post #181 of 388 Old 09-30-2010, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by btf1980 View Post

Awesome setup! That room must get really toasty between the pass labs power amp & the onkyo unit. Winter is coming, the warmth could come in handy.

Haha, don't forget the Kuro!! I always thought Onkyo was hot but the Pass runs circles around it!! I'll tell you though, the hotter it gets the sweeter it sounds!!

It's not too bad actually...

Thanks for the props!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 388 Old 09-30-2010, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge View Post

Feel free to call on me if you need any help working with REW.

Thanks Tim, I will take you up on this... It looks like I've run into a few little problems but I want to read all the help files first to make sure I haven't overlooked anything.
post #183 of 388 Old 09-30-2010, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

ddgtr, are you using stock power cords or aftermarket ones?

Charles, sorry for the late response...

For my amp I'm using a Shunyata Venom power cord. The rest of my components have stock cords. As per the folks at Pass the stock cord should be just as good. I haven't had time to do a blind test vs the Shunyata, but I will because I'm curious.

Regards
post #184 of 388 Old 09-30-2010, 02:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Hi double D.

Now that you've "broken" in your awesome new room, what are your thoughts? Opinions? Have you cranked some tunes or had a chance to watch any good movies? Iron Man 2 is coming out Tuesday. I hear the LFE is off da hook!

P.S. How about hooking a brotha up with that jalepeno ginger crab recipe?

Wabo, what is up my friend!!

Absolutely! The treatments have made a huge difference. It was really bad before, flutter echoes and major bass standing waves in the corner. I still have to work on finding a sweet spot for the sub, but I'm getting closer.

System sounds fantastic especially since I made quite a few other improvements, the new amp and the John Kenny hiFace transport. What really made my day was when a recording engineer came over and he asked me if he can come back with some of his favorite cd's to listen to on the system.

Tell you what: I'm gonna post the recipe, but (looking left and right) do not tell anyone else, ok??

Here it is, and enjoy!!

Ingredients:
- fresh live crab, shrimp, clams
- ginger, garlic, shallots, jalapenos, green onions (I use home grown garlic)
- chicken or veggie broth, clam juice, a bit or corn starch, soy sauce, very little oyster sauce
- oil of choice (I like cold pressed olive oil, with a bit of cold pressed peanut oil for flavor)

1. Humanely kill the crab. Proper technique must be employed to ensure a quick passing. Clean and crack it.
2. Run the clams under cold water for a while, clean the shrimp (you can make this dish without the clams, shrimp or both)
3. Chop then pan fry the ginger, garlic, jalapenos and shallots together, then add the clams. When the clams pop open, take everything out and set aside.
4. Stir fry the shrimp, but make sure not to overcook them, then take them out and set aside.
5. Stir fry the crab, then add the chicken broth, clam juice, a bit of organic corn starch, soy sauce and very little oyster sauce. Add the shrimp and mix.
6. When the mixture and sauce start getting thicker, add the clams, ginger, garlic and shallots you cooked earlier.

Not too hard, and fun too...

Peace.
post #185 of 388 Old 09-30-2010, 03:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post

Charles, sorry for the late response...

For my amp I'm using a Shunyata Venom power cord. The rest of my components have stock cords. As per the folks at Pass the stock cord should be just as good. I haven't had time to do a blind test vs the Shunyata, but I will because I'm curious.

Regards

This is an important post, because the Venom 3 is on my short list. I have been in thought on cords because one of my new amps is plugged into a power strip to extend it to my main line conditioner (LCR2400), which works but is awkward. To use the Venom, though, I'd have to get the extension cord also, as I'd need a 3m cord and the Venom comes in 1.5m only. My other candidates are PS Audio Jewel and Wireworld Stratus 5, both of which come in 3m.

But (heresy!) I am more concerned with practical than sonic considerations. If the Venom offers good flexibility, decent gauge (12AWG, I believe) and shielding, then it would work for me. I also consider getting standard 12AWG cords and being done with it, then perhaps the Venom extension cord so I can plug the LCR2400 into the wall, rather than chain it to my other conditioner with a 14AWG cord (HT1210).

What gauge is the stock Pass cord, by the way? And did they mean the stock cord should be just as good as the Venom, or any aftermarket cord?
post #186 of 388 Old 10-13-2010, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member

I've discovered that the Venom 3 power cords now come in a 2m configuration, if you're interested, as well as the custom lengths. Also, TAS calls the Venom one of the greatest bargains in high-end audio in the latest issue, with a review on the way.
post #187 of 388 Old 10-27-2010, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Nice looking setup! I was wondering how the polk OWM speakers integrate with your other speakers. There aren't a whole lot of reviews on them out there, so was wondering how they sound?
post #188 of 388 Old 10-27-2010, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattcc22 View Post

Nice looking setup! I was wondering how the polk OWM speakers integrate with your other speakers. There aren't a whole lot of reviews on them out there, so was wondering how they sound?

Thanks Matt!

I first heard them over at my friend's house while watching "This Is It" and I was really impressed by how good they sounded and how well they "kept up" with the movie. My friend uses them with a Klipsch front and no problem there, either.

I have a limited surround budget since my 2 channel rig is eating up all the "play" funds, lol... So with that in mind, they are the perfect choice for me. I got them from the Polk store on ebay, refurbished/open box they say but I could swear they were brand new.

Cheers
post #189 of 388 Old 10-28-2010, 12:17 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Whoa ho!! absolutely fantastic ddgtr I really like that well done mate 10/10 from me buddy. Bet the treatments made a difference and they look great.

Frank
post #190 of 388 Old 10-28-2010, 12:20 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

Wabo, thanks a bunch!! Listen, just keep driving, don't worry about the food and booze, you know ol' ddgtr has got that covered!! Just pick up our forum friends (Frank's gotta fly), the jalepeno ginger crab with clams is getting cold!!!

Oh man that looks nice!!

Frank
post #191 of 388 Old 10-28-2010, 03:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Matt!

I first heard them over at my friend's house while watching "This Is It" and I was really impressed by how good they sounded and how well they "kept up" with the movie. My friend uses them with a Klipsch front and no problem there, either.

I have a limited surround budget since my 2 channel rig is eating up all the "play" funds, lol... So with that in mind, they are the perfect choice for me. I got them from the Polk store on ebay, refurbished/open box they say but I could swear they were brand new.

Cheers

Nothing wrong with 2 channel. . .
post #192 of 388 Old 10-30-2010, 05:31 PM

Liked: 10
Out of control. I remember your first setup from a few years ago. you have inspired me for my next project when i finally get my house sold.

congrats! you deserve it!
post #193 of 388 Old 11-02-2010, 02:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Frank, Charles and paranormalg35, I appreciate the kind comments!!
post #194 of 388 Old 11-02-2010, 03:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Frank, Charles and paranormalg35, I appreciate the kind comments!!

So does this mean you're done upgrading for a while? If so, your wallet will appreciate that. Enjoy what you have for a while before thinking about anything else.
post #195 of 388 Old 11-02-2010, 03:22 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

So does this mean you're done upgrading for a while? If so, your wallet will appreciate that. Enjoy what you have for a while before thinking about anything else.

I agree sit back and enjoy

Frank
post #196 of 388 Old 11-02-2010, 03:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I agree sit back and enjoy

Haha, while I do have a lot of fun using and enjoying the system, I am not quite done yet, just a couple of small things before I'll take the back seat... I've had my eyes on a Rythmic sub for the 2 channel rig, as a lot of people agree it's one of the most musical subs. Also, not likely but I might just audition some other speakers - I find nothing wrong with mine, but I've never compared speakers in my home, always at the dealer...

My wife thinks I'm done!!
post #197 of 388 Old 11-02-2010, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Haha, while I do have a lot of fun using and enjoying the system, I am not quite done yet, just a couple of small things before I'll take the back seat... I've had my eyes on a Rythmic sub for the 2 channel rig, as a lot of people agree it's one of the most musical subs. Also, not likely but I might just audition some other speakers - I find nothing wrong with mine, but I've never compared speakers in my home, always at the dealer...

Well, I AM done once I figure out what to do with this $500 credit with The Cable Company. So there.
post #198 of 388 Old 11-02-2010, 02:01 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

i have a rythimik d15se and i must say that it is with out a doubt superb musically and also great for movies. i prefer it while listening to music over the dual SVS's. make no mistake though it still packs a punch in the LFE department and is very capable with movies and such. I say def get one if thats what your considering!
post #199 of 388 Old 11-02-2010, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, I AM done once I figure out what to do with this $500 credit with The Cable Company. So there.

You sure made a nice purchase with the Macs, so I figured you'd lay low for a while. But we'll be watching you closely!!!
post #200 of 388 Old 11-02-2010, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranormalg35 View Post

i have a rythimik d15se and i must say that it is with out a doubt superb musically and also great for movies. i prefer it while listening to music over the dual SVS's. make no mistake though it still packs a punch in the LFE department and is very capable with movies and such. I say def get one if thats what your considering!

Thank you for the input!! Definitely I have not heard one bad thing about their products and on top of that, they are very reasonably priced at around $700. I remember paying more than that for my Velodyne at Circuit City about 9 years ago.

My thought is to integrate the Rythmic with the 2 channel, just like you did and run the Velodyne for movies. I am happy you chimed in with this info, thanks again!!
post #201 of 388 Old 11-03-2010, 03:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you for the input!! Definitely I have not heard one bad thing about their products and on top of that, they are very reasonably priced at around $700. I remember paying more than that for my Velodyne at Circuit City about 9 years ago.

My thought is to integrate the Rythmic with the 2 channel, just like you did and run the Velodyne for movies. I am happy you chimed in with this info, thanks again!!

I don't know. . . is a new sub a "small thing"?
post #202 of 388 Old 02-20-2011, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I went to our local audio store yesterday and since I had a bit of time, I decided to audition some new speakers... Mainly the 805di's which I heard many good things about. Well, in their room, with their gear and source I could not accurately gauge them, but I compared them with a pair of Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M's which were also on display.

I must say, the midrange in the Sonus Fabers stirred my interest to the point where I scheduled a demo at my house. The salesman will bring them tomorrow. I asked him to also bring the 805di's, since I am still interested in them but he said he might not be able to fit everything in his car.

I've got REW all ready to go, my demo songs and so forth. I'll see how my MA's measure up against the contenders. It should be fun...
post #203 of 388 Old 02-20-2011, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I went to our local audio store yesterday and since I had a bit of time, I decided to audition some new speakers... Mainly the 805di's which I heard many good things about. Well, in their room, with their gear and source I could not accurately gauge them, but I compared them with a pair of Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M's which were also on display.

I must say, the midrange in the Sonus Fabers stirred my interest to the point where I scheduled a demo at my house. The salesman will bring them tomorrow. I asked him to also bring the 805di's, since I am still interested in them but he said he might not be able to fit everything in his car.

I've got REW all ready to go, my demo songs and so forth. I'll see how my MA's measure up against the contenders. It should be fun...

A home audition on your equipment, in your room. Very good. And I assume the contenders will each get a chance in the position they'd actually occupy in the room if purchased.
post #204 of 388 Old 02-20-2011, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Charles, yes I have masking tape on the floor so that I can place them exactly in the same spot...
post #205 of 388 Old 02-20-2011, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This is what they look like...

post #206 of 388 Old 02-20-2011, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Hey ddgtr.

What's shaking?

You thinking about a new set speakers? Way cool. The SF's are gorgeous looking speakers. I look forward to your thoughts on them vs the B&Ws.

P.S. Don't forget to take plenty of pics.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #207 of 388 Old 02-20-2011, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wabo, what is up! Happy late Bday!!

Yeah, I really wanted to listen to the B&W 805di's but the Sonus Fabers really got my attention because of their unbelievable midrange.

I can't wait for tomorrow. I'll take some pics and let y'all know how it went...

I've been playing around with REW, which has helped me to better understand my room and gear. It is quite a fascinating piece of software...

Did you get anything fun for your birthday?
post #208 of 388 Old 02-20-2011, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Quote:

Wabo, what is up! Happy late Bday!!

Yeah, I really wanted to listen to the B&W 805di's but the Sonus Fabers really got my attention because of their unbelievable midrange.

I can't wait for tomorrow. I'll take some pics and let y'all know how it went...

I've been playing around with REW, which has helped me to better understand my room and gear. It is quite a fascinating piece of software...

Did you get anything fun for your birthday?

Thanks, dd.

I haven't listened to the SF's before. To me, and this is just my warped opinion, they look really fragile. Like if you were to crank up some rock n roll thru them, they would simply melt. On the other hand, I really like the B&W Diamond line. Your mini speaker shoot-out should be a fun one. I wish I lived closer, I'd love to participate and help out.

REW sounds very interesting and has me intrigued. Did you use it to decide on room treatment placements?

The only thing I got for my bday was a punch in the shoulder.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #209 of 388 Old 02-21-2011, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member

They look as if they should walk away...

With those stands, I think of weird, alien creatures from another planet. I'm sure they'll sound good, but the question is how good in comparison to the other contenders. Reports to follow, undoubtedly.
post #210 of 388 Old 02-21-2011, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Thanks, dd.

I haven't listened to the SF's before. To me, and this is just my warped opinion, they look really fragile. Like if you were to crank up some rock n roll thru them, they would simply melt. On the other hand, I really like the B&W Diamond line. Your mini speaker shoot-out should be a fun one. I wish I lived closer, I'd love to participate and help out.

REW sounds very interesting and has me intrigued. Did you use it to decide on room treatment placements?

The only thing I got for my bday was a punch in the shoulder.

Haha, yeah they do look a bit frail... But man, hooked up to an all Mac setup, they sounded amazing. All jazzy/voice recordings though, I didn't listen to anything harder. I'll put them through their paces though as my library stretches from Eminem and old school Dr. Dre and Co. to Ramstein, Melody Gardot and Xiomara to Mozart and David Garrett to Zap Mama...

I started using REW shortly after I started building the room treatments (which took a while), and I learned a lot about audio in general, it's quite an amazing program...
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Pioneer Elite Pro 151fd 60 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Onkyo Tx Sr805 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver Silver , Polk Audio Owm5 Multi Purpose Home Theater Speaker White , Polk Audio Owm3 On Wall Speaker Pair White , Pioneer Bdp 51fd Bonusview Blu Ray Player , Harmony 880 Advanced Universal Remote
Gear in this thread - 151fd by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page