Office Theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-15-2008, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My home office. The Stratocaster copy won Guitar of the Month!

Jamo C809 x2 bi-amped
Jamo C80 sub
JamoC80 center
JamoC80 dipoles x2
Focal JM Labs Cobalt SR880S [7.1]
Yamaha RVX-1800
Sony blu-ray
Onkyo HD-805
Sony 300 CD Jukebox
JVC 1080p 37" LCD
22" V7 LCD
Sherwood Newcastle 7 channel amplifier

HTPC -Asus p5B - Deluxe MB, Q6600 o/c 3.0, Asus 8600 GTS Silent, watercooled, external Toshiba HD player [on the desk], LG blu-ray player, Lite-on DVD burner, Asus Xonar HDAV1.3 sound card.

Next is a Media server!

My home office. Ergohuman chair [replaces the Steelcase Leap]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2008, 11:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Wow, nice home office! So exactly how far away are you from that 37" LCD? Looks like about three feet to me. Your setup in front looks great. I'm wondering how much the TV blocks the sound from the front stage, though?
Old 11-16-2008, 12:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Looks pretty cool but how do you even hear the center channel aand if so, doesn't the soundstage sound odd coming from so far back from the video?
Old 11-16-2008, 02:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZ View Post

Looks pretty cool but how do you even hear the center channel aand if so, doesn't the soundstage sound odd coming from so far back from the video?

When I first decided upon making a office theater, I first thought about placing a 46-52" LCD on the wall. After looking at various models at Best Buy and Sears, I tried to read on the LCD from a distance where my chair would be and couldn't do so without squinting or the use of very large fonts. Since I needed to work, I wanted a large monitor and the 37", 40", and 42" were my choice. I picked the JVC at Circuit City in December of 2007 because of the razor sharp text [How many LCD televisions are bought on that criteria? Probably none!]. I work on the JVC, and route email and internet on the smaller 22" screen. What makes this setup cool is the ability to use the smaller screen for watching movies if I am working on the JVC.

As for soundstage - For music, I use a 2.1 system. I'm very happy with that. For video, I have no problem with the center channel. The voices seems to come from the screen.

I have caught the upgrade bug! Some planned upgrades are:

24" MVA panel LCD for the smaller screen,
media server as soon as 1.5 TB drives have their firmware fixed [this has to go in another room because of the heat - Southern California!],
a slighter larger LCD TV of about 40" -42" because at three feet, I want more screen real estate [I want to be able to work with 8 pt. text. I now use 10 pt. comfortably].

There are two other systems in the house, but I rarely use the them. The office theater is where I spend most of my time. The door closes and I am in a world of my own.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Gilbert View Post

Wow, nice home office! So exactly how far away are you from that 37" LCD? Looks like about three feet to me. Your setup in front looks great. I'm wondering how much the TV blocks the sound from the front stage, though?

When I am working, I am three feet from the LCD. When I am watching a movie, I lean back and am about four and a half feet from the screen. What's great about wireless is being able to have the keyboard rest on the arms of the chairs and now I am able to type and lean back at the same time.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by doinmybestatlast View Post

When I am working, I am three feet from the LCD. When I am watching a movie, I lean back and am about four and a half feet from the screen. What's great about wireless is being able to have the keyboard rest on the arms of the chairs and now I am able to type and lean back at the same time.

You know, I guess that's not so different from our viewing angle. We sit nine feet back - but our screen is six feet wide, so about the same.