It Has Finally Materialized! Here it is... - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 388 Old 11-23-2012, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Yeah no kidding, those speakers are amazing looking. Class all the way. I love the finish. That's one thing I love about higher-end speakers; the attention to detail and build quality. I definitely want to upgrade my speakers now lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 388 Old 01-01-2013, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Happy New Years Dan. Here's to a better 2013 than what we all went through in 2012.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------

post #363 of 388 Old 01-01-2013, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Happy New Year Dan! I sent you out a friends request on Live, let's get some Halo going!

post #364 of 388 Old 01-01-2013, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Happy New Year everyone!!

pcweb, I haven't renewed my LIVE membership yet. I will as soon as I get a chance, I've been really busy with a possible career change, still trying to figure out what I want to do... I'll be in touch!!

post #365 of 388 Old 01-02-2013, 06:33 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Happy new year Dan. smile.gif

Frank

post #366 of 388 Old 01-14-2013, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Happy New Year, ddgtr... This is the last day I use that term. After this, it's "hello." How are things?

post #367 of 388 Old 01-14-2013, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Charles,

Happy New Year to you and everyone else here...

Things are ok, work is a bit hectic, I'm still trying to figure out whether I should go for a career change or not... On the A/V side, just enjoying movies and music. I've also been helping one of my friends with his dedicated room. On the fun side, I don't know whether or not it's going to happen but I really want to do the Miami to Bahamas trip on my jet ski. LOL, call it a midlife crisis.

post #368 of 388 Old 01-21-2013, 09:05 AM

Liked: 10
Just plain AWESOMENESS! Great job, Hopefully I will be there one day.
post #369 of 388 Old 01-21-2013, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post

Thanks Charles,

Happy New Year to you and everyone else here...

Things are ok, work is a bit hectic, I'm still trying to figure out whether I should go for a career change or not... On the A/V side, just enjoying movies and music. I've also been helping one of my friends with his dedicated room. On the fun side, I don't know whether or not it's going to happen but I really want to do the Miami to Bahamas trip on my jet ski. LOL, call it a midlife crisis.

Well it would be if you went without the jet ski...

post #370 of 388 Old 02-06-2013, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

And on your B&W 800 dilemma, they may not like bright recordings or those that emphasize upper frequencies too well. That can also contribute to the bright sound you reported in other threads.

post #371 of 388 Old 02-06-2013, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Charles. The thing is, I only fed it good recordings, many downloaded from HD tracks in 24 bit format. It may be the room or just me.

post #372 of 388 Old 02-06-2013, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Charles. The thing is, I only fed it good recordings, many downloaded from HD tracks in 24 bit format. It may be the room or just me.

So these were digital files fed to the C48's DAC, or another one? And did you try other media (CD, LP)?

post #373 of 388 Old 02-06-2013, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No LP's, we didn't have access to a turntable.

Digital files fed to the C48 via USB, then spdif. These recordings are mine, I'm very familiar with them and have used them to audition many pieces of equipment.

The room is big: 30' x 25' x 11' at least and overall the system sounded incredible: absolutely had no problems filling up the room, accurate, loud, no distortion whatsoever at insane volume levels, very detailed and revealing. Except for what I perceive to be some brightness.

He's also running 3 Fathoms F112's. Thanks to the C48's ability to switch inputs at a touch of a button, we tried to see how the 800's woofers did by themselves vs. running together with the subs. Not even close!! Most the reviews I've read said that you don't need a sub with the 800's and so on. Absolutely not true. The 800's could not pressurize a room this size successfully. The Fathoms add a different dimension to the low end, it's unreal. We had them set to output at probably 20% of capacity and still, they complimented the 800's beautifully. Don't get me wrong, I am very impressed with the 800's and it's a lot of fun dialing this nice system in. Next step is to run REW.

post #374 of 388 Old 03-02-2013, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

On three separate occasions I heard the C2300 preamp in three different systems with different sources. Two of those three were bright-sounding; both contained MC601 amps. The one that wasn't bright had a MC275 tube amp in it. I don't know if there's something going on with the 601s or not, but trying the C48 in another system is a good move. If you can try another preamp in there that would perhaps yield info. Again, everything's new and may need to break in as said earlier. Let us know when you get to the bottom of everything.

post #375 of 388 Old 03-06-2013, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
What's going on Danny? Long time no see!! Very nice to see those sparkling twin JLA's, gotta be putting some thump in your face for sure.

Hope all is well for this new season!! Catch you very soon!!

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat
post #376 of 388 Old 03-18-2013, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

ddgtr,

Has anything happened or improved with your friend's system, since things should have broken in better by now? And did you try the C48 in your own system, as you were thinking? I was curious.

post #377 of 388 Old 03-19-2013, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post

What's going on Danny? Long time no see!! Very nice to see those sparkling twin JLA's, gotta be putting some thump in your face for sure.

Hope all is well for this new season!! Catch you very soon!!

Hi Geoff,

It's good to hear from you. I'd doing all right, how about you? Have you been racing at all?

Later!

post #378 of 388 Old 03-19-2013, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

On three separate occasions I heard the C2300 preamp in three different systems with different sources. Two of those three were bright-sounding; both contained MC601 amps. The one that wasn't bright had a MC275 tube amp in it. I don't know if there's something going on with the 601s or not, but trying the C48 in another system is a good move. If you can try another preamp in there that would perhaps yield info. Again, everything's new and may need to break in as said earlier. Let us know when you get to the bottom of everything.

p
Quote:

ddgtr,

Has anything happened or improved with your friend's system, since things should have broken in better by now? And did you try the C48 in your own system, as you were thinking? I was curious.

Yeah, even after the break in it still sounds the same (to me, anyway...) It's possible the room may have something to do with it, he has no treatments whatsoever and aside from the chairs there is no other furniture. We still haven't tried the C48 in my system, both of us have been busy but it's definitely going to happen fairly soon...

post #379 of 388 Old 03-30-2013, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

As for whether it's you or the room that accounts for the brightness you hear, either is possible. I will mention that, over the Christmas holidays, in that audition with the C2300 and the MC275, I heard a C50 (same audio circuit as the C48) paired with an MC303 (I think) driving Revel speakers. That sounded really nice, not bright, not to me. But the room did have some treatments, and Revels are very nice, a bit to the warm side like my Mirages.

Perhaps you could try different speaker cable or interconnect to see if the sound changes with the C48/MC601 setup. Throw a CD in there also.

post #380 of 388 Old 03-31-2013, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Geoff,

It's good to hear from you. I'd doing all right, how about you? Have you been racing at all?

Later!

Hey Danny, doing good here!! Just chasing that illusive sponsorship, looks like another no go for 2013. You never know, I could pick up a ride in the middle of the season and get set for next year by having the bike all set up and ready to GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Have a great Easter

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat
post #381 of 388 Old 06-15-2013, 03:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Back to the C48 thing. B&W speakers can be very revealing, as you know by now. The combination with a C48 could be a bit bright or edgy. Many use tubes to smooth the sound out some with B&Ws in their systems.

post #382 of 388 Old 06-17-2013, 03:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 169
A question on your room construction. Someone told me that your space was upstairs. What, if anything, did you do to the floor to remove the possibility of sound traveling downstairs via the floor.

Starting in August, I will be moving my theater from a basement in my current home to the upstairs in my new home so sound isolation is a must. I am aware of double dry wall and green glue (and found some other things I can do to the walls to isolate them) but have only found one product that goes on the floor. The theater will be very near the master bedroom downstairs so I really need to find an effective (but not mega expensive) solution for the floor.

Love your theater by the way.

R 8:28

post #383 of 388 Old 07-04-2013, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Back to the C48 thing. B&W speakers can be very revealing, as you know by now. The combination with a C48 could be a bit bright or edgy. Many use tubes to smooth the sound out some with B&Ws in their systems.

Charles, sorry for the late response, I've been away and just got back!

I think you are right, although we never took the time to swap preamps, I've heard other people say the same thing. Eventually, I'll get around to do it, I'm very interested in how the sound will be affected, if any. I trust all is good with you?

post #384 of 388 Old 07-04-2013, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

A question on your room construction. Someone told me that your space was upstairs. What, if anything, did you do to the floor to remove the possibility of sound traveling downstairs via the floor.

Starting in August, I will be moving my theater from a basement in my current home to the upstairs in my new home so sound isolation is a must. I am aware of double dry wall and green glue (and found some other things I can do to the walls to isolate them) but have only found one product that goes on the floor. The theater will be very near the master bedroom downstairs so I really need to find an effective (but not mega expensive) solution for the floor.

Love your theater by the way.

audioguy, I apologize for the late reply...

The room is not upstairs. We have 2 garages, both attached to the house but separate. One of them became this room, I built an inside wall, more like a cage if you will. The garage floor is concrete slab (as is the rest of the house) but I ran 2x4's across it with rubber spacing in between them and the concrete floor. Everything is glued in addition to screws, no nails were used. The room is fairly close to our master bedroom, my wife goes to bed early and likes quiet. There is no sound travel but she can still feel a bit of bass during bass heavy songs or movies, but it's very mild and she can still fall asleep. For me it's huge, when we didn't have the room I almost needed subtitles to watch movies late at night.

Regards

post #385 of 388 Old 07-05-2013, 02:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Charles, sorry for the late response, I've been away and just got back!

I think you are right, although we never took the time to swap preamps, I've heard other people say the same thing. Eventually, I'll get around to do it, I'm very interested in how the sound will be affected, if any. I trust all is good with you?

I'm still settling in with the C2300 and the likelihood I'll keep it is increasing, as the tweaks I've made have borne some fruit. And it pays to be careful not to blame the preamp if a particular recording is poor, I find. Revealing systems can and will expose warts on less-than-ideal recordings.

I'm supposed to be off next week, and am looking forward to getting some clean-up done in the apartment and hoping to rest.

post #386 of 388 Old 11-28-2013, 02:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Happy Thanksgiving Danny

post #387 of 388 Old 12-12-2013, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sexy Speakers, I wander if it gives one a orgasmic sound., Congrat on the room looks very thought out. Neat and well put together.

Home Theatre: Onkyo PR SC 5509, ATI 3007 Danley SH50, Danley SH69, Danley SH100 (Rear), Seaton Subwoofer X 2, Custom Made Acoustic Panels and Bass Traps.

2 Channel System: Philharmonics 3, GD Audio Master 2 Mono Blocks, GD Audio Master 1 Pre-Amp. Wireworld Eclipse Gold 5 Silver XLR, Clear Day...
post #388 of 388 Old 12-25-2013, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Merry Christmas brother

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Pioneer Elite Pro 151fd 60 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Onkyo Tx Sr805 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver Silver , Polk Audio Owm5 Multi Purpose Home Theater Speaker White , Polk Audio Owm3 On Wall Speaker Pair White , Pioneer Bdp 51fd Bonusview Blu Ray Player , Harmony 880 Advanced Universal Remote
Gear in this thread - 151fd by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page