Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 84 Old 01-30-2009, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello Roger That.

I want to commend you on your well put together system.
You get a "10" just for the atmosphere. And view you have is just beautiful.
The Aperions are very nice speakers. Audiophile quality for sure.
I see you have the PS3. A very versatile machine. Do you utilize the server capability for music storage and 2 channel playback? The reason I ask is because the Aperions will really shine with high quality recordings (lossless). Not to mention the high quality amps in the Onkyo. Two channel should be outstanding.

Regards.

"Chance favors only the prepared mind. "Louis Pasteur"

ldgibson76

The Setup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 84 Old 01-31-2009, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by friscochris View Post

----->

thats all I did when I saw your setup and view... The saying goes don't hate the player, hate the game... well.... I hate you....

Very Nice!

HAHA! I take that as a very high compliment, indeed. It's funny, because while I'm VERY happy with my setup, I still see things on here that make me do the same thing. Grass is always greener, I suppose. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldgibson76 View Post

Hello Roger That.

I want to commend you on your well put together system.
You get a "10" just for the atmosphere. And view you have is just beautiful.
The Aperions are very nice speakers. Audiophile quality for sure.
I see you have the PS3. A very versatile machine. Do you utilize the server capability for music storage and 2 channel playback? The reason I ask is because the Aperions will really shine with high quality recordings (lossless). Not to mention the high quality amps in the Onkyo. Two channel should be outstanding.

Regards.

Another person with whom I'm flattered to receive a compliment from. I'm amazed at all you folks here who have such great setups, only to compliment mine so highly. Really means a lot, and I'm thrilled that I found this place. Thank you very much.

To answer your question, I haven't delved much into music yet, but definitely will. What little I have, though, has been outstanding.

A couple people messaged me asking for more specific view pics. Happy oblige...I'm nothing if not proud of my digs!

First one is Soldier Field and Lake Michigan. The directly to the left and then right of that.

post #33 of 84 Old 01-31-2009, 02:11 PM

Looks great!! Nice view nice set up must be pretty impressive when you bring the females home for a flick huh???
post #34 of 84 Old 01-31-2009, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdems83 View Post

Looks great!! Nice view nice set up must be pretty impressive when you bring the females home for a flick huh???

Giggity, Giggity!

"Chance favors only the prepared mind. "Louis Pasteur"

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #35 of 84 Old 02-01-2009, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks! Doesn't hurt, no.
post #36 of 84 Old 02-20-2009, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
nice setup, and nice pad!! i used to live about 35min outside of Chicago, seeing your views makes me wat to visit SOOO badly

have you had any more time to check out the music side of these speakers? im boucing around brands for my upgrade, which would probably be bookshelfs similar to yours. however, ill be doing a LOT of music listening.

also, is there anything specific you DONT like? i know thats a weird thing to ask, but its easy to say "oh its sweet" but that doesnt exactly help when making a decision

2.0 > 7.1
post #37 of 84 Old 02-20-2009, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaphile View Post

nice setup, and nice pad!! i used to live about 35min outside of Chicago, seeing your views makes me wat to visit SOOO badly

have you had any more time to check out the music side of these speakers? im boucing around brands for my upgrade, which would probably be bookshelfs similar to yours. however, ill be doing a LOT of music listening.

also, is there anything specific you DONT like? i know thats a weird thing to ask, but its easy to say "oh its sweet" but that doesnt exactly help when making a decision

Thanks for the compliments!

It's tough for me to suggest that these are any better than similarly priced or quality-level brands, as I didn't audition others. But I still have almost no complaints about this purchase. Sound stage, dynamics, clarity...all great in my book.

The only thing that I've found that's frustrating is that these speakers hide nothing. That means, if your source material is poor, it will be reflected very accurately. That may be a funny thing to say, but if your favorite movie or CD was poorly recorded, you're about to find that out.

That said, if it's a quality recording, you're in for a treat. Music, movies, TV have all been great with this purchase.

Like I said, I can't reference many other brands, but with the great customer service and 30 day in-home trial, it's tough to go wrong when you consider trying them. I remain very happy with my decision to purchase and keep them.
post #38 of 84 Old 02-20-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger That View Post

The only thing that I've found that's frustrating is that these speakers hide nothing. That means, if your source material is poor, it will be reflected very accurately. That may be a funny thing to say, but if your favorite movie or CD was poorly recorded, you're about to find that out.

maybe you should start looking into purchasing some music in high res. 96/24 DVD-A OR SACD...
post #39 of 84 Old 02-20-2009, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

maybe you should start looking into purchasing some music in high res. 96/24 DVD-A OR SACD...

Indeed.

Don't misunderstand, though. I didn't mean all recordings. Just meant bad recordings. Some CD's qualify, but hardly the majority. Same can be said for bad transfers to BD and the like.

Sorry if I misspoke.
post #40 of 84 Old 02-20-2009, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

glad to hear the only bad thing is how good they are haha

i do have two more questions. sorry, its just that you have the same speakers im looking at.

1) how is the sub? to be completely honest, its a good deal more than i want to spend, but if its a helluva room shaker, i might be convinced to splurge
2) what are the demensions of your listening room? this si just to see if it compares much to mine, because you seem to be very happy with your setup

thanks for any and all feedback you can give

2.0 > 7.1
post #41 of 84 Old 02-20-2009, 12:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger That View Post

Surprisingly, it doesn't. When there's no furniture in it, it definitely does, but once you get stuff in there, the room deadens pretty well. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but it's true.

It may improve but it still looks like an acoustic horror.....even though it looks gorgeous.

Quote:

I really want to do some sound treatments, but A) I can't drill into the walls, and B) the more I read about acoustically treating a room, the more it confuses me. It sounds surprisingly good without it, so I'm hesitant to mess with it much.

I would not hesitate. BTW, get those surround speakers off the tables.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #42 of 84 Old 02-20-2009, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

glad to hear the only bad thing is how good they are haha

i do have two more questions. sorry, its just that you have the same speakers im looking at.

1) how is the sub? to be completely honest, its a good deal more than i want to spend, but if its a helluva room shaker, i might be convinced to splurge
2) what are the demensions of your listening room? this si just to see if it compares much to mine, because you seem to be very happy with your setup

thanks for any and all feedback you can give

Again, I must enforce my disclaimer that I can only post my reaction to this one product, not "it compared to other choices." There are a lot of good subs and speakers out there.

That said, the 12D is amazing to my ears. It is a LOT of sub for the size. And the best part is, it fills the room without being obvious as to where it's coming from. Some subs are very boomy and don't hide their location well. Not the case, in my experience.

Oh, and the room is basically 15X20, though the one end opens to the kitchen, adding about another 10 feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

It may improve but it still looks like an acoustic horror.....even though it looks gorgeous.

Appreciate that. And yes, it definitely looks worse acoustically than it sounds. However, I fully acknowledge that it can't (and likely never will) compete with the acoustically superior locations that many of you use.

Quote:

BTW, get those surround speakers off the tables.

Fully intend to. While the stands that Aperion sells to pair with the 5B's are excellent, the 4B counterparts do not have the same luck. Without that obvious pairing, I'm busy trying to find stands that fit them well. Would love to find some that work well, and raise them considerably higher.
post #43 of 84 Old 02-22-2009, 10:18 AM

Looks really good. Maybe some close up shots of the speakers???
post #44 of 84 Old 02-24-2009, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

+1 for more speaker shots

i hate to keep bothering you with all these questions, but do you know the height of the stands for the 5B? they look like the aperion stands, but i cant find dimensions on their website

again, sorry with all the questions. i am just 90% sure ill be getting a pair of 5B's and a 5C, and im finding out there arent many peopl on here that post aperion setups

EDIT: oops. i saw that they are studio tech stands and that they have 24" and 30". that being said, what size do you have and do you like them?

2.0 > 7.1
post #45 of 84 Old 02-24-2009, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

EDIT: oops. i saw that they are studio tech stands and that they have 24" and 30". that being said, what size do you have and do you like them?

Not sure where you're getting that from. They're the i29's from Aperion's site. If you click on the "Features" tab on any of their products, you'll see dimensions. In the case of these stands, they're 29", and pretty well constructed. No complaints.

Don't have any more pics yet of the speakers. Not sure what angle to snap for ya that aren't already represented here. But I'll try to think of something.
post #46 of 84 Old 02-24-2009, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Wait...I see what you're seeing. I guess the 6B stands are Studio Tech. The 5B's, though, aren't...at least, they're not advertised as that.
post #47 of 84 Old 02-25-2009, 05:42 AM
Advanced Member

ahh... yeah, i looked at the 6B and posted that, then the 5B and saw they werent and then just got fed up and didnt want to have 100 edited posts

thats good that you like them. 30" seems quite high though. i checked out studio tech's website and they have 24" stands that seem pretty cool. and the stand is designed to filled with sand or somethign similar for added weight/stability. i just may have to pick those up. but thanks again for your opinion!

i still cant get over how clean your setup is

2.0 > 7.1
post #48 of 84 Old 03-11-2009, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Added i31 stands for my 4B's. Not sure how I feel about them yet...

post #49 of 84 Old 03-11-2009, 02:32 PM

I had some similar stands of my rears that are about the same size and I felt the same. you kinda like them but see your fronts and like that look more. I took mine back. Are your speakers up side down?
post #50 of 84 Old 03-11-2009, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Are your speakers up side down?

Nope. They have the posts on the top of them.
post #51 of 84 Old 03-21-2009, 04:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Nice aesthetic matching of the components, furnitures, and the room. All minimalist, clean, my style...
post #52 of 84 Old 03-21-2009, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda View Post

Nice aesthetic matching of the components, furnitures, and the room. All minimalist, clean, my style...

Thanks, Veda. I appreciate that!
post #53 of 84 Old 03-21-2009, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

nice setup. i saw the 1st pic, and i knew it was downtown.

chasing rattles ......

Pro8100 Cult member
post #54 of 84 Old 05-04-2009, 08:51 PM

Very nice setup. Where did you get your a/v stand from?

Keep up the good work!
post #55 of 84 Old 05-05-2009, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyMagic View Post

Very nice setup. Where did you get your a/v stand from?

Keep up the good work!

Thanks!

It's ironic that you ask about the stand, as I literally JUST replaced it. I was having space issues with my Onkyo, and wanted to give it room to breathe.

To answer your question, I have no idea what the brand is...I just bought it from Circuit City when I picked up the TV 18 months ago. Was way more concerned with the new TV than I was with the stand. Lesson learned.

When trying to think of future upgrades (new amp, upgrading the center channel, etc), I had some fairly specific things in mind, and it led me to an offering from Sanus. Really happy with it so far. Love the adjustable shelves and versitility.

Eventually, when I move into a bigger place (no plans to do so at this point), I'll look into dedicated racks, etc. But in an effort to keep things simple and clean, this is what I went with:

post #56 of 84 Old 05-06-2009, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

the new stand looks great!your already minimalist/slick looking setup just became even MORE minimalist

looks like all of your equipment now has a TON of breathing room. you may even be able to get rid of that fan

2.0 > 7.1
post #57 of 84 Old 05-06-2009, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

the new stand looks great!your already minimalist/slick looking setup just became even MORE minimalist

looks like all of your equipment now has a TON of breathing room. you may even be able to get rid of that fan

HAHA...way ahead of you there. It was the only thing that hadn't come in when I snapped that pic.

I got one of these for the top of my AVR. Runs silent, and cools considerably.

http://www.coolerguys.com/ccstandk.html

So, no more $3 Wal-mart fan.

post #58 of 84 Old 05-27-2009, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quick update: Just ordered a whole slew of acoustic panels from GIK Acoustics. I know nothing about anything when it comes to acoustics, and given how weird the room is (odd shape/openings, concrete, glass everywhere), I was afraid that it would either cost me $10k just to get it under control, or that it would be tough for them to assess from only having pictures to work with.

I was wrong. HUGE PROPS to Glenn and Bryan at GIK for my tireless bombardment of e-mails. Insanely fast responses, and REALLY helpful advice. I rarely place an order within 24 hours of starting the process, but I have no regrets. I'm not one to do much DIY stuff, so I NEED places that can talk me through stuff, and do the heavy lifting for me. I'll pay extra for great customer service like I got from them.

It will probably be 10-14 days before they come in and I can get some pics, but if you're at all thinking about "what should I do next," try acoustic treatments, and call GIK first.

/shameless plug of my great experience

post #59 of 84 Old 05-29-2009, 01:39 PM

sounds good. Interested in your thoughts after you get the treatments.
post #60 of 84 Old 05-29-2009, 03:14 PM

Did you order their GIK ArtPanel's or just the normal ones? I am interested to hear your feedback on the sound improvements. I would think it will be quite drastic considering the environment (glass/concrete/open spaces).

By the way, great looking setup and great view.
Reply What's Your System Configuration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page