Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2009, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
My A1UDCI is on its way!!!! I should hopefully have it by Wednesday of this coming week. Once it arrives I will be sure to take plenty of pics. And once it's all setup and I get a chance to put it through its paces, I will share my impressions.

Seth
Old 07-31-2009, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah32 View Post

My A1UDCI is on its way!!!! I should hopefully have it by Wednesday of this coming week. Once it arrives I will be sure to take plenty of pics. And once it's all setup and I get a chance to put it through its paces, I will share my impressions.

Seth

And photos! You can't forget the photos!

Regards!

"Chance favors only the prepared mind. "Louis Pasteur"

ldgibson76

The Setup
Old 07-31-2009, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'll definitely take and share plenty of photos. If THE_FORCE lived in the states and was nearby I'd have him take the pics, as his photography skills are stellar. But I will do my best.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Man, this is exciting!! Congrats!
Old 08-01-2009, 02:20 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:

I'll definitely take and share plenty of photos. If THE_FORCE lived in the states and was nearby I'd have him take the pics, as his photography skills are stellar. But I will do my best.

Finally Its about time buddy!

Frank
Old 08-07-2009, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Finally Its about time buddy!

Thanks guys.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well after a long wait my A1UDCI is finally here! Is it everything I've been hoping it would be? So far it sure seems to be. I have put it through its paces with Blu-ray's and it was nothing short of stunning! PQ and sound are the best I've seen and heard yet from Blu-ray. The Denon Link 4th clocking on BD soundtracks works very very well.

I haven't listened to CD's and 2 channel SACD's via the balanced XLR's yet, but as soon as I do I will report back with my impressions.

And as promised here's some pics.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Awesome. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btf1980 View Post

Awesome. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

Thanks.

Over the weekend I plan on really putting it through its paces. Stay tuned for a detailed report.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:48 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

Thanks.

Over the weekend I plan on really putting it through its paces. Stay tuned for a detailed report.

Its a rainy weekend over here Seth, so will be looking forward to your review

Frank
Old 08-13-2009, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well now after having my new player for nearly a week, I have had a chance to really spend some time with it with both movies and music. Is it as good as it was hyped up to be? Most definitely!

I previously thought that my Denon 2500BTCI was as good as it gets with Blu-ray, but now that I've been using the A1UDCI I know that BD PQ can get a lot better. All of the Blu-ray movies I've played in the A1 (owned and rented) have to be the absolute best Blu-ray images I've yet seen. The PQ has a very 3 dimensional look to it, the images have real depth, which makes the images really pop. The clarity, detail, black levels, and even color is improved over the 2500. And this was before I did any tweaking of the built in HQV Realta video processing.

After I used the "Enhancer" feature that Realta offers, the images went from amazing to downright phenomenal! It added edge detail and extra clarity without any hint of artifacts. The picture was always very natural looking but razor sharp as the same time. The look is very appealing. I loved the what it did to the picture.

On the audio side of things, I connected the player using both HDMI outputs. I ran one directly to the display (video only) and the other to the Denon AVP pre/pro (audio only). Setup and configuring the A1 was pretty much straight forward using the setup guide provided by a fellow A1UD/AVP owner here on AVS. Without the help of this guide however, the whole setup process would have been a lot more complicated. These are so many features and settings on this player that it kind of reminded me of the first time I was setting up my Denon AVP pre/pro.

But along with all this complexity, comes a level of performance that really sets this player in a league all its own. But I have to say that to benefit from the HDMI using Denon Link 4th one needs to use a compatible Denon receiver or pre/pro that will accept the new Denon Link 4th. The Denon Link 4th anti jitter control re-clocks the incoming HDMI audio signal for the purest sound possible.

Another thing that really makes this player special is it's 32 bit analog section. CD playback via its 2 channel fully balanced XLR outputs is a real treat! I have a Sony CDP-XA20ES CD Player that I've used as my reference player for years, and the A1 edged it out. And that's not small feat, as the XA20 is one of the best CD players out there. The sound via the balanced connections is very smooth, and it has no edginess or digital glare to the sound. The sound has a bit of warmth that makes listening to CD's a pleasure, as one can listen for hours without listener fatigue.

SACD and DVD-A via Denon Link is superb! A pure DSD stream is achieved using Denon's proprietary Denon Link connection, and it offers the purest sound. Separation, detail, soundstage, and dynamics are excellent, and easily the best I've head from my SACD/DVD-A collection. I have not tried out the 7.1 analog outs for SACD/DVD-A as I'm using Denon Link for that. But from what I've read from others that do use them, the sound is stunning! I may at some point try them just to see how they compare to Denon Link.

Load times while not the fastest around, are still respectable and actually faster than my Denon 2500BTCI. Normal load times on discs with plenty of BD Java content took approx. 40-45 seconds from tray close to the FBI warning screen. Menu load times took 12-14 seconds. Player boot up from off took only 3 seconds using quick start. For me a wait of around a minute total time is no biggie at all, especially considering the phenomenal PQ and sound that is offered by this player.

Remote responsiveness is very good to excellent. Some A1 owners have mentioned that their remotes are a bit sluggish and not very quick to respond to commands. I have found the remote to be very responsive and all commands that I have used worked flawlessly and quickly. I love the fact that the entire remote buttons are backlit (and very easy to see in the dark). The remote buttons are well arranged and easy to get to, and the feel of the remote is really nice (it's actually got some heft to it).

The GUI setup menu is very nice and is very similar in style to my Denon AVP. So navigating my way around was actually fairly easy. There are many layers of pages in the GUI, and as such will take a little while to learn everything. But I'd rather have many options than not enough. As even if I don't need everything now, it is still nice to have on board in the event that I ever do.

Firmware updates using the the players GUI was pretty painless. My A1 didn't update completely the first time I tried, but the second time around it updated smoothly and successfully. It showed the status of the update in the players display window.

The build quality of this player is pretty darn impressive! The weight of the player is a scale tipping 42 lbs, which is around the weight of some AV receivers. Fit and finish is first rate also. I have to say that the A1 is the most elegant player I've seen, with its sculpted wave front which matches my AVP and 2500BTCI quite nicely.

Another thing which makes the A1 stand out is the fact that It's an all in house designed and built player by Denon. Even the transport is all Denon's own design and build. And what a transport it is, the mechanism is super smooth and ultra quiet. The thin all aluminum tray is really slick!

So in conclusion, the A1UDCI is everything I hoped it would be and then some. It's a player with brawn and finesse. It delivers stunning PQ and sound, has superb build quality, and very elegant styling. Denon raised the bar very high with this player. I hope it gives me many years of enjoyment.

Seth
Old 08-18-2009, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Glad to see the player had met your expectations. At the MSRP, shoot, it better.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Holy Schnikies that's a great collection of gear!

I tell you what, I'd pay whatever it takes to listen to one movie on your system.

Great job on assembling a truly outstanding home theater system. Yours really is a "home theater".
Old 08-19-2009, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btf1980 View Post

Glad to see the player had met your expectations. At the MSRP, shoot, it better.

Thanks.

Yes it definitely met my expectations. And you're right, at it's price it better.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

Holy Schnikies that's a great collection of gear!

I tell you what, I'd pay whatever it takes to listen to one movie on your system.

Great job on assembling a truly outstanding home theater system. Yours really is a "home theater".

Thank you for the very nice compliments on my setup.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Hey Seth, that's a heck of a review you've written, nicely done! Glad you're enjoying that beast!!
Old 08-20-2009, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post

Hey Seth, that's a heck of a review you've written, nicely done! Glad you're enjoying that beast!!

Thanks.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:27 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

OHYEAH32, that screen! Holy hell man! I had never heard an Martin Logan electrostatic until last year and my brother and I were blown away at the sound. The sales guy played something like latin jazz with hand claps and percussion mixed with spanish guitars and everything sounded so alive and "there" in the best sense of the word. The guitars had the proper weight and texture while the hand claps were surreal.

Hi Seth I thought I will take the liberty in posting this in your thread (it was posted in my thread)it was some nice words by mvision7m

Frank
Old 10-28-2009, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 783
Hey Seth, you've been holding out on me. I had to find out about your thread from Frank's thread. Yeah I know, it takes me awhile. I love lookin' at your pictures. Awesome as always, mi amigo.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
Old 10-29-2009, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Hi Seth I thought I will take the liberty in posting this in your thread (it was posted in my thread)it was some nice words by mvision7m

Thanks for sharing that Frank. It's always nice to read comments like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Hey Seth, you've been holding out on me. I had to find out about your thread from Frank's thread. Yeah I know, it takes me awhile. I love lookin' at your pictures. Awesome as always, mi amigo.

Hey bud, sorry about not letting you know about this thread. I figured it's only my system thread, so it didn't even cross my mind. Thanks for dropping in to say hey! Thanks for the kind words on my system also.

Now you need to start a thread here on your setup.

Seth
Old 10-30-2009, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey bud, sorry about not letting you know about this thread. I figured it's only my system thread, so it didn't even cross my mind. Thanks for dropping in to say hey! Thanks for the kind words on my system also.

I'm glad I finally stumbled upon your great thread Seth.

Quote:

Now you need to start a thread here on your setup.

Seth

I don't know about that. I used to think of myself as a pretty decent photographer. Then I started looking at everyone's pics here, and have since come to the conclusion... I suck.

Old 10-30-2009, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm glad I finally stumbled upon your great thread Seth.

Thanks bud.

Quote:
I don't know about that. I used to think of myself as a pretty decent photographer. Then I started looking at everyone's pics here, and have since come to the conclusion... I suck.

I've seen some of your pics (especially the newest ones showing your projector and screen) and I think they look just fine.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
are you a millionaire?? what's your profession?
Old 10-31-2009, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm just a serious AVphile who's been fortunate enough to be able to acquire his dream system.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Don't let him fool you. Seth is an A/V rock star!!

Old 10-31-2009, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks bud.

I've seen some of your pics (especially the newest ones showing your projector and screen) and I think they look just fine.

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement, my friend.

Old 11-01-2009, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Don't let him fool you. Seth is an A/V rock star!!

Thanks bud.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement, my friend.

You're welcome.

So now that you know that your pics are actually pretty decent, any possibility of starting your own thread? No pressure.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You're welcome.

So now that you know that your pics are actually pretty decent, any possibility of starting your own thread? No pressure.

Thanks for the gentle nudge. I'm the king of procrastination.

Tags
Martin Logan , Marantz Av8801 , Toshiba Hd Xa2 1080p Hd Dvd Player , Sony Bdp S300 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Lg Electronics 84lm9600 84 Inch Uhd 4k , Ads Technologies