post #1 of 388 Old 12-09-2008, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13

UPDATED: NEW PICS AND EQUIPMENT.

For 2 channel listening:

Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M (replaced Monitor Audio Gold Reference 20, also shown in pics below)

Odyssey Candela tube (12AU7) preamp with HT bypass

Pass Labs x350.5 2 channel power amplifier 350wpc, first 30 watts of pure class A power

Bryston BDA-1 DAC

dbx223XL active crossover

2 each JL Audio F112 Fathom subwoofers

Pioneer PL-530 turntable

John Kenny Modified M2Tech HiFace MK3 USB to SPDIF converter, BNC version

Streaming FLAC files from my pc using Foobar2000

Jensen IsoMax isolation transformer

Shunyata Venom Power Cord for the Pass amp

Custom made speaker cables, XLR and RCA by John Wood

Oyaide DB-510 BNC from the USB transport to the DAC

Just added: HP TouchPad 10" tablet, running the SplashTop Remote app to control the computer - eliminated keyboard and mouse!

HT 7.1 setup: All of the above plus:

Pioneer KURO Elite 9G Pro 151-FD 60" plasma

Onkyo Tx Sr 805 receiver

Polk Surrounds OWM5, Polk Surround backs OWM3, Polk center (upgrading to Sonus Faber sometime in the near future (will this addiction ever end??))

Pioneer 51FD bluray player

XBOX 360 slim in black color

Harmony 880 remote, monster RCA and monoprice HDMI, optical and digital coax cables

The room is soundproofed:

- 2 layers of 5/8" drywall with Green Glue in between, including the ceiling

- joists covered with rubber strips to prevent floorboard squeaking and sound travel

- all electrical plugs and switches, holes for in-wall cable runs have been sealed

- dedicated heating/AC unit with extra large registers and air return to minimize in room noise

Acoustic Treatments:

OC 705 bass traps: 4 pieces

OC 703 4 x 2 panels: 14 pieces

OC 703 2x 2 panels: 4 pieces

Poly diffusers: 14 pieces

All hand made by yours truly...

Other:

Panamax 5400 power conditioner/voltage regulator

Cowon D2 PMP, 8GB + 16GB expandable SDHC card

Lutron remote control dimmer

CLICK ON THE PICS TO ENLARGE

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 388 Old 12-09-2008, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #3 of 388 Old 12-09-2008, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

And finally, I couldn't have done it without the brown liquid which had remained loyal throughout the weeks it took me to isolate, troubleshoot and fix a couple of pesky ground loops. For that, it deserved a pic!!

Attachment 126461
LL
nwmusicman likes this.
post #4 of 388 Old 12-09-2008, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Added new pics... see below...
post #5 of 388 Old 12-10-2008, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 42
really nice set up you got there. Ever consider any acoustic treatment? Best money I ever spent and I'm sure it would do wonders in that room. All in all, great room.
post #6 of 388 Old 12-10-2008, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks teckademic,

Yes, that is my next step... I do have standing bass waves in the corners so I'm building bass traps out of OC703 panels. Once those are in I'll see if I need additional wall panels.
post #7 of 388 Old 12-10-2008, 01:04 AM

Liked: 10
Seeing how I'm still dealing with dial-up I'm glad you used the links

Nice setup. I like those chairs... they look kinda comfortable. Where did you get them?
post #8 of 388 Old 12-10-2008, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigre View Post

Seeing how I'm still dealing with dial-up I'm glad you used the links

Nice setup. I like those chairs... they look kinda comfortable. Where did you get them?

Thanks Tigre... Got them from a local mom and pop furniture store about 5 years ago that has since gone out of business... They are indeed very comfortable, they recline all the way back horizontal.

Danny
post #9 of 388 Old 12-10-2008, 02:05 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
ddgtr,

Wow, that's a beautiful room you have there! I don't know even where to start, it's all so nice and makes our room look like crap. Love your walls and trim moulding, and the floors are gorgeous. The drapes in the front and back, as well as the artwork on the walls, are all great touches. I like your TV and equipment stands too - seems you are a bit maxxed out on space already, though? That silver amplifier (presumably the Pass Labs) is crazy! Too bad it's not black. Love the chairs and rug, too.

I hear you on the VHS deck - still keeping my Mitsubishi Super-VHS deck even though we barely use it, just for all the tapes we still have. It's from back in the day when they actually made reliable and long lasting machines, and weighs a ton. I have an older Kenwood VCR (actually made by JVC) at work that is even better built.
post #10 of 388 Old 12-10-2008, 10:32 AM

Is that a Brazilian cherry floor or is it stained to look like one?
post #11 of 388 Old 12-10-2008, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigre View Post

Is that a Brazilian cherry floor or is it stained to look like one?

yes, it's the real thing...
post #12 of 388 Old 12-11-2008, 06:06 AM

Very beautiful setup can't wait to see the room all finished,and that is a very beautiful floor.My setup doesn't even compare.
LL
LL
post #13 of 388 Old 12-11-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techlvr33 View Post

....My setup doesn't even compare.

Wow you aint kidding! (joking of course )

Very nice room and all excellent equipment choices. Love that Kuro!
post #14 of 388 Old 12-11-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theHTguru View Post

Wow you aint kidding! (joking of course )

Very nice room and all excellent equipment choices. Love that Kuro!

Smarta$$.
post #15 of 388 Old 12-11-2008, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techlvr33 View Post

Very beautiful setup can't wait to see the room all finished,and that is a very beautiful floor.My setup doesn't even compare.

Not true, I love the look of your fronts with all them drivers ready to blast... Used to have a pair of Infinitys Alpha 50, great speakers, looked very much like yours. Bass was so good I did not need a sub. I sold them to get the Monitors because of a bit better midrange and highs, but in the bass dept. the Infinitys ruled. I assume yours sound awesome, too...
post #16 of 388 Old 12-12-2008, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Hello ddgtr!

A very impressive system indeed.
A very nice layout with high quality components.
I love how you've integrated the 2 channel system with the multi-channel capability, without compromise to the 2 channel performance (in theory, at least ).
The Monitor Reference Gold towers are very nice, but I do have a question for you.... the Polk Audio CS400i center channel..... Although a fine center channel, but as far as tonal compatibility is concerned, is the Polk a good match with the Monitor GR20's? Do they have similar tweeters? I own a CS400i which is mated to a pair of RTi70 towers, FXi3 surrounds and a Velodyne CHT-12 sub. That setup is my family room. And I often wonder if the Polk speaker would be more effective with my main system compared to my Klipsch speaker package.

What I really appreciate about your system is the 2 channel set up.
Does the components of the 2 channel setup stand alone without the Onkyo 805? If so, how do you engage the multi-channel audio with movies, tv and multi-channel music, (if you indulge in the formats, SACD/DVD-A ) In other words, how do you get the GR20's to become part of the multi-channel configuration?

Anyway, very beautiful setup. You've done good.
How's the cable management coming along?!!!

Regards!

"Chance favors only the prepared mind. "Louis Pasteur"

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #17 of 388 Old 12-12-2008, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^^ Thanks so much for the kind words...

To me, the Polk center channel blends in pretty well with the Monitor Audios and overall I am fairly satisfied with it. A Monitor center channel is in the works, I may get one in a few months... That being said, my main focus is not surround sound but 2 channel audio around which I have built my whole system... I know having a mismatched center is not the "politically correct" thing to do, but it works for me... - for the time being.

The components of the 2 channel do stand alone without the 805, and the preamp is at the center of this: it has an HT bypass switch which when selected, disables preamp volume control and surrenders it to the 805, allowing signal passthrough. The front preouts of the 805 go to one of the preamp's inputs (HT).

So in HT mode, the 805 is the prepro, with it's internal amps handling the center and rears and with the fronts (preouts) getting sent through the preamp to the amplifier. This way, I can make full use of all codecs, including the hidef ones. It really works well. I'm rambling, is this making any sense?? The key to all this integration is the preamp having the HT bypass feature.

One more thing, I have the 805 set the crossovers to full for the fronts. From the preamp, I'm going line level into the sub, which does the high/low pass filtering then out to the amp and speakers. This lets me use the sub when listening to the 2 channel setup.

In 2 channel, the 805 is totally out of the picture. And I must say that I am pretty happy with the way it sounds. I can't wait for the last piece to arrive, the Bryston DAC. Should be here in a few days. By all accounts, it should make an even bigger impact... It'd better!!! I also like the Monitors, especially the midrange and highs. They do a great job especially with female vocals... Of course the amp being as transparent as it is and the touch of warmth the tubes add to the mix definitely give the Monitors a boost.

Cable management, hmmm, I think I'm surpassing everyone - backwards!! In the back of my components there probably resides the worst "bird's nest" this thread has seen. I'll try to take a picture and claim the trophy!!

Aaron, thanks for posting... I also appreciate things that are well built. That is why I made some sacrifices and got the amp and preamp from people who put their hearts in what they do. They are hand made, built like tanks (the amp weighs in at 110+ lbs) and the service and warranties are unbelievable. Not to mention the sound. To me, that is worth a lot considering the mediocre (at best) products that are being put out there. That's why I appreciate how you've built your speakers from scratch. I've done some research on that and although simple as a concept, the level of detail necessary to make it right is overwhelming...

Also let me thank you again for helping me out with that crossover dilemma. Learned a lot from your reply!!

Pictures of unorganized cables in the back coming soon pending assurances from the pest control company that there are no rats or other creatures (usually residing in super messy places) that might suddenly attack amateur photographers...

out.
post #18 of 388 Old 12-13-2008, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Hello ddgtr.

Thank you for the break down of your configuration. I really wish I could accomplished what you have. Two independent systems perfectly integrated. The best I can come up with is 2 audio racks, one dedicated to audio, the other to video with all components routed thru an AVR! Although, I must admit that it is pretty cool that I can accommodate all 12 components with a single AVR. My system falls very short when compared to your 2 channel setup and performance. The Odyssey Candela 12AU7 tube preamp with HT bypass is a nice piece of equipment and I'm sure the Bryston DAC will bring your 2 channel performance to a completely different level.
As far as the Onkyo goes regarding the tonal quality of the Polk center channel and the Monitor Audio towers, I know that the 805 possess the Audessey calibration system? Does it have the ability to make any corrections in the timbre differences between the center and fronts if needed?

Love the Pass Labs Amp also!

Regards.

"Chance favors only the prepared mind. "Louis Pasteur"

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #19 of 388 Old 12-26-2008, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi ddgtr, lovely room! I noticed your excellent help in the 805 thread, then the link in your sig, hence discovered this sub-forum that was unbeknownst to me, and finally am happily posting away now.

I wish you would have me over so that I could touch the Pass Labs, so that I could then say I once touched a Pass Labs.

+1 on room treatments. I am now a huge, huge proponent.

Congrats!

post #20 of 388 Old 12-27-2008, 01:45 PM

Wonderful big room and setup ddgtr, especially having the MA gold's in there as your fronts. Great stuff mate !
post #21 of 388 Old 12-27-2008, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^^ Thanks jostenmeat and THE_FORCE, you are too kind!
post #22 of 388 Old 12-28-2008, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by jostenmeat View Post

I wish you would have me over so that I could touch the Pass Labs, so that I could then say I once touched a Pass Labs.

And then you would say, Damn that amp gets a whole lot hotter than the Onkyo!

Agree with rest of the member a wonderful, and good looking room.

DJoel
post #23 of 388 Old 12-29-2008, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

And then you would say, Damn that amp gets a whole lot hotter than the Onkyo!

lol, no onkyo bashing! haha, I have a class A integrated myself, but it switches to B at 10w, where Pass switches quite a bit higher... so, I'm sure those beefy sinks help...

I've also heard that the Candela pre ddgtr has got is supposed to be a sleeper at the price...

post #24 of 388 Old 12-29-2008, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

lol, no onkyo bashing! haha, I have a class A integrated myself, but it switches to B at 10w, where Pass switches quite a bit higher... so, I'm sure those beefy sinks help...

I've also heard that the Candela pre ddgtr has got is supposed to be a sleeper at the price...

Not at all, it's pretty much expected to relate an Onkyo piece with a hot day in July..I've own two Onkyo, a pre/pro and a AVR I can't tell you with one got HOTTER!

On another note I've been eye balling a Pass Lab amp myself, they sure are pruty! I wouldn't mind the heat sink marks up and down my arms

DJoel
post #25 of 388 Old 12-30-2008, 04:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Nice set-up ddgtr! I like the colors. I'm sure it plays with authority. I'm lusting after your amp right now...a good mutli-channel amp is next on my list...
post #26 of 388 Old 12-30-2008, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Indeed, it is very reasonable even when purchased new. I got a great deal on the gon, only 3 months old. I must say that I bought it based on discussions with Candela owners here in an AVS thread - great feedback and help from those gentlemen. Needless to say it really impressed me. I was using the 805 as a prepro and in Pure mode it really rocked together with the Pass, but when I added the Candela the sound opened up, very clear and easy to listen to. I think I will keep it, at least for a while until a new wave of upgraditis epidemic hits again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

Not at all, it's pretty much expected to relate an Onkyo piece with a hot day in July..I've own two Onkyo, a pre/pro and a AVR I can't tell you with one got HOTTER!

On another note I've been eye balling a Pass Lab amp myself, they sure are pruty! I wouldn't mind the heat sink marks up and down my arms

DJoel

Amen, them Onks are like 60k btu shop heaters!! Tell you what though, I've run a 676 for about 8 years in a closed cabinet with only 2" at the top and no fan: never had a problem with it. I'll use it to setup a 5.1 for the wife in the living room now that I moved all my stuff in the game room...

Good luck with the Pass purchase, you will NOT regret it!! Never thought of it until you mentioned, but heat sink marks on the forearms would be the audio man's equivalent to the ShaoLin monks moving the giant boiling pot for the ultimate gongfu test... (Can you tell I like old gongfu movies?)
DJoel, I gotta say it, I love the car analogy line in your sig, it's as funny as it is true!!!!

croseiv, any thoughts on which multichannel amp would best complement your setup?

ld, I did it!! Thanks for the instructions, it worked like a charm!

Wishing everyone a Happy New Year!!
post #27 of 388 Old 12-30-2008, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post

Indeed, it is very reasonable even when purchased new. I got a great deal on the gon, only 3 months old. I must say that I bought it based on discussions with Candela owners here in an AVS thread - great feedback and help from those gentlemen. Needless to say it really impressed me. I was using the 805 as a prepro and in Pure mode it really rocked together with the Pass, but when I added the Candela the sound opened up, very clear and easy to listen to. I think I will keep it, at least for a while until a new wave of upgraditis epidemic hits again...

I bet it sounds like heavenly bliss, the Candela with the Pass that is.
Tubes and Class A amps are what sweet sonic dream are made of

Quote:

Amen, them Onks are like 60k btu shop heaters!! Tell you what though, I've run a 676 for about 8 years in a closed cabinet with only 2" at the top and no fan: never had a problem with it. I'll use it to setup a 5.1 for the wife in the living room now that I moved all my stuff in the game room..

I don't know where all this fear about heat has spouted from of lately, but if I can think of the culprit I would blame computers. With their sensitive insides, these are thinking machines all brains and no brawn (In my best Charles Heston voice)

Quote:

Good luck with the Pass purchase, you will NOT regret it!! Never thought of it until you mentioned, but heat sink marks on the forearms would be the audio man's equivalent to the ShaoLin monks moving the giant boiling pot for the ultimate gongfu test... (Can you tell I like old gongfu movies?)
DJoel, I gotta say it, I love the car analogy line in your sig, it's as funny as it is true!!!!

I don't know exactly when I'm getting a 2 channel amp at the moment, I got rid of my Monos, which really put a damper on my mood. Almost felt as if I gave my life long dog away, but I needed the space, and they weren't being use as much.
They had 500 watts per amp, that's hard thing to give up you know That's all I'll say about that. Holding back the tears......

I was trying to sound like a Kung Fu student, declaring my resent learned expertise, and what I'm mostly versed in
I wanted to put some kind of grunt at the end of the sentence, but never made up my mind on what. Like a HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
So I got to say your gongfu movies skills are very good, you have figured out the humor of my signature! You are a worthy opponentLol

Quote:

Wishing everyone a Happy New Year!!

Same here

Djoel
post #28 of 388 Old 12-30-2008, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Setup looks great!

Chris
post #29 of 388 Old 01-06-2009, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Finally got a chance to install the DAC. I moved the BD player on top of the preamp and inserted the DAC instead:

I will place either a laptop or a small flat screen monitor by my seat so I can control what's playing. Wireless keyboard and mouse. But enough talk, here it is:
LL
post #30 of 388 Old 01-06-2009, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

ddgtr,

That's a great looking little bar, perfoect use of the corner! So the name of that program is foobar? It looks very nice, much better than what I use (Windows Media!). I agree that using digital out of the PC (our CDs are in WAV format) into the Onkyo sounds great. Looks like you have plenty of digital inputs on that D/A, I like it! Manufacturers have really cut down on the number of S/PDIF digital inputs on receivers/processors in the past few years, in favor of HDMI, which I think is a travesty.
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Pioneer Elite Pro 151fd 60 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Onkyo Tx Sr805 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver Silver , Polk Audio Owm5 Multi Purpose Home Theater Speaker White , Polk Audio Owm3 On Wall Speaker Pair White , Pioneer Bdp 51fd Bonusview Blu Ray Player , Harmony 880 Advanced Universal Remote
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page