seats I ordered have no ETA, so may buy locally and wait 6+ wks before arrive and then need to re-EQ for change in room seating.

Still haven't gotten REW to work.
I opened up my Galaxy SPL meter, so may try that with REW eventually.

Mike
post #158 of 527 Old 04-28-2009, 02:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Happy -

Thanks.
I have some video work to do (see below) and then likely will order a CC stand and re-eq.

- May 3 - ISCOIIIL + CineSlide install
- May ?? - RS20 FW update installed
- May 16 - RadianceXE install and calibration

The HT seats I ordered have no ETA, so may buy locally and wait 6+ wks before arrive and then need to re-EQ for change in room seating.

Still haven't gotten REW to work.
I opened up my Galaxy SPL meter, so may try that with REW eventually.

Mike

Wow, you are organized!
post #159 of 527 Old 04-29-2009, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I got my Oppo 83 priority order email.
I plan to order tomorrow.

Here is a link about the RS232 mod info -- link

Mike

-------------
I just received my Oppo email.
I had previously turned down the EAP2 (300) to wait for a RS232 modded Oppo.

I used the Oppo email link and didn't see an option for the RS232 mod, so I called.
Oppo had not yet gotten any requests for RS232 mods.
They will update the links/website for priority orders tomorrow to allow a RS232 option.
If you have gotten an email and want the RS232 mod then wait until tomorrow to order.

I haven't seen any posts on this yet and Oppo told me I as the first to inquire, so sorry if this has already been posted somewhere.

I already have my Middle Atlantic custom shelf installed waiting for it...
post #160 of 527 Old 04-29-2009, 03:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I got my Oppo 83 priority order email.
I plan to order tomorrow.

Here is a link about the RS232 mod info -- link

Mike

-------------
I just received my Oppo email.
I had previously turned down the EAP2 (300) to wait for a RS232 modded Oppo.

I used the Oppo email link and didn't see an option for the RS232 mod, so I called.
Oppo had not yet gotten any requests for RS232 mods.
They will update the links/website for priority orders tomorrow to allow a RS232 option.
If you have gotten an email and want the RS232 mod then wait until tomorrow to order.

I haven't seen any posts on this yet and Oppo told me I as the first to inquire, so sorry if this has already been posted somewhere.

I already have my Middle Atlantic custom shelf installed waiting for it...

so why do you want and RS-232 port?
post #161 of 527 Old 04-29-2009, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Link

----------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIR-Engineering
AMX and other control systems.

craigr
It's almost like I'll need an engineer/calibrator to show me how to use all this gear!

Other questions I've been asked:
- I don't know final RS232 modification pricing - look for it tomorrow
- I don't know the delay the mod will entail, but Oppo did say that all of the parts were there, so hopefully not that long

Notes from a prior post on RS232 for control systems...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post16054584

RS232 with a pronto remotes opens the possibility that you can have two way control of the Oppo with the remote so, for example, you could pull up oppo menus on your remote. You'd have to write the script but it is doable if you are familiar with javascript.

Also 232 codes tend to be a bit more stable and they are usually just a few letters or numbers rather than long strings of digits as in ir code.
--------------------

"Just in case" strategy...

Mike
post #162 of 527 Old 04-29-2009, 06:48 PM

How are you liking the new amp?

Ordered my Oppo 83 today.
post #163 of 527 Old 04-29-2009, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoogs View Post

How are you liking the new amp?

Ordered my Oppo 83 today.

The amp is good.
When I first set it up I thought it sounded better.
But that could well be from:
- placebo effect
- listening to music with kids around and then setting up amp when they were gone and then actually getting to concentrate on the music.

In any case I did an Audyssey calibration shortly after.

I may or may not set up an A/B testing of XPA3 vs. Denon receiver at some point.
Too many things on my "to do" list right now for that.

Thanks for asking.

Mike
post #164 of 527 Old 04-30-2009, 04:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I ordered the Oppo BDP-83 with RS-232 mod today.

Here is my post link in the Oppo EAP forum with more info for those interested -- link

2yr ext warranty
Priority USPS shipping

Mike

Quote:

Link

Quote:

craigr
It's almost like I'll need an engineer/calibrator to show me how to use all this gear!

- I don't know the delay the mod will entail, but Oppo did say that all of the parts were there, so hopefully not that long

RS232 with a pronto remotes opens the possibility that you can have two way control of the Oppo with the remote so, for example, you could pull up oppo menus on your remote. You'd have to write the script but it is doable if you are familiar with javascript.

Also 232 codes tend to be a bit more stable and they are usually just a few letters or numbers rather than long strings of digits as in ir code.
--------------------

Mike

post #165 of 527 Old 04-30-2009, 06:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Link

Quote:

craigr

--------------------

Mike

Interesting. I ask because I would like to get to the 232 interface on my Integra 9.9 but don't want to invest in an AMX or similar. I have a PC close to the unit and was hoping I might be able to find an easy way to control the 9.9 via the PC and control the PC through IR on my pronto. Haven't spent much time looking into this but thought it might a an interesting "project". Have you had any experience coding to the 232 interface via a PC?
post #166 of 527 Old 04-30-2009, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

[quote=Happytobehere200;16370757]Interesting. I ask because I would like to get to the 232 interface on my Integra 9.9 but don't want to invest in an AMX or similar. I have a PC close to the unit and was hoping I might be able to find an easy way to control the 9.9 via the PC and control the PC through IR on my pronto. Haven't spent much time looking into this but thought it might a an interesting "project". Have you had any experience coding to the 232 interface via a PC?[/quote]

No experience.
I'm just getting it in case I need it and will let the experts program/setup for me -- lots of gear to coordinate including CineSlide, RadianceXE, etc.

Mike
post #167 of 527 Old 05-03-2009, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

ISCO IIIL anamorphic lens and CineSlide CSII Anamorphic Lens Transport installed.

Thanks again Wayne!

Pictures later...

Too busy watching movies...

Mike
post #168 of 527 Old 05-03-2009, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
My pleasure Mike, enjoy. Sorry couldn't stay for dinner, next time though for sure
post #169 of 527 Old 05-04-2009, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

ISCO IIIL anamorphic lens and CineSlide CSII Anamorphic Lens Transport installed.

Thanks again Wayne!

Pictures later...

Too busy watching movies...

Mike

I should also note that Scott Horton (GetGray) at TechHT returned a Sunday afternoon phone call.
We had figured out this issue by then, but Wayne and I both thought it was strong work to try to help us out on a weekend.

Mike

PS - My son and I loved Kung Fu Panda with thew new ISCOIIIL in place. Much crisper then the "zoomed out" version.
post #170 of 527 Old 05-06-2009, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Happytobehere200 -

Thanks for the input.
And nice looking HT by the way.
I looked (am looking) at those. I didn't like the non-adjustable tilt.

My PDF table is listed in my last post.

My main contenders now...

1) Lovan Millennium Adjustable CC
adjustable tilt.
I would consider the dark glass base, but haven't seen pics of that version yet

2) Tyler Acoustics Taylo Center Stand
Fixed tilt, but I can calculate height and tilt I need and have it custom made.

tyleracoustics.com/stands.html
~$250
Sand filled ; made in Owensboro, Kentucky
1" MDF and painted with satin black lacquer
H: 6" (front) & 5" (back) with a fixed tilt - assuming 11" D ->ArcCotangent of 11 = ~5 deg
Stand size and tilt can be made to any setting desired.

Another option is to have my carpenter build something like the custom CC that others have built:
Custom center floor stand... with adjustable angle and height - http://www.av123forum.com/showpost.p...4&postcount=33

I'm still looking.

Also, a recent post on the Carada thread (see my signature) had me update my height I can/should have center at.

Thanks again,

Mike

Lovan

Tyler Acoustics

Dhan @ AV123

I may go with the black glass base of Lovan model - just got pics today...

Mike

http://www.audio-video-furniture.com...aker-Stand.htm

More links:
http://www.lovanusa.com/product_info...940b926c2852cf

Mike
post #171 of 527 Old 05-06-2009, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

post #172 of 527 Old 05-06-2009, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ah, ignore the holes in the ceiling...

Mike

HEY!! Where did all dem holes come from? next time you better hire a professional hope your'e enjoying some flicks....well off to the next one I guess.
post #173 of 527 Old 05-06-2009, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by funlvr1965 View Post

HEY!! Where did all dem holes come from? next time you better hire a professional hope your'e enjoying some flicks....well off to the next one I guess.

Wayne -

Team Badger got it eventually.
Watched a multiple viewing of Toy Story 2 (DVD).
The limits of DVD are obvious on a 128" screen, but it is still really good looking.

I haven't had much time to watch my BR's that are backlogged, but hopefully soon.

5/16 is calibration day.

We hope to you have you and your wife out one of these days for dinner and a movie.

Thanks again.

Mike

PS - RE: "...well off to the next one I guess..."
Does that mean you are working on another install?
post #174 of 527 Old 05-06-2009, 08:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

Ah, ignore the holes in the ceiling...

Good job guys. Looks nice.
post #175 of 527 Old 05-06-2009, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

Good job guys. Looks nice.

so boss do I get the job?
post #176 of 527 Old 05-07-2009, 12:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Love the shelfs in the back. great layout. Hey, arent those holes there for heat dissipation? I cant believe a badger would make a mistake. We badgers r way to smart for that.

BTW, who is doing ur calibration and where does he live?
post #177 of 527 Old 05-07-2009, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Love the shelfs in the back. great layout. Hey, arent those holes there for heat dissipation? I cant believe a badger would make a mistake. We badgers r way to smart for that.

BTW, who is doing ur calibration and where does he live?

HTBH200 -

I was unaware of your Badger status.

Heat disipation?? -- holes through the QuietRock drywall -- doh!

Calibration - 5/16
Craigr (Craig Rounds) from Chicago - Link
I was actually considering having him calibrate a DLP for me in 2005 when I lived in Houston, TX and he was doing a Southern tour.
He lurks at the Home Theater Spot, where I used to spend more time than at AVS.

Mike
post #178 of 527 Old 05-07-2009, 01:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

HTBH200 -

I was unaware of your Badger status.

Yes, born and raised but moved out of state in 96. Lifetime Packer fan and ticket owner. Family is still there back in She-boy-gan.

Quote:

Heat disipation?? -- holes through the QuietRock drywall -- doh!

Ahhh, I was trying to give you an out bud... Guess it didn't work.

Quote:

Calibration - 5/16
Craigr (Craig Rounds) from Chicago - Link
I was actually considering having him calibrate a DLP for me in 2005 when I lived in Houston, TX and he was doing a Southern tour.
He lurks at the Home Theater Spot, where I used to spend more time than at AVS.

Mike

Can I PM you on this with a couple questions?

Happy...
post #179 of 527 Old 05-07-2009, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Can I PM you on this with a couple questions?

Happy...

Sure

Mike
post #180 of 527 Old 05-07-2009, 03:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 46
What holes? Looks good to me :

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Emotiva Xpa 3 Amplifier , Denon Avr 5308ci Receiver , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Sony Bravia Ex700 Series 60 Inch Lcd With Led Back Lighting Hdtv Kdl 60ex700 , Samsung Bd P2550 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page