It Has Finally Materialized! Here it is... - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 388 Old 01-07-2009, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 160
I just have to say that your setup/room is quite impressive, I just took another look and from top to bottom, from hardware to software all awesome.

DJoel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 388 Old 01-08-2009, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Finally got a chance to install the DAC. I moved the BD player on top of the preamp and inserted the DAC instead:

Hello Dan.

Congrats on the addition of the new Bryston DAC! Do you hear an audible difference with foobar2000 running thru the Bryston compared to the original configuration?! And the bar looks great!

Regards.

"Chance favors only the prepared mind. "Louis Pasteur"

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #33 of 388 Old 01-10-2009, 03:35 PM

Thanks for the compliments. I ran across your setup the other night. You've got a great room there with a lot of nice equipment from what I've read about the stuff so far. I need to spend some time checking out that Odyssey Candela. I'd love to get my hands on a good tube preamp. That Pass Labs X250 looks amazing and specs out close to the XPA-2. I wonder how they compare?
post #34 of 388 Old 01-10-2009, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Gilbert View Post

ddgtr,
... So the name of that program is foobar? It looks very nice, much better than what I use (Windows Media!). I agree that using digital out of the PC (our CDs are in WAV format) into the Onkyo sounds great. Looks like you have plenty of digital inputs on that D/A, I like it!

Hi Aaron,
Yes, it's called foobar2000. I really like it because of its ease of use, it's not memory resident, and it only does what you tell it to and nothing more. Highly customizable and plays everything. Tons of options. Free download.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

I just have to say that your setup/room is quite impressive, I just took another look and from top to bottom, from hardware to software all awesome.
DJoel

Thanks Djoel, you are being too kind!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldgibson76 View Post

Hello Dan.

Congrats on the addition of the new Bryston DAC! Do you hear an audible difference with foobar2000 running thru the Bryston compared to the original configuration?! And the bar looks great!
Regards.

Thanks ld,
Fortunately for my sanity I do hear a difference. Also keep in mind that I maybe partial to my system.... I don't claim to have very sensitive hearing or what not and at the same time I'm trying to avoid commonly used words to describe what I'm hearing but the best way to describe it would be very distinct separation in voice/instruments, well defined placement of instruments within the soundstage, very clear overall sound and just that tiny bit of warmth to take it to the next level. I'm particularly happy with the midrange, but it's what the GRs are known for...

Before the DAC I was either streaming FLAC from my Cowon PMP or playing cds via my Panny BD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evalese View Post

Thanks for the compliments. I ran across your setup the other night. You've got a great room there with a lot of nice equipment from what I've read about the stuff so far. I need to spend some time checking out that Odyssey Candela. I'd love to get my hands on a good tube preamp. That Pass Labs X250 looks amazing and specs out close to the XPA-2. I wonder how they compare?

Thanks evalese... Yeah the Candela has been a real surprise from the first moment I inserted it into my system. The warmth and clarity of sound is remarkable and it complements the solid state amp very nicely, it's a great combo. I must admit I was nervous because I didn't audition it but it worked out perfectly. I didn't get a chance to listen to the XPA-2 but from what I'm hearing it's a super nice piece of gear especially if you factor in the price. Comparing 2 anything would be really really hard as same conditions, source and gear must be used...

I really worked hard to get a decent 2 channel going and I finally think it's paying off...

I meant to ask you, how are the glass shelves taking the weight of the amps?? My amp weighs over 110lb, so glass was out of question although I really like the look of your racks...

Regards
post #35 of 388 Old 01-12-2009, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Greetings, ddgtr!

Just wanted to stop by with a big CONGRATS on a most impressive setup. I want one just like it when I grow up! Seriously man, it's absolutely fantastic! And I'm with you 100% on your sentiment regarding the VCR--never give that puppy up...especially when it's a classic JVC. (Gotta love that Elijah Craig too, by the way!)

Here's to happy listening (and viewing)... bravo, my friend!

Panasonic PT-AX200U

Da-Lite Model B 106" HCMW
Sony KDS-60A3000

VIP 3D Theater Plus Converter w/ MonsterVision Max 3D Eyewear
Onkyo TX-SR805 (v1.08 w/DSP & HDMI Updates)
Oppo BDP-103
Sony PS3 Slim (v4.50)
Toshiba HD-A35 (v4.0)
Polk Audio RTi8 / CSi5 / FXi3
Boston 595x Subwoofers

My DVD Collection

post #36 of 388 Old 01-12-2009, 11:46 AM

They say those glass shelves are rated at 50 lbs for the sides, so I gave it a shot. The bottom shelf is resting on the steel frame instead of screws, so I was fairly sure the 75 lbs or so wouldn't be a stretch. I was preparing for an ungodly crack the first time I (gently) set one down. At 110 lbs, I can't see it surviving yours. I probably would've considered the MPS-2 (listed at 115 lbs) if I could've.
post #37 of 388 Old 01-12-2009, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

BasicBlak,

What a pleasant surprise!! I appreciate your comments, and thanks again for all the great help you keep providing in the 805 thread!

If you ever come up north drop by and we'll have a shot of that EC or something similar...
post #38 of 388 Old 01-13-2009, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post

BasicBlak,

What a pleasant surprise!! I appreciate your comments, and thanks again for all the great help you keep providing in the 805 thread!

If you ever come up north drop by and we'll have a shot of that EC or something similar...

Think nothing of it, bud! Always a pleasure helping out other enthusiasts. (Believe me, this hobby has me learning just as much as I may be contributing.)

May very well take you up on that EC shot one day. When I saw the bottle in your pics, a line from "Goodfellas" immediately came to mind (the prison scene when the old guy asks how his cellmates want their steaks cooked, and one of them indicates medium-rare): "Hmm...an aristocrat!"

Panasonic PT-AX200U

Da-Lite Model B 106" HCMW
Sony KDS-60A3000

VIP 3D Theater Plus Converter w/ MonsterVision Max 3D Eyewear
Onkyo TX-SR805 (v1.08 w/DSP & HDMI Updates)
Oppo BDP-103
Sony PS3 Slim (v4.50)
Toshiba HD-A35 (v4.0)
Polk Audio RTi8 / CSi5 / FXi3
Boston 595x Subwoofers

My DVD Collection

post #39 of 388 Old 01-14-2009, 09:58 PM

Nice slim line set you got, wish mine was as neat and tidy as yours, mines incomplete tho, slowly getting there.
post #40 of 388 Old 01-22-2009, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Hello Dan.

Man, your setup is sweet! I just had to put it front and center again!
Any closer to getting the new Monitor Audio Center channel?
I have a bead on a Klipsch Reference RC64. This Center channel is a beast!

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/rc-64.aspx

And it will just fit where my RC35 resides.
But, I must admit, the Marantz amp has enhanced the performance of my RC35.

I read in a previous post that you plan on setting up a 5.1 system in the living room for the wife. Man, I did that immediately after I set up my system downstairs. I put together a system in the family room consisting of some of my older equipment:

Samsung LN-S3251D LCD 720P
Yamaha RX-V3000 (a 50lb. beast of a receiver back in it's heyday!)
Sony DVPNC875 DVD Changer
Marantz DV4500 for CD playback
Mitsubishi HS-U746 SVHS VCR
Verizon Fios DCT6200 HD STB
Playstation 2
Panamax M4300-EX power center
Polk Audio surround pkg: RTi70 towers; CS400i CC; FXi3 surrounds and a Velodyne CHT12 subwoofer.

Mike, it's not a bad system either. It's all older stuff, but it can compete with a lot systems that are posted on these threads.
She can now watch Lifetime and Idol in surround sound in her own environment. But she's a keeper. She digs all of the action flicks, her favorite being the Bourne Trilogy!

Regards.

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #41 of 388 Old 01-22-2009, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any closer to getting the new Monitor Audio Center channel?
I have a bead on a Klipsch Reference RC64. This Center channel is a beast!

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/rc-64.aspx

And it will just fit where my RC35 resides.
But, I must admit, the Marantz amp has enhanced the performance of my RC35.

I read in a previous post that you plan on setting up a 5.1 system in the living room for the wife. Man, I did that immediately after I set up my system downstairs. I put together a system in the family room consisting of some of my older equipment:

Samsung LN-S3251D LCD 720P
Yamaha RX-V3000 (a 50lb. beast of a receiver back in it's heyday!)
Sony DVPNC875 DVD Changer
Marantz DV4500 for CD playback
Mitsubishi HS-U746 SVHS VCR
Verizon Fios DCT6200 HD STB
Playstation 2
Panamax M4300-EX power center
Polk Audio surround pkg: RTi70 towers; CS400i CC; FXi3 surrounds and a Velodyne CHT12 subwoofer.

Mike, it's not a bad system either. It's all older stuff, but it can compete with a lot systems that are posted on these threads.
She can now watch Lifetime and Idol in surround sound in her own environment. But she's a keeper. She digs all of the action flicks, her favorite being the Bourne Trilogy!

Regards.

THe RC64 looks insane!!

About the MA center, it's probably going to be a few months. I have a few other changes that require more immediate attention. A crossover (Aaron has given me some great advice) and my HTPC which has given me nothing but trouble - pops, crackles and hiss noises streaming music to the dac. Approx. 3 hours a night for the past week, explored every possibility, learned more than I'll ever need to know about computers and finally figured it out: I unplugged the pc from the wall and plugged it into the Panamax 5400. Bam, just like that all the noise artifacts were gone!! It just goes to show, sometimes we look everywhere except at the simplest things.

I have just ordered a wireless keyboard and mouse, inserted the pc into the lineup and will take pictures once everything's in again. My friends are coming on Sunday to hook up the internet and telephone in the game room. I'll post more pics once it's all done.

Say, your secondary system is really nice!!! You've got to post some pics in your thread!!

I started to put together a 5.1 in the living room for a few reasons: wife has been pretty supportive of my ht room, so I thought I'd do something nice for her... Of course, my HT needs come first so she's got to be patient for a while longer until my room is done (if ever)... Oh, and I always worry that she gets the power up initiation sequence wrong... The other reason is our 2 year old baby girl loves to go up to the Monitors and poke at the cones with her little but destructive pointing finger 2300 sq ft of house and she's got to go for that one shiny cone! The good thing is that room is detached from the main house so no more baby girl allowed... until she can understand and successfully apply HT manners...

I'll take some pics of the living room setup once I hang the tv...

Cheers!
post #42 of 388 Old 01-22-2009, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
That is one sweet setup you've got! Gotta love that Pass Labs amp and Kuro display.

Has to be one of the cleanest looking setups I've seen. Very nice!

Seth
post #43 of 388 Old 02-16-2009, 06:08 PM

Greetings ddgtr,

Wow !!! Awesome set up. Gotta love hard wood floors !!

When our house was built in 94, we had Paradyme do the wiring and design of a dedicated media room. Have a 61" Sony XBR RP in there with a dead power supply - not worth fixing anymore. Not sure what to do with it, but the top and bottom is rosewood.

Totally cool theater room !!!! Great job !!!

BTW - who's the samurai in the picture by the wet bar ??
post #44 of 388 Old 02-16-2009, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoyasak View Post

Greetings ddgtr,

Wow !!! Awesome set up. Gotta love hard wood floors !!

When our house was built in 94, we had Paradyme do the wiring and design of a dedicated media room. Have a 61" Sony XBR RP in there with a dead power supply - not worth fixing anymore. Not sure what to do with it, but the top and bottom is rosewood.

Totally cool theater room !!!! Great job !!!

BTW - who's the samurai in the picture by the wet bar ??

Hi,

Thank you for the kind words... And sorry to hear about your set, it's really depressing to have a nice piece of gear that goes bad...

The samurai in the picture is Sakamoto Ryoma, and he was a fighter and a poet. He was one of the first to accept and practice Western customs in a then feudal Japan. He was from Tosa, a region where one of my best friends' family is originally from. We like Sakamoto because he was really cool, if you look closely he is wearing western boots (unheard of during that time) and under his kimono he was packing a pistol. He was assasinated as his ideas were too radical for that time. THere is way too much info, here is a good article that explains it a lot better than I can...
http://www.fightingarts.com/reading/article.php?id=309

That particular picture was brought from Japan by my friend, and he also knows a lot of stories about him that cannot be found anywhere else...

Thanks again,
Dan
post #45 of 388 Old 02-17-2009, 06:24 PM

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the info on Sakamoto Ryoma...I've actually never heard of him. I grew up with stories of Yagyuu Jubei and Miyamoto Musashi - more of the 16th century era (also heard stories of Oda Nobunaga). Very interesting about the precursor to Mitsubishi. Have you ever watched "Yagyuu Ichizoku No Inbou" ??

In a response to a question you had in the 9G elite kuro thread about antennas...I've been using a cheapy RCA HD antenna I got from Fry's for about $30. I'm getting every HD local. The only channel I have problems with is channel 13.1. Sometimes, if somebody walks by the antenna (sitting on top of a speaker) the picture will freeze and pixelate, but return to normal in a few seconds. I live in the Pocket area near I5 and the Sacramento River. Not sure where the stations are though.

Thanks for all the info.
Jason
post #46 of 388 Old 02-17-2009, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Jason,

I have not heard of the movie you mentioned above. Is it available in region 1 format? I will try to google it later on. We watch basically everything from Kurosawa, big fans of him and Mifune. Especially "The Seven Samurai". Shintaro Katsu in Zatoichi, and of course Beat Takeshi's Zatoichi. Azumi is another all time favorite... On the wild side, "Samurai Champloo" - masterpiece in its own right. Lone Wolf and Cub; Samurai Trilogy - again Mifune was simply amazing while playing Musashi... Oh, there is a new one I believe the director's last name is Nagasaki, movie is called Kuro Obi. I thought it was pretty good though not historically accurate.

THanks for the info on the RCA HD antenna. We don't watch much tv, except for 24 which we wouldn't miss for the world... so it kind of sucks paying $50 a month for Directv programming just for that. I kind of lost hope finding a good HD antenna but now that I've got a couple of suggestions I'll try again... We live on the opposite side of town from you. You are fairly close to most broadcasting stations...

Regards,
Dan
post #47 of 388 Old 02-23-2009, 03:06 PM

Liked: 11
This is just awesome ddgtr. It will take some doing to get through your thread and take in all the info here. For now I will tell you that this is just awesome, I'll set aside the time to read up but judging from what I've seen so far, again awesome! I came to your thread before and remember thinking I might come back when I have time, now I will. This is the kind of setup I show my GF and tell her "this guy is really into it, I'm not into it that much!" She doesn't believe a word!
LOL
post #48 of 388 Old 02-27-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:

Odyssey Candela tube (12AU7) preamp with HT bypass - one of my favorite pieces of equip. together with Pass and the Bryston DAC...
Pass Labs x250.5 2 channel power amplifier 250wpc
Shunyata Venom Power Cord for the Pass amp
Bryston BDA-1 DAC (see pic at bottom of page)
Streaming FLAC files from my pc using Foobar2000

You know ddgtr I am really, REALLY impressed here. It's taking me awhile to take all this in so I guess I'll have to start with a couple of questions, please indulge me:

Like me you are streaming .flac but I gather you are using a pc or laptop to stream. I am using the squeezebox and a wireless network as you know. How is that working for you? I have been thinking about trying Foobar 2000 but am so confused with .flac tags I stuck to the folder system!

What is the Jensen IsoMax isolation transformer?
The HT bypass on the pre, how does that work?
Some of your equipment I am not familiar as it appears to be really high end. I do know about Pass Labs, they are big in the DIY scene. Did you DIY the amp?
Freakin' awesome!
post #49 of 388 Old 02-28-2009, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Hello Dan.

With all of the different sources I have in my system, the one thing I do not have for music is a streaming device. OK, there is the XBox 360 Pro with the 60GB HD. But I really do not want to use my gaming system for music playback. I've been considering the AppleTV. Mainly because I have wellover 5000 songs in iTunes with the majority in lossless format. I want to first start with a streaming device and then eventually acquire a standalone DAC. Are you familiar with the AppleTV and if so, what is your opinion of the device?

Regards.

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #50 of 388 Old 02-28-2009, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hello Dan.

With all of the different sources I have in my system, the one thing I do not have for music is a streaming device. OK, there is the XBox 360 Pro with the 60GB HD. But I really do not want to use my gaming system for music playback. I've been considering the AppleTV. Mainly because I have wellover 5000 songs in iTunes with the majority in lossless format. I want to first start with a streaming device and then eventually acquire a standalone DAC. Are you familiar with the AppleTV and if so, what is your opinion of the device?

Regards.

Hi ld,

I am not very familiar with AppleTv... I must be honest and tell you that because of all the restrictions, proprietary formats and refusal to play other codecs I am not a fan of i-products. Therefore, my opinion is very biased... From a music standpoint, I like flexibility, being able to convert among codecs, write tags and so forth. Apple prohibits it. It's impossible to drag-and-drop files back and forth from a pc to an ipod touch without first going through itunes. I must say I take pride in the fact that most of my friends that own a "Rockbox-able " ipod have already - well, Rockbox-ed it. My feelings/opinions are exactly the same towards all Microsoft products...

As far as HD programming goes, I'd be interested to know whether they're going to support 1080p or not. Lots of "soft HD" content out there marketed as HD...

As you know, I am using Foobar2000. Totally free software. Drag and drop capabilities. Highly customizable and extremely flexible. Doesn't do anything "behind your back", only what you tell it to. Plays everything except for protected content. Most importantly, one of the most powerful players out there. Modular in the sense that you can only install what you want or need to use. Written and maintained by a lot of dedicated people motivated only by the satisfaction of having created something great as opposed to making money (not that there is anything wrong with that, mind you...) On the downside, it may take a little to get used to it and to the multitude of features it provides...

But again, these are just my impressions on AppleTv and I may be dead wrong on some of the issues above. For that, I apologize in advance. I do think that it could be a very sophisticated tool in one's system.

I sense that major or at least some upgrades are in sight for you system...

Regards,
Dan
post #51 of 388 Old 02-28-2009, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mconley1015 View Post

You know ddgtr I am really, REALLY impressed here. It's taking me awhile to take all this in so I guess I'll have to start with a couple of questions, please indulge me:

Like me you are streaming .flac but I gather you are using a pc or laptop to stream. I am using the squeezebox and a wireless network as you know. How is that working for you? I have been thinking about trying Foobar 2000 but am so confused with .flac tags I stuck to the folder system!

What is the Jensen IsoMax isolation transformer?
The HT bypass on the pre, how does that work?
Some of your equipment I am not familiar as it appears to be really high end. I do know about Pass Labs, they are big in the DIY scene. Did you DIY the amp?
Freakin' awesome!

Thanks!!

I am using a pc to stream flac to my dac and onward from there. Like I was telling ld in the post right above this one, it's working great for me. And it's really not that confusing with the tags. On the contrary, I found foobar to be extremely easy to edit tags. And you can also use the folder system, that's how I do it.

The Jensen isolation transformer has a couple of functions: to reduce potential noise caused by say ground loops and in my case I use it also as a converter - it allows me to go from rca on my preamp to xlr (amplifier).

The HT bypass allows me to go from my receiver's pre out fronts to the preamp's HT line in. When you do that, the preamp's volume control is disabled and the receiver's volume takes over. It's actually a really nice feature... You can do without it but it would be more work to match up the pre and receiver's volumes.

My Pass Labs amp is not DIY. I do not posess the knowledge to take on such a task, especially when it comes to my listening gear. It is a great sounding piece of equipment that not many people can say bad things about. It is hand made here locally by Mr. Nelson Pass and his crew who I had the pleasure to meet, their small facility is only about 45 minutes away from my house. Quite an experience - Mr. Pass himself came out to greet me, I got a tour of the facility (OMG!!!) and got my amp checked out and biased up. I offered to pay but they'd take no money... How is this for warranty service?? If I were to describe the sound: very neutral and transparent, great bass response and just overall clarity. Very revealing, also, which I don't mind a bit.

Hope that my rambling made at least some sense, please don't hesitate to ask for any clarification...

Cheers!

Dan
post #52 of 388 Old 03-01-2009, 06:35 AM

Quote:
It is hand made here locally by Mr. Nelson Pass and his crew who I had the pleasure to meet, their small facility is only about 45 minutes away from my house. Quite an experience - Mr. Pass himself came out to greet me, I got a tour of the facility (OMG!!!) and got my amp checked out and biased up. I offered to pay but they'd take no money... How is this for warranty service??

That is the kind of CS that puts a company front and center with me when I am researching a product, thanks for mentioning that. All too often when we buy we forget about that and learn when we need CS that it basically sucks. ld had a little discussion about this regarding TVs, very important. I am actually a bit surprised we still actually manufacture anything like that in this country. Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions ddgtr.

Your Bryston takes USB 2 Input, that is nice. I believe the shop I bought the LiTe DAC from can add and configure that for me but it's the shipping back and forth I don't like. Must be nice having the amp manufacturer not too far away.

Quote:
XBOX 360 in sucky white color, HDMI-less and louder than a police siren

Have you considered PS3?

Your system is top notch ddgtr, I'll be back!
Mike
post #53 of 388 Old 03-01-2009, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mconley1015 View Post

That is the kind of CS that puts a company front and center with me when I am researching a product, thanks for mentioning that. All too often when we buy we forget about that and learn when we need CS that it basically sucks. ld had a little discussion about this regarding TVs, very important. I am actually a bit surprised we still actually manufacture anything like that in this country. Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions ddgtr.

Your Bryston takes USB 2 Input, that is nice. I believe the shop I bought the LiTe DAC from can add and configure that for me but it's the shipping back and forth I don't like. Must be nice having the amp manufacturer not too far away.

Have you considered PS3?

Hi Mike,

Yes, one of the reasons I went with this lineup for my 2 channel was the fact that the amp, preamp and dac are hand made and CS is top notch. At Odyssey, both Klaus and Alex take extra care in dealing with their customers... Bryston is the same. Not to mention the fact that all take extra pride in their work and sound is their passion! I know I've had to cough up some extra dollars - sacrifices had to be made as my financial situation while not in poor shape is not rosy either - but for me it was worth it.

PS3 has been on my mind for a while now, for gaming... I use the 360 for one game only (I'm a sucker for all Halo games)...

Thanks,
Dan
post #54 of 388 Old 03-01-2009, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post

Hi ld,

I am not very familiar with AppleTv... I must be honest and tell you that because of all the restrictions, proprietary formats and refusal to play other codecs I am not a fan of i-products. Therefore, my opinion is very biased... From a music standpoint, I like flexibility, being able to convert among codecs, write tags and so forth. Apple prohibits it. It's impossible to drag-and-drop files back and forth from a pc to an ipod touch without first going through itunes. I must say I take pride in the fact that most of my friends that own a "Rockbox-able " ipod have already - well, Rockbox-ed it. My feelings/opinions are exactly the same towards all Microsoft products...

As far as HD programming goes, I'd be interested to know whether they're going to support 1080p or not. Lots of "soft HD" content out there marketed as HD...

As you know, I am using Foobar2000. Totally free software. Drag and drop capabilities. Highly customizable and extremely flexible. Doesn't do anything "behind your back", only what you tell it to. Plays everything except for protected content. Most importantly, one of the most powerful players out there. Modular in the sense that you can only install what you want or need to use. Written and maintained by a lot of dedicated people motivated only by the satisfaction of having created something great as opposed to making money (not that there is anything wrong with that, mind you...) On the downside, it may take a little to get used to it and to the multitude of features it provides...

But again, these are just my impressions on AppleTv and I may be dead wrong on some of the issues above. For that, I apologize in advance. I do think that it could be a very sophisticated tool in one's system.

I sense that major or at least some upgrades are in sight for you system...

Regards,
Dan

Hello Dan.

Thank you for your candor regarding the Apple products. I surely appreciate your stand when it comes to Apple and MS.
I am really curious about Foobar2000. I'm going to research it and get back to you. Definitely an alternative to the obvious but limited formats that are available.
Thanks again for the input.

Regards.

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #55 of 388 Old 03-01-2009, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 106
Absolutely stunning, WELL DONE
post #56 of 388 Old 03-04-2009, 10:30 AM

where did you find those little stands that your reciever is on those would be great for what im tring to do
post #57 of 388 Old 03-04-2009, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
You can find them at racksandstands.com
post #58 of 388 Old 03-04-2009, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantera1430 View Post

where did you find those little stands that your reciever is on those would be great for what im tring to do

I had someone weld them to my specs...

New pic with the music server by the sub...

post #59 of 388 Old 03-17-2009, 05:16 PM

Beautiful! I love your room. Makes me want to get out of my apt even more!
post #60 of 388 Old 03-19-2009, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Hello Dan!

Wow! What a nice photo. Even in the dark, your system looks awesome!
Congrats on the addition of the server. I can't believe I missed the original posting of this photo.

Dan, if I'm ever in the Bay area, I would love the opportunity to see your system up close. Again, what you have accomplished with your setup, I can only imagine with mine. I really do not think the folks that have viewed your thread really appreciate or understand the configuration.

To the posters viewing this thread: Please recognize that Dan has merged two different configurations into one synergistic setup. Allowing for a seamless transition from multi-channel to a dedicated audiophile-like 2 channel configuration. Not a surround sound system that can act as a 2 channel setup. Many have tried, few have accomplished it! And to get the performance that he is most likely experiencing, 2 different systems in two different rooms would be the norm.
Not to mention, the room is beautiful!

And I think I'm going to try Foobar2000. Thanks for the suggestion.

Bravo Dan, Bravo!

Regards.

ldgibson76

The Setup
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Pioneer Elite Pro 151fd 60 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Onkyo Tx Sr805 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver Silver , Polk Audio Owm5 Multi Purpose Home Theater Speaker White , Polk Audio Owm3 On Wall Speaker Pair White , Pioneer Bdp 51fd Bonusview Blu Ray Player , Harmony 880 Advanced Universal Remote
Gear in this thread - 151fd by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page