AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

What holes? Looks good to me :

Thanks for coming over to the house and patching those holes!

Did my wife also get you to move some of that pile of mulch in the driveway?

Hopefully I can enjoy watching it some more this weekend.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 527 Old 05-07-2009, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

There was a delay in the Private Collection Ovation 3033 w/ individual chair buttkicker controls (from Roman/rsh @AVS) with an undetermined estimated time of shipping/arrival.

Therefore, I changed my order to Berkline 45088

Front: 1-2-1
Back: 2 & 2

IOIOI
IOIOI
IOIOOIOI

- 8 seats
- partial leather, black, group 3
- fabric = 7110 leather
- black aluminum cup holders
- white glove delivery service

Now the waiting (re-)begins.

Mike

post #183 of 527 Old 05-07-2009, 05:14 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post

Did my wife also get you to move some of that pile of mulch in the driveway?

Sorry, only do holes.

post #184 of 527 Old 05-08-2009, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

My Oppo BDP83 with RS232 mod shipped out today!

Mike

post #185 of 527 Old 05-09-2009, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

As I was eating my pancakes this morning, I was browsing the latest Widescreen Review and noticed an interesting article about their new reference system (Issue 140, May/Jne 2009, pp.44-47) "The Newest WSR Reference System: Out With The Old, In With The Blu".

Selected system components:
- projector: JVC RS20 (no mention of FW upgrade 1.1)
- video processor: Lumagen RadianceXE

Since I really enjoy the BR review in WSR I'm glad they are using the same projector and soon to be same external VP. Of course their screen (rear projection) and other components are different.

What no ISCO???
I wonder how/if that works for rear projection.

An interesting quote:

"While the [JVC RS20] Silicon Optix's HQV Reon-VX [video processor] is excellent, we use the outboard Lumagen Radiance EX [should be XE, and is correct in their figure on p. 44] video processor to optimize every nuance of picture performance."

Since I have a calibration and Lumagen Radiance XE coming on 5/16, that's exciting to hear that from a "reference" theater.

Mike

post #186 of 527 Old 05-09-2009, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

Since I have a calibration and Lumagen Radiance XE coming on 5/16, that's exciting to hear that from a "reference" theater.

Mike

Thanks for the updates, Mike! How were the pancakes?

I know it's not going to happen, and it's way too much to ask, but I do admit it would be nice to know how much better it looks to you between: calibrated RS20 without Lumagen, and RS20 calibrated with. (Because I'm going to presume the difference between uncalibrated stock RS20, and Lumagen-calibrated to be very significant).

Honestly, I'm pretty sure I will not upgrade PJ for a while, nor add such a pricey VP, but man would I like to know. Maybe I'll get around to asking which upgrade path is recommended in the PJ subforum. I am way more than happy with my black levels on the RS1, but I wouldn't mind some more color correction. Anyhoo, cheers!

post #187 of 527 Old 05-09-2009, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostenmeat View Post

Thanks for the updates, Mike! How were the pancakes?

I know it's not going to happen, and it's way too much to ask, but I do admit it would be nice to know how much better it looks to you between: calibrated RS20 without Lumagen, and RS20 calibrated with. (Because I'm going to presume the difference between uncalibrated stock RS20, and Lumagen-calibrated to be very significant).

Honestly, I'm pretty sure I will not upgrade PJ for a while, nor add such a pricey VP, but man would I like to know. Maybe I'll get around to asking which upgrade path is recommended in the PJ subforum. I am way more than happy with my black levels on the RS1, but I wouldn't mind some more color correction. Anyhoo, cheers!

Pancakes good.

Your question/concern is very valid...
...and not too much to ask.
Actually, craigr (Craig Rounds) said that he would look at CMS v1.1 settings and then with RadianceXE and post the information for both.
I suspect that the v1.1 CMS vs. RadianceXE will not be as big of a difference as v1.0 CMS vs RadianceXE -- but I'm committed.

I suspect that more people than just you will be interested in this experiment.

I'll try to find the link, but if you look in the JVC RS20 Calibration thread you should see it.

More next week!

Cheers,

Mike

PS - I needed all of those pancakes to move a huge pile of mulch all around the house yesterday and today!

post #188 of 527 Old 05-09-2009, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

JVC RS20 FW v1.1 updated

(PDF enclosed)

Purpose:
"This updated firmware improves the adjustment range and linearity of the Colour Management System in the DLA-HD750 and DLA-RS20."

Should be ready now for my 5/16/09 calibration.

Mike

dlahd750_update.pdf 170.83203125k . file

post #189 of 527 Old 05-12-2009, 04:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I got home from work at 11pm last night.

I found a box with my Oppo BDP-83 with RS-232 modification.
I opened it (nicely packed) and installed it in my M.A. rack (nice!) and ran though the setup, but haven't put in any discs yet. That will be tonight.

More later...

Mike

post #190 of 527 Old 05-17-2009, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Some quick comments...

- Lumagen RadianceXE installed
- JVC RS20 calibrated by Craig Rounds (Craigr) yesterday with both FW v1.1 CMS and with Lumagen RadianceXE. I hope he makes some comments on the differences, but I'll leave that to him.
- Samsung BDP1500 moved out of MA rack since uneeded with the Oppo BDP-83
- Oppo BDP-83 sounds!!! as well as looks great. User interface is very nice. Still more impressions pending.

I'll post some pre/post calibration info for those interested later, but the calibration does make a noticeable improvement.
I haven't been able to watch much material since it was finished, but it looks amazing -- and didn't look bad "out of the box" in THX mode.

Next jobs:
- center channel stand (comments and pics coming)
- improve ethernet to gigabit around the house
- clean up MA rack and "push back" into the wall
- XBOX360 (Jasper)
- install WD 1TB hard drive into rack
- FW update on Lumagen RadianceXE - judder issues with 24fps forced mode
- masking system - ? Carada (see my anticipation thread)
- HT seats - on order
- more Audyssey calibration after HT seats, etc. in place
- remote/integration (likely after my wife gets to spend some money elsewhere in the house) - AMX, Control4, ???

Then, sit back and chill out for a while...

Mike

PS - And then help some friends with THEIR HT situations. Where I can give ideas and not spend money.

*EDIT*
Some Calibration Report numbers...

Before Calibration:
(rounded to 1 decimal point)

IRE - dE
10 - 15.8
20 - 15.9
30 - 17.2
40 - 16.0
50 - 16.7
60 - 14.2
70 - 15.2
80 - 12.6
90 - 13.1
100 - 11.5

After Calibration:
IRE - dE
10 - 0.4
20 - 1.1
30 - 1.2
40 - 0.5
50 - 0.2
60 - 0.2
70 - 0.6
80 - 0.1
90 - 0.2
100 - 0.5

post #191 of 527 Old 05-17-2009, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

...after some reorganizing...

Mike

Middle Atlantic rack (top)

Middle Atlantic rack (bottom) -minus bottom UPS -- oops

Full rack pic:

LL
LL
LL

post #192 of 527 Old 05-18-2009, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

A site I found posted at Seaton's site...
Sound Anchors - Center Channel Stands
http://www.soundanchors.com/page60.html

Looks interesting.

Mike

SDACC
$325
adj height - 9.5" - 17"
12" W
10" D
5 deg tilt

Studio CC Stand
from $320
adj height
adj tilt
custom sized

VCC5 Style Center Channel Stand
from $289
fixed height

3 and 4 Post Center Channel Stands

post #193 of 527 Old 05-19-2009, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

@Happytobehere200:

Looking at my specs below I was trying out some different CC stand heights (see pics).
The lower height seemed inadequate, so I'll likely try to go as high as possible without interfering with the screen.'

The blue "noodle" in the pictures was what the front of my speaker was propped up on before.

Yeah, I still have the chairs holding my center.
I may wait until my HT seats arrive in a month or go with the Sound Anchor adjustable height and tilt stands.
That sounds good.

Mike

Quote:

RSC200 measurements
Link (av123)
12" H x 10.5" D x 25 7/16" W

bottom of screen w/surround - 29"

http://www.carada.com/Masquerade-Masking-System.aspx
Cardada Masquerade

6.25" symmetrical perimeter frame width
-----------------------------------------------------------------
29 (bottom of screen surround)
--------
22.75"
- 12 (RSC200 height)
--------
10.75" = "max" height of center channel stand -- at least without getting in front of Masquerade surround

or

-----
17" = "max" size if okay to overlap Masquerade but still below the current screen surround

However, assuming the 6.25 overlaps with the current Masquerade edge, then(still need to look at that, but probably gives me a few more inches)

Mike

LL
LL

post #194 of 527 Old 05-19-2009, 05:51 AM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Mike:

Would you do me a favor and show me a couple shots of your MA rack from the side with it "parked" in the wall, and one from the rear/side with it pulled out. I'm planning my MA rack and wnated to see how you fit yours and how much they allow the components to "stick out" from the rack standards.

Thanks, Scott

post #195 of 527 Old 05-19-2009, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Mike:

Would you do me a favor and show me a couple shots of your MA rack from the side with it "parked" in the wall, and one from the rear/side with it pulled out. I'm planning my MA rack and wnated to see how you fit yours and how much they allow the components to "stick out" from the rack standards.

Thanks, Scott

"GG"/Scott -

See post #2 for some older pics.
I can take more.

Here is one pic from post #2:
(obviously a lot less gear back then...)

Will try to work on tonight if the kids let me.

Mike

post #196 of 527 Old 05-19-2009, 07:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

@Happytobehere200:

Looking at my specs below I was trying out some different CC stand heights (see pics).
The lower height seemed inadequate, so I'll likely try to go as high as possible without interfering with the screen.'

The blue "noodle" in the pictures was what the front of my speaker was propped up on before.

Yeah, I still have the chairs holding my center.
I may wait until my HT seats arrive in a month or go with the Sound Anchor adjustable height and tilt stands.
That sounds good.

Mike

Hey Blue noodle, I mean Mike..... sorry, couldn't resist. These look much better and I too like the SDACC adjustable. a few thoughts:

1) I still wish these things had wider platforms for our center speakers I mean you'll have 4-5 inches of overhang on either side. Since they seem to do custom stuff maybe you can get them to put a wider plate on it for you. It shouldn't affect stability and if they say it does then I'd worry about stability with your speaker on it:
2) Where are the wire terminals on your speaker, the rear riser could get in the way of the wire or banana plugs/spades.
3) It doesn't say anything about what they weigh, might be worth knowing that AND if you can fill the posts or base with shot.
4) Finally, I would check with them on their dimensions, to me it was confusing, here's why, the web site says Overall Height 12.5", Platform Max height 17". Maybe that means the rear post is 12.5" and the extension rod can go up another 4.5".

I'm probably overly concerned about movement but after looking at the rest of your room/equipment/focus on getting it right maybe not. I remember in the past reading that 80% of all the sound will come through your center (I don't think that means that 20% comes from the other 4/6 just that almost everything flows through your center). That might be high but not that far off. Take that number and then think about how hard speaker companies work on managing resonances and there probably should be more effort put behind having a rock solid CC stand.

I like a lot about these and as I've read through it (like the VCC5) they seem to be able to do some custom stuff. It might be worth calling them and seeing if you can get the adjustable done with the dampening they have in the VCC5 (or the ability to add your own), maybe with a wider base and platform. If they could do that you might have a winner.

Are you worried about wire managment (ie being able to hide it) or is that not an issue?
post #197 of 527 Old 05-19-2009, 08:48 AM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Thanks Mike. I was wanting to see it closed but I didn't realize you had a rack "door". So...nevermind . I'm building mine "open faced" into the wall.

post #198 of 527 Old 05-19-2009, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thanks Mike. I was wanting to see it closed but I didn't realize you had a rack "door". So...nevermind . I'm building mine "open faced" into the wall.

It is a pain to push in/out, so I am waiting to install my 1 TB WD MyDVR expander and XBOX360 before pushing it back in.

Then I'll need a remote for when the door is closed.
I'll try to take pics of a couple of different angles.

Mike

post #199 of 527 Old 05-19-2009, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

See bolded areas of your questions and my red responses...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happytobehere200 View Post

Hey Blue noodle, I mean Mike..... sorry, couldn't resist. These look much better and I too like the SDACC adjustable. a few thoughts:

1) I still wish these things had wider platforms for our center speakers I mean you'll have 4-5 inches of overhang on either side. Since they seem to do custom stuff maybe you can get them to put a wider plate on it for you. It shouldn't affect stability and if they say it does then I'd worry about stability with your speaker on it:
I agree
2) Where are the wire terminals on your speaker, the rear riser could get in the way of the wire or banana plugs/spades.
It looks like it is not a problem with the Studio CC (see link and pics in link below).
3) It doesn't say anything about what they weigh, might be worth knowing that AND if you can fill the posts or base with shot.
Good question. I'll ask. And more pics.
4) Finally, I would check with them on their dimensions, to me it was confusing, here's why, the web site says Overall Height 12.5", Platform Max height 17". Maybe that means the rear post is 12.5" and the extension rod can go up another 4.5".
Good question, but that was for SDACC not the Studio CC.
I like the height and angle/tilt adjustment of the CC.

I'm probably overly concerned about movement but after looking at the rest of your room/equipment/focus on getting it right maybe not. I remember in the past reading that 80% of all the sound will come through your center (I don't think that means that 20% comes from the other 4/6 just that almost everything flows through your center). That might be high but not that far off. Take that number and then think about how hard speaker companies work on managing resonances and there probably should be more effort put behind having a rock solid CC stand.

I like a lot about these and as I've read through it (like the VCC5) they seem to be able to do some custom stuff. It might be worth calling them and seeing if you can get the adjustable done with the dampening they have in the VCC5 (or the ability to add your own), maybe with a wider base and platform. If they could do that you might have a winner.

Are you worried about wire managment (ie being able to hide it) or is that not an issue?

http://www.soundanchors.com/page60.html

The Sound Anchors - Studio CC - custom sized may be the way to go.

Sound Anchors Studio CC
from $320
- adj height
- adj tilt
- custom sized

Sound Anchors Studio Center Stand is a custom height adjustable center channel stand. This stand can be configured to support any center speaker but it is really best suited to the large system where a large center speaker needs to be placed in front of projector system or behind a perforated screen.

The Studio Center Stand features adjustable height and tilt. All dimensions are custom sized to fit the application. The Sound Anchor Studio Style Center Channel Speaker Stand can be made in any height up to 60 " and can support speakers weighing up to 300 pounds. If you have a big system this is your stand

STUDIO CENTER STAND PRICING................FROM $320.00 ea.

Mike

post #200 of 527 Old 05-19-2009, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Sounds like a winner:

Sound Anchors Studio CC
from $320
- adj height
- adj tilt
- custom sized

From Sound Anchor:
(bold added by me)
----------------------------

"Thank you for your inquiry.

Sorry I do not have very many pictures of the studio center stand. I have attached one photo of a studio center, one photo of the pivot system and one photo of an adjustable midfield stand. Basically a studio center stand is half a pair of adjustable midfield stands that we sell to recording studios to support their large monitors.

This stand is shipped unfilled and requires the user to fill them to get best sound. The reason that we do not fill the stands here like we do sell our other stands is that the lower section has some through holes that do not allow us to use our loose fill. Once the stand is assembled it is easy for the end user to fill them.

A studio center stand of the height that you're requiring made to fit the speaker dimensions that you supplied me will fit the $320 basic stand a price. I would probably make the stand so that it would be 18 inches tall after spikes or whatever your putting under it. 28 inches wide looks pretty good but I would probably go 27 instead, it would probably look better.

These stands you sorbathane pads between the speaker and stand. They are spiked at the floor so if you have hardwood or tile floors you will want to use our Conecoasters. Conecoasters cost $14 each when purchased with the stand, $16 each purchased separately or $20 each it bought from a dealer.

This stand would be custom made. It usually takes about three weeks from when order is placed to when we ship.

If you would like more information or would like to purchase one of these stands please give us a call at 321-724-1237 between 10 AM and 5 PM Eastern time Monday through Friday. We use a credit card to secure the order but do not charge the card until the order ships. We accept visa, MasterCard or American Express for payment.

Best regards
Bob W."

---------------------------
RSC200 CC measurements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some of my "chicken scratch measurements":
Cardada Masquerade

--------
22.75"
- 12 (RSC200 height)
--------
10.75" = "max" height of center channel stand -- at least without getting in front of Masquerade surround

or

-----
17" = "max" size if okay to overlap Masquerade but still below the current screen surround

Now for some measurements...

Mike

EDIT/ADDENDUM:
- embedded images aren't working for some reason -- see JPGs below

More helpful email info from Sound Anchor below:
Questions
What do you recommend for fill?
Sand or shot -- are the holes big enough for shot?
What "size" shot?
How much tilt can you go back without having the speaker slip off?

Answers:
1. I recommend clean multipurpose sand or silica sand.
I recommend against lead shot as it is toxic and offers no performance advantage.
2. The holes are 2” X 2” Square.
3. You can safely tilt the speaker back about 10 degrees if you need more we can weld some tabs on the back.

LL
LL
LL
LL

post #201 of 527 Old 05-19-2009, 02:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Sounds like a winner:

Sound Anchors Studio CC
from $320
- adj height
- adj tilt
- custom sized

From Sound Anchor:
(bold added by me)
----------------------------

"Thank you for your inquiry.

Sorry I do not have very many pictures of the studio center stand. I have attached one photo of a studio center, one photo of the pivot system and one photo of an adjustable midfield stand. Basically a studio center stand is half a pair of adjustable midfield stands that we sell to recording studios to support their large monitors.

This stand is shipped unfilled and requires the user to fill them to get best sound. The reason that we do not fill the stands here like we do sell our other stands is that the lower section has some through holes that do not allow us to use our loose fill. Once the stand is assembled it is easy for the end user to fill them.

A studio center stand of the height that you're requiring made to fit the speaker dimensions that you supplied me will fit the $320 basic stand a price. I would probably make the stand so that it would be 18 inches tall after spikes or whatever your putting under it. 28 inches wide looks pretty good but I would probably go 27 instead, it would probably look better.

These stands you sorbathane pads between the speaker and stand. They are spiked at the floor so if you have hardwood or tile floors you will want to use our Conecoasters. Conecoasters cost $14 each when purchased with the stand, $16 each purchased separately or $20 each it bought from a dealer.

This stand would be custom made. It usually takes about three weeks from when order is placed to when we ship.

If you would like more information or would like to purchase one of these stands please give us a call at 321-724-1237 between 10 AM and 5 PM Eastern time Monday through Friday. We use a credit card to secure the order but do not charge the card until the order ships. We accept visa, MasterCard or American Express for payment.

Best regards
Bob W."

RSC200 CC measurements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some of my "chicken scratch measurements":
Cardada Masquerade

--------
22.75"
- 12 (RSC200 height)
--------

or

-----

Now for some measurements...

Mike

Mike. Answers seem pretty good. I did look at the studio stand too at first but missed the adjustable component to it. Also didn't see the spikes but they say those can be there - might want to make sure they provide them.Sounds like these guys will do whatever you want them to do and being able to fill them will be great. So the only other thing - I'm sounding like a broken record - about this one that I didn't like was that there didn't seem to be anything stopping the speaker from potentially sliding back. The pads may negate that and if you aren't tilting it a lot this may be no issue at all but just a thought. I think I mentioned before I was really suprised how little I tilted my center to get it aligned with the raised back row. But on the otherhand I have a stage and I don't think you will have one so you might have more of a tilt.

Seems like you've got a winner. Maybe you can photoshop your speaker on the stand to see what it will look like ....
post #202 of 527 Old 05-20-2009, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

HTBH200 -

See my edited notes above your post..

Questions
What "size" shot?

Answers:
I recommend against lead shot as it is toxic and offers no performance advantage.
2. The holes are 2 X 2 Square.
3. You can safely tilt the speaker back about 10 degrees if you need more we can weld some tabs on the back.

I will likely go with:
- 18" ht
- 27" width (internal?)
- ? tabs for tilt. I forgot to do the laser sighting last night
(I was just lucky to make any measurements or decisions with my kids in the room with me).

Thanks for "talking it out" with me...

Mike

post #203 of 527 Old 05-20-2009, 08:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

HTBH200 -

See my edited notes above your post..

Questions
What "size" shot?

Answers:
2. The holes are 2 X 2 Square.

I will likely go with:
- 18" ht
- 27" width (internal?)
- ? tabs for tilt. I forgot to do the laser sighting last night
(I was just lucky to make any measurements or decisions with my kids in the room with me).

Thanks for "talking it out" with me...

Mike

Mike. Truely my pleasure. Wish I would have found these guys before I bought. I also may be asking you some questions in the future. I'd only make one more comment from their feedback. I'd stay with the shot vs. silica. While you probably wouldn't use enough to truely be at risk, silica can cause silicosis which is caused by the inhalation of silica dust. In addition is is a pain to clean up if you spill or ever have to empty it and while lead isn't the best thing for the environment for what you are doing I wouldn't be so concerned.
post #204 of 527 Old 05-20-2009, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I ordered the Sound Anchor Studio CC stand.
I updated my av123 Center Channel Speaker Stand file (enclosed).

$320
custom sizing:
H: 18" + spikes
W: 27" (internal)
Lip will be added to back for tilt up to 18 degrees

2"x2" opening will allow for filling with whatever non-toxins are available to weight the stand.

Finally and end to my ugly chairs in the front of the HT room!

Mike

PS - I asked him to "save" the av123 RSC200 "file" dimension in case anyone else wants to order in the future.
PS2 - TCA thread for av123 RSC200 CC stands - LINK

Center Speaker Stands - RSC200 - 5-20-09 vers.pdf 39.5849609375k . file

post #205 of 527 Old 05-20-2009, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Mike:

Thanks, Scott

Scott -

Here are some pics.
Let me know if that is what you needed.

Mike
LL
LL

post #206 of 527 Old 05-20-2009, 06:36 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Perfect, thanks.

post #207 of 527 Old 05-21-2009, 04:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I ordered the Sound Anchor Studio CC stand.

Can't wait to see it in place, will you be figuring a way to incorporate the blue noodle

Quote:

2"x2" opening will allow for filling with whatever non-toxins are available to weight the stand.

Oh man, I was hoping you'd get the version that would accept the toxic nuclear waste...
post #208 of 527 Old 05-21-2009, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happytobehere200 View Post

Can't wait to see it in place, will you be figuring a way to incorporate the blue noodle

Oh man, I was hoping you'd get the version that would accept the toxic nuclear waste...

No noodle.
I was thinking of looking for steel or other shot.
Thoughts?

I'll ask SA about "volume" of material I need.
I have a few weeks to look for it.

Mike

post #209 of 527 Old 05-21-2009, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

No noodle.
I was thinking of looking for steel or other shot.
Thoughts?

I'll ask SA about "volume" of material I need.
I have a few weeks to look for it.

Mike

From Sound Anchor:

"We have tried steel shot but the results that we had were not any better than sand. A company called star audio makes a steel fill material that has received good press but we have not tried it ourselves. http://www.starsoundtechnologies.com/micro.html

You will need 300-400 cubic inches to fill your stand. I do not know the cost of this product. A 60 pound bag of clean multipurpose sand will cost less than $5.00 from Home Depot. It is non toxic and will not rust."

From that site:
Micro-Bearing Conductive Steel Fill Material
by Star Sound Technologies, LLC
For Equipment Racks, Loudspeaker Stands and Sistrum Platforms
One bearing, thinner than a human hair and smaller than a grain of sand (.0087 millimeters each), multiplied by many billions provide additional conductive mass. This increased density improves the audible (and inaudible) sound quality and performance of any equipment rack and/or loudspeaker stand by reducing detrimental vibrations.

One quart of Micro-Bearing Conductive Steel weighs in at approximately 9 pounds. Being round in shape, coupled with the extremely small size, permits the mass to become uniform in packing structure with minimal air pockets positioned between the bearings.
Combined with our Science of Resonance Energy Transfer and Audio Points, the Micro-Bearing Conductive Steel produces an incredible high-speed conductive and uniform pathway for resonance (Coulumb's friction) to seek earth's ground.
The sonic benefits abound.

Steel is positioned as a primary conductor of resonance within our science and product designs. NO SAND, NO LEAD and NO RUBBER products, as these substances come from the "absorbent materials" group.
It remains a fact that sand, lead and rubber materials are a solution to treat the negative effects of resonance and vibrations. However, these materials absorb dynamics and micro-dynamics when used with audio and acoustical equipment. They literally soak up and destroy the energies that make the musical presentation exhilarating.

Maintaining and increasing Dynamics within the presentation is a primary goal of all Audio and Videophiles. This raw energy creates the overall excitement and pleasure related to human emotion while listening to a recorded process or live-presentation.

If you currently own a stand that can be mass loaded or are using sand and/or lead as the primary fill material, we highly recommend replacing the absorbent material with Micro-Bearing Conductive Steel.
Adding a uniform conductive mass such as the Micro-Bearing Conductive Steel to your system's formula will increase your listening enjoyment, guaranteed.

How much material do I require?

Simply telephone (toll free) 1-877-668-4332 and have the height and interior diameter of the support rod you intend to fill and we will provide you with the quantity required within minutes.
For triangular, rectangular or unusually shaped support rods, our mechanical engineers will provide you with the correct amount of Micro-Bearing material needed. Leave the mathematics and formulas to us--it's that easy.

$46.99/quart
~9 lbs
"One bearing, thinner than a human hair and smaller than a grain of sand (.0087 millimeters each),"

Per
http://www.metric-conversions.org/vo...dry-quarts.htm

300 in3 = 4.4 qt
400 in3 = 6.0 qt

So let's say 5qt x ~$50/qt = $250 for steel fill. Hmm. Doesn't compute.

Looking at this site:
http://www.precisionreloading.com/steel_shot.htm
Steel Shot

Ship up to 40 LB of Steel Shot via US Mail for $13.00 anywhere in the US!

Zinc Plated Steel Shot

Precision Reloading's Zinc Plated Steel Shot is recommended for all your fowl weather non-toxic- needs. Spherical Zinc Plated Shot delays rusting...

10# (? ~1qt) = $18-21 depending on shot size (smaller = more money)
40# (~ total needed, maybe a little less) = $69-80

+$13 Shipping
-----------------
The cheaper Zn plated shot sounds better than expensive "iron dust" and less messy. I guess if you spill it you use a magnet to clean up?
Hopefully not a speaker magnet!

Thoughts on different fill materials?

Mike

post #210 of 527 Old 05-21-2009, 08:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thoughts on different fill materials?

Mike

Here's what I've used and pros/cons - personal viewpoint.

* Special stuff - tried 2 different things many years ago. While I felt cool it wasn't worth the $

* Cat Liter - Filled speaker pedastals with this. Put a garbage back in stand and pored it in. worked well but dusty and created a mess later in life when I need to make some changes and the bags torn. But for Large Volumes it was a better value the other stuff. Not as dense but good value.

* Sand - I actuall did this before the cat litter and ran into moisture issue. My stuff was in the basement and even though it was a walk out the humidity was high and it caused real problems with rusting a rod that was in the pedastal and warped it. That's what let me to cat liter and bagging.

* Lead shot - We've discussed. BTW, you can get it at Gander Moutain in large bags. I used one per pedastal. Don't know what the cubic size would be compared to yours.

* Steel shot - look at it at Dick's sporting goods and Gander. These are basicailly bb's for bb guns. It was more expensive than lead and I'm not an evironmentalist
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Emotiva Xpa 3 Amplifier , Denon Avr 5308ci Receiver , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Sony Bravia Ex700 Series 60 Inch Lcd With Led Back Lighting Hdtv Kdl 60ex700 , Samsung Bd P2550 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - Ex700 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page